These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Windows disappearing randomly

First post First post
Author
Raptor217
Nomadic Spacial Bunnies Support Division
#141 - 2011-12-05 08:59:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Raptor217
I made an album with 8 images of the glitch.

They start in sisi with the release client and transition to TQ after crucible launched in latter photos. All images had a two chat windows, the station services/over view/capacitor console, etc... before it glitched. They are on two different characters and accounts, Raptor217 and Kitari Six. This is occurring whether im dual boxing or running one client. It happens whether my settings are maxed or at a minimum. It is not a heat issue as it normally starts after I have alt tabbed back in. Setting EVE to windowed mode does not fix the bug.

My computer, a macbook pro running windows xp on bootcamp, has up to date drivers, OS, and directx. Drivers were installed after removing the previous drivers completely and running a registry cleaner.
I have three bug reports in on the issue: #120154 and #119656 on my main, and #120851 on my alt.

Judging by the amount of responses in the given time frame, and myself posting seriously and not trolling, this is a serious issue that needs immediate attention from ccp. Also I'm a week away from needing to buy a plex and haven't been able to rat for more than 10 minutes straight before everything on my screen dissapears and I have to kill the client through windows task manager since crucible came out.

TL;DR: I need to make enough isk to buy a plex in a weeks time and haven't been able to since crucible came out due to this glitch.
CCP Paradox
#142 - 2011-12-05 13:00:48 UTC
I have continued to look into this, but cannot reproduce since our fix went into Duality and now Singularity. The fix will be rolling out tomorrow. If you experience the same issues as before, please update this thread after the patch.

CCP Paradox | EVE QA | Team Phenomenon

Space Magician

Demolishar
United Aggression
#143 - 2011-12-05 13:21:29 UTC
The issues remain for me on singularity and duality...
Tiny Scream
into the 'ole
#144 - 2011-12-05 13:28:46 UTC
ive not had a problem for a few days running fixed window mode on tq

its only in fullscreen
Tauren Tom
Order of the Silver Dragons
Silver Dragonz
#145 - 2011-12-05 14:02:10 UTC
As of last night the issue began to rear it's ugly head on SiSi...

Half of my UI (namely anything other than the collapsable bar on the side disappeared while running logistics for fleet. Needless to say this was not an ideal time to lose the ability to target fleet mates.
In the grand scheme of things... You're all pubbies. So HTFU.   "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood Blues
Nyio
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#146 - 2011-12-05 14:08:33 UTC
Tiny Scream wrote:
ive not had a problem for a few days running fixed window mode on tq

its only in fullscreen

I also have to run it in widowed mode. But the UI flickers inbetween, and when working with market/contracts the windows still manages to vanish sometimes.
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#147 - 2011-12-05 15:31:30 UTC
This has been nearly a week now and given I run 4 clients it has cost me nearly 28 days paid playtime.

I'm not the only one with the problem and all who have seem to run at least 2 clients, So to my mind a lot of people are owed a refund from CCP for purchasing goods or services not of a usable standard otherwise CCP are making an awful lot of money out of us for nothing.

Of course I have no real delusions anyone will ever see any refund as the most likely CCP will hide behind there EULA and claim normal trading standards laws don't apply.

When will games company managers learn that as far as it's customers are concerned producing a update without major gameplay issues is more important then there corporate pride in keeping to some release date they pulled out of the blue. It does the company image and customer trust more harm then good in the long run.

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Delen Ormand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#148 - 2011-12-05 15:46:44 UTC
Hi all

Found this thread while I was searching for fixes to my UI problems. I'm having the same issue as other people who've posted - disappearing/corrupted UI.

I'm on XPx64, playing fullscreen on a single account. I've tried closing other running programs (I thought it was a resource issue at first), but that didn't make a difference. This all started, for me, after the last patch for Crucible (3) and has happened approximately 3 times now (all in the last week, if I remember right).

I had my UI bug out a few minutes ago. While searching for fixes, I came across a post suggesting to move windows, particularly Station Services) away from the side of the screen. I managed this, and the UI sorted itself out immediately. This is the first time I've tried it, so I don't know yet if it's a consistent fix, but if I get any more problems, I'll post back.
Jacques Arakasi
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#149 - 2011-12-05 16:50:59 UTC
tried fixed window mode issue still there
however how up2date are all the xp users here, my last xp patch was 29/9/11 the 1 after this reported an error with microsoft saying do a reinstall "right"
Tyrone Cashmoney
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#150 - 2011-12-05 18:01:20 UTC
I wonder if the windows randomly disappearing has anything to do with UI scaling. I set mine at 90% from the default 100%, and I didn't experience the problem before I did that. However I change the UI's scale within only a few hours of updating the client to Crucible, so maybe it's just a coincidence.

Surprise surprise, I have WinXP SP3. And looking at Raptor217's screenshots, what I've seen matches. It doesn't always behave the same way, and it's really hard to predict when it will happen. I tend to play in Windowed mode rather than Fullscreen and it still happens often enough to be annoying. Sometimes I'll lose the UI when I dock. Other times, the UI disappears when I'm flying in space, and use the right-click menu to warp to a celestial.

