These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Full API to join Corps

First post First post
Author
Diek Ran
Autonums
#41 - 2014-06-07 21:50:47 UTC
Adira Nictor wrote:
Giving your Full API is only a bad idea when you have something to hide. Thankfully it doesn't matter most of the time because the recruiters don't know what they are looking for, or even how to access the info.

The bad idea is to ask for it, because it won't help you protecting your corp.
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#42 - 2014-06-07 22:02:29 UTC
Don't join a corp that asks for your full API. Retain some of your dignity.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#43 - 2014-06-07 22:05:32 UTC
Victoria Sin wrote:

Yeah, be an NPC corp poster instead.

/golfclap

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Scarlett LaBlanc
Midnight Savran Industries
#44 - 2014-06-07 22:06:21 UTC
Lisa Gentilette wrote:
Standard reply from me, 'full api is ok if I get the full api of the CEO first'.

Guess how many times that went well. P

And your stil in an NPC corp, so I guess everyone has thought your idea stupid.....

When a "bad recruit" is allowed to join it is not a corporation that suffers, it's them members that are hurt. I would not join a corp that did not do a thorough background and API check, as that would leave ME exposed.

A full API is one piece of a careful process to catch the dumb, lazy and casual corp thieves and AWOXers. Almost nothing is effective against the smart, determined and careful ones.

I honestly don't see the worry about. Fretting that im going to see what your selling and cut in on your market? Thank you but I get buy just fine on my own market activities.

Don't want me reading that mail of you cyber-ing that cute avatar? I'm not intrested, she is a guy anyway if you didn't know....

I have no problems recruiting quality members for my organization. For those who want to keep thier cyber mails private, there are corporations out there for you.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2014-06-07 22:25:10 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Yup, thank that wonderful meta in the game where "be the villain" has spread everywhere, and no one can trust anyone.
In a game where spies, theft, and general asshattery is celebrated at such a high level, every smart corp has to protect themselves.

Trust exists under a mutual exchange of "if you hurt me, I/we can hurt you back just as much or more."

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Adira Nictor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2014-06-07 22:41:24 UTC
Diek Ran wrote:
Adira Nictor wrote:
Giving your Full API is only a bad idea when you have something to hide. Thankfully it doesn't matter most of the time because the recruiters don't know what they are looking for, or even how to access the info.

The bad idea is to ask for it, because it won't help you protecting your corp.

Tell that to my last 2 corps.
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#47 - 2014-06-07 23:18:18 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:

Yeah, be an NPC corp poster instead.

/golfclap

I'm not in an NPC corp. I wasn't asked for my API key for my actual corp. It wasn't needed.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#48 - 2014-06-08 01:31:13 UTC
I cant believe some people find it so hard to make up their own mind they have to lower themselves to asking in GD if they should

What a world we live in

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#49 - 2014-06-08 02:23:14 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
I cant believe some people find it so hard to make up their own mind they have to lower themselves to asking in GD if they should

What a world we live in

Certainly not empty quoting.

Big smileCoolPirate

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2014-06-08 02:26:16 UTC
Its certainly something that has been used since forever -- not fool-proof, but not empty either. Makes it where someone has to make another account to do what they do.

Not my style. More of a live-and-let-live guy, or that-guy-who-jams-your-targeting, market dude. lol
Spying? Not me.
Cloaky camping? I could endorse those people lol.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2014-06-08 02:36:54 UTC
I'm really amused by this trend of people saying "it doesn't work 100% of the time, therefore it doesn't work at all" in EVE.

I've seen it said about CONCORD too, e.g. "CONCORD doesn't prevent ganks/highsec is more dangerous than nullsec/if someone wants to shoot you they will".

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#52 - 2014-06-08 02:39:12 UTC
Give the full API... then screw them over when you've gained their trust after years of dedicated service. Twisted
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#53 - 2014-06-08 03:37:18 UTC
Requiring an API is the difference between potential spies simply using another character slot and paying for a separate account to spy on you. It may not keep out all spies but it keeps out those who don't wish to put much effort into it.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#54 - 2014-06-08 07:10:49 UTC
Conrad Lionhart wrote:
My primary concern is that giving Full API will give people information to exploit me or somehow make my life miserable.

