These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Discussion: Adding Variance to 0.0 and Sovereignty

Author
Garandras
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2014-06-17 05:13:48 UTC
Loraine Gess wrote:
but then I remembered his alliance lost all its space and is currently hemorrhaging members.

So there is that.

Well not hemorrhaging members anymore..

They have already moved on.

But I do disagree with what he has written here, they only thing that will change the power balance at this stage, is a change in the player base and mentality. Which is highly unlikely.

There are 2 Null factions now, and until one falls on its arse it will stay that way... and even if it does fall on its arse then we will have 1 powerbloc lording over everyone else.. with either taking all of the space, or letting small mobs take it just to stomp on them when they are bored
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#22 - 2014-06-17 06:58:07 UTC
Kalorian wrote:

Moons

At certain points Dysprosium moons may have a higher spawn rate in a different region and that would shift wars for control over these assets. Perhaps in rare cases a moon could be spawned with 2 or 3 rarity minerals which could net more than average Dysprosium moon.

The point of this suggestion is to add variability to the value of specific regions. Currently if you have moon data for a region you can calculate its rough value in moons and that would be a constant. If you do this for every region you can find where the most value is in regards to owning space.

The -exact- result of this, will be that the existing Sov holder, wil anchor a deadstick on every single moon in every single region they own, to stop neutrals having a deadstick to activate on top of a freshly spawned dyspro moon. Your idea just made Sov holding worse than pre-dominion days with tower spam, and it would make initial region control setup more expensive than it ever has been, and it will add yet another administration layer to running a Sov holder (ie scheduled moon scanning, shifting of operational non goo towers away from fresh spawns, etc).

To me it all sounds like Malcanis's law playing out at alliance scale (ie easier for extant large entities to deal with, than new entities), and therefore actually producing a result opposite to your intention.
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#23 - 2014-06-17 08:00:09 UTC
Kalorian wrote:
Alliance Sov Costs

The other complaint I’ve seen a lot of is the fact that 0.0 is essentially dead and controlled by major players and there is no sign of that breaking up because the revenue from rental alliances and corporations is too good to rock the status quo.
People out in 0.0 want more battles and more people out there. People in empire that opportunistic want an opportunity to carve their own fortune in 0.0 without being instant blobbed.

I feel the rental aspect needs to be discouraged to an extent. While renting space is great for those that don’t want to PvP and reap the benefits of what 0.0 has to offer it has created a stagnant universe that many of the veteran pilots do not like (unless they are receiving a cut of that rental income of course).

if you had a 5000 player, active non space holding entity that wanted space on its own terms, all you need do is get those 5000 pilots to hold a gun to the heads of the renters. Accomodations would be found or the rental space you assaulted may even collapse, depending on your ability to assess strategic conditions in nullsec when beginning your move, and on the awareness of your targets sov holders.

What I actually think is that there are very, very, very few ruthless people playing this game.
Kalorian
Red XIII Indy Flight School
#24 - 2014-06-17 14:56:34 UTC
Loraine Gess wrote:
I like how OP, even after being told how stupid he is, both directly and point by point, insists this would help small blocs. As if the larger blocs don't have the manpower to constantly re-scan their moons and break into 600 different bajillion alliances to keep costs down. I'd almost say he's a shill trying to argue for ways his alliance can get stronger, but then I remembered his alliance lost all its space and is currently hemorrhaging members.

So there is that.

It is actually to spur further discussion and debate. But you actually help prove my point. Breaking these blocks up into multiple alliances adds further risk and chance for these groups to splinter and form new smaller manageable blocs. More politics in managing organizations that are split off from you rather than with you.

In regards to the alliance comment I have just joined AAA after a break from the game. My comments in no way reflect AAA thoughts. I am still getting to know more about the alliance, their history etc..

I was hoping on my return the coalition aspects and rental stuff would've changed and perhaps 0.0 would've been more interesting and conflict driven as it was when I first started playing and used to get my friends to play showing them the influence map and the political intrigue / ultimate pvp experience. Now its not that great to show off when huge chunks of space are owned by a few groups and you either are part of them, pay them rent or in empire space.

Playing eve for so long I would argue that it wasn't CCP's intention for 0.0 to turn out this way and perhaps their direction with "going beyond the known universe" is a step towards moving away from this. If they intended / supported coalitions and mass blocs like this and renting they would implement these mechanics as features in my opinion

Felicity Love wrote:
To summarize: "I'm not making enough ISK, ergo Null is broken." This "compression" stuff works on text, too.

I do not need to make billions of isk a week to enjoy the game and this is not personally motivated. I would rather see 0.0 conflict driven as it was before the days of capital ships than it being rental driven. I would argue that many others not part of the blocs would agree. How many posts do you see about how dead 0.0 is? How many corps and alliances result to high sec ganking because they can't get any good battles in 0.0? Look at the progression of high sec empire wars and battles vs null sec. People don't want to grind sov as it is not a popular mechanic and hasn't been. People that want to go null sec can't unless they rent or get a character in one of these blocs to play in 0.0 at least in an organized non-solo way.

