These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

EVE Getting Old?

Author
Dave Stark
#21 - 2014-06-29 08:48:17 UTC
oh look, another eve is dying thread.
Christus Estnatus Hemanseh
Doomheim
#22 - 2014-06-29 09:26:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Christus Estnatus Hemanseh
EVE is not getting old, it's actually getting purer.

As it's impossible to purifiy the ore without wasting the useless matrix, then EVE is losing in size what it gains in strength. But the precedents are astounding!:

Quote:
1Then Hardenthefuckup, also known as CCP, got up early along with all of his players. They encamped near the Tranquility server. The Nullsec encampment lay in the valley to their north, near the blue doughnout.

2THOR told CCP, “You have too many players with you for me to drop Nullsec into their hands, because EVE would become arrogant and say, ‘It was my own abilities that delivered me.’

3That’s why you’re to ask in full view of the players, “Whoever is afraid of losing a ship or is carebearing may go back from EVE Online and return WoW.” So 22,000 players left and 10,000 remained.

4“There are still too many players,” THOR told CCP. “Bring them down to hisec and I’ll refine them for you there. Therefore when I say to you, ‘This one will be going with you,’ he’ll go with you, but no one may go about whom I tell you, ‘This one won’t be going with you.’”

5So he brought his soldiers down to Hisec and THOR told CCP, “You are to cull out everyone who runs missions like a bot from everyone who ganks miners.”

6The contingent of players who ganked miners and bumped them numbered 300 men, but everyone else would run missions.

7Then THOR told CCP, “I’m going to deliver you with the 300 players who ganked by giving the Nullsec into your control. Send everyone else back to WoW.”

8So the players took their ships with them, along with their jump clones, and CCP sent all the rest of the players of EVE back to their WoW guilds, but he retained the 300 eleet. And the Nullsec encampment was below him in the server...

It worked out before! It will work now! Praise the 300 and scorn the 22,000 and the 9,700! There's a bright future ahead, and THOR will pay the bills!

(So we hope...)
BrundleMeth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#23 - 2014-06-29 10:22:38 UTC  |  Edited by: BrundleMeth
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:
Good sir, I have started playing EVE during a summer. And it wasn't like this. Summer has nothing to do with it Straight

Summer has everything to do with it. This happens every year. You didn't notice when you started because you'd only just started. People who have just started have no idea.

Yes, EVE is old. In our throw-away society, that usually carries connotations of 'obsolete'. But there's a reason for its age - it's success. And the reason it's successful is because it's still the only game that offers what it does, a single-shard meta-gaming multiplayer experience like no other.

Fixed it

... it's still the only game that offers what it does, another bunch of things nerfed in every new release...
Obunagawe
#24 - 2014-06-29 10:30:36 UTC
PLEX prices.
UltraSplash
Ntak Inc.
#25 - 2014-06-29 10:32:36 UTC
Varnir Penken wrote:
Used to I'd always see around 40k on or more everyday, with probably around 60k players on the weekends. Then it dropped to around 35k on the weekdays. and about 50k on the weekends...now it just seems like it's 30k everyday no matter what time of day it is. What's goin on?

Its summer go out and get some ,,,,, Roll
Grunanca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2014-06-29 10:45:16 UTC
Varnir Penken wrote:
Good sir, I have started playing EVE during a summer. And it wasn't like this. Summer has nothing to do with it Straight

Actually it has everything to do with it... Summers are really slow and in august when people come back from vacations/real life in general, things will live up again. Happens every single year. Always have and always will.
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2014-06-29 11:30:49 UTC
Grunanca wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:

Actually it has everything to do with it... Summers are really slow and in august when people come back from vacations/real life in general, things will live up again. Happens every single year. Always have and always will.

I wouldn't be so sure.

On june 2013, the lowest averaged weekly PCU spot was recorded on the 27th, at 32,310 users. Remember, this is an average of the daily highest user count in a 7 days period (thursday to thursday, exactly).

