These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Full API to join Corps

First post First post
Author
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#61 - 2014-06-08 20:58:33 UTC
Personally i'd never join a corp demanding a full api, in fact i'd think a looong time about a corp wanting a limited one as well.

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#62 - 2014-06-08 21:53:34 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:
Personally i'd never join a corp demanding a full api, in fact i'd think a looong time about a corp wanting a limited one as well.



So they should just take your word for it that you can fly the things you say you can, or that you have the SP etc you say you do?
Aracimia Wolfe
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#63 - 2014-06-08 21:59:25 UTC
Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not out to get them

Kill it with Fire!

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2014-06-08 22:09:04 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Full API seems a bit much unless they have a specific reason after checking killboards, eveboard, eve-gate, etc. Even then, they really should explain to you what their concerns are.

A partial API is normally enough.

As an observation though, I don't think many Corps really dedicate time to learning proper security.


That is until you teach them better recruitment processes via awoxing.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2014-06-08 22:09:44 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:
Personally i'd never join a corp demanding a full api, in fact i'd think a looong time about a corp wanting a limited one as well.


Funny, to a cretain extent I would say the EXACT opposite. Not wishing to be the victim of . . . .what is it the cool kids call it? a safari? . . . awoxer or corp hopping blue shooter I would be worried if things wer enot checked with due diligence.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Aracimia Wolfe
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#66 - 2014-06-08 22:13:52 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Drago Shouna wrote:
Personally i'd never join a corp demanding a full api, in fact i'd think a looong time about a corp wanting a limited one as well.


Funny, to a cretain extent I would say the EXACT opposite. Not wishing to be the victim of . . . .what is it the cool kids call it? a safari? . . . awoxer or corp hopping blue shooter I would be worried if things wer enot checked with due diligence.

m


For me partial API is fine, We live out in low and generally run in packs. Worse case scenario you get ho dropped. But I fully agree with due diligence. Theres taking a chance and theres taking the ****.

Kill it with Fire!

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#67 - 2014-06-08 22:20:55 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:


Funny, to a cretain extent I would say the EXACT opposite. Not wishing to be the victim of . . . .what is it the cool kids call it? a safari? . . . awoxer or corp hopping blue shooter I would be worried if things wer enot checked with due diligence.

m

Eve Kill should give that information normally however. Though directly checking their Kill API helps in case not a single victim has uploaded logs of any of the awox's. But.... That's a justifiable check. Not a 'we want to see everything about every character on the account'
Aracimia Wolfe
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#68 - 2014-06-08 22:24:34 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:


Funny, to a cretain extent I would say the EXACT opposite. Not wishing to be the victim of . . . .what is it the cool kids call it? a safari? . . . awoxer or corp hopping blue shooter I would be worried if things wer enot checked with due diligence.

m

Eve Kill should give that information normally however. Though directly checking their Kill API helps in case not a single victim has uploaded logs of any of the awox's. But.... That's a justifiable check. Not a 'we want to see everything about every character on the account'


Evekill for recent history, Profile for Corp History and Eveboard for SP layout would probably do. I think of a partial API kind of like bringing your CV to a job interview

Kill it with Fire!

Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#69 - 2014-06-08 22:57:36 UTC
Full API allows access to your market activities.

Nobody trading should ever give such information away to any corporation.

Unless you don't mind them cherry picking your profits.

If a corporation is too lazy to ask for exactly what they need and able to tell you why keep looking.

