These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Which frigate completely wins out against a Slicer?

Author
Wu Jiaqiu
#1 - 2014-06-23 07:34:01 UTC
What are your ways to kill them? Or any other laser kiting frigate? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative than taking my Taranis and Dramiel.

So far I've tested a MWD Arty Firetail. Nope. TD LML Kestrel. Nope

Your thoughts?
Dato Koppla
Balls Deep Inc.
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#2 - 2014-06-23 08:12:34 UTC
Basically, anything fast enough to catch the slicer, tanky enough to survive the initial dps, and the ability to pull a close orbit on it (MWD + Scram + Web or Dual Prop + Scram). You can do it in most MWD/Scram/Web brawling T1 frigates if you get a good slingshot, obviously faster frigates fare better (Firetail is a good choice, use ACs and orbit at 500 and the Slicer can't track you). TD LML Kestrel can work too but if the enemy Slicer is a good pilot he'll realize he's being TD very quickly and come in closer, but bad Slicers (there are lots) will usually realize too late. I usually don't try to fly other kiters/long range ships against Slicers because Slicers have really good projection and dps at range so you'll usually lose those battles, it comes down to catching the slicer and abusing the bad tracking of pulse lasers by pulling a tight orbit (since they will be MWD + Long point the Slicer will have no range control once scrammed). My usual go-to Slicer killing fit is a MWD/Scram/Web/MSE Firetail with Nano/DCU/Gyrostab in the lows with 200mm ACs, you can usually OH your MWD and just run the Slicer down immediately after engaging and if you miss that oppurtunity, you have enough tank to go for at least 2 slingshots, once the Slicer is caught it's dead.
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-06-23 08:15:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Ovv Topik
In the context of FW plex fighting, the golden rule is: Dont warp in on them, let them come to you.

Just sit within 1km off the warp in beacon with your AB ticking over and as soon as they land on grid, hit overheat on your mid rack.

This extends your web to 13km and your scram to over 11km. click approach, and anything which doesn't have a 400mm plate will catch them every time.

Once you've caught them, you can switch off the heat and orbit 500.

Very easy kill once you've done it a few times.

Focus on your Nav skills if you haven't already, and a 'Zor's' 5% speed implant is a good cheap alternative to snakes for a bit of extra speed.

Or there are the new 'Low Grade snakes'. I don't know much about their price/performance yet, but I'd be reluctant to give up my Geni's/Zor's for less than 10% speed boost.

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#4 - 2014-06-23 09:10:55 UTC
A claw would do great. Great speed and awesome tank against em/therm damage.

❤️️💛💚💙💜

Charlie Firpol
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-06-23 14:05:52 UTC
Anything Dualprop with a Scram. I use a Dualprop Atron often.

Electron Blasters, Dualprop + Scram, Dam Control, EANM and small Ancillary Armor Rep

The Butcher of Black Rise - eve-radio.com

Zen Guerrilla
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#6 - 2014-06-23 14:34:13 UTC
Slashers and firetails work. Using a TD will help a lot when they switch to close range ammo. Use a tracking speed script and orbit them close once you got web+scram and you should easily tank them with an SAAR/DCU tank.

pew pew

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#7 - 2014-06-23 14:55:44 UTC
In my experience, the helios is a hard counter to the slicer:
the Helios
the Helios

ok... that's usually because the slicer has no idea what is going on.
Outside of this, any frigate that can actually catch the slicer can usually destroy the slicer. Be mindful of links, as they make the slicer very hard to catch.
Liam Inkuras
Furnace
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#8 - 2014-06-23 15:55:18 UTC
Back in my RvB days I had incredible success killing slicers with a no-tank dual prop Atron, akin to the classic Taranis fit. It was always a close fight, but I won the majority of the engagements.

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#9 - 2014-06-23 15:56:32 UTC
because of tracking disruptor.
Shelom Severasse
Legion Ascending
Fraternity.
#10 - 2014-06-23 16:50:22 UTC
web scram orbit @ 500
win
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-06-23 17:08:55 UTC
Slicer is pretty much the only navy frigate that I never bat an eye at when I'm in a T1 frig. Unless they're linked, just about any combat-oriented T1 frigate with a scram and an MWD should be able to feed them their teeth.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

JAF Anders
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#12 - 2014-06-23 17:33:48 UTC
It's the same as how we engage any opponent -- enhance damage applied, mitigate damage taken.

