These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

MTU - Mobile Tractor Unit

Author
Creeping Kaos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-06-26 21:37:11 UTC
I use these wonderful little mobile units when ratting and as such could CCP please Make an option for Deploying for 'CORP' or 'Fleet' use like mobile warp bubbles?

Most times ratting is done in a fleet structure and if CCp made an option for different types of deployment ie: fleet or corp use this would greatly improve salvage operations especially in DED multi room sites etc etc.

thoughts?

> To walk fully in the light, one must first be intimate with the dark.

Creeping Kaos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2014-06-26 21:39:26 UTC
I think deploy for fleet would be better since most times we have alliance members in fleet so corp use would be redundent but still needed in some instances

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2014-06-27 08:40:55 UTC
What difference does it make, who it tractors to? It just tractors wrecks to it's location...
Matt Ellis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-06-27 13:43:50 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:
What difference does it make, who it tractors to? It just tractors wrecks to it's location...

I think what the OP is referring to is that only th pilot who launches the MTU can access its contents or scoop it. When you're in a decent sized fleet, it would be nice to be able to let anyone from corp or fleet be able to interact.( and obviously leave a log in the loot logs)
Iain Cariaba
#5 - 2014-06-27 16:47:58 UTC
Once ratting toon gets aggro, have salvage toon warp in, drop MTU, warp out. Problem solved with currently existing mechanics. Several t1 frigs have holds large enough to carry 3-4 of these at once and can easily be fit to quickly warp out before npcs can shift aggro.
Hakan MacTrew
Konrakas Forged
Solyaris Chtonium
#6 - 2014-06-29 06:03:43 UTC
Matt Ellis wrote:
Celthric Kanerian wrote:

I think what the OP is referring to is that only th pilot who launches the MTU can access its contents or scoop it. When you're in a decent sized fleet, it would be nice to be able to let anyone from corp or fleet be able to interact.( and obviously leave a log in the loot logs)

Indeed.

Not everyone rats alone. I realise that profitability is altered, but I find ratting in groups more enjoyable, much like mining. (Being sociable in an MMO, blasphemy!)

I am all for a "Launch fo Corp/FLeet" option.

Perhaps even make the current MTU's open to anyone to open, while T2 version could be password protected, or locked for corp/fleet with a smaller capacity that also works slower. Risk vs Reward and all that.
Creeping Kaos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-07-23 14:24:22 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:

Yes you are missing the point.

It makes a difference when you are in a fleet doing multi room plexes and your fleet is popping rooms quicker than your hoover toon can clean house. Its all about the isk/hr ratio gents and if your waiting for your multi boxer or fleet mate to clean up before you head to another plex or mission, the fleet isnt making its potential.

Its really such a simple thing, an obvious game mechanic that CCP overlooked for some odd reason. When deploying there should be an option for 'Launch for self/corp/fleet' its the same reason they should have most all deployable structures tweaked this way.

Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#8 - 2014-07-23 15:18:25 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:

You really are missing the point. I think it's safe an agreeable to let MTUs be set to corp/fleet use. +1
Iain Cariaba
#9 - 2014-07-23 16:02:05 UTC
Creeping Kaos wrote:

It makes a difference when you are in a fleet doing multi room plexes and your fleet is popping rooms quicker than your hoover toon can clean house. Its all about the isk/hr ratio gents and if your waiting for your multi boxer or fleet mate to clean up before you head to another plex or mission, the fleet isnt making its potential.

You are also missing his point.

If you're having to wait for the salvaged, wether he's multibox or a seperate player, you're doing it wrong. If all you care about is the isk/hr, you're not optimized if you're letting a multi-boxer salvage. My earlier post can easily be modified to allow a designated salvager to multibox a salvager/mtu dropper team for optimal salvaging.

Another 'code me something cause I'm too lazy to figure it out' thread
Bohneik Itohn
#10 - 2014-07-23 19:15:26 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Creeping Kaos wrote:

You are also missing his point.

If you're having to wait for the salvaged, wether he's multibox or a seperate player, you're doing it wrong. If all you care about is the isk/hr, you're not optimized if you're letting a multi-boxer salvage. My earlier post can easily be modified to allow a designated salvager to multibox a salvager/mtu dropper team for optimal salvaging.

Another 'code me something cause I'm too lazy to figure it out' thread

Nope.

