These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ann Coulter's Unbelievable RANT Against Soccer

Author
Lido Seahawk
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2014-06-27 15:16:31 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

But technically we all emigrated out of the Fertile Crescent, or Olduvai Gorge, whichever is considered de rigeur in this century.

yeah, that was my point..... Big smile

May I have your stuff?

Lido Seahawk
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2014-06-27 15:23:46 UTC
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#43 - 2014-06-27 19:25:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Except for American Indians, every single person here is an immigrant.
Hmm? speak for yourself? I'm a native, I was born here. Thing of it is, you would need to pretty much ignore world history to just point out people living in the US. So like, the English are just immigrants living in England, too?

But I know were you get that from, how it's usually used here (or misused), who uses it for what purpose, and I just don't agree with it as it's not logical to world history. I didn't immigrate from anywhere, I'm an American.
You shouldn't even call them "Indians", they're not from India last I checked. It's like the whole "red skins" controversy here now (American football), while people act all outraged over a name to have it removed while they call them "Indians"... lol.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Marsha Mallow
#44 - 2014-06-27 19:48:45 UTC
Webvan wrote:
So like, the English are just immigrants living in England, too?

Depending how far back you want to look, yup.

That article is just a polemic, but I think she *might* have a valid point if you look past the tone. The US has it's own domestic sports, and if you want to preserve (and to a degree protect) that heritage, it's worth treating football (soccer) carefully. It's not just about the game itself, there's a multi-billion corporate machine behind it. FIFA etc aren't exactly known for their code of conduct or ethical practice. They will try to steamroll domestic sports to make money.

Perhaps the various sports corporations should be allowed to scrap over it in the most public and hilarious way possible, for the entertainment value. It'd probably be simpler to openly say "We're just fighting over your money here" but where's the soundbite in that?

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#45 - 2014-06-27 20:09:51 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
Webvan wrote:
So like, the English are just immigrants living in England, too?

Depending how far back you want to look, yup.
Really, they constantly call the English just immigrants? No, they don't. It's just used as a political motive here. It's like saying the English don't even really exist. It's purely political nonsense.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Marsha Mallow
#46 - 2014-06-27 20:36:17 UTC
Webvan wrote:
Really, they constantly call the English just immigrants? No, they don't. It's just used as a political motive here. It's like saying the English don't even really exist. It's purely political nonsense.

When ethnic debates pop up here those who claim to be 'English' tend to cite their heritage dates back to 1066 which is a bit er, odd. I'm English by birth but not by ethnicity, so teasing people who get really riled up over it is something of a hobby. Ahem. But if someone wants to start a row over it, I'll point out that the Welsh are actually the indigenous population here, then scurry away to watch the head explosion from a safe distance ;)

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#47 - 2014-06-27 21:22:38 UTC
her crazy ass doesn't have to worry. if america gets knocked out of the tournament, 95% of american viewers won't be watching anymore. Lol
Snagletooth Johnson
Snagle Material Services
CAStabouts
#48 - 2014-06-28 09:56:35 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
her crazy ass doesn't have to worry. if america gets knocked out of the tournament, 95% of american viewers won't be watching anymore. Lol

94% will still be watching as it's all illegal immigrants and European expats....the 1% of natural born Americans turned the channel in the first 10 mins when they realized they watching soccer, not international football.
Emiko P'eng
#49 - 2014-06-28 11:00:58 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

For clarity, please refer to it as soccer. Football to every American reading this means our violent sport.

I wasn't sure for a bit which one you meant. Thanks.
Hehe!

Ah! American Football!

That's Rugby for wimps as they have to wear protection and stop playing every few minutes for a long rest Big smile

As for the original poster.

'English Style Football' died back in the 1970's when making money became the only reason to play. So the American term 'Soccer' is rather appropriate as all that is left is a corrupt international big business. Bent on making money anyway it can! Cry

Most likely why US 'American Football' owners now own Britsh teams!
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#50 - 2014-06-28 13:27:59 UTC
Webvan wrote:

But I know were you get that from, how it's usually used here (or misused), who uses it for what purpose, and I just don't agree with it as it's not logical to world history. I didn't immigrate from anywhere, I'm an American.

