These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Come back veteran/younger player! Be a prick or... be a prick!

First post
Author
Marsha Mallow
#21 - 2014-06-13 12:42:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsha Mallow
Jenn aSide wrote:
Secondly, how is CCP (who made a game that does not take sides) one-sidedly deciding that you need to be a prick? Hell, you don't even have to be particularly mean to anyone in this game to get filthy rich (example: his name is Cribba).

*Chribba. He often appears if you spell his name properly. Not sure what he does when people spell it wrong.

Still though, I would like to see some sort of recall advert aimed at that other demographic. "Come back and get splattered over the nearest stargate whilst bellowing 'That's Not Fair' [Subs include access to the forums where you can shout abuse at other players]".

Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Also, some capsuleers may have a heart and think of all the children... some may love and appreciate civilization better than the false and overly pandered "virtues" of "primitive life", aka barbarism.

Playing Attila the Hun is fun... but also is playing Julius Caesar. Blink

You're taking the definition of barbarian vs civilised straight from Tacitus, and he was a propagandist, apologist and polemicist. If he was alive in this universe he'd be writing for en24 or TMC. Might have his own blog too. Julius Caesar was not the epitome of civilised society you think, go look up some of his campaigns.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-06-13 12:55:22 UTC
Maybe the OP just wants something like faction war, but it would be empire militias that pay out LP for kills against sov holding corps made in low or null sec? There you go, some kind of arms length attempts to use capsuliers against those who might be a little problematic for empire's.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#23 - 2014-06-13 13:00:04 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Secondly, how is CCP (who made a game that does not take sides) one-sidedly deciding that you need to be a prick? Hell, you don't even have to be particularly mean to anyone in this game to get filthy rich (example: his name is Cribba).

*Chribba. He often appears if you spell his name properly. Not sure what he does when people spell it wrong.

That's why I left the H off. I don't want him to appear, my ships are mostly made of Veldspar, im afraid he'll try to mine me If he see's me Big smile

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-06-13 13:00:42 UTC
Conrad Lionhart wrote:
Why didn't I get such an offer? I was away for over a year!

because **** you that's why

Psychotic Monk for CSM9 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=326497 you want content in highsec? vote Monk

Marsha Mallow
#25 - 2014-06-13 13:07:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsha Mallow
Aoife Fraoch wrote:
Maybe the OP just wants something like faction war, but it would be empire militias that pay out LP for kills against sov holding corps made in low or null sec? There you go, some kind of arms length attempts to use capsuliers against those who might be a little problematic for empire's.

I'm pretty sure the OP wants to play a 'civilised' version of war in a wargame. Where people ask permission before they fight, do so 'honourably' and say thank you afterwards (and there's no looting, but millions of rules of conduct) *Snore*

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2014-06-13 13:35:23 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:

FAI: Why can't I bribe CONCORD so it preemtively strikes well known gankers?

Because those same players will just have Concord come and kill you back. Highsec would descend (or ascend depending on your perspective) into Concord running around ganking everyone.

Crap game design.

I bird told me that, once upon a time, the only way to get a bounty in EVE was to kill someone. It looks as if CCP managed to tell who can do what on who, based on their previous interactions.

I am very creative by nature and it took me about 5 to 10 minutes to figure the SOSIL (Shoot On Sight Interdiction License).

A player can activate a SOSIL on any player who shot at him while his safety was on green and system security above 0.5, with the exception of duels. When targeted by a SOSIL, the player will be shot on sight by randomly spawned NPCs if he loads into grid a ship equipped with any offensive module or combat drones.

SOSIL have a cost, and they're active until NPCs have destroyed enough properties of the target. This mechanism works as a bounty claimable by NPCs on armed ships belonging to the target.

A basic SOSIL would cost 15 million ISK, but larger SOSIL could be acquired. I am undecided on whether the size of a SOSIL bounty should be limited by the loss from the actual engagement or just be free for all.

Of course, there would be a counter-SOSIL; a ganker targetted by a SOSIL could just bribe the NPCs by paying 5x the size of the SOSIL. Anyway, a fraction of the bribe would be shared with the issuer player at a ratio of 5% of the bribe per level, so at max level, the issuer would earn a small profit from the bribe.

And here you have it, 10 minutes worth of my time and I figured a tool to turn ganking into a slightly hazardous activity for gankers.

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Herbinator d'Arcadie
Arkadian Knight
#27 - 2014-06-13 13:42:05 UTC
... I wonder how many people will think like me and ask: where are the Empyreans? What if I want to prevent the nullsec capsuleers from further plaguing the universe with their guys-who-play-videogames attitude? Where is the sandbox if CCP one-sidedly decides that we all want to be psychopathic pricks and the Empires, who merely outnumber capsuleers by a million to one, are hapless to do **** about it as we Empire capsuleers are denied tools and mechanics?