I've had cases where switching from window to fullscreen or vice versa will fix it. Quite often it'll come back when I use the tab-tab shortcut to minimize all windows. Other times, rarely, it'll come back on its own after a few seconds.

Nemesis44
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#151 - 2011-12-05 18:37:11 UTC
Possible Workaround: Changed optimized graphics settings from performance to quality.

This worked for me, though sometimes it is difficult to even see the boxes to select. For those that can't see anything, hit escape, activate the first tab, and click just under all the drop down options on the far right box. The quality setting is the bottom option on Optimize settings drop down menu.

Here is my BR: 121734
Sassums
Dark Venture Corporation
Kitchen Sinkhole
#152 - 2011-12-05 20:09:25 UTC
Bobby Newmark wrote:
The screenshot who u realy want to see is this one :D

http://imgur.com/SPl33

See I have had it do this and have had it where the whole UI just disappears.

I can't figure out why it glitches one way or the other.

Why is the typing SO SLOW on these forums?
K1RTH G3RS3N
Doomheim
#153 - 2011-12-06 10:54:35 UTC  |  Edited by: K1RTH G3RS3N
any dev update on this would be good, or guess well see after patch perhaps. would be tops to be able to play eve again.
GM Karidor
Game Masters
C C P Alliance
#154 - 2011-12-06 11:13:10 UTC
Just out of curiosity (and my apologies if I missed it before):

Does that only happen in full screen mode, or is using the "Fixed Window Mode" on Desktop Resolution a potential workaround (as that would basically feel like full screen, but still is a window)?

Also, I had a report of a player that seemingly has been able to fix this behavior on his machine by completely nuking the client and all related cache and settings folders (see http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE_default_directories) before reinstalling it using the latest full client installer (http://www.eveonline.com/download/). A bit of a sledge hammer method, especially as at this point I can't guarantee this to be working reliably, but possibly worth a try if you have the time and bandwidth to spare.

GM Karidor | Senior Game Master

Nyio
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#155 - 2011-12-06 11:18:23 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:

Does that only happen in full screen mode, or is using the "Fixed Window Mode" on Desktop Resolution a potential workaround (as that would basically feel like full screen, but still is a window)?

Also, I had a report of a player that seemingly has been able to fix this behavior on his machine by completely nuking the client and all related cache and settings folders (see http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE_default_directories) before reinstalling it using the latest full client installer (http://www.eveonline.com/download/). A bit of a sledge hammer method, especially as at this point I can't guarantee this to be working reliably, but possibly worth a try if you have the time and bandwidth to spare.

Having read all threads fully about this (since I have the same issue) I can say that the Fixed Window Mode seems to work as a temporary workaround for some, not for everyone.

Completely deleting all settings and cache folders does not help for me, don't know about others. I haven't gone to the extreme and reinstalled the whole client (yet).
Shpenat
Ironman Inc.
Transgress
#156 - 2011-12-06 12:27:56 UTC
For me the situation is following:

TQ client: in full screen mode the bug appears very often. Using fixed window mode now and have not experienced the bug.

Duality test on Friday: The bud was present same way as on TQ client.

Singularity on Monday: I did tested it a bit and did not experience the bug. However I was playing around only for about minutes, so the timeframe might be too short.

I will report my findings from Tranquility after todays patch here.
Dek'athor
Doomheim
#157 - 2011-12-06 12:56:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Dek'athor
Win7 32bit
Legacy Ati card/driver, 3 years old (I think)
Playing in windowed mode (no special reason for windowed mode, just like it more)

No issues.
Vyktor Abyss
Abyss Research
#158 - 2011-12-06 13:23:03 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:
I have continued to look into this, but cannot reproduce since our fix went into Duality and now Singularity. The fix will be rolling out tomorrow. If you experience the same issues as before, please update this thread after the patch.

Hi,

Thanks for the update, but just to confirm that as of today's patch 1.0.1 and client update, I am still observing this issue.

I can 100% certainly say that is occuring due to session changes while being alt-tabbed.

Reproduction steps:

1. XP machine running youtube/google chrome and eve.
2. Hit autopilot/dock while out in space then alt-tabe to youtube
3. After a couple minutes alt-tab back to Eve and try clicking on items in a merged hangar, or chat window - STUFF DISAPPEARS.

Please keep working on a fix. Thank you. Sad
Bobby Newmark
Burgas Space School
#159 - 2011-12-06 13:55:20 UTC
STILL HAVE PROBLEM HERE - CAN U TELL ME WHEN ILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME ACTUALY CUZ I CANT PLAY FROM 6 DAYS SOO FAR ?
Jacques Arakasi
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#160 - 2011-12-06 14:07:42 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:

The bug is present in all windows modes, correct me if im wrong but it seems to be only XP that has this issue, I got about ½hour play dual boxing after todays patch before it appeared