Your heritage is indeed as immigrant.

You can not wash that blood away.

Get over yourself.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#51 - 2014-06-28 13:29:26 UTC
Webvan wrote:
. It's like the whole "red skins" controversy here now (American football), while people act all outraged over a name to have it removed while they call them "Indians"... lol.

So, a basketball team named the Blackskins would be fine in your book ? Ick.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Adunh Slavy
#52 - 2014-06-28 19:14:05 UTC
Webvan wrote:
lumps of groups your trying to hate on or whatever, just a book salesman.

Make quite a few assumptions, don't ya?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#53 - 2014-06-28 19:18:52 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:

I've always thought that American, of all people, would appreciate the egalitarian spirit of football: it requires no special equipment (bats, gloves, helmets...) and no special playfield. It only takes, literally, one football.

This is why a guy can be born in a slump in a third world country and become a world famous idol just by being one of the best.

For clarity, please refer to it as soccer. Football to every American reading this means our violent sport.

I wasn't sure for a bit which one you meant. Thanks.

ed: Football is a great name for the European version for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure why the American sport is called football though. The ball is only occasionally kicked, and is pretty much tossed around....using the hands.

But handball is already taken, so what's to do ??

HandeggTwisted
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#54 - 2014-06-28 19:27:14 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Lido Seahawk wrote:

"Native" Americans are immigrants too, they crossed over here from Asia. And they were doing a pretty good job of killing and enslaving each other before the next wave of immigrants showed up. Same ole stuff, was just a different day.

Kinda splitting hairs here.

But technically we all emigrated out of the Fertile Crescent, or Olduvai Gorge, whichever is considered de rigeur in this century.

Rift valley, the fertile crescent is where we invented farming.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2014-06-28 20:03:31 UTC
Ann Coulter's fame and prosperity is built on being as inflammatory and controversial as possible. I doubt she believes any of what she says.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Marsha Mallow
#56 - 2014-06-28 20:23:00 UTC
Here's a lefty response

Quote:
Determined to preserve American exceptionalism against a rising tide of baguette-munching ball-juggling pinko Europhile hippy surrender-communism, Ann Coulter has come to the rescue: "Any growing interest in soccer," she wrote to widespread amusement, "can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay."

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#57 - 2014-06-28 21:16:32 UTC
Lol, that part with the moral decay. xD

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#58 - 2014-06-28 21:47:06 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Ann Coulter's fame and prosperity is built on being as inflammatory and controversial as possible. I doubt she believes any of what she says.
Since I heard her name for the first time (today) I just thought she was some sort of comedian, then I continued to read and changed my Mind and thought she was one of those batshit insane bloggers, I had to read her up on wikipedia to find out that she is a politian... is she really a thing in the USA? Do people actually listen to that nonsense? Shocked

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2014-06-28 22:24:17 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Since I heard her name for the first time (today) I just thought she was some sort of comedian, then I continued to read and changed my Mind and thought she was one of those batshit insane bloggers, I had to read her up on wikipedia to find out that she is a politian... is she really a thing in the USA? Do people actually listen to that nonsense? Shocked

Probably Coulter is no worst than some of our european nutjobs. Just they speak non-English languages, live in smaller countries and there's not much money in letting them spread their nonsense on the media.

1% of 300 million people is a sizable market. 1% of 80 million people, not so much...

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#60 - 2014-06-29 04:42:14 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Probably Coulter is no worst than some of our european nutjobs. Just they speak non-English languages, live in smaller countries and there's not much money in letting them spread their nonsense on the media.

1% of 300 million people is a sizable market. 1% of 80 million people, not so much...

Generally we don't vote in these nutjobs, we have had some bad experiences in the past.