In the post custom API age no reason to use anything but custom.
Dex Lysia
Doomheim
#70 - 2014-06-09 06:35:16 UTC
Unfortunately it IS currently standard practice, but that is only because the majority of players are weak-willed idiots who just give in to whatever their worshipped overlords say without question. The overlords use it as a test of how controllable their new minions are likely to be so it is standard practice in the large alliances and now also the wannabe highsec alliances (LOL).
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#71 - 2014-06-09 08:14:43 UTC
It's not like you can't delete your API keys once you're cleared, though, only an extremely paranoid corp/alliance would routinely require and check if your full API is still the same especially in if the corp/alliance has a large member count and lot's of recruits.
Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#72 - 2014-06-09 12:23:52 UTC
Baneken wrote:
It's not like you can't delete your API keys once you're cleared, though, only an extremely paranoid corp/alliance would routinely require and check if your full API is still the same especially in if the corp/alliance has a large member count and lot's of recruits.



Or they leave your API's plugged into Evemon and it tells them who no longer has active API.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#73 - 2014-06-09 12:26:09 UTC
Dex Lysia wrote:
Unfortunately it IS currently standard practice, but that is only because the majority of players are weak-willed idiots who just give in to whatever their worshipped overlords say without question. The overlords use it as a test of how controllable their new minions are likely to be so it is standard practice in the large alliances and now also the wannabe highsec alliances (LOL).


Why shouldn't the weak-willed and small-minded be controlled by their betters?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Dominus Tempus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#74 - 2014-06-09 12:29:22 UTC
I can't give my full api for the reasons that corporations ask for it in the first place Twisted
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2014-06-09 12:32:49 UTC
I have yet to see anyone make a strong (any?) case in this thread for why Mail needs to be in a full API. As mentioned before, I don't have issues sharing everything else.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#76 - 2014-06-09 14:14:30 UTC
Dex Lysia wrote:
Unfortunately it IS currently standard practice, but that is only because the majority of players are weak-willed idiots who just give in to whatever their worshipped overlords say without question. The overlords use it as a test of how controllable their new minions are likely to be so it is standard practice in the large alliances and now also the wannabe highsec alliances (LOL).


TL;DR - grrrrr
Jinn Aideron
#77 - 2014-06-09 14:27:32 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
...

Trust exists under a mutual exchange of "if you hurt me, I/we can hurt you back just as much or more."

Lol. This is the kind of 'trust' as it was ubiquitous at the height of the Cold War! It's called Mutual Assured Destruction instead. Ask your marriage counselor about it.

Stealth deletes are bad.

Othran
Route One
#78 - 2014-06-09 14:30:37 UTC
I've been in corps/alliances where it was standard practice to demand a full API.

In each & every case I told them when I applied they weren't getting the full API, they could have a limited API which didn't include Evemail or contacts.

I simply said that IME if somebody could read your evemails then at some point they will. There WILL be someone in the corp/alliance sad enough to go do that just because they can.

Its not like you're going to be a spai & evemail from the spai account anyway Roll

Most corps probably will insist on an API which pulls your wallet transactions though - if you're bothered about someone seeing the specifics of how you make isk then make a trade alt.

tl;dr its not that big a deal IME to say you're not getting mail/contacts
Jinn Aideron
#79 - 2014-06-09 14:34:55 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
I have yet to see anyone make a strong (any?) case in this thread for why Mail needs to be in a full API. As mentioned before, I don't have issues sharing everything else.
Because they can ask for it. It's in the API CCP provides, so they ask it. If your payment details were in there, they'd ask that, too. As goes for sexual preferences and shoe size. And that's the whole case 'for' this.

It's for everyone to decide not to participate in this bullshit.

Stealth deletes are bad.

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#80 - 2014-06-09 14:37:40 UTC
Jinn Aideron wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
I have yet to see anyone make a strong (any?) case in this thread for why Mail needs to be in a full API. As mentioned before, I don't have issues sharing everything else.
Because they can ask for it. It's in the API CCP provides, so they ask it. If your payment details were in there, they'd ask that, too. As goes for sexual preferences and shoe size. And that's the whole case 'for' this.

It's for everyone to decide not to participate in this bullshit.


Exactly

If you dont like it, there's plenty of Corps willing to accept you without it

If your name is McCandless for example, you can join The Clan, we never ask for API.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann