These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Eurydia Vespasian, awesome avatar pic!

Author
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-06-16 18:41:10 UTC
I must admit, I've been wanting to see more of you! And by that I mean you don't post as much as I'd hoped you would. You should pop your pretty face in a bit more often. =)

Also, needed to get this thread off my chest, and maybe need a topic to derail Kate's thread slightly. I usually make recognition threads for people who aren't the talk of the town, but I think I misjudged slightly on that one. :P

Anyway, you work in the field of medicine, is that correct? I have a high impression of you folks. Tell me about your line of work?

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#2 - 2014-06-16 19:32:01 UTC
Mhm. I've not been as active on the forum lately. I mean I read them but I don't post as much. Nothing to say for myself. lol

I work in surgery. Surg tech. Basically, a operating room assistant. There's a lot involved. Setting up cases. Equipment use. Instrumentation knowledge. Sterile field knowledge. Positioning and transport. I hate using this as an example...but anytime you see a satire of a surgical procedure and the surgeon says "clamp" and someone passes the doc a clamp (which in reality there are very specific types lol). Anyway...I'm the one passing the instrument. =)

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-06-16 19:46:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
That's really awesome! It's one of those really valuable jobs that gets ignored. I always wanted to know more about that line of work. I've always been into jobs that involve sorting and assisting. I think that would be a job I might enjoy.

So what's it like at work? And just how much does the work environment differ from the Medical Dramas on television? Do you work in a public or privately operated hospital, or other type of clinic?

I realized a few weeks ago while watching Scrubs that I actually don't know what a hospital looks like on the inside. I've been in an emergency room, a few feet down the first hall, and all the rest of my experience in medical areas took place in small family doctor offices, red cross donation rooms, pharmaceutical study clinics, military medic rooms, and other small branch locations. I've never really seen the inside of a hospital except for on medical dramas. Is that what they really look like?

I've always been fascinated by medical environments. Most people feel intimidated in such places but I always feel more at ease when surrounded by those clean white rooms, bright fluorescent lights, and all that fancy equipment and needles and such. I love getting poked and prodded with medical equipment, especially needles. Some would say I have a sick obsession, but if you guys ever need a blood transfusion, remember who's giving that stuff up. :P

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-06-16 22:16:27 UTC
Star Trek science officer uniform definitely a plus.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#5 - 2014-06-16 22:20:58 UTC
+1 for Surgery technicians. One day I will have my own minions ... ehm ... I mean assistants.

❤️️💛💚💙💜

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#6 - 2014-06-16 22:27:51 UTC
the facility i work at is a small rural hospital. we have 3 operating rooms. it's rare for more than two of them to be used on any given day. as far as drama goes...well...anytime you have a group of people working together there is going to be occasional drama. particularly when it is all women. which aside from some of the surgeons and anesthesia team, it is. lol

we have our moments. but most of the time we make a pretty awesome team and come together and we get done what needs done. so despite any personal beef that might exist at any given time, at the end of the day, it's about the patient. i like to look at it like...if it were me, or one of my family or loved one needing care, i would want them receiving the best the team had to offer. so i make the effort to give my best. even if having a crappy day or someone is pissing me off. plus, it makes me feel good to know i am part of a team that helps and makes a difference in peoples lives. which is why i went into healthcare in the first place.

but, i will say it's a good thing i have video games as a frustration outlet. lol. cause after some days...i need that. whether making something explode or even if it's just my close alliance mates listening to me vent lol. that being said...even if i come across you in my adventure and am shooting you and trying my level best to blow up your ship...you can be rest assured, that i care about you. Blink
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-06-17 02:42:32 UTC
You care about me!! ^_____^
*dies in a brilliant fireball as Eevee's shots tear my hull apart*

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-06-17 03:10:08 UTC
Eevee you definitely do a lot more to help people with your job than I do with mine (didn't want to post this while I'm at work!). My sister's a doctor (I got scared of med school before I even started.. and I knew I'd wash out).. I have a lot of respect for people in the medical field.

Quote:
One day I will have my own minions ... ehm ... I mean assistants.

Aye miztress, I would be surprised if you didn't..!

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#9 - 2014-06-18 11:40:34 UTC
Doing my part to keep the Eevee thread on page one.

yea yea.....whatever.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Aspalis
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-06-18 13:12:49 UTC
Mizhir wrote:
+1 for Surgery technicians. One day I will have my own minions ... ehm ... I mean assistants.

I like that terminology. Instead of interrogator, we will have pain technician.

Marcus Gord: "Aspalis is an onion. Many layers, each one makes you cry."