A diagnostic of any engagement should begin with the assessment of range. The pilot who can most effectively dictate the range at which the engagement occurs is much more likely to win. In the case of the Slicer versus a random challenger, the margin for error is slim. Unlinked Slicer pilots should be expected to push their velocity past 4,000 m/s. By and large, if you can't considerably exceed this velocity through overheating, you should immediately make the decision to evade. The hard velocity requirements put a vast amount of options off the table for you, pilot. The choices that remain lend themselves to three groups, what I refer to as "kite", "counter-kite", and "super-kite".

Kite ships apply damage at the edge of point range, typically between 18,000-22,000 m. Kiting uses a healthy amount of range to keep most weapons platforms at bay while applying damage of its own. The kiter typically sacrifices defensive buffer for reduction in signature and increase in velocity. The concept also requires giving up most forms of local repair for capacitor sustainability. The result is a ship that can choose its own targets and escape many unfavorable escalations at-will, making it a good choice for the avid asymmetric combat enthusiast.

Counter-kite ships apply damage within scram range, typically between 0-2,000 m. The counter-kite concept relies on closing the gap quickly and winning the DPS race with the kiting ship. Counter-kiters operate similarly to their brawling ancestors but shed defensive buffer for more raw speed and utility. In its reduced form, it's a brawler that's exchanged one sort of tank for another. Rightly so, the worst fear of a Slicer pilot is getting scrammed. Bait in a ship typically purposed to lose, then win.

Super-kite ships apply damage beyond point range, anywhere from 24,000 m to the hard limit on lock range, 250,000 m. Typically, frigates will need specialized equipment to pull this off, such as Signal Amplifiers or scripted Sensor Boosters. There is no need for any tank beyond that which extreme range provides, nor any form of range control besides your own maneuverability. The super-kite pilot relies on wishful thinking or wingman for tackle; in other cases, the Warp To 0m button effectiely ends the engagement. Should harassment or nible backup be your aim, look no farther.

Without going into much detail, you should be able to see that much of the information in this topic is accurate and helpful, as I hope my post also has been.

Very respectfully,
-JAF

(If you end up going the more expensive route, the Daredevil is a good choice. It's got plenty of raw buffer to survive the initial volleys and a heated, linked Navy web is more than enough to burn up to a Slicer, web him in his own optimals and turbodunk him with the facemelting power of blasters.)

The pursuit of excellence and stabbed plexing alts.

Luscar Seneca
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-06-24 03:46:03 UTC
JAFs answer was awesome. Plus one. But Ive got 3 words for you. Hookbill.
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2014-06-24 04:16:22 UTC
Wolf. The destoyer of all frigs. Except Crows, Garmurs, linked Drams, and linked Dares. And Thrashers. Don't touch any Thrashers.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

l0rd carlos
the king asked me to guard the mountain
#15 - 2014-06-24 10:43:05 UTC
Rail Police!

Youtube Channel about Micro and Small scale PvP with commentary: Fleet Commentary by l0rd carlos

Meditril
Hoplite Brigade
Ushra'Khan
#16 - 2014-06-24 15:15:53 UTC
Sentinel works very nicely against Slicers, Daredevils and all the other cap-hungry stuff.
Grease PaYN
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2014-06-24 15:56:31 UTC
I've had a lot of success killing slicers in a crucifier, both when entering their plex or defending my own.
Nick Starkey
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2014-06-24 21:02:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Nick Starkey
Not counting hypothetical situations... like expecting a slicer to jump into someone's face:

Dramiels. Fast enough by nature to outrun Slicers even if they have links, and murders them in an instant after being scramed.

If you want something cheaper, firetails also work, especially with a TD. TD ships (crows, condors, tc) are in generalpretty disruptive to slicers since it scraps their main advantage away.

I've made a signature. I hope you're enjoying it. www.evetrademaster.com - web based asset manager & profit tracker

Daniel Toner
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2014-06-27 00:44:36 UTC
Or you can make a ship that has a range of more them 20km and make a 2km/s or faster ship that he just can't hit . Cost 5mill
Daniel Toner
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-06-27 00:52:42 UTC
And to add to that at the minimum cost. Or you can make a 250mill boss frig of webing death that people don't even know what it can do p.s fit is top secret so give me 60mill isk and I will give you a link ok 😊. But why would any one do that 😃❕
12Next page