These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ganking miners - What do you get from it?

First post
Author
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#181 - 2014-06-22 12:06:00 UTC
Barbara Nichole wrote:
the only place suicide ganking exists besides EVE is real life.

Entirely untrue

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#182 - 2014-06-22 12:16:46 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Barbara Nichole wrote:

Entirely untrue

In APB I would suicide gank in a van with free candy scrawled on the side.

And then there was the battlefield buggy bombs.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#183 - 2014-06-22 12:19:56 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Barbara Nichole wrote:

Entirely untrue

Ramming large tier 8, 9 or 10 artillery in a scout tank is still a common tactic in WoT too

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#184 - 2014-06-22 12:32:14 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Barbara Nichole wrote:

Entirely untrue

Ramming large tier 8, 9 or 10 artillery in a scout tank is still a common tactic in WoT too

Does intentionally crashing into the space centre in KSP count? P

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#185 - 2014-06-22 12:36:03 UTC
As an expert on the field of miner extermination and a true Champion of Highsec I feel obligated to share my personal views on the topic

Highsec is just another set of rules
There are different areas in the game with different sets of rules which requires a different set of tactics to obliterate an opponent. Highsec is nothing special in this regard. The rules are that you can aggress a random target but gain a criminal flag while doing so. CONCORD will then warp in, jam, neut and kill the aggressors ship.

The whole game mechanics of highsec is stacked against random aggression, this makes some people feel safe and they let their guard down. This means that Highsec has a rich set of targets for people who are interested in how the game mechanics there actually work and how to kill opponents despite the omnipresent, all-knowing, invincible CONCORD.

Highsec is not a "save zone" it's another set of rules in a game where the main topic is blowing up spaceships.

It's fun
I play this game to have fun, blowing up ships is fun and obliterating an opponent is fun. You never know what you get when you kill a miner. And the eggs, OMFG the eggs...

Miners (Real talk)
I don't deny that I look down on the miners. I think people who sacrifice their free time to play the most boring minigame in all of gaming have probably some serious issues. I also think that the PLEX centered lifestyle so many miners advertise, where you do hours of endlessly boring mining to finance another month of endlessly boring mining is probably the end stage of a serious condition and you should visit someone and talk about it.

But I don't tell them that ingame, I am always kind and polite when I talk to miners or any other player in the game. I try where I can to help them to realize what they are actually doing and point them into the direction of other play styles in the hope that they will experience the real EVE and not just shoot rocks for another month and then quit because of health issues.

Killing miners is elite PvP
As established earlier, the rules of Highsec are completely stacked against the aggressor. We fight an impossible fight against opponents that are protected by omnipresent, all-knowing, invincible NPCs and still the Code always wins.

We don't go for the "easy mode" zerosec playground where the game mechanics for you and your opponents are balanced and you can spot every potential threat with your perfect intel tool "local".

And I know, you all think now "but the miners can't shoot back!". I don't care, if they decide to let their guard down and fly a fragile ship without weapons, a ship I can kill with one or a couple of destroyers I will spray antimatter into their face and don't tell me you would not do the same in null/low/wormsec. The difference is you play easy mode and can keep your ship after the kill.
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#186 - 2014-06-22 13:04:39 UTC
I lol'd.

Well, I didn't really laugh out loud irl.

I guess I'm a dirty liar.
Christus Estnatus Hemanseh
Doomheim
#187 - 2014-06-22 13:19:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Christus Estnatus Hemanseh
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
As an expert on the field of miner extermination and a true Champion of Highsec I feel obligated to share my personal views on the topic

Highsec is just another set of rules
There are different areas in the game with different sets of rules which requires a different set of tactics to obliterate an opponent. Highsec is nothing special in this regard. The rules are that you can aggress a random target but gain a criminal flag while doing so. CONCORD will then warp in, jam, neut and kill the aggressors ship.

The whole game mechanics of highsec is stacked against random aggression, this makes some people feel safe and they let their guard down. This means that Highsec has a rich set of targets for people who are interested in how the game mechanics there actually work and how to kill opponents despite the omnipresent, all-knowing, invincible CONCORD.