Abrazzar wrote:
Smash moon goo monopolies: Make moons produce P0s and react them into P1s and moon materials. Now anyone can export P0s to a POS and react moon materials. Rarer moon materials may require several P0s and/or produce fewer moon materials per cycle with equal or more P0 need.

That is another possibility. The point of the moon suggestion is to get rid of the isk machines that are static and that currently all you need to know are where they are and have enough cap fleet blobs to control them.

Tauranon wrote:
But I do disagree with what he has written here, they only thing that will change the power balance at this stage, is a change in the player base and mentality. Which is highly unlikely.

That may be true and I can agree with that. However sometimes it takes game mechanic changes to spur this change of mentality. Look at how much the Siphons stirred up excitement that smaller organizations could strike at some of these larger alliances that aren't monitoring their towers. However instead the mechanic was left to where you could do a simple reaction of gases in which the siphon would get the majority of the finished product rather than the dysprosium or other value R64/R32. It was a feature that had potential but CCP did not follow through with the intent of this feature and have not announced plans for Tech II's or faction siphons that can choose their targeted material. In my opinion it is because it would upset the status quo too much and anger the veterans that have these moons.

Tauranon wrote:
The -exact- result of this, will be that the existing Sov holder, wil anchor a deadstick on every single moon in every single region they own, to stop neutrals having a deadstick to activate on top of a freshly spawned dyspro moon.

Exactly. It adds an element that is more challenging to manage and shifts logistics and players. It changes. Controlling 4-5 regions full of towers just to control every moon not only is very expensive and cuts into the coffers but also interferes with renters when they can't anchor a POS at a moon to operate in 0.0 because their landlord needs every moon available in order to not miss where the moon goo is spawned / seeded

Tauranon wrote:
and it would make initial region control setup more expensive than it ever has been, and it will add yet another administration layer to running a Sov holder (ie scheduled moon scanning shifting of operational non goo towers away from fresh spawns, etc)

Again that is the point. A large organization that is responsible for 1000's of moons this is very challenging. Thus encouraging smaller mobile alliances to control a constellation or two with 300-500 members is more manageable. It spreads the isk out more in which smaller entities when they get lucky get a dysprosium moon can afford to field more ships in which results in more battles with neighboring entities.
Kalorian
#25 - 2014-06-17 14:57:25 UTC
Tauranon wrote:
To me it all sounds like Malcanis's law playing out at alliance scale (ie easier for extant large entities to deal with, than new entities), and therefore actually producing a result opposite to your intention.

From my perspective it doesn't as there have been at least 3 dissenting opinions (including yours) to this that have further proven the point of what this would do to large organizations. Naturally these large organizations do not want the status quo changed and do not want elements introduced to the game that discourages large blocs or at the very least makes them very hard to manage. It would not eliminate coalitions from forming but these coalitions would be made of 50-100 alliances spread out across constellations again adding to the risk of political intrigue.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#26 - 2014-06-17 14:58:50 UTC
Launch Operation: Overlord at High Sec

Take it, its there for the plucking

This is all that needs to be done

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-06-17 15:09:43 UTC
Kalorian wrote:

Moon Minerals tend to be a focal point. When wars are raged the most valuable moons are targeted to turn off the ISK machine that these moons can be.

Moon mined items simply cause the transfer of ISK from the consumer (industrialist) to the producer (PoS Owner).

There is also upkeep cost of sov and that POS.
Kalorian
#28 - 2014-06-17 15:36:49 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:

Moon mined items simply cause the transfer of ISK from the consumer (industrialist) to the producer (PoS Owner).

There is also upkeep cost of sov and that POS.

Correct Lets take a look at some numbers for 1 sov system and 1 dysprosium moon for 30 days:

Fueling (sov bonus applied - non faction)
Fuel Blocks - 390m (rounded up)

Infrastructure
TCU - 180m
IHUB with lets say a cyno suppression - 600m

Logistics
Perhaps we use Blackfrog - 200m

Total Expenses 1.37bn

Revenue:

Dysprosium (removing 2k units for siphon speculation) - 4.13bn

Profit - 2.76bn

While the dysprosim is sold on the open market there are lower margins for the industrialists to buy.. react.. build the T2 components.. build the T2 ships.

If moons had limited resources that respawned it would naturally spread out the most valuable of assets randomly throughout the eve universe taking away these isk machines.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2014-06-17 15:37:15 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:
To summarize: "I'm not making enough ISK, ergo Null is broken." This "compression" stuff works on text, too. Roll

Null IS broken. But not because of that.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Previous page12