These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE's "No Fight" Culture

First post
Author
Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#201 - 2014-06-06 11:09:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Aralieus wrote:
Why get all bent out of shape for some Sisi elites? There are plenty of us on the test server who will fight anyone anytime in anything and even some who knowingly go against the odds just to test the cut of their jib. Sisi or Tranq some ppl will fight and not give two clucks about KB stats, they just love the thrill if the fight. Find out who those people are and add them to your contacts and ask for fights whenever you see them online.

FYI: I am one if those guys....as a matter of fact I think me and you have gone a few rounds already and had a blast doing so.

Yes we have, and I always appreciate your time Big smile

I enjoy the discussion and I like the debate, it just just so happens that it mostly turns into trolling. Perhaps if the ISD's keep the kind of presence they have now the content of these forums can be improved upon. I would actually prefer to discuss things, it is just really hard to get to do that. To much gets misrepresented and misconstrued, and so I just end up practicing my debate PVP skills instead.

One thing I have always like about these forums in particular is that aspect. No matter what you try to debate in real life, whether it's true or false, about religion, politics or science... you will have to contend with the rabble who use debate skills to warp the meaning of words in order to push individual agendas. Agruing that water is indeed not wet here in EVE's general discussion, is comparable to training with Mr. Miyagi in the Karate kid. Wax on... Wax off... now show! P

[center]The EVE Gateway Blog[/center] [center]One Of EVE Online's Ultimate Resources[/center]

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2014-06-06 12:17:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Eternum Praetorian wrote:
I get what you are saying and I respect it. And as far as I know when two Samarai fought they often dealt each other deadly blows before it ended. Not very smart I admit.

I wasn't saying that duelling is dumb. Far from it.. I fought one my first few minutes in EVE (I lost) and it was one of the things that hooked me into the game. But I do think the format restricts some of the advantages a ship might have.

Let's take a brawler vs. a kiter for example (the fight between us). I'd rather start the fight from very far away. You'd never fight me unless there was some reasonable proximity between us. In a "war" situation, this question would never come up.. it's just a matter of who has the advantage in a split second. But in a duel, I don't know what the right answer would be. Start up close, or start far away? It seems like a binary choice which might put one person at an automatic disadvantage. BTW, don't take this as a comment on our encounter. I thought it was perfectly fair and I enjoyed it.

Quote:
So if the ships are essentially worthless (especially on the test server) then let me ask you this, what precisely is on the line? What is it that a person is unwilling to risk by committing themselves to a match they are not certain to win? A match where skill in flight and intelligence in the fitting window will not be the deciding factors?

I invite you to form a hypothesis.

So I will say that the test server is "weird" to me for three reasons.
1. I never set up my skill queues on SiSi. On TQ I always have a purpose to each skill I am learning, so for my pilot I'm really only familiar with their *current* capabilities. On SiSi I'd have to think back to what I could do back in May.
2. None of my friends in EVE are on SiSi, so usually I'm there only for testing purposes. I like to be in and out to get the test content and then get out to go to TQ (if I want to be in EVE). I barely have time for EVE itself, and responding to random duels can be time consuming. Sometimes people just have to jet and they can't play with you and it might not even be personal.. or reflect their style of play when they do have time to play.
3. Losses on SiSi are meaningless. I like the onus of a real loss so I can learn from it (like on TQ).

That said, it seems like these fellows in the OP do duel on SiSi.. so maybe they're killboard padding?

Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
I am no fighter anymore, but if people want PvP to be increased in the game, do away with API's for kills and losses.
If you don't have a kill/loss board to hold you back or to incentivize you, the only reason you PvP is for the love of it, or for strategic reasons.

Saisin wrote:
I think the game can still track the number of kills and losses, but without all the extra information currently provided, like location, fits, loots value,...which can also give a lot of clues about any player's patterns, and as such is also conductive to the "No Fair Fight" culture...

I disagree with you both. Killmails and publicly sharing kills are a big part of EVE's feelgood cycle. Seeing fits is an important educational experience. I rely heavily on researching killboards to understand what Local looks like (though this may be an unfair avenue for research.. debatable).

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Commander Spurty
#203 - 2014-06-06 12:32:32 UTC
I like pvp and I also like undocking 100% expecting to explode, but this won't happen without meeting the 50% chance of having a fighting chance.

If that 50% isn't met, I can load up a 5 v 5 game that will stimulate the 'competitive receptors' that I'm looking for instead.

Goad all you want in you 200 man carrier camp of an NPC station. No one's coming to fight you. You're just too big for your own enjoyment.

Even a sandbox has walls to keep the sand in, otherwise it's "A BEACH".

What happens when you fight on a Beach? See Normandy landings or Dunkirk evac for more details on 'Historical wisdom'.