Highsec is not a "save zone" it's another set of rules in a game where the main topic is blowing up spaceships.

It's fun
I play this game to have fun, blowing up ships is fun and obliterating an opponent is fun. You never know what you get when you kill a miner. And the eggs, OMFG the eggs...

Miners (Real talk)
I don't deny that I look down on the miners. I think people who sacrifice their free time to play the most boring minigame in all of gaming have probably some serious issues. I also think that the PLEX centered lifestyle so many miners advertise, where you do hours of endlessly boring mining to finance another month of endlessly boring mining is probably the end stage of a serious condition and you should visit someone and talk about it.

But I don't tell them that ingame, I am always kind and polite when I talk to miners or any other player in the game. I try where I can to help them to realize what they are actually doing and point them into the direction of other play styles in the hope that they will experience the real EVE and not just shoot rocks for another month and then quit because of health issues.

Killing miners is elite PvP
As established earlier, the rules of Highsec are completely stacked against the aggressor. We fight an impossible fight against opponents that are protected by omnipresent, all-knowing, invincible NPCs and still the Code always wins.

We don't go for the "easy mode" zerosec playground where the game mechanics for you and your opponents are balanced and you can spot every potential threat with your perfect intel tool "local".

And I know, you all think now "but the miners can't shoot back!". I don't care, if they decide to let their guard down and fly a fragile ship without weapons, a ship I can kill with one or a couple of destroyers I will spray antimatter into their face and don't tell me you would not do the same in null/low/wormsec. The difference is you play easy mode and can keep your ship after the kill.

New Order fellas risk nothing as nothing a miner can do could drive them out of the game, whereas their kind surely has driven endless miners out of the game.

At least miners are honest about not wanting to be blown and stop handing money to CCP, whereas gankers disguise their activity as if it was something else than playing a videogame.
DJentropy Ovaert
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#188 - 2014-06-22 13:27:55 UTC  |  Edited by: DJentropy Ovaert
Christine Peeveepeeski wrote:

I am genuinely interested, why do you do it?

Personally, I gank miners due it being a lot of fun to me.

The only reason I play any video game is to have fun and enjoy what free time that I have when I am not working or otherwise busy. One of the major reasons that I got into Eve in the first place was the marketing and the game design that allows and even encourages what most other games would call "greifing". Part of the special magic that is EVE is the ability to play the "bad guy" and the open sandbox style of the game that allows players to pretty much do whatever they want - we are really only limited by game mechanics and some basic common sense rules (It's probably not smart to send RL death threats to other EVE players who you might not be a fan of, etc).

The ganking lifestyle is not for everyone, of course! I really enjoy the whole experience of finding that perfect target via probe and directional scan, gathering the intel that I need to determine what is required to make sure that I will be able to destroy my target, and finally - getting that perfect warp in, dropping out right on top of them, and opening fire. Personally, I find it to be a lot of fun!

There's plenty of other things to do in EVE, of course - and ganking things is just one of them. In my years of playing EVE - I have tried to do a little bit of everything - as I have found that having at least a general understanding of most things really helps you when doing something specific. Ganking miners will make you a more solid miner if you choose to do that, spending some time mining will make you a better ganker, and so on.

I can't really say that I do it for ISK - I do make a decent profit, but it's not anything amazing or special. Thankfully, I have found that making enough ISK to support the things that I want to do on my various accounts is quite easy, and really takes no time at all. Of course, I don't grind for hours to purchase a PLEX to pay for my account monthly - to me, spending countless hours sitting at a asteroid belt mining rocks or running the same set of boring missions and pressing F1 on the same set of red boxes just seems a bit silly when I can simply hand CCP $15 per account a month to totally free me from self-imposed boredom.

