These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

草 <-- What the hell?

First post
Author
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#21 - 2014-06-07 19:22:14 UTC
Director Blackflame wrote:
Is it possible to use non english characters for a character name? Could be useful for wormhole characters in theif pods making it a hassle for people to look up a character online.

Or you could just rename your pod
stoicfaux
#22 - 2014-06-07 19:44:59 UTC
It means "don't waste your time trash talking to me in local."

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Burtzum
Det Som Engang Var
#23 - 2014-06-07 19:49:00 UTC
I had someone call me a skunk once. Or at least that's what google translate tells me гад means. That's kind of a weak insult if you ask me.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2014-06-07 20:00:29 UTC
Shad0wsFury wrote:
Perhaps he is offering you drugs?

Remember, kids.
If someone offers you drugs, take them and say thank you, because drugs are expensive.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#25 - 2014-06-07 20:26:14 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Is it possible to use non english characters for a character name?
Nope. Well actually, it is not allowed to use any other than Latin Script and numbers. As far as I know English characters do not exist as such.

From the EVE Online Naming Policy:
2. IN-GAME NAMES
a. Valid player character names:
3. May contain the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and single quotation. (Corporation names may also include minus and dot characters.)

However, when typing in chat or EvE-mail any character can be used as input. If others can read them is entirely another matter. In a case like this I would either reply with 'yeah, same to you pall' or with 'Ik begrijp er geen donder van dus je zal wel ongelijk hebben.'...Blink

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2014-06-07 20:30:07 UTC
T̡̻̣̓ͩͣ̑̈̎̑h̛̪̭̞͖̃́ͯ̅͊͘͝i̱̪̞̰̣͈̦̍ͪ̓̓ͮ̔͊͗͜s͔̳̣̀̋̚ͅ ̡̀̽̌̍̑̓̿͒̕͏̹̻p̵̛̼̳͈͉̟̪̏̎ͧr̶̛̼̹̄ͯ͋̓o̎ͭͬ̓̀͞҉̺̞̤͈b̨̡̩͙̱ͪ͑͋̐ͬ͌̃ͪ̚a̷̗̺̙̜̬̺ͯͮ͛̃̄̍͌̏b̶̢̨͉̘̫̠ͯ̿ͭ͋̈ͬ̒ͦl͙͎̯̰͚̉ͫ͟͠͝y̠̖̦̣̬̘͗ͭ̓ͯͮ̕ ̧̛̤̩͓̀͐̇͆̈̇̆͡w̡̙̝͎̬̲̦̹̱͙ͧ̓͗̋ͦͨ̃ơ̷͖̮̏͌͟n̵̡͕͉̹͇̖̽̄̍̑̉͗͜'̔̿̒ͧ͑̈́҉͎͍̘̳t̟͍̺̿͡ ̷̫͕̼̪̉͊͒͋̑̈́̕͟w̜̜̪̓̄ͩ̏̄̎͆̔ͦ́o̵̝̠̠̖͖̪͊͛̍ṙ̼ͬͪ͟ͅk̶ͫ̂҉͚̠̞͇͓͚ͅͅ.̵̶̱̭̪̻̫̗̗̂̈́ͨͯ͠

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#27 - 2014-06-07 20:33:01 UTC
you could save us all from wild speculation by just sending him a mail and asking him.
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2014-06-07 20:36:38 UTC
Studio Ghibli wrote:
There's a wormhole linking my system with another system.

A pilot came through. I was sitting on our end of the wormhole. He fled and I chased him back through.

First thing he said in local was "草."

What does that mean? Google picks it up as "grass," but I imagine there's some contextual meaning to it.

He was asking for "herbal recreation"..... you should have sent him to me. I have what he seeks.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2014-06-07 20:38:43 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Nope. Well actually, it is not allowed to use any other than Latin Script and numbers. As far as I know English characters do not exist as such.

2. IN-GAME NAMES
3. May contain the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and single quotation. (Corporation names may also include minus and dot characters.)

This completely ruins my plan to make an alt named Soon™ and sit in noob systems talking about all the delayed features that might never happen.

[#savethelance]
Domania
NOMADS.
#30 - 2014-06-07 21:47:39 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
Karen Avioras wrote:
grass is green, like shrek

shrek has ears, like spok

Shrek is love, Shrek is life...
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#31 - 2014-06-07 22:51:46 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Nope. Well actually, it is not allowed to use any other then...

Than.
God.
Damn it.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#32 - 2014-06-07 22:55:28 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
ISD Ezwal wrote:
Nope. Well actually, it is not allowed to use any other then...

