These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CODE's code?

Author
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#61 - 2014-06-11 16:23:03 UTC
YariLei wrote:
Ganking for profit has always been a part of Eve and I endorse it; you should never fly what you can't afford to lose. I learned it the hard way and that's fine. It's Eve so I got what I deserved. However, I received a letter saying why CODE picks their targets and there's a point I'd like to get an honest answer to from CODE, if you may? The letter claims autopiloting is an AFK activity and therefore botting; hence bannable by their code of conduct. I'm simply wondering, by this reasoning, is all AFK activity considered botting?

When you sell something in local market, you put it up and leave it there. Likewise, Buy Orders exist until they're fulfilled, requiring little input from you as a player, other than occasionally fixing the price. By not directly selling to open Buy Orders but putting something up as a Sales Order, you're relying on game mechanics to do the sale for you. Just like autopiloting would do when you click the button in Eve client.

If a pilot purchases a Catalyst from a sell order from local market, wouldn't that be seen as endorcing AFK activity? Where would you draw a line?

Therefore, wouldn't it be easier to just come out straight, "honest-to-god" gankers, since the "ban-all-AFK-activity" approach seems -to me- a little questionable?

The "code" is just mildly weird RP-ing to go alongside petty ganking. It can safely be ignored, interact with these people as you wish. Wave at them in local, or shake your fist in anger.
John E Normus
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#62 - 2014-06-11 21:21:08 UTC
Sometimes when a player comes back to his keyboard and finds out he's been ganked and podded that player will start raging. Good RP in these situations will help cool the mood in local. We just want everyone to calm down, reflect on the lesson that they've just been taught, and give us the isk they owe us. It's an incredibly simple philosophy.

We are here to make highsec a better place people! If that means I have to RP to get through to a rage-monster and be judged as "uncool" or "weird" by forum alts, I will.

Between Ignorance and Wisdom

loyalanon
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#63 - 2014-06-12 09:25:20 UTC
Subject 4927 wrote:
loyalanon wrote:
Subject 4927 wrote:
loyalanon wrote:
Subject 4927 wrote:
Honestly, the core idea of the CODE is the only reason I can bare them.

Poster boys like loyal and some of the others are killing the ganker image. I know we're all suppose to defend anybody who does what we do, but the CODE is just bad after you move past the core goal, which is something I support. I do it all, I gank, Awox, Spai, WD, and everything else that the masses hate. I try to repair the damaged image that some of those bros have broken. I ventured into their channel to talk up a bit, loyal can't seem to take a joke and kicked me rather quickly. I compare the hierarchy of CODE to most buttmad carebears who are subjected to my services.


I mean... uhh yea you're wrong. code4lyfe


Sorry, who are you?


Not a poster boy.


I didn't think you were anyone important. I love being right.





Can't really argue with RP folk. I applaud the CODE for taking the bait.


crying on the forums. good "RP"
Oujanika Bollokov
Doomheim
#64 - 2014-06-12 11:13:26 UTC
Subject 4927 wrote:
Honestly, the core idea of the CODE is the only reason I can bare them.

Poster boys like loyal and some of the others are killing the ganker image. I know we're all suppose to defend anybody who does what we do, but the CODE is just bad after you move past the core goal, which is something I support. I do it all, I gank, Awox, Spai, WD, and everything else that the masses hate. I try to repair the damaged image that some of those bros have broken. I ventured into their channel to talk up a bit, loyal can't seem to take a joke and kicked me rather quickly. I compare the hierarchy of CODE to most buttmad carebears who are subjected to my services.


I mean... uhh yea you're wrong. code4lyfe




I too love the code, but sadly Loyal, 412 et al really aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

What code needs are poster boys with a modicum of intelligence. It could be so much more with some decent leadership.
Asia Leigh
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#65 - 2014-06-12 14:56:46 UTC
People still use auto-pilot?

The way I look at it is this... It takes almost twice as long to auto-pilot a freighter 20 jumps, then to go gate to gate manually. Therefore won't you make more isk, by being able to make more runs doing it manually then auto-piloting? Also because it is much 'safer' to fly manually then to auto-pilot you wont be losing as many ships reducing your overhead.

So in this case it is costing you alot more isk to operate your trade runs doing things the lazy way.
Apply the damn rules equally >.>
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#66 - 2014-06-12 16:10:10 UTC
people have actually been killed because of their actions in a video game, all it takes is one crazy with enough know how.

and I honestly find that one of the scariest things and is probably why this james character is in fact hiding. someone joked about the death threats, that is NOT cool.

like imagine if a random 1 day alt messages you with your real name, family members and address and a death threat... holy **** im scaring myself here. id change my name and move to another country ffs.

ganking someone is all fine and dandy but the helplessness people feel when being singled out, fed bs and then extorted is what I think makes code different. I have not seen anything else in eve generate nearly as much rage in people (just reading on the forums).

what would suck a lot is if heavens forbid the worst did happen is it would irrevocably harm the game itself as well and I guess thats what confuses me the most is ccps endorsement of this.