With june 2014 soon to end, the highest point reached so far was recorded on the 5th, at 28,402 users.

So june 2014's highest is 4,000 users below june 2013's lowest. Actually we are at 2009 levels, and as july and august severely diminish activity, 2014's absolute lowest may drop below Incarna's.

Numbers don't lie: 20% of the players who were logged in in 2013 aren't logged in in 2014. And CCP just has fired 22% of its employees since december of 2013 (cancelling WoD provided a very convenient reason to dismantle the Atlanta office).

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#28 - 2014-06-29 11:33:58 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Grunanca wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure.

On june 2013, the lowest averaged weekly PCU spot was recorded on the 27th, at 32,310 users. Remember, this is an average of the daily highest user count in a 7 days period (thursday to thursday, exactly).

With june 2014 soon to end, the highest point reached so far was recorded on the 5th, at 28,402 users.

So june 2014's highest is 4,000 users below june 2013's lowest. Actually we are at 2009 levels, and as july and august severely diminish activity, 2014's absolute lowest may drop below Incarna's.

Numbers don't lie: 20% of the players who were logged in in 2013 aren't logged in in 2014. And CCP just has fired 22% of its employees since december of 2013 (cancelling WoD provided a very convenient reason to dismantle the Atlanta office).

ok then ,
Pretty ladys in the sun and The World Cup
rogue Aldebaran
Rogue Fleet
#29 - 2014-06-29 11:43:54 UTC  |  Edited by: rogue Aldebaran
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:

Summer has everything to do with it. This happens every year. You didn't notice when you started because you'd only just started. People who have just started have no idea.

Yes, EVE is old. In our throw-away society, that usually carries connotations of 'obsolete'. But there's a reason for its age - it's success. And the reason it's successful is because it's still the only game that offers what it does, a single-shard meta-gaming multiplayer experience like no other.

Same date last year had over 6000 more accounts connected to Eve (on a weekly average ). So summer has nothing to do with it. You are right though. It happens every year. It is just worst this year!!

6000 accounts divided by the average number of accounts a player has and we are looking probably at around 2500 RL players no longer playing.

Its huge! So the past success Eve had no longer seems to work. The roman empire lasted for a very long time. Still, it met its end like anything else (successful or not).
MonkeyMagic Thiesant
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2014-06-29 12:03:30 UTC  |  Edited by: MonkeyMagic Thiesant
Actual data here:

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

tldr: Eve grew strongly until about 2009, and has basically had the same population since.

Comparing with a year ago isn't very smart, because the first half of 2013 saw a big peak.
Ayuren Aakiwa
When i Look Up At The Stars I Am Filled With Rage
#31 - 2014-06-29 12:37:21 UTC
It's summer, and no large scale bloc conflicts combined with nice weather is probably a big deterrent from actually logging in. Low sec is a live and well though BearBearBear
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2014-06-29 13:19:11 UTC
rogue Aldebaran wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:

Same date last year had over 6000 more accounts connected to Eve (on a weekly average ). So summer has nothing to do with it. You are right though. It happens every year. It is just worst this year!!

6000 accounts divided by the average number of accounts a player has and we are looking probably at around 2500 RL players no longer playing.

Its huge! So the past success Eve had no longer seems to work. The roman empire lasted for a very long time. Still, it met its end like anything else (successful or not).

It's not that easy. PCU represents the maximum amount of player connected that day, which is only a fraction of the total accounts.

Assuming a straight correlation betweeen players logged in and accounts being paid, then it's easy to figure that 20% less PCU = 20% less subscriptions, which would naturally lead to 20% less revenue = 22% less employees = 20% less development expense = OMG, how did we get in here and how do we go out?

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Erin Crawford
#33 - 2014-06-29 13:31:42 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
ok then ,
Pretty ladys in the sun and The World Cup

This.
Summer and world cup.