Than.
God.
Damn it.
doh.... /o\

(thanks, corrected)

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#33 - 2014-06-07 22:57:33 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
T̡̻̣̓ͩͣ̑̈̎̑h̛̪̭̞͖̃́ͯ̅͊͘͝i̱̪̞̰̣͈̦̍ͪ̓̓ͮ̔͊͗͜s͔̳̣̀̋̚ͅ ̡̀̽̌̍̑̓̿͒̕͏̹̻p̵̛̼̳͈͉̟̪̏̎ͧr̶̛̼̹̄ͯ͋̓o̎ͭͬ̓̀͞҉̺̞̤͈b̨̡̩͙̱ͪ͑͋̐ͬ͌̃ͪ̚a̷̗̺̙̜̬̺ͯͮ͛̃̄̍͌̏b̶̢̨͉̘̫̠ͯ̿ͭ͋̈ͬ̒ͦl͙͎̯̰͚̉ͫ͟͠͝y̠̖̦̣̬̘͗ͭ̓ͯͮ̕ ̧̛̤̩͓̀͐̇͆̈̇̆͡w̡̙̝͎̬̲̦̹̱͙ͧ̓͗̋ͦͨ̃ơ̷͖̮̏͌͟n̵̡͕͉̹͇̖̽̄̍̑̉͗͜'̔̿̒ͧ͑̈́҉͎͍̘̳t̟͍̺̿͡ ̷̫͕̼̪̉͊͒͋̑̈́̕͟w̜̜̪̓̄ͩ̏̄̎͆̔ͦ́o̵̝̠̠̖͖̪͊͛̍ṙ̼ͬͪ͟ͅk̶ͫ̂҉͚̠̞͇͓͚ͅͅ.̵̶̱̭̪̻̫̗̗̂̈́ͨͯ͠

If your goal was to give me a headache... it did.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Killright Denied
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-06-07 23:18:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Killright Denied
As a native Chinese, I can tell you that this is the equivalent of saying the F word.
Short, simple, and to the point.

The reason it translated to "Grass" is because, phonetically, he is correct, but there are many words with the same phonetic, but different meaning. The method to type all these phonetics on the keyboard is the same.

On a contextual basis, we all know what it means. Coming out a WH and seeing some Freddie Kruger chasing him, pretty sure you'll say the same.
Goldiiee
Bureau of Astronomical Anomalies
#35 - 2014-06-07 23:27:04 UTC
Probably went back to his group and told them what 'he' (Assuming) did, and they all had a good laugh taking bets on how long it would take you to figure it out.

Escaped gank so, money saved
Created distracting forum thread that lasts for days= Priceless

Things that keep me up at night;  Why do we use a voice communication device to send telegraphs? Moore's Law should state, Once you have paid off the last PC upgrade you will need another.

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2014-06-08 00:58:53 UTC
Galen Darksmith wrote:
Studio Ghibli wrote:
There's a wormhole linking my system with another system.

A pilot came through. I was sitting on our end of the wormhole. He fled and I chased him back through.

First thing he said in local was "草."

What does that mean? Google picks it up as "grass," but I imagine there's some contextual meaning to it.

You found the mythical "420 blazeit" wormhole ninja clan!
Shocked

Lol

Excellent reply. +100

DMC
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2014-06-08 01:01:29 UTC
Killright Denied wrote:
As a native Chinese, I can tell you that this is the equivalent of saying the F word.

The reason it translated to "Grass" is because, phonetically, he is correct, but there are many words with the same phonetic, but different meaning. The method to type all these phonetics on the keyboard is the same.

On a contextual basis, we all know what it means. Coming out a WH and seeing some Freddie Kruger chasing him, pretty sure you'll say the same.

So, essentially what he did was wander into what he quickly realized to be "the wrong neighborhood", presumably forgot to bookmark he sport he came in at before warping away, and all he had to say for himself was the rough equivalent of "Oh, f**k".....

Have I got the right of it?

[#savethelance]
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2014-06-08 01:05:55 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
2. IN-GAME NAMES

Player names may also contain the minus or hyphen symbol, afaik.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Marsha Mallow
#39 - 2014-06-08 01:11:32 UTC
Killright Denied wrote:

You just gave us new sigs, corp titles, shipnames and bios, thank you :)

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#40 - 2014-06-08 06:50:53 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
ISD Ezwal wrote:

2. IN-GAME NAMES

This completely ruins my plan to make an alt named Soon™ and sit in noob systems talking about all the delayed features that might never happen.

You could still call your Alt.....PSSSHHHHH?

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Previous page123Next page