I'll just pray it never comes to that 0.o

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#67 - 2014-06-12 17:10:42 UTC
Haedonism Bot wrote:
I've never heard anyone say that afk mining was botting. Unless you can cite your source, I think you are just another butthurt carebear trying to put words in our mouths. Afk mining is afk mining. Botting is botting. Permitless mining is permitless mining. Autopiloting is autopiloting. Nobody is saying that all these things are botting, just that they are all violations of the Code. If you are curious what is and isn't permitted in high sec, read it for yourself.

http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html

And yes, some people get too serious about it. I have alts who have been kicked from the minerbumping channel for no reason I can fathom, but whatever.

It says it right in Jim 315's Code thingy. "AFK mining leads to botting." It's one of the fundamental non sequiturs tenets of the New Order faith.
YariLei
The Asteroid is Depleted
#68 - 2014-06-12 17:19:59 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
There is an article on this where our Savior answers OPs question:

http://www.minerbumping.com/2012/08/what-about-afk-cloaking.html


Thank you for this! It was an interesting read and I do get the point where having a computer do something for you would be in some people's eyes as unfair. There has been plenty of good responses, but what I'm specifically wondering about are these kills here:

https://zkillboard.com/kill/39459733/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/39467228/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/39468028/

I finally got a copy of that "manifesto mail", which is sent to these gank victims, and it reads:

According to the CODE. alliance killboard, your ship(s) and/or pod(s) were recently destroyed by our gankers. You may take comfort in the fact that you were not the target of a random act of violence. In fact, you were carefully selected for destruction because you were caught "botting", engaging in automated play such as AFK mining or autopiloting, or some other act of bot-aspirancy.

Please be aware that your actions or inactions were a violation of the New Halaima Code of Conduct, the set of rules by which the New Order governs highsec. Everyone in highsec must obey or risk destruction of their ships and pods.

You may download your very own copy of the Code at the New Order's official website: www.MinerBumping.com


I'm simply wondering why waste a perfectly good destroyer to kill a ship that has no cargo, for such a cause as having people engage autopilot, which is a game function.

Now, one scenario could be that the ganker doesn't have a cargo scanner equipped and is shooting at random, hoping to hit jackpot, but don't professional gankers work in teams, with scanners calling targets while the others gank? Shooting autopiloting empty shuttles seems such a waste...
John E Normus
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#69 - 2014-06-12 18:11:54 UTC
Pro gankers do indeed gank for profit. We gank because our GCC is up.

Between Ignorance and Wisdom

Barbara Nichole
Cryogenic Consultancy
#70 - 2014-06-12 18:11:54 UTC
Quote:
I'm simply wondering, by this reasoning, is all AFK activity considered botting?
No, CODE can claim whatever they want but that dosn't make it so. Botting is the use of third party software to play the game for you..

  - remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Azov Rassau
The Hornets Cartel
Deep Space Alliance
#71 - 2014-06-12 18:59:50 UTC
YariLei wrote:
Shooting autopiloting empty shuttles seems such a waste...

I have done enough observations in the pirate-infested waters of the Amarr <-> Jita line to say that it's not really a waste.

1) They gank the Autopilot (most likely afk) shuttles simply for teaching those "AFK beings" (not 'players', since they don't play the game) a lesson (about the risks of High Security space), which is often a good thing.

2) Greed isn't the only reason to gank in new eden. if the player has fun while shooting autopilot shuttles all day, "having fun" is also a very good reason and therefore it's not a waste.

[Asimov Mode On] 3) Our psychology department in the University of Obelisk, after studying the CODE., confirms that the minerbumping.com crowd is highly brain-washed motivated by their Code. [/Asimov Mode Off]

Be the change you want to see in Highsec.

Anti-Ganking Fun: www.gankerjamming.com

Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2014-06-12 20:08:18 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
OP - I've been trying to understand the deep immersion role player angle since I've started playing. I don't think I'll ever get it.

It's harmless until they start believing their made up play rules. It's hard to tell with the code guys. Most of them are deep immersion role players. I think most of them just enjoy the pretend space police thing. I don't think more that half actually believe in it. It's one of those things where you'll never be able to tell the role players for the true believers.

Big picture - they don't really matter. There are far more serious space ships issues than a bunch of empire role players in catalysts. If they really bother you - just leave empire - they won't come after you. Jump out of empire and watch their little role player faces get smashed up against the low sec window as they watch you pilot away into dangerous places they fear to go.


Not everyone can be special little wizards ... whether you're with .CODE or an Inquisitor of Kill-It-Forward or even a w-spacer ... at the end of the day if you're not having fun what's the point?

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#73 - 2014-06-12 21:22:48 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:
I've never heard anyone say that afk mining was botting. Unless you can cite your source, I think you are just another butthurt carebear trying to put words in our mouths. Afk mining is afk mining. Botting is botting. Permitless mining is permitless mining. Autopiloting is autopiloting. Nobody is saying that all these things are botting, just that they are all violations of the Code. If you are curious what is and isn't permitted in high sec, read it for yourself.

http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html

And yes, some people get too serious about it. I have alts who have been kicked from the minerbumping channel for no reason I can fathom, but whatever.