That being said - if sitting at a belt and spending many many hours mining in order to purchase a PLEX to pay for an account so it can have more time to mine more and purchase the next PLEX is someone's personal idea of a fun time, more power to them! However, EVE does not allow them to play the game solo - they are in the sandbox, and by being undocked and doing what they find fun to do - they run the same risk we all do - the risk of someone else's idea of fun intersecting with their idea and causing some content to be created. That's what makes EVE wonderful!

Another thing that I "get" from ganking is a smile knowing that I have provided someone else with some content and that my actions have had a real impact on their gameplay. As I said earlier, this is what makes EVE special - in most MMO games this is just not possible in any meaningful way at all. It's one of the things that I really feel CCP totally got right when they created this game - the fact that any players actions can have some pretty serious positive or negative effects on another players or even groups of players is something special and awesome. This "something special" is what has made it pretty hard for me to ever really enjoy most other MMO games - after a short time of playing it becomes obvious that nothing any single player does really matters very much and the entire game will continue more or less in the exact same way regardless of if I choose to play it or not. World Of Warcraft is a perfect example of this.

I hope that gives you some insight into why some people gank. Of course, many other people who enjoy it probably have totally different and varied reasons of why they enjoy it. Whatever the personal reasons, I am delighted that ganking is part of basic game mechanics, working as intended, and a totally supported style of play in EVE. If it was taken away - I think EVE would lose a big part of what makes it such a unique and special game.

*Edit: Fixed a typo*
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#189 - 2014-06-22 13:31:25 UTC
Christus Estnatus Hemanseh wrote:

New Order fellas risk nothing as nothing a miner can do could drive them out of the game, whereas their kind surely has driven endless miners out of the game.
At least miners are honest about not wanting to be blown and stop handing money to CCP, whereas gankers disguise their activity as if it was something else than playing a videogame.

You show a complete lack of understanding of the situation

Continunal refuse to defend yourself is what drives you out of the game, not any will on the part of a pirate

"disguise their activity as if it was something else than playing a videogame" No, it IS playing this particular game

Its one of the professions in the game, which is a RPG

You dont seem to grasp that and thats what I cannot understand

Lady Areola Fappington
#190 - 2014-06-22 13:48:16 UTC
At risk of turning it into one of THOSE threads, here's why I gank, and fly with The New Order.

They're a great bunch of people. Early in this iteration of EVE (I've played off and on since beta), I hooked up with three different, decent sized "high sec PVE" corps, and each of them was, quite frankly, full of idiots. It gets utterly annoying to have people speculating about your gender, possession/lack of certain parts of anatomy, and sexual habits, every time you log in....and this from corp-mates.

The New Order, on the other hand, made me feel welcome and accepted. DJ even more so, as of late, has been doing a great job at keeping things chill, and respectful.

I'd much rather hang out with the "bad guys" and be treated like a person, than hang out with the "good guys" and be treated like dirt.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#191 - 2014-06-22 13:49:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Christus Estnatus Hemanseh wrote:
Gankers, for the most part, don't want to drive miners out of the game, it reduces the amount of people to shoot at. They, contrary to appearances, understand that mining is an important part of the economy, what they do object to is people who mindlessly mine for hours while watching faptube or AFK, it lowers the value of minerals and it lowers the income for people who mine and pay attention.

Quote:
At least miners are honest about not wanting to be blown and stop handing money to CCP
Don't want to get blown up? Use a mining ship that's fit for the purpose of mining in a hostile environment, fit a tank, pay attention to the game, don't be AFK when the gankers find you. Alternatively play a game that isn't PvP oriented or one that has a PvE realm.

Quote:
whereas gankers disguise their activity as if it was something else than playing a videogame.
MMORPG, please note the RPG part of that acronym, it means Role Playing Game, role playing is as much a part of the game as spaceships are, thus people who role play as the Spanish Inquisition in space are playing a videogame,

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Cazador 64
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#192 - 2014-06-22 13:55:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Cazador 64
There is money to be made but it's still a **** tactic. EVE is a wonderful game and there are very few like it anymore,and I like that you can do what ever you like but, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Sadly EVE attracts some of the worst of the worst of the gaming community there are very few people I know who I would sit and have a beer with.
Cazador 64
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#193 - 2014-06-22 13:58:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Cazador 64
Cazador 64 wrote:
Arkady Romanov wrote:
Cazador 64 wrote:
[quote= Mallak Azaria]FCON makes it easier & more amusing than it probably should be.

