These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Back after 3 years - Socket Still Closed? Well so is my account then..

First post First post First post
Author
Sub 7
Mintech Industries
#1 - 2014-06-21 17:18:17 UTC
120Mb connection, not wireless, no issues with any other game online. I come back after three years away and get kicked out every 15 minutes just like the good old days. Not much changes around here I see.

By then.

No you still can't have my stuff.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#2 - 2014-06-21 17:21:17 UTC
Sub 7 cannot into computer

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Paranoid Loyd
#3 - 2014-06-21 17:34:29 UTC
Bye, eve has enough whiners we don't need another.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Jimtom
Gypsum Engineering and Mining
#4 - 2014-06-21 17:35:15 UTC
Hey

You could try looking here for answers to your problem:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=334556&find=unread

:)
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#5 - 2014-06-21 17:40:07 UTC
Oh my. Is the “I have x Mb on my connection, therefore there should be no problem” myth still alive? Lol
It's like the good old “I have a gigabit router, why is my ping 300ms?!” days all over again.
Sub 7
Mintech Industries
#6 - 2014-06-21 17:41:02 UTC
Jimtom wrote:
Hey

Thanks Jim, but I'd rather not have to set up a VPN just to play. It's easier to find another MMO.

The connection to Eve was more stable ten years ago on dial up. If CCP can't sort it out with Virgin Media then there really isn't much hope Roll
Cazador 64
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-06-21 17:45:49 UTC
Sub 7 wrote:
Jimtom wrote:
Hey

Thanks Jim, but I'd rather not have to set up a VPN just to play. It's easier to find another MMO.

The connection to Eve was more stable ten years ago on dial up. If CCP can't sort it out with Virgin Media then there really isn't much hope Roll
in almost 5 full years of play I can count on one hand how many times I have been dc. And in the past 2 years I have never personally been dropped. Ps can I have your stuff?
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2014-06-21 17:54:47 UTC
Why do you keep coming back?
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-06-21 18:01:41 UTC
Maybe Aura is trying to tell you something...
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#10 - 2014-06-21 18:12:06 UTC
Sub 7 wrote:
Jimtom wrote:
Hey

Virgin Media...I think we have you problem.

BUt seriously its fine for 99% of Eve. Its not CCPs fault most likely.
You are a spoiled child.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#11 - 2014-06-21 18:12:14 UTC
Sub 7 wrote:
If CCP can't sort it out with Virgin Media then there really isn't much hope Roll

Im on Virgin Media and my game is just fine

The problem must be at your end

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#12 - 2014-06-21 18:25:40 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Sub 7 wrote:
If CCP can't sort it out with Virgin Media then there really isn't much hope Roll

Im on Virgin Media and my game is just fine

The problem must be at your end

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Same, I'm also a Virgin Media customer and I can play fine.

OP if you're using the Virgin hub as both modem and router there can be some issues, I've put mine into modem only mode and use my own router because the hubs can crash when used as a router, especially if wireless is enabled.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

CCP Falcon
#13 - 2014-06-21 18:29:15 UTC

Sorry to hear you're still having issues, but sadly this is our of our control.

Good reference from our GM Team has already been posted in this thread, so I won't re-link it, but it might be an idea to call your ISP and speak to them about the issue and if anything can be done to solve it.

Hope you get it fixed, either way Smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#14 - 2014-06-21 18:35:03 UTC
This is what the end result of entitlement looks like, folks. Nothing can be his fault. It MUST be attributed to someone else, something else, anything but him.

Here's a free computer tip, slick. Just because other games play fine, does not mean you don't need to tweak your computer/router. If I were you, I'd start by checking my port settings. Although it's probably easier just to talk **** and claim it's not your fault.

Oh, and quit threads are against the rules unless they're in OOPE.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#15 - 2014-06-21 18:37:06 UTC
It's sad to see someone not able to play the game because of a connection issue. So far the advice is pretty good. Last winter there were issues with connecting from around the Seattle area and we were able to trace it down to a Comcast node. Using 4G from the ass end of nowhere and hitting a tower in Camano I could not get a ping to the server, but if I hit the VPN through Edmonds (just north) from there I could get a ping. So while it initially seemed like I could not get a connection, it was one node having some issue which eventually cleared up. I used the time not playing the game to shave my back or something (don't remember).

Another thing I have seen is strange router behavior, mainly from old routers. Could the router be suspect? In one case an old router was used and two systems on a home network could not BOTH log into WoW at the same time. It was strange indeed because when one was logged in, the other could not get a login. It turned out that the router was of the sort that did not have a switch installed (yes routers were once made without built-in switches) to the addition of a simple Linksys 4-port switch solved that problem. So I would not only look into the age of the router, but the settings as well. I have seen DD-WRT routers that you can configure for or against known "gaming ports".
(I buy old Linksys routers at Goodwill for 5 bucks and use DD-WRT to turn them into bridges and repeaters, rather then spend hundreds of dollars on repeaters).

I would be curious to see what would happen if the OP ran a tracert to the game server(s).

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#16 - 2014-06-21 18:53:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
^^ Confirming DD-WRT is awesomesauce, the feature set it opens up rivals that of really expensive stuff.

When I buy a router, for myself or for a customer, 3rd party firmware compatibility is usually at the top of the list of things I look for.

Unfortunately it doesn't help the OP if the problem is with the Virgin hub, they can't be replaced with your own modem router, are locked down tight, belong to the ISP, and like most things they're built by whoever put in the lowest bid for the contract, Netgear in this instance IIRC.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2014-06-21 21:20:27 UTC
I haven't had any virgin media since I met my wife*, but here in the great state of Oklahoma I can connect to them far off servers across the big blue wet thing from downtime to downtime with narry a drop.

* seriously, how could you guys all take a pass on that? It's like you're not even trying. Unsuccessful At Everything wouldn't have let that go. Time to up your game people. This is GD, not New Citizens.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Doreen Kaundur
#18 - 2014-06-21 23:01:53 UTC
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
I haven't had any virgin media since I met my wife...

Pffft...yeah right. Like your wife was a virgin. Roll

[center]1. Minor navigation color change. 2. Show bookmarks in the overview.[/center]

Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#19 - 2014-06-22 01:55:31 UTC
Sub 7 wrote:
Jimtom wrote:
Hey

Confirming yet another Virgin media customer with no problems for months.

Just you then?
Lord Fudo
Doomheim
#20 - 2014-06-22 06:40:04 UTC
Sub 7 wrote:
120Mb connection, not wireless, no issues with any other game online. I come back after three years away and get kicked out every 15 minutes just like the good old days. Not much changes around here I see.

By then.

No you still can't have my stuff.

I quit EVE for a year because of the socket closed crap. Still get it now on a new pc, new isp, new modem, and new router.
123Next page