It says it right in Jim 315's Code thingy. "AFK mining leads to botting." It's one of the fundamental non sequiturs tenets of the New Order faith.

Did you know that the terms "AFK" and "Botting" only appear twice in the code? Neither are in that sentence though.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

loyalanon
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#74 - 2014-06-13 01:19:53 UTC
Oujanika Bollokov wrote:
Subject 4927 wrote:
Honestly, the core idea of the CODE is the only reason I can bare them.

Poster boys like loyal and some of the others are killing the ganker image. I know we're all suppose to defend anybody who does what we do, but the CODE is just bad after you move past the core goal, which is something I support. I do it all, I gank, Awox, Spai, WD, and everything else that the masses hate. I try to repair the damaged image that some of those bros have broken. I ventured into their channel to talk up a bit, loyal can't seem to take a joke and kicked me rather quickly. I compare the hierarchy of CODE to most buttmad carebears who are subjected to my services.


I mean... uhh yea you're wrong. code4lyfe




I too love the code, but sadly Loyal, 412 et al really aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

What code needs are poster boys with a modicum of intelligence. It could be so much more with some decent leadership.


yawn more tears.
412nv Yaken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#75 - 2014-06-13 01:40:47 UTC
Oujanika Bollokov wrote:

I too love the code, but sadly Loyal, 412 et al really aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

What code needs are poster boys with a modicum of intelligence. It could be so much more with some decent leadership.


I feel sorry for people that feel the need to cry on the forums about how they could do things so much better. I offer a response to the personal attack with the following:

1. Post with your main if you are going to call people out on the forums.
2. The Conference Elite has taken CODE. to the next level, along with input of various outside members and internal corps attempting to step up their game and we will continue to do so moving forward. So our "leadership" is proven to be a success.

However I for one will enjoy being at the forefront of this movement along with Loyal, whilst you sit on the outside looking in, crying on the forums about how we are doing such a bad job.




A True Champion of High Security Space

Subject 4927
AwoxxowA
Hell Dawn
#76 - 2014-06-13 02:31:35 UTC
loyalanon wrote:

crying on the forums. good "RP"


You should resign so I can take your spot within then CODE hierarchy. I would do a much better job.

http://subjectandfriends.wordpress.com

loyalanon
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#77 - 2014-06-13 04:08:17 UTC
Subject 4927 wrote:
loyalanon wrote:

crying on the forums. good "RP"


You should resign so I can take your spot within then CODE hierarchy. I would do a much better job.


you should stop crying on the forums. makes you look needy.
Subject 4927
AwoxxowA
Hell Dawn
#78 - 2014-06-13 15:43:42 UTC
loyalanon wrote:
Subject 4927 wrote:
loyalanon wrote:

crying on the forums. good "RP"


You should resign so I can take your spot within then CODE hierarchy. I would do a much better job.


you should stop crying on the forums. makes you look needy.


It's like talking to a 3 year old.


Okay you're right, now go play with your toys. Daddy will comeback later to check up on you.

http://subjectandfriends.wordpress.com

Vhelnik Cojoin
Pandemic Horde High Sec Division
#79 - 2014-06-13 19:02:07 UTC
Considering the reactions of some of the New Order gank victims, and the fail fits seen on some of the ships of same, I'd have to say the New Order actually do perform a valuable service for the EVE community. I say that as a player, who these days mostly spend his time doing various PvE activities, mining in HiSec included.

However, I also find it hard to wholeheartedly support their mission, through words, actions or contributions, due to the mixed messages occasionally coming from that front. They could really do with straightening their message presented to the rest of EVE.

For instance 'AFK mining' in HiSec is not a thing, and hasn't been for quite a while. This is even more true after the launch of Kronos a few days ago. Given the small size of HiSec asteroids, and the cycle time of mining lasers, you cannot really turn the back to your client for more than a few moments at best. If the mining lasers are burning, then the pilot does tinker with the client at very regular intervals. Mining is by now no more an AFK activity than running an L4 sec mission is. Which is to say 'not very'. Anybody, who says differently, hasn't been in a mining fleet recently. It is quite obvious when somebody actually goes AFK for a bio or whatever, as their ship(s) rather quickly ... stops mining! Shocked

If a pilot doesn't respond to hails in local while mining, or when somebody else warps on grid, then he could be either:

*) Ignorant of the problems with neutrals near his mining barge.
*) Possibly not a native English speaker. My little group of mining friends have tested this. Non-native English speakers may not react to hails in English from me, yet they will if we can figure out what their language of choice is (check player and corp bio) and have someone able to speak it.
*) Possibly multi-boxing and currently Alt-Tabbed. Have known a fair share of low- or nullsec pilots, who mine in HiSec for a bit of ISK on the side, while simultaneously being in a PvP fleet.
*) Actually using illegal botting software.

Just a thought.

Have you Communicated with your fellow capsuleers today? It is good for the EvE-oconomy and o-kay for you.

Wrecktum Yourday
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#80 - 2014-06-13 19:25:57 UTC
The Order is doing gods work.