These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Simple way to make Captain's Quarters Useful

First post
Author
Aliath Sunstrike
#1 - 2014-06-10 04:30:31 UTC
Hopefully this has not been thought of yet because it seems like a VERY easy thing to implement and thus should have been done already.

My corpies and I were joking about the usefulness of the CQ tonight while we were getting camped in station. One of the guys mentioned, "you would think in the future there would be a damn port hole on the station to look out." Good point. It is thousands of years in the future and we can't tell or look outside a station through a window?

It got me thinking and thus why I propose here: Why doesn't CCP do JUST that?

The idea is that in order to see outside the station, you have to enter the CQ - thus actually adding functionality and reason for the CQ and also adding a neat (should be realistic beyond belief) edge to the game to counter campers versus the not so fair undock and redock quick method. It is a good counterbalance to station camping and not 110% skewed towards the defender (the guy hiding in the station) either due to cloaks and lag (from the time it takes you to look to undock in your pod).

Simple to implement as using this CQ tool would just look like what you would see outside the station in a ship but say with a fixed perspective camera from on top the station. You chose the tool and you are absorbed into the outside view. When done, the CQ reloads and you chose to undock or stay in.

I can't think of a flaw CSM - and I hope you read this idea and at least respond.

Otherwise - Flame on forum warriors.

/Aliath

Continuous player since 2007.

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#2 - 2014-06-10 08:08:14 UTC
Its been asked for many many times before.

I really wouldn't hold your breath for this one.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Aliath Sunstrike
#3 - 2014-06-10 14:13:15 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Its been asked for many many times before.

I really wouldn't hold your breath for this one.

Ah...figures. Thanks. Here is to hoping.

Ray Kyonhe
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-06-13 07:35:04 UTC
Yes, I'm actually created similar topic myself in the past Smile
I'll drag their related snippet from my outlines of WiS hypothetical features, also:
Quote:
Some security monitor in a lobby, showing general security statistics in nearby systems, snippets of warnings from some regional security channels and some outdoor camera's feedback from the station undock area, which in times of undock camps would gather around itself those who got locked in here.

Survey/voting system inbuilt to the game client: link_Reforming corp and taxation system: link_New PvE content (reward collective gameplay): link

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-06-13 10:47:05 UTC
WiS is actually very useful. It stops anything else from actually being worse than it & I have no problem with it staying that way.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#6 - 2014-06-13 13:04:35 UTC
any of these 'wis features' could be 'hangar features' without wasting time and energy on space dolls, even gambling
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#7 - 2014-06-13 14:34:47 UTC
The most useful way to make the CQ useful is to remove that ~4GB of bloat from the client unless / until they actually follow through with walking in stations.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-06-13 17:59:12 UTC
It has been asked for, along with a channel that shows in CQ that would be from a station camera.

Though I could just see some joker parking in front of said imaginary camera.

Yeah, It would be nice, though

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#9 - 2014-06-15 03:53:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Bienator II
this would be cool for sure, esp if you could switch between multiple cameras (e.g station sentries, undock etc). But i could imagine that it is more coding work as we might think.

However if you mean that you would see a stream of the camera on your CQ screen (or any kind of window) i think this is very unlikely. Since you would have to run both engines at the same time, the spaceship one and the CQ one. Seing the exterior fullscreen would be much simpler to implement from the graphics standpoint at least.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Ray Kyonhe
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-07-01 14:39:51 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
any of these 'wis features' could be 'hangar features' without wasting time and energy on space dolls, even gambling

WiS was created to serve as a new socializing platform, the place making game world more believable, enhancing submergence to the imagenary universe, and making some sense out of those fancy clothes and probably some other similar fancy stuff that could be added in the future. The place different from mundane "spaceships in space" experience, while still tied to the game world tightly - where you can change scenery and relax together with your friends, while doing some meaningfull and fun stuff, that is not spaceships, without resorting to third party tools, like other games, seedy poker rooms of unknown origin etc. The place where you can show up in your new unique, expensive fancy dress. But all these are worth nothing if there are no audience. Your unique and expensive fancy suite worth almost nothing if no one have opportunity to see it aside from rare occasion he clicked for some reason on your character's picture. WiS made a mistake trying to force players to attend this new space. I think that creating meaningfull and fun content, integrated into the game world can be a key to raise it's popularity in natural way. Thats why gambling and similar feature should be accessed only from within this space. We can simplify it to some degree, redesign it to be like some virtual space, accessible instantly anytime from anywhere, with ability to instantly teleport between rooms or tables and such. But it still should require to be there in form of a human being.