I am pretty sure goons has it's fair share of derp losses also.

Not really, since Miniluv secretly keeps a list of all Goon neutral haulers and doesn't attack them. Unlike FCon freighters. Blink

You must mean besides that ark loss in f-88 of course. And that 4b isk pod. Yeah besides those they have no derp losses I'm sure only just this past week.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#194 - 2014-06-22 14:04:15 UTC
Cazador 64 wrote:
There is money to be made but it's still a **** tactic.

So are margin trading, space-hoovering, ninja-looting, combat site-storming and relic-bombing, but these dont seem to bother people as much as having to go to the "effort" of protecting a mining ship

Cazador 64
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#195 - 2014-06-22 14:09:27 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Cazador 64 wrote:

So are margin trading, space-hoovering, ninja-looting, combat site-storming and relic-bombing, but these dont seem to bother people as much as having to go to the "effort" of protecting a mining ship

And we don't have a perfect game. And I do not partake in aby of those activities. I play eve because I can kill people when ever I like. I play eve because there is no other game like it. But I tend to avoid activities that I think might cause someone to quit the game. Ie: killing noob miners
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#196 - 2014-06-22 14:13:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Cazador 64 wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Cazador 64 wrote:

And we don't have a perfect game. And I do not partake in aby of those activities. I play eve because I can kill people when ever I like. I play eve because there is no other game like it. But I tend to avoid activities that I think might cause someone to quit the game. Ie: killing noob miners

I didnt say you did

I said you were not vocal about those activities, even though they are, as you say "**** tactics"

Also, I dont agree with your assertation that new-player miners are specifically targetted beyond any other age of player.

If you could also define a "perfect game", I very much like to know what you think it would include.

For me, the perfect MMORPG would be one without NPCs, which I believe EvE could be if it continues to evolve

Cazador 64
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#197 - 2014-06-22 14:19:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Cazador 64
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Cazador 64 wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Cazador 64 wrote:

I didnt say you did

I said you were not vocal about those activities, even though they are, as you say "**** tactics"

Also, I dont agree with your assertation that new-player miners are specifically targetted beyond any other age of player.

If you could also define a "perfect game", I very much like to know what you think it would include.

For me, the perfect MMORPG would be one without NPCs, which I believe EvE could be if it continues to evolve

I would not want EVE completely void of Npc but I would like to see better AI. And also would like to see more power for players in empire. Think incursion with better AI more ships and you have to fight for control of empire not only vs other players but stronger better AI npc. But I would also like a better community
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#198 - 2014-06-22 14:22:33 UTC
Cazador 64 wrote:

I would not want EVE completely void of Npc but I would like to see better AI. And also would like to see more power for players in empire. Think incursion with better AI more ships and you have to fight for control of empire not only valid other players but stronger better AI npc.

What do NPCs provide that players cannot in that scenario?

I despise the idea that in a universe where the players are "god-like beings", we still have to accept the rule of primitive computer programs.

A nullsec invasion would give you your better AI and your more ships adn your having to fight for control of the empire without and endless tream of faceless, immersion-shattering robo-men

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#199 - 2014-06-22 14:25:48 UTC
I skipped over the responses in the thread, because i wanted to address the OP's question specifically.

Eve is a game built on the idea of making things (specifically other people's things) explode. The entire Eve economy is predicated on that idea. Without explosions, there is no reason to build anything except mission boats and ammo for said activities.

So you see, they do it because it must be done.

Also, it's fun.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#200 - 2014-06-22 14:34:33 UTC
KnowUsByTheDead wrote:
I do not believe I have ever heard any one of the "HS piracy" groups or players claim they play the game specifically grief someone out of the game.

Really? Because Herr Wilkus literally said this just a few pages ago.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.