Sand Box needs more BOX and less Sand and people will have less "Dunk"-age to keep them docked up.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#204 - 2014-06-06 12:45:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Sibyyl wrote:

So I will say that the test server is "weird" to me for three reasons.
1. I never set up my skill queues on SiSi. On TQ I always have a purpose to each skill I am learning, so for my pilot I'm really only familiar with their *current* capabilities. On SiSi I'd have to think back to what I could do back in May.
2. None of my friends in EVE are on SiSi, so usually I'm there only for testing purposes. I like to be in and out to get the test content and then get out to go to TQ (if I want to be in EVE). I barely have time for EVE itself, and responding to random duels can be time consuming. Sometimes people just have to jet and they can't play with you and it might not even be personal.. or reflect their style of play when they do have time to play.
3. Losses on SiSi are meaningless. I like the onus of a real loss so I can learn from it (like on TQ).

That said, it seems like these fellows in the OP do duel on SiSi.. so maybe they're killboard padding?.

Finally, we are discussing! \0/

Maybe I should stop mentioning sisi because people harp on it to much. It is after all only one component in a list, but if I mention it, it seems to become all that people talk about. That being said, putting aside sisi completely... if two wealthy (or isk well off) pilots meet in a fight that is 1v1 (or a team of wealthy/ isk well off pilots meet 10 vs 10) and said ships can be easily replaced.

If individuals on both sides are self proclaimed PVP'ers with reasonable killboards. If no one is going to actually die in the process, being that this is in fact a real game, and not real war or real life.

Then... my question that I invited you to answer was, what is it that they are risking in said fight? Whatever it is that this risk is, seems to cause people to be risk adverse when the odds are not significantly stacked in their favor. I believe that most of us here have established this as being, more or less, an observable behavior in game.

But what exactly do you think is that thing that is on the line?
That is what I meant P sorry if I was not clear enough.

[center]The EVE Gateway Blog[/center] [center]One Of EVE Online's Ultimate Resources[/center]

Solecist Project
#205 - 2014-06-06 12:53:34 UTC
Sibyyl.

In an artificial combat situation where you can not make sure you land within optimal range
and can be sure to keep it that way, your best option is to be faster and more agile than the
opponent, using long range weaponry.

That doesn't mean you're a kiter, btw.
Thinking in these catgories clouds and restricts the mind.

There's a job to be done. What counts is to get it done. Ignore kiters vs brawlers,
analyse the ground of what they have in common and adress that instead.

You should join the frigate tournament.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#206 - 2014-06-06 13:28:11 UTC
Spurty wrote:
I like pvp and I also like undocking 100% expecting to explode, but this won't happen without meeting the 50% chance of having a fighting chance.

If that 50% isn't met, I can load up a 5 v 5 game that will stimulate the 'competitive receptors' that I'm looking for instead.

Sand Box needs more BOX and less Sand and people will have less "Dunk"-age to keep them docked up.

Get I get an Amen and a hallelujah!

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#207 - 2014-06-06 13:49:57 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
I wasn't saying that duelling is dumb. Far from it.. I fought one my first few minutes in EVE (I lost) and it was one of the things that hooked me into the game. But I do think the format restricts some of the advantages a ship might have.

Let's take a brawler vs. a kiter for example (the fight between us). I'd rather start the fight from very far away. You'd never fight me unless there was some reasonable proximity between us. In a "war" situation, this question would never come up.. it's just a matter of who has the advantage in a split second. But in a duel, I don't know what the right answer would be. Start up close, or start far away? It seems like a binary choice which might put one person at an automatic disadvantage.
Yes, I also find duels extremely limiting. I often solo, but I almost never do arranged 1v1s.

For example, a couple of days ago I was in a coercer and met a 3-man gang: sentinel, harpy and merlin.

In 3 separate arranged 1v1s, 99% of the time I'd win against the merlin and lose against the other two. 1% chance of any other outcome - not very interesting, imo.

Instead, with no 'honorable rules' in place, they first tried to gang up on me but I managed to escape.

Then they spread out a bit in the system, and I spent 15 minutes trying to get the sentinel alone @ zero. It finally happened, and pop went the sentinel.

Then harpy+merlin chased me. At first they were together, then the Merlin made the mistake of getting too close while the harpy was farther away, and pop went the merlin.

I then left system since I felt I had little to no chance against the harpy.

TL;DR with some skill, luck and a couple of mistakes of my opponents, I got a better result vs. a duel, even with unfavorable odds. Even if I had popped instead (as often happens when I try 1 v many), it still would've been much more fun than a duel.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Solecist Project
#208 - 2014-06-06 13:54:36 UTC
That's because you're not fitting for the task at hand,
which is winning the duel.

Instead, you fit like usual. A duel isn't "as usual" though.
It's an artificially set up encounter.