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-06-18 14:30:20 UTC
Aspalis wrote:
Mizhir wrote:

Pooh. Pain is sooo 19th century.
Advances in neurosicence and pharmacology allow us to directly apply mindshattering fear without having to rely on primitive concepts like pain.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Aspalis
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-06-18 14:38:46 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Aspalis wrote:
Mizhir wrote:

Advances in neurosicence and pharmacology allow us to directly apply mindshattering fear without having to rely on primitive concepts like pain.

Like... moderating a forum?

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#13 - 2014-06-18 14:47:31 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
the facility i work at is a small rural hospital. we have 3 operating rooms. it's rare for more than two of them to be used on any given day. as far as drama goes...well...anytime you have a group of people working together there is going to be occasional drama. particularly when it is all women. which aside from some of the surgeons and anesthesia team, it is. lol

we have our moments. but most of the time we make a pretty awesome team and come together and we get done what needs done. so despite any personal beef that might exist at any given time, at the end of the day, it's about the patient. i like to look at it like...if it were me, or one of my family or loved one needing care, i would want them receiving the best the team had to offer. so i make the effort to give my best. even if having a crappy day or someone is pissing me off. plus, it makes me feel good to know i am part of a team that helps and makes a difference in peoples lives. which is why i went into healthcare in the first place.

but, i will say it's a good thing i have video games as a frustration outlet. lol. cause after some days...i need that. whether making something explode or even if it's just my close alliance mates listening to me vent lol. that being said...even if i come across you in my adventure and am shooting you and trying my level best to blow up your ship...you can be rest assured, that i care about you. Blink

I'm currently working with a lot of nurses. My co-worker who hires them says, "If they say they want to help people, or that they always wanted to be a nurse, they'll make it. If they say any other reason, I don't hire them. They'll never make it."

By the way, EV's avatar is great, but it looks just like my long-lost love. The one who threw my heart on the ground and moonwalked on it. Well actually she didn't do that, she just led me on for a long time. So that I thought we might get to the stage where something that dramatic could happen.... Anyway, yes, excellent avatar EV. ::sigh:: Smile
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-06-18 14:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Aspalis wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Aspalis wrote:
Mizhir wrote:

Nope.
A person who has lost all hope and faith in humanity has nothing to fear anymore.
Forum moderators are tough nuts to crack for any interrogator.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Aspalis
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-06-18 15:07:35 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Aspalis wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Aspalis wrote:
Mizhir wrote:

Nope.
A person who has lost all hope and faith in humanity has nothing to fear anymore.

Oh? I am sure I could find a forum that is basically every depiction of hell.

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-06-18 15:28:54 UTC
Aspalis wrote:

Oh? I am sure I could find a forum that is basically every depiction of hell.

Sure. This is what I am talking about. Once a moderator is used to this kind of hell, there is nothing in this universe or any hypothetical parallel universe that could possibly scare him anymore.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#17 - 2014-06-18 15:55:21 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:

I'm currently working with a lot of nurses. My co-worker who hires them says, "If they say they want to help people, or that they always wanted to be a nurse, they'll make it. If they say any other reason, I don't hire them. They'll never make it."

By the way, EV's avatar is great, but it looks just like my long-lost love. The one who threw my heart on the ground and moonwalked on it. Well actually she didn't do that, she just led me on for a long time. So that I thought we might get to the stage where something that dramatic could happen.... Anyway, yes, excellent avatar EV. ::sigh:: Smile

i agree with your co-workers assessment. your head and heart need to be in the right place to last on the long term in this field. and you need to be extremely adaptable because things change, process changes, procedure changes, regulation changes. it's nearly constant.

and lol...you are not the first to say my avatar reminds them of some wicked ex that crushed them or things to that effect.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-06-18 21:34:38 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Aspalis wrote:

Part of the fear is in the belief that there will be pain.

I actually like the sound of that...pain technician. If any doctor says "I am a certified pain technician and I will be seeing you today", I'll get a huge endorphin rush. I'd be so excited! :D

Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Aspalis wrote:

Nope.
I thought Aspalis was saying that forum moderation applies mindshattering fear. I'd have to agree with that assessment. Moderating a forum has got to be one of the scariest jobs out there, up there with the likes of Air Traffic Controller, Customer Service Call Center, Tarantula Veterinarian, and mechanic at General Motors.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-06-18 22:19:00 UTC
^^ still shaving it pretty close?

You'd be excited about pain? That's sort of odd..

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-06-18 22:23:43 UTC
I never shaved that mop. It's already growing back a little, just give it time.

123Next pageLast page