These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

EVE Getting Old?

Author
Varnir Penken
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-06-29 00:03:06 UTC
Used to I'd always see around 40k on or more everyday, with probably around 60k players on the weekends. Then it dropped to around 35k on the weekdays. and about 50k on the weekends...now it just seems like it's 30k everyday no matter what time of day it is. What's goin on?
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2014-06-29 00:03:58 UTC
Obligatory: EVE is dying Roll

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3 - 2014-06-29 00:11:35 UTC
its summer, go outside, leer at pretty lady's with the rest of us.
Varnir Penken
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-06-29 00:13:51 UTC
Good sir, I have started playing EVE during a summer. And it wasn't like this. Summer has nothing to do with it Straight
Kaiia Gavlas Thessia
Ravens' Nest
#5 - 2014-06-29 00:20:52 UTC
Blue donuts are bad, that's why. No reason to be subbed.

RAVENS' NEST - Bringing the Dread Bomb Back

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#6 - 2014-06-29 00:24:25 UTC
Ha, you kids. The word 'old' has been loaded with associations: low quality, obsolete, tired.
That's because in modern western consumer culture we live long enough for that to seem to be the case, and new is the replacement for best. People ask what's new, not what's best.
Where the average lifespan is about 45, old means durable, wise, legitimate.

Yes EvE is mighty old, and for the majority of players the summer means don those mirror sunglasses and ascertain the various attributes of the available jiggling t-shirts.

Damn, son.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-06-29 00:35:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Varnir Penken wrote:
Good sir, I have started playing EVE during a summer. And it wasn't like this. Summer has nothing to do with it Straight

Summer has everything to do with it. This happens every year. You didn't notice when you started because you'd only just started. People who have just started have no idea.

Yes, EVE is old. In our throw-away society, that usually carries connotations of 'obsolete'. But there's a reason for its age - it's success. And the reason it's successful is because it's still the only game that offers what it does, a single-shard meta-gaming multiplayer experience like no other.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Na Und
Galactronics
#8 - 2014-06-29 00:36:48 UTC
Varnir Penken wrote:
Used to I'd always see around 40k on or more everyday, with probably around 60k players on the weekends. Then it dropped to around 35k on the weekdays. and about 50k on the weekends...now it just seems like it's 30k everyday no matter what time of day it is. What's goin on?

Ahem. Thought about taking a shower, recently?
Varnir Penken
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-06-29 00:47:50 UTC
Na Und wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:

Ahem. Thought about taking a shower, recently?

Showers are overrated...:p. It's time to fill up this stand up shower with water and take a bath!
Varnir Penken
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-06-29 00:50:04 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Varnir Penken wrote:

Summer has everything to do with it. This happens every year. You didn't notice when you started because you'd only just started. People who have just started have no idea.

Yes, EVE is old. In our throw-away society, that usually carries connotations of 'obsolete'. But there's a reason for its age - it's success. And the reason it's successful is because it's still the only game that offers what it does, a single-shard meta-gaming multiplayer experience like no other.

I guess that makes sense.
Komi Toran
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-06-29 01:22:46 UTC
I think the OP may have a point. My version spends an hour cutting coupons before going to Jita, flies 1 AU/s under the speed limit, and goes to Bingo every Friday. Lately I even catch it muttering about Brave Newbies on its lawn.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#12 - 2014-06-29 01:39:34 UTC
A few more years and EVE will be legally allowed to drink. I shudder at the thought.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2014-06-29 01:40:36 UTC
The login numbers are not the highest, but certainly not in a notable decline.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#14 - 2014-06-29 01:42:23 UTC
In no particular order and with a heavy emphasis on "Your Mileage May Vary" :

Blue Donuts... bad
No reason to patrol / defend Sov space, due to "projected force" effects, much less validate that whole "risk versus reward" argument... bad
Grinding Sov still sucks... bad
General malaise and uneasy feeling about so many core and senior devs leaving and/or being shitcanned... bad
Price of PLEX still going up ... bad
Waiting for the "big industry release" that has already been delayed once... bad.
EVE is not a game well suited to the "instant gratification" crowd.... bad.

P

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Bloody Slave
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-06-29 02:58:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloody Slave
I really don't know if I must turn the sarcasm on/off warning but I will let you decide for yourself:

EVE is dying.

Tease wrote:
Posted - 2003.11.30 04:41:00 - [37]

Edited by: Tease on 30/11/2003 04:46:13

who cares?

there's been GM and Polaris corruption in this game for a long time, particularily when it comes to 2 particular Corps, one of which is the focus of this thread..

This isn't the first time people have witnessed a GM interceding on this Corp's behalf nor the first time Polaris has tried to cover it up ingame and in the forums.. It won't be the last time..

Everyone and their dog knows there's a number of Polaris members and GMs with player alts who seem to benefit from 'coincidence' and 'luck' all the time..

There's not even any point in posting 'proof' about any of it because the mods here will just delete it, they did so 2 weeks ago on Crime&Punishment, they did 2 months ago here, they always have and always will..

CCP won't talk to us anymore, true newbies quit within 24hours due to exploiters and exploiters are never punished..

This game is dying, so who really cares anymore? half of us are just preparing our characters for Ebaying anyway..

Yeah... since 2003, and all here are necrophiles...

(sarcasm off)

If your balls are hurt and bleeding don't sit in a pool full of piranhas (note to myself: don't complain in GD)

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2014-06-29 03:20:40 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
A few more years and EVE will be legally allowed to drink. I shudder at the thought.

Maybe CCP will finally bump it up to M rating so we can have some actual freedom in "design choices", like drugs, hoes, bitches money, kribs.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#17 - 2014-06-29 07:30:50 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:

Maybe CCP will finally bump it down to idiotic rating so we can go completely beige and suburban with things like drugs, hoes, bitches money, kribs.

FYP

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Johnny M'gambo
#18 - 2014-06-29 07:41:11 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:

Maybe CCP will finally bump it down to idiotic rating so we can go completely beige and suburban with things like drugs, hoes, bitches money, kribs.

FYP

3edgy my fellow noble savage
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#19 - 2014-06-29 07:42:28 UTC
It's summer in the northern hemisphere, that's what happened, go out and feel the sun. Cool
000Hunter000
Missiles 'R' Us
#20 - 2014-06-29 08:40:49 UTC
And what about the Worldcup footy? I'm betting that has a lil effect as wel atm.

*old fart alert ON*

I remember the times where u could live in certain hi/low-sec systems and not encounter anyone else for days on end.

Ah... the lovely canmining in a Megathron...

Prolly not good for the game, but i wouldn't mind a smaller crowd... it Always felt like eve was actually huge.

And warp to zero also made eve feel smaller...I liked the part where u had to scout a new system, make bookmarks to and from the gates/belts/stations.

*old fart alert OFF*

But this is eve... u learn to adapt or u quit. Big smile
123Next page