Those things are definetly not the most important on the to-do list, but they should have some time contributed to them too, after core gameplay's problems eventually will be sorted out.

Survey/voting system inbuilt to the game client: link_Reforming corp and taxation system: link_New PvE content (reward collective gameplay): link

Nathaniel Raynaud
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-07-02 21:29:49 UTC
Ray Kyonhe wrote:
[snipped for length]
Those things are definetly not the most important on the to-do list, but they should have some time contributed to them too, after core gameplay's problems eventually will be sorted out.

the main problem with the push for more WiS features is that they're likely to eat up development time that could be used to implement other features more relevant to the game's focal features. the existence of character portraits seems like enough of a justification for spending money on fancy clothing, and the substantial amount of people who are willing to spend lots of time building their perfect Space Waifu/Husbando is another. adding new features in order to justify integrating "second life in space" into a game whose aesthetic focuses are completely different seems kind of unnecessary when they could be built into pre-existing features.
Aliath Sunstrike
#12 - 2014-07-23 15:50:09 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
this would be cool for sure, esp if you could switch between multiple cameras (e.g station sentries, undock etc). But i could imagine that it is more coding work as we might think.

However if you mean that you would see a stream of the camera on your CQ screen (or any kind of window) i think this is very unlikely. Since you would have to run both engines at the same time, the spaceship one and the CQ one. Seing the exterior fullscreen would be much simpler to implement from the graphics standpoint at least.

This was exactly my thought....call it a window, but basically just have it load the exterior of the station with the station being the ship view. Unmovable, but at least a view of outside. No one could then "block the camera" haha, and it gets people using WIS for when it is EVENTUALLY? Useful.

Right now, as someone pointed out, it is 4GB of bloat on my computer and the client.

Thank you for all the constructive posts and keeping this thread alive.

Dark Drifter
Sardaukar Merc Guild
General Tso's Alliance
#13 - 2014-07-24 16:17:32 UTC
simple peace of graphic and RP law:

graphic: look at where the hanger is in a station. there are 1000s om meaters between your ship hanger and the outer hull of a station. there is no way that your tiny assigned quaters that over look your hanger space are able in any way to extend to the outer hull of any given station.

Law: the outer portions of a station are reserved for factional and corperate dignitaries and comercial/social areas of the structure. (just like the upper ring of DS9) .

what i would like to see added to CQ:

a corperate office 'instance' for corperate/alliance meating (with limited acces to reduce load and lag in these instances)

ability to walk from your hanger to your cargo bay and see all that precious loot you have gathered in storage containers

ability to enter an aminitys room that gives acces to NPCs that will do various station tasks:

repair
scintific agent
mission agent
trader
customs officer
FW rep
and so on
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#14 - 2014-07-25 12:00:55 UTC
No. Just remove WiS from the client, i could use the free HDD space.

The Tears Must Flow

eug3nio Anninen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-08-01 11:27:38 UTC
Aliath Sunstrike wrote:
Hopefully this has not been thought of yet because it seems like a VERY easy thing to implement and thus should have been done already.

My corpies and I were joking about the usefulness of the CQ tonight while we were getting camped in station. One of the guys mentioned, "you would think in the future there would be a damn port hole on the station to look out." Good point. It is thousands of years in the future and we can't tell or look outside a station through a window?

It got me thinking and thus why I propose here: Why doesn't CCP do JUST that?

The idea is that in order to see outside the station, you have to enter the CQ - thus actually adding functionality and reason for the CQ and also adding a neat (should be realistic beyond belief) edge to the game to counter campers versus the not so fair undock and redock quick method. It is a good counterbalance to station camping and not 110% skewed towards the defender (the guy hiding in the station) either due to cloaks and lag (from the time it takes you to look to undock in your pod).

Simple to implement as using this CQ tool would just look like what you would see outside the station in a ship but say with a fixed perspective camera from on top the station. You chose the tool and you are absorbed into the outside view. When done, the CQ reloads and you chose to undock or stay in.

I can't think of a flaw CSM - and I hope you read this idea and at least respond.

Otherwise - Flame on forum warriors.

/Aliath

totally agree

e**ug3n[u]i**o[/u]

Princess Bride
Corripe Cervisiam Trade Consortium
#16 - 2014-08-01 13:32:30 UTC
I like this idea at first glance.

However, would your idea encourage people to undock and actually play? Or does it remove the need to undock to find out what is near the station? I'm not sure features that remove the need to undock are good for the game.

http://eveprincessbride.wordpress.com/