You sound like you fit generic fits and hope to win fights.
That's the common approach and ineffective.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#209 - 2014-06-06 15:49:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Maeltstome
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Looks like you met the "ELITE HIGHSEC PVP'ER" with perfect near perfect efficiency. Fights noobs and idiots in indies picking up jetcans. Go fight a lowsec pirate and you'll get your "gud fytes".

Losec pirates are just as bad for KM whoring as war dec'ers.

A few weeks ago I spent 5 minutes trying to convince a crow pilot to fight me 1v1 while i was in my claw. I has to say "I'm solo and want to die" before he engaged. After 5 minutes of cross-jumping he finally aggressed me and then his 2 friends (A rapier and a hound) decloak and start ganking me.

I managed to kill the Crow but couldn't warp out. The rapier pilot then proceeded to flame me and call me a scrub, despite my killing another 'ceptor while 3v1... He mad :)

I personally think API's shouldn't include kill information, nor should killmails be given. It was great initially, but now it's created a culture that discourages fighting (regardless of monetary losses) where victory must be almost assured. And the easiest way to assure victory is to bring more people (psst... im talking about blobs).

Most people wont blink at losing a 1billion isk ship because they can make money easily, but they hate how it looks on their killboard, so much so that they wont even fight.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2014-06-06 15:57:47 UTC
Maeltstome wrote:
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Looks like you met the "ELITE HIGHSEC PVP'ER" with perfect near perfect efficiency. Fights noobs and idiots in indies picking up jetcans. Go fight a lowsec pirate and you'll get your "gud fytes".

A few weeks ago I spent 5 minutes trying to convince a crow pilot to fight me 1v1 while i was in my claw. I has to say "I'm solo and want to die" before he engaged. After 5 minutes of cross-jumping he finally aggressed me and then his 2 friends (A rapier and a hound) decloak and start ganking me.

I managed to kill the Crow but couldn't warp out. The rapier pilot then proceeded to flame me and call me a scrub, despite my killing another 'ceptor while 3v1... He mad :)

I personally think API's shouldn't include kill information, nor should killmails be given. It was great initially, but now it's created a culture that discourages fighting (regardless of monetary losses) where victory must be almost assured. The easiest way to assure victory is to bring more people.

Most people wont blink at losing a 1billion isk ship because they can make money easily, but they hate how it looks on their killboard, so much so that they wont even fight.

Just pity them and move on. You're learning something new every fight, they're just having fun (nothing wrong with that) but they'll never become better pilots if they only ever engage 3v1.

Next time, you'll kill the crow and warp out, and laugh at them.

Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#211 - 2014-06-06 22:05:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Solecist Project wrote:

Instead, you fit like usual. A duel isn't "as usual" though.
It's an artificially set up encounter.

You sound like you fit generic fits and hope to win fights.
That's the common approach and ineffective.

I once scored a 1v1 in a dual rep'd Ishtar (pretty much my best ship) and invited the other guy to bring whatever else he wanted. He showed up in a guardian and I was like... WTF. He then commenced to neut me and kill all my drones with his. He had a pair of small blaster on his ship and between them and the warriors he actually rendered me helpless pretty quick and started chewing through both my cap and my tank.

I learned never to fight guardians Big smile

That being said, I personally do not like "trick" builds. I try and make it a point to fight with what I would be PVPing in under normal circumstance. If Remiel Pollard had not disappeared, I would have made it a point to find him in low sec. He showed us all that he flies Ishkur. I would have outfit my own version of an Ishkur or my preferred AF the Enyo. The resulting fight would end up being decided by each man's skill in said ship, being they would be more or less equally matched. I could also choose any other AF that I wanted, and it would still be about the pilots.

Basically, if it is not a real PVP fit then IMO it is not really a "match" it becomes something else.

Marsha Mallow
#212 - 2014-06-06 22:17:59 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
That being said, I personally do not like "trick" builds. I try and make it a point to fight with what I would be PVPing in under normal circumstance.

Basically, if it is not a real PVP fit then IMO it is not really a "match" it becomes something else.

What you are asking for is instanced style PVP with like minded people who enter the fight blind and are unable to refit.

Tought luck. Sandboxes have other players.

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#213 - 2014-06-06 22:36:30 UTC
What do you think is a real PVP fit?

Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#214 - 2014-06-06 23:18:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Eternum has just now learned that Interceptors do not respond to warp bubbles anymore ShockedShockedShockedShocked

An old friend has PM'd me, and so I think I will go smash my face into Catch and give people the finger in local. Thank you everyone who was "man enough" to actually engage in a real debate with me. Thank you Sibyyl for the only fight that I got in (what is probably) 30-40 pages of thread, now mostly deleted by admins. You can PM me anytime and if you want to learn more i'll happily take you into low sec and show you how easy it is to not get killed there.