"Those who talk don’t know. Those who know don’t talk. "

rogue Aldebaran
Rogue Fleet
#34 - 2014-06-29 13:56:24 UTC

It's not that easy. PCU represents the maximum amount of player connected that day, which is only a fraction of the total accounts.

Assuming a straight correlation betweeen players logged in and accounts being paid, then it's easy to figure that 20% less PCU = 20% less subscriptions, which would naturally lead to 20% less revenue = 22% less employees = 20% less development expense = OMG, how did we get in here and how do we go out?

I believe Eve Offline's big graph on the link I posted shows weekly average. Not maximum amount.

The two questions you raise are the two main questions CCP needs to reflect on atm:

1- How did we get here?

2- How do we make Eve better to attract / retain players ?

===

By the way, for those who think this year's world cup is a factor, during the 2010 world cup Eve had more players logged in then what we see now. Both world cups were pretty much at the same date. So...yeah!
Serene Repose
#35 - 2014-06-29 14:08:49 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Ha, you kids. The word 'old' has been loaded with associations: low quality, obsolete, tired.
That's because in modern western consumer culture we live long enough for that to seem to be the case, and new is the replacement for best. People ask what's new, not what's best.
Where the average lifespan is about 45, old means durable, wise, legitimate.

Yes EvE is mighty old, and for the majority of players the summer means don those mirror sunglasses and ascertain the various attributes of the available jiggling t-shirts.

Damn, son.

Damn skippy.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2014-06-29 15:31:04 UTC
rogue Aldebaran wrote:

I believe Eve Offline's big graph on the link I posted shows weekly average. Not maximum amount.

The two questions you raise are the two main questions CCP needs to reflect on atm:

1- How did we get here?

2- How do we make Eve better to attract / retain players ?

===

By the way, for those who think this year's world cup is a factor, during the 2010 world cup Eve had more players logged in then what we see now. Both world cups were pretty much at the same date. So...yeah!

The all time graphic shows the weekly average of daily maximum amounts (peak concurrent users): (friday PCU + saturday PCU + sunday PCU + monday PCU + tuesday PCU + wednesday PCU + thursday PCU)/7= weekly average PCU.

Varathius
Enlightened Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2014-06-29 15:42:44 UTC
Eve Online, dying since 2003.
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2014-06-29 15:52:05 UTC
Varathius wrote:
Eve Online, dying growing since 2003 -and now shrinking.

FYP.

Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#39 - 2014-06-29 16:06:04 UTC
EVE PCU is down because its summer, unless its down when its not summer, in which case its down because its winter. Or because the kids are back in school. Or because new game was just released. Or because people are kicking a ball around on TV. TLDR; EVE PCU is down year round because of reasons. There's always some reason for it to be down, it seems.

But yeah, this game is old. And in some ways it shows. Its got a bigass hideous UI. It has zoning. Craptons of zoning. It features indirect, non-twitch controls. etc.

But it is open ended, which seems to be making a bit of a comeback with games like Minecraft, DayZ, Rust... so EVE is also totally hip.

I can't decide if the never ending skill queue is a dated concept or not. I'm gonna say yes, dated, but not as much as it could be.
Reiisha
#40 - 2014-06-29 16:39:24 UTC
- The last few patches/expansions have been mostly iterations and bugfixes. There's been no real new features or overhauls. I bet when stuff like the (proper) sov overhaul, mining overhaul, ring mining etc come through you might see a few new players around.

- The game has too many mechanics that reward relative inactivity. As much as the current sov mechanic tries to promote fights (by having people fight over sbu's etc), the reality is that one only has to fight once every 24 hours at the absolute maximum. Current sov mechanics make any other fights nearly pointless. PI is a -minute-a-day affair, POS may even be a once-every-two-weeks thing.

These facets need to be overhauled to make the game more involved, but also more 'fun'. When that happens, more people will be online at the same time. Which will also naturally lead to more fights :)

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Previous page123Next page