Wow, great post!

You made the post of someone who loves Eve's "beautifully-crafted, intelligently-designed sci-fi." And you asked the question of why it isn't in the game? Answer, I don't know! The sci-fi is absolutely, positively Eve's best marketing point. In my opinion, Eve's best chance for survival.

The poo-poo'rs here are quite jadded in their POVs. The Newer Player Experience suffers greatly for this. I agree with you, totally. I think most (90%) newer players do too.

I'm with you.

"Block" pigs. Refuse to fly with them.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#28 - 2014-06-13 13:46:05 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:

Because those same players will just have Concord come and kill you back. Highsec would descend (or ascend depending on your perspective) into Concord running around ganking everyone.

Crap game design.

I bird told me that, once upon a time, the only way to get a bounty in EVE was to kill someone. It looks as if CCP managed to tell who can do what on who, based on their previous interactions.

I am very creative by nature and it took me about 5 to 10 minutes to figure the SOSIL (Shoot On Sight Interdiction License).

A player can activate a SOSIL on any player who shot at him while his safety was on green and system security above 0.5, with the exception of duels. When targeted by a SOSIL, the player will be shot on sight by randomly spawned NPCs if he loads into grid a ship equipped with any offensive module or combat drones.

SOSIL have a cost, and they're active until NPCs have destroyed enough properties of the target. This mechanism works as a bounty claimable by NPCs on armed ships belonging to the target.

A basic SOSIL would cost 15 million ISK, but larger SOSIL could be acquired. I am undecided on whether the size of a SOSIL bounty should be limited by the loss from the actual engagement or just be free for all.

Of course, there would be a counter-SOSIL; a ganker targetted by a SOSIL could just bribe the NPCs by paying 5x the size of the SOSIL. Anyway, a fraction of the bribe would be shared with the issuer player at a ratio of 5% of the bribe per level, so at max level, the issuer would earn a small profit from the bribe.

And here you have it, 10 minutes worth of my time and I figured a tool to turn ganking into a slightly hazardous activity for gankers.

10 minutes worth of your time to come up with an idea. 10 milliseconds for everyone else to figure out it's a horribly bad idea from someone who probably got ganked (unlike most of the rest of us who have never been ganked because we play EVE with our eyes actually open lol).
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#29 - 2014-06-13 14:01:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless

Ganking permit

Go for it

You can call your new organisation "The Old School Of High Sec"

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#30 - 2014-06-13 15:22:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Galen Darksmith

Lorewise? CONCORD has its regulations, they don't change easy, and getting directly involved in capsuleer wars is completely insane.

Game design perspective? EVE is designed around player-to-player interaction, not NPC-to-Player. You can already bribe CONCORD to look the other way while you blow up gankers, or hire mercenaries to bribe CONCORD while THEY blow up the gankers. But no, the game will not play itself for you. Sorry.

According to the current EVE mechanics, as an outlaw, it makes no sense that the State protects me, so I must protect myself; but in real life and not EVE, a truly powerful outlaw will just "persuade" the State to protect him. Why risk your own ships when commoners/NPCs are ready to die for you?

Except for the fact that you're not the only powerful outlaw out there, and in fact you're probably a pretty weak one on that whole scale, so it's much more damaging to set a dangerous precedent then it is to mildly irritate you.

Also, some capsuleers may have a heart and think of all the children... some may love and appreciate civilization better than the false and overly pandered "virtues" of "primitive life", aka barbarism.

The empires don't give a **** what you think. In the end you're playing along because you want to, and can quit working with them with virtually no consequence at any point. They're happy enough to take you into a militia and point your guns at other capsuleers to keep them (and you) distracted, but that's about the extent of it.

It used to be that you couldn't have a bounty put on you unless you had negative security status. So, you could kill someone, and still be immune from bounties if you still had positive sec status. You could also be a miner who accidentally sicced drones on another miner instead of belt rats and suddenly be open to bounties with your -0.01 sec status. There's a reason they changed the system away from that.

Wait, so you can't use the module until someone shoots at you, right?

Congrats. Gankers switch to Tornadoes and Thrashers and one-volley you (actually quite common already). Thirty seconds of MY time, and your little waste of coding time is circumvented.

No matter what little features or layers of protection you beg CCP for, the gankers will always circumvent it at best, and more than likely turn it against you. This is because they are smart, engaged, and actively solving problems while you are lazy, entitled, and more interested in having someone else do things for you.

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Jes Badwin
#31 - 2014-06-13 15:29:49 UTC
Ay Eff Kay is bawd for your health mon

Take it easy but not too easy

Get your permit and save a life, mon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSl0w5Cqj-Y&feature=kp

[i]Roam between a dancing in a in a nation-a You never know say daddy me Jes me are the Boom Shakata Me never lay-a down flat in that one cardboard box Where me born in on a one Tornado so[/i]

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#32 - 2014-06-13 16:05:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
What if I want to prevent the nullsec capsuleers from further plaguing the universe with their guys-who-play-videogames attitude?
Nothing is stopping you from attempting to do so, all you need to do is grab your guns and get on with it. Nobody is going to do it for you.