Solecist Project I was in HEK just now, per the time index of this post, and I left the trade window open with you for quite some time with a single female exotic dancer in it. I'll just presume that you were afk and on your main toon doing something important Cool

I am headed back to amarr to sell my dessy and build myself an interceptor. See ya around o7

Peace out General!

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#215 - 2014-06-07 00:01:53 UTC
If individuals on both sides are self proclaimed PVP'ers with reasonable killboards. If no one is going to actually die in the process, being that this is in fact a real game, and not real war or real life.

Then... my question that I invited you to answer was, what is it that they are risking in said fight?

What's on the line? Egos of course. We are social creatures and we want others to appreciate how well we've done, even if it is "just a game".

I think it's fair to say that for them, having an upper hand before expending antimatter has more pleasure in it than being caught in a situation where their victory isn't clear. I will confess, the "victory is assured" combatant is typically the bad guy in stories, and I always enjoy the bad guy because it's always paramount to him that he isn't caught flatfooted.

There is another side to this of course. Most players are not insidious and villainous. And most players are risk averse and comfortable only in fleets and would rather station spin than encountering the unknown. Now here let me be honest with you. Maybe YOU are free to rail on this kind of behavior, but I'm not sure I'm really free of it. I've done a lot of stupid things and gotten pleasure out of it, but I am also insanely paranoid and as an inadvertant result very risk averse. I don't feel like I'm that brave a lot of the time. So as much as I'd like to agree or disagree with you, I really don't feel like I'm in a position to do so.

Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
a couple of days ago I was in a coercer and met a 3-man gang

In a Coercer? I don't even have to read the rest of your post to know that you're awesome! But I did read your post, and it sounds like it was a good adventure for you.

Maeltstome wrote:

Here's the thing. This other person had friends he was lurking around with. Finding friends to blap people is a competing skill in the game. Friends are more valuable than guns on your ship. As much as I'd like to give you credit for being a brave fighter, you also were roaming without any friends. Why? And why do you think that killing you with 2 other friends is unfair or cowardly? You got outgamed, and you got killed. I think that's fair.. don't you?

Solecist Project wrote:

I want to say this is intuitive and easy, but for me it's not. Kaarous had to explain it to me (and it took multiple emails) and I still think my understanding of what fits are better applied to what purposes is still sort of secondhand knowledge. I honestly read Kaarous's last post in thread five times, and I still don't understand what he's saying about Logi and aggressing.

I am a big fan of this complexity.. even if I don't understand it. But I think that you have non-trivial knowledge of fitting Coercers (for example) that may not be elementary to somebody like me (or Gully).

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#216 - 2014-06-07 00:14:10 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
non-trivial knowledge of fitting Coercers (for example) that may not be elementary to somebody like me (or Gully).
As long as you make sure you have all 8 lazor turrets, you're fine! Bonus points if you manage to squeeze in an oversized (10MN) AB.

Malken
Sleiipniir
#217 - 2014-06-07 06:11:44 UTC
lol, smacktalking on sisi isnt very productive is it?

☻/ /▌ / \

Hedion's oracle
Naari LLC
#218 - 2014-06-07 06:24:49 UTC
Gud fights in low sec...........sure, just make sure you bring a booster alt, cause dam sure the piwate will have one, laughs....good fights my azz.....

Error: Working As intended

Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#219 - 2014-06-07 09:16:33 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Maeltstome wrote:
Yang Aurilen wrote:

I personally think API's shouldn't include kill information, nor should killmails be given. It was great initially, but now it's created a culture that discourages fighting (regardless of monetary losses) where victory must be almost assured. The easiest way to assure victory is to bring more people.

Just pity them and move on. You're learning something new every fight, they're just having fun (nothing wrong with that) but they'll never become better pilots if they only ever engage 3v1.

Next time, you'll kill the crow and warp out, and laugh at them.

I've been playing Since '06 so i'm fairly efficient at PVP. I'd have died with no kills if i wasn't already good. But i'm at a point now where lots of small decisions in a fight are what make the difference between a win and a loss - but thats redered pointless when E-War ships decloak and start messing with you.

Admittedly anything BUT a rapier would have been easy for me to avoid. Otherwise i was getting a Crow, Hound and staying alive to boot.

back on topic: Until people leave there gangs and either forget about stats or dont have stats to be tracked, most PVP is uneventful and boring due to become a mathematical equation.
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#220 - 2014-06-07 09:19:51 UTC
Hedion's oracle wrote:
Gud fights in low sec...........sure, just make sure you bring a booster alt, cause dam sure the piwate will have one, laughs....good fights my azz.....

Liang used to bombard these forums with info and include KM's as evidence. What she didn't say was that her corp had a max skilled link alt in every system so they could roam 10 system of space with insane buffs then claim elite PVP status.

I think i hate links more than i have blobs... at least blobs you can see on your overview.