If it is very unlikely to happen, then I don't mind giving it.

The API page did warn me about giving this information, so I am just wary by default.

You miss the point, they want your full API so you can't make their lives miserable. You want in on their fun, you need to do it on their terms.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#55 - 2014-06-08 07:27:53 UTC
knobber Jobbler wrote:
Conrad Lionhart wrote:
My primary concern is that giving Full API will give people information to exploit me or somehow make my life miserable.

The API page did warn me about giving this information, so I am just wary by default.

You miss the point, they want your full API so you can't make their lives miserable. You want in on their fun, you need to do it on their terms.

Actually your Full API can give them loads of information to exploit you if you have anything worth exploiting. Such as officer mods on a mission running ship they can then locator agent & gank using an alt of theirs in another corp who can claim they 'scanned you on the undock' or some other BS to hide how they got the information.

Trust is a two way street, not one way like the 'Full API is important' crowd would like to have you believe. If they want you to trust them with your secrets (i.e. API even partial) they should be trusting you back with some honesty.

Reading my mail is pointless, anyone but the most moronic spy will just use an out of game communication method. And the most Moronic spy will give themselves away anyway.
Assets of other characters on the same account, or in fact any details of the account is similarly pointless.
Skills, sure, you want to know I'm actually training for that corp doctrine you set, not a problem, provided you actually have corp doctrines & SRP's that's a fair one to ask.
Wallet, sure, you want to know if I'm lying about being broke, or if I'm telling the truth that I spent all my money during the last corp war and really do need to rat because I literally can't afford a new ship. But again, only relevant if there are actual corp deployments.

etc etc.
It's not hard to justify why you need the API for something specific if you actually do need it.
Ryuu Towryk
Perkone
Caldari State
#56 - 2014-06-08 18:05:29 UTC
knobber Jobbler wrote:
Conrad Lionhart wrote:

And I want their full api so I can trust they won't screw me over.
Trust is a two way street after all.
This is eve, you know, trust no one?
P
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#57 - 2014-06-08 18:52:31 UTC
The only thing a full API is going to reveal is the kind of baddie you don't need a Full API to uncover.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2014-06-08 20:16:34 UTC
Ryuu Towryk wrote:
knobber Jobbler wrote:
Conrad Lionhart wrote:

And I want their full api so I can trust they won't screw me over.
Trust is a two way street after all.
This is eve, you know, trust no one?
P

Corp recruiters generally don't screw you over. More than anything they want people in their corp and if they scammed or ganked people in the recruiting process then eventually people start to find out and they lose applicants. The exceptions to this rule being corps who don't recruit from the general EVE population, e.g. Goonwaffe.

Kaahles
Jion Keanturi
#59 - 2014-06-08 20:29:24 UTC
Sadly it's becoming more and more standard practice to ask for unlimited full access API. Soon you basically have 3 options:

a) submit to that utter and complete bullshit
b) play solo
c) move on to the next game

I personally decided quite a while ago for me it will be option C once that point arrives. And no you can't have my stuff I'll be giving it away to some random noob, who will probably never be able to join a corporation because of this since he obviously is a spy because why else would a 2 week old char have billions of ISK :P
Marsha Mallow
#60 - 2014-06-08 20:37:06 UTC
Kaahles wrote:
Sadly it's becoming more and more standard practice to ask for unlimited full access API. Soon you basically have 3 options:

a) submit to that utter and complete bullshit
b) play solo
c) move on to the next game

I personally decided quite a while ago for me it will be option C once that point arrives. And no you can't have my stuff I'll be giving it away to some random noob, who will probably never be able to join a corporation because of this since he obviously is a spy because why else would a 2 week old char have billions of ISK :P

d) start your own corp

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day