Quote:
Where is the sandbox if CCP one-sidedly decides that we all want to be psychopathic pricks
I've never seen CCP direct people down that path, in fact CCP does the exact opposite. Take a look at the NPE and show us where it encourages people to be psychopathic pricks.

Quote:
and the Empires, who merely outnumber capsuleers by a million to one, are hapless to do **** about it
The empires are made up of homo sapiens, capsuleers are homo superioris by virtue of being basically immortal and seriously augmented. Hence the empires are pretty helpless when it comes to regulating capsuleers, and have to rely on Concord to barely keep us in check.

Quote:
as we Empire capsuleers are denied tools and mechanics?
You have access to exactly the same tools as any other player, it's not our fault if you're too damn lazy or dumb to use them.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Jade Blackwind
#33 - 2014-06-13 16:09:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
Want to stop those pesky 0.0 capsuleers? Infiltrate the biggest 0.0 alliance, make your way to the top of the food chain, get director access, trash everything in the hangars, take all ISK, then press the "disband" button.

Unfortunately, EVE is not the most immersive Sci-fi game around, and it will never be. Increasing the immersion factor in EVE, especially anything that is NPC related, will go against the current trend in its development and make a significant portion of the playerbase go apeshit. It's a religious thing for them, sort of.

So, no, not happening. If anything, you'll see highsec and small corps nerfed progressively further and the role of the bigger player organizations increased even more over the next few years.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#34 - 2014-06-13 16:32:10 UTC
Jade Blackwind wrote:

Unfortunately, EVE is not the most immersive Sci-fi game around

Its DEFINATELY opposite day for you

EvE is the ONLY true mmoRPG out there

I dont know how you can get that the one game that allows you do to literally anything you can think of is not immersive

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#35 - 2014-06-13 21:11:59 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jade Blackwind wrote:
Its DEFINATELY opposite day for you EvE is the ONLY true mmoRPG out there I dont know how you can get that the one game that allows you do to literally anything you can think of is not immersive
Its hard not to feel immersed in a fluid universe space submarine game!

Eve Online: I was there!*

*Results may vary.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2014-06-13 22:16:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Matilda Cecilia Fock
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jade Blackwind wrote:

I dont know how you can get that the one game that allows you do to literally anything you can think of is not immersive

Anything I can think of? Like, hire relentless NPC to haunt my enemies each time they load into grid with an armed ship? Lol

This thread started with an examination of come back offers for veteran and young players, and how, despite they being targetted at different demographics, they esentially sell the same experience: being a prick as New Eden civilization crumbles.

I hinted at thow I would like to defend civilization, and also at how the crumbling of civilization can be turned against those causing it.

It's all theory crafting, of course. CCP has already set its course and they will swim or drown by it... but as I said elsewhere, once the future is dead, all that's left to do is dreaming of the past and how different could be everything.Bear

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Jade Blackwind
#37 - 2014-06-13 23:52:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
being a prick as New Eden civilization crumbles.

I hinted at thow I would like to defend civilization, and also at how the crumbling of civilization can be turned against those causing it.
When civilization crumbles, it is too late to be a Caesar. Syagrius, Julius Nepos or the obscure historical figure who gave rise to the legend of King Arthur - your pick. It'll all end the same anyway... Just as the PIE-controlled Providence in EVE did. Some NBSI Saxon, Hun or Slav will drive your subjects before him, and there'll be slaughter of men, wailing of women and a long dark age to come.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#38 - 2014-06-14 00:52:59 UTC
Anything I can think of? Like, hire relentless NPC to haunt my enemies each time they load into grid with an armed ship? Lol
Why would you pay an NPC force to do this when there's these players called mercenaries? You pay them and they proceed to hunt down your enemies and shoot them in the face.

Or do you want an invincible omnipotent NPC force to do all the work because you have no idea how a sandbox actually works?

We don't rely on CCP to provide our content, they provide tools and then let other players do that for us.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-06-14 04:36:43 UTC

I work for Space Julius Caesar. You probably know him better as The Mitanni. I know him best at the guy who spelled his weird name a strange way and I can never remember how to spell it. James 315, now there is a guy who knows how to spell a common name.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2014-06-14 04:39:22 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jade Blackwind wrote:

NPCs suck in this game. They die by the millions every day. You can hire capsuleers to do what you suggest though. How can that not be impressive? Most of the capsuleers I know can even pass a Turing test. Not the miners. But the ones you could hire to "haunt" your enemies.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Previous page123Next page