These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Is it OK to lie to children?

Author
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#21 - 2014-06-17 20:53:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
And it's especially OK to tell your kids that the boogie man will get them if they don't start behaving. (Who is this boogie man, anyway? Why no images of him? And any relation to funk/disco music?)
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#22 - 2014-06-17 21:02:41 UTC
Truthfulness in all things because every lie is a abomination unto reality itself. But that's just me. I made truth the prime principle of mine.
Dorian Tormak
Rapid Withdrawal
Pen Is Out
#23 - 2014-06-17 21:09:48 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
And it's especially OK to tell your kids that the boogie man will get them if they don't start behaving. (Who is this boogie man, anyway? Why no images of him? And any relation to funk/disco music?)

I used to picture a goofy cartoon guy doing a "boogie" type dance when I would think about the boogie man. I was still scared of it but that's what popped into my head when I was a kid.

Holy Satanic Christ! This is a Goddamn Signature!

Evei Shard
Shard Industries
#24 - 2014-06-17 22:02:22 UTC
Doreen Kaundur wrote:
topics like Santa Claus, tooth fairy...etc.

I recall the lies and the subtle disappointment as I grew up that I was being lied to.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think it's right.

What do you think?

I think you need a change of venue if you honestly believe the Eve Online forums are a place to get good advice on moral issues.

Profit favors the prepared

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2014-06-18 00:59:31 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
What about that one that if you fiddle with yourself you go blind?

hhrl diisal?? dsjjdklk elld lld !!!! kfkd;d ehlp ehlp! fhklwpepm ddf efefe
f

feffef ddfdd

dfdfdddd ddd slgrotolloell ?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Aspalis
Euphoria Released
#26 - 2014-06-18 01:01:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Aspalis
I tell kids all the time that if they eat their greens, there will be cake.

Of course, there is no cake. The cake is a lie.

Marcus Gord: "Aspalis is an onion. Many layers, each one makes you cry."

Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-06-18 01:06:45 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
What do you mean santa is a lie? I get a present from him every year!

Spoiler, Santa is really Odin.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Jonny D Adtur
always faithfull
#28 - 2014-06-18 03:13:56 UTC
When my daughter gets older I will allow her to believe whatever she wants (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, God etc.) but I won't lie to her. If she asks me if Santa is real, I will tell her to pull his beard and find out. Will I encourage her? Yes of course I will. Would I lie to her if she asks the big questions? Depends on how old she is. If she asks the sex questions at a young age then the old stork tale will be told.

Lying to children is okay, it just depends how you lie to them and the context it is.

Dustbunny, Legionhare, Miner.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#29 - 2014-06-18 04:04:25 UTC
i knew the stork story was bullshit even at a young age. my brother is 10 years older than i am. he had dirty magazines he hid in his closet. i figured out what was up pretty early lol Big smile
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-06-18 07:34:09 UTC
Doreen Kaundur wrote:

I recall the lies and the subtle disappointment as I grew up that I was being lied to.

What do you think?

Your parents didn't lie well enough then. Big smile

If they go the extra mile to make it believable the joy of discovering the truth bit by tiny little bit will be all the better. Also, the festivities are the same fun even after wards, so why not. *shrugs*

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Antihrist Pripravnik
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-06-18 14:52:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Ok, here it goes...

- Tooth fairy does not exist in the culture of my country. Parents just give the money to their children when the tooth is out Smile

- Storks for bringing little brothers and sisters exist in local culture. However, instead of believing in that story, I remember that I knew where my brother is, but was somewhat confused about how is he going to get out of there (I was 4 Smile)

- Santa was always a shady and at least questionable character. I had my doubts, but two events totally confirmed them. Just a note, since I live in an orthodox church country, Santa gives presents for New Year and Christmas is mostly religious holiday for "grown ups" Blink :
1) One year when my kindergarten group was receiving presents for New Year, we were all supposed to take a picture with Santa individually. I still remember the horrible alcoholic breath of that "Santa" Lol However, that only confirmed my doubts that there were fake Santas, as surely someone who is supposed to be nice and give presents wouldn't smell of "Rakija".
2) What definitively confirmed it was the next year. I grew up in hyper-inflation. Just to give a hint of what I'm talking about:

Quote:
rate of inflation hit 5 × 10^15 percent cumulative inflation over the time period 1 October 1993 and 24 January 1994.
Peak Month and Rate of Inflation: Jan. 1994, 313 billion percent).

(source)

In an environment like that, I had to know, as a pre-schooler, how to calculate using billions in order to be able to buy candy CoolBig smile, so I was aware of what inflation and devaluation was and knew which forms of money existed. That year, my father somehow got his hands on a certain amount of bank cheques, which were rare at the time even though they were, at the time, the only legal way to spend money directly from your bank account (without picking up the money from the bank yourself, of course). The real beauty of it was that you could write a date on it and the money could not be claimed before that date. Given the inflation rates and the fact that most of the stores were owned by the government (big thanks to communism), if you set a date a month from when you are buying stuff, the inflation would bring the final amount to pretty much nothing (313,000,000,000% rememberBig smile) even if you spend the same amount multiple times and go in red when the cheques are processed. So, the only "victim" in this was the government itself, who was responsible for the situation anyway.

Since I already knew how bank cheques work, my father just brought the cheques one day before the New Year and said:
"Son, you are going to pick now whatever you want for your New Year's presents. This year, it will really be Santa who is going to pay for the stuff."
We both laughed.Lol

Actually, that was the best New Year in my life Big smile
Kijo Rikki
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-06-18 15:59:27 UTC
I believe it depends on a few variables. Children have wonderful imaginations and it can be rewarding and fun to see the tooth fairy and santa claus and other fairy tale stories come to life through children. Of course, the truth should be brought to life before they hit double digits if they haven't already figured it out by then. Likewise, some things about life, death, sex, winning and losing are ok at first to shield children from, but should be brought to light by double digits or shortly thereafter.

I think one of the most important lies we tell our children that needs to be brought to light before middle school is the fact that not everybody is a winner and special. They need to taste defeat and learn how to deal with it. Otherwise we're just throwing our children to the wolves when they get out of high school or college and they find out real quick that life is not fair, they are not always winners and there are no prizes for second place, and they have no idea how to handle it.

And lastly, I personally despise ideological indoctrination, of any kind.

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Snagletooth Johnson
Snagle Material Services
CAStabouts
#33 - 2014-06-18 20:52:06 UTC
Doreen Kaundur wrote:

What do you think?

If finding out Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy aren't real is so traumatizing to you then you need a psychiatrist, not an Eve account.
Marsha Mallow
#34 - 2014-06-18 21:23:02 UTC
Depends what kind of lies. I lie to kids in the family all the time (mainly to get them to go to bed when I'm looking after them). You know you've derped when you make one cry Straight

My mother told me when I was 21 the goldfish I had when I was 5 died. Several times. So she kept replacing it rather than tell me. Apparently I didn't even notice it changed colour once (she said it was what they do when they grow up). I was torn between amusement and outrage when she confessed, but I'd have probably been really upset at the time. Especially since she flushed the dead ones down the loo. I think those are lies to protect parents from having to do difficult things so I had a bit of gleeful revenge. She was known as 'the muderer' for a few weeks, and I kept asking whether they were really dead when she flushed them ('Did you perform CPR, mother?!?').

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Omar Alharazaad
Nefarious Porpoise
#35 - 2014-06-19 02:21:43 UTC
A man who always tells the truth is not an honest person, he's a sadist.
Believe it was Heinlein who said that in one of his books, always struck me as a nugget of sagacity.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Previous page12