It's common practice in WH's for the ratting groups to have a dedicated salvager following behind them in a Noctis to clean up the sites. When the fleet lands in the anomaly someone drops an MTU and bookmarks it, and the site is marked as clean when everything is destroyed in Siggy if you have an especially large amount of anomalies that day, otherwise just going in order from the top to the bottom of the probe scanning window suffices, since you won't likely have any changes in fleet and thus changes in order of procession. After the ratting team is ahead by a few anomalies the salvager leaves the POS and starts cleaning up the wrecks, but they can't pick up the MTU's or clean them out. This means that after all of the sites have been run, and everything has been salvaged, 4 or 5 people have to go back to their bookmarks to fetch the MTU's they personally deployed.

It's annoying that the Noctis pilot couldn't scoop those MTU's up and return them to the POS as he was salvaging in the first place. Even when he gives the ratters a head start he often ends up waiting for them to finish the last couple anomalies, and the poor guy gets so damn bored just running salvagers on the pile of junk that was swept together that they start trying to make small talk in between the FC overseeing the ratting over voice coms. After several months this can lead to debilitating social issues where the pilot pauses every few words expectantly during normal conversation, apologizes needlessly every time their speech overlaps with someone else's, and long periods of up to several hours of silence following polite requests such as "Excuse me, kind of busy" or "Give me just a moment Dave".

Since being a salvager is not a dedicated role and everyone ends up filling this spot regularly, this eventually leads to players needing rehabilitation before being acceptable in polite society and turning to their D-scan button as a means of finding companionship and personal interaction.

It's not their fault, and it's something we can help. Just give the salvagers a little bit more to do during their periods of boredom.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Satella Highwind
Independant Miners Corporation
#11 - 2014-07-23 19:24:55 UTC
At the risk of sounding... well... simple. This problem with others in the fleet looting can be solved by adding a simple on off switch to the thing and allowing you to eject the cargo for a hauler to pick up. there are times when the hauler, for what ever reason, forgets the MTU.

Once off, you can eject cargo without fear of it being sucked up again and let the hauler grab it, then turn it back on, rinse and repeat. This is provided you keep up with your ratting fleet or in the case of what happened to me during a mining op.

I have no statement on others being able to actually pick up my MTU, I haven't played with it enough to form an opinion.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#12 - 2014-07-23 20:30:10 UTC
The one I want is a fleet/Corp option for the mobile depo.
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#13 - 2014-07-23 20:46:35 UTC
I always just pick up the mtu and leave the container behind (first ship that warps in drops it before anything else happens) for whoever needs to pick it up and bookmarks can be made wherever, you don't need the MTU to stay in place.

But that of course is no counter argument for a fleet access option. Scooping it up should remain for the owner, unless it becomes abandon-able. Why not suggest that ?
Satella Highwind
Independant Miners Corporation
#14 - 2014-07-25 16:52:30 UTC
Fer'isam K'ahn wrote:
I always just pick up the mtu and leave the container behind (first ship that warps in drops it before anything else happens) for whoever needs to pick it up and bookmarks can be made wherever, you don't need the MTU to stay in place.

I've not had any luck with that. Every time I try that and there's more things than my hold can hold m3 wise I get a urfuqt message. that's why I thought about being able to turn the thing off and eject what it holds. maybe that's just a problem on my end?
Fer'isam K'ahn
SAS Veterinarians
#15 - 2014-07-25 17:02:35 UTC
Satella Highwind wrote:
I've not had any luck with that. Every time I try that and there's more things than my hold can hold m3 wise I get a urfuqt message. that's why I thought about being able to turn the thing off and eject what it holds. maybe that's just a problem on my end?

Well, I guess you loot first. I don't, I warp in, drop MTU and only scoop that up in the end - no loot. If you were able to bring an MTU you should be able to take it. Usually ammo gets less, not more. (tell me in a private mail if you fnd that exploit Twisted).

I don't see the need for a corp/fleet option and would not support it. But I would support an 'abandon' option which serves the same function and offers more gameplay via 3rd party intrusion.

Iain Cariaba
#16 - 2014-07-25 17:49:22 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
long post not worth rereading

Been there, done that, you're doing it wrong. I used a frigate fit for align time to warp in on site being run, drop MTU, then run screaming back to pos before sleepers shifted aggro to me. Once next site was started, repeat procedure and then go get noctis and salvage first site. Come on, what else are you doing while waiting for corpmates to finish site so you can salvage?
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#17 - 2014-07-25 17:54:58 UTC
I believe the reason only the person who deployed the MTU/Mobile Depot/Portable Nacho Dispenser can use the structure is because they are "Personal Deployables", at least as far as CCP refers to them.

Note "personal" and what that word means.

If you want Fleet/Corp/Alliance/Coalition Deployables, that's going to be a separate issue that will probably be addressed closer to POS 2.0 (whenever that is).