These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A message regarding reported layoffs at CCP

First post First post First post
Author
Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#41 - 2014-06-05 19:00:22 UTC
"...layoff of 49 people in our publishing organization..." - I wonder if the overall lack of strong sales towards the Collector's Edition hurt this group too since you do not promote something and within months slash the price down a third.

I guess this will mean no more hard cover books based on the Eve universe either.

Good luck to those affected.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#42 - 2014-06-05 19:00:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Felicity Love
Is it time to shoot the monument yet ?

Yes, I refer to the ingame monument outside Jita 4-4... and it's a sign of the times that I feel the need to err on the side of caution and make the distinction versus the RL monument.

Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Azami Nevinyrall
#43 - 2014-06-05 19:12:16 UTC
Good to see Upper Management unchanged for a long time now!

Keep up the....good work!

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2014-06-05 19:19:01 UTC
Having the fiction team write an apology is pretty cool and appropriate.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#45 - 2014-06-05 19:32:28 UTC
Alewx wrote:
I just can't believe this, as the NEX store with the monocle was introduced a single forum thread was filled within hours by hunderts of posts from different people just raging, but now, as it is something that is really really serious noone cares, are you all just out of your minds?!
The thread in question was filled, not so much with the NEX and monocles, but with this very issue. People have already expended their care quota and are most likely not entirely surprised.

The only ones who'd do more than give a shrug of acknowledgement are the ones who still somehow, magically, believed that ambulation was a thing…
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#46 - 2014-06-05 19:34:13 UTC
The team pulled one over when they scripted that he had to kiss TheMittani's ring in the makeup meeting. lol
Riyal
invidious Squid
#47 - 2014-06-05 20:12:10 UTC
I wish those that have lost jobs the best of luck.

The Guardian article is disturbing, especially the apology part.

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

Themanfromdalmontee
EVE RADIO ARMY
#48 - 2014-06-05 20:38:08 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:
Alundil wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

and

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782190/ccp-iceland-layoffs-eve-online

Just to add, NIck Blood, the guy in the Guardian article was CCP DropBear

Yes - some response on the allegations would be most warranted at this point. Especially considering the allegedly ghost-written "Sincere apology"

Even if this is, admittedly, a one-sided article since no one from CCP mgmt decided to reply to The Guardian, it is a pretty disheartening thing to read.

At the time I thought "Wow - he can write". But the nagging suspicion was there. Should have known better - CEO's do nothing on their own.

First thing my GF said, what CEO writes their own press releases...very few.
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2014-06-05 20:43:36 UTC
TMC reports that also CCP Xhagen and CCP Loxy are gone.What?

Unless I'm wrong, CCP fired 19 developers in december, 56 in april, and now 49. That's a good bunch of people.

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Hasril Pux
Red Cabal
#50 - 2014-06-05 20:51:05 UTC
Management should come from the ground floor. Huge companies always seem to end up with these monumental managers who, being so insulated from what it actually takes to get the work done, make terrible misinformed decisions. Marketing departments also need to ask developers about their visions, not push their own agendas based on what they think will safely work. Otherwise the creativity will stagnate, developers will become disillusioned and uninspired and business will suffer.

If you like any of the older ship models (original artwork) better than the redesign of your favorite hull and don't want them to be lost forever, support ship customization and this feature request.

Rainbow Dash
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2014-06-05 21:07:18 UTC
It's pretty clear, from that article and reviews of the company by ex-employees, that the management is terrible and responsible for a lot of CCP's struggles. Unfortunately, I think clueless management might drag CCP to an early grave.

The old saying "Eve succeeded despite CCP, not because of them" rings more true today than ever.
Xenuria
#52 - 2014-06-05 21:15:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Xenuria
I have very strong feelings about this and the more information I find on the matter the less sympathetic I am too CCP.

I am so indescribably rustled right now.
CCP you have successfully RUSED me.
Alewx
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2014-06-05 21:24:30 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
TMC reports that also CCP Xhagen and CCP Loxy are gone.What?

Unless I'm wrong, CCP fired 19 developers in december, 56 in april, and now 49. That's a good bunch of people.

That is about 1/5 off the overall employees...
But nooooo of course EVE will not be affected....[Sarcasm]
I really was believing in CCP having something different than other companies.
PLEX, NEX, Collectors Editions that all sympthoms of the same problem that already began years ago.
CCP was once almost down, but they got back up.

EVE is 10 Years older than Star Citizien, it is indeed already online, but still can not get enough cash from the players?
Is the SC community bigger, stronger or giving more? Is RSI lieing about the cash, or is there again a myserious Investment in the background?

Monthly payment for playing alone is not enough to keep it up, so PLEX came, but still it is not enough and than NEX came and also the Rebellion. 10 years of great big game and unique universe, so isn't EVE worth it?

All are talking so big that something was done wrong, that it would have to be done different in the past, but what the hell, do you all have running game companies for more than 10 years, without mistakes? Anyone, please step forward.

It is not just CCP that is having problems it is the whole industrie, but EVE should be ahead of this problems and show solutions. Like the CSM there has to be something unique a bond and contract between company and community. None of them can stand alone. We like the game we want to play it, so than we as community should also give them the founding to run the game, and develop it.
In fact we have the CSM so why isn't there already planing and discussion about how to keep on?
Xenuria
#54 - 2014-06-05 21:26:56 UTC
OHGOD

Is this it?
Is this the end?
Quote:
Sweet Jesus, it's an Anti-AT Field!

~Flipping All The Tables~
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2014-06-05 21:36:47 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
The below post is denialism. I've preserved it since many people have quoted it, but I've since changed my mind:

Oh my ******* god, you people. Stop acting like this is the first time a software company has ever done this.

I don't even work in the industry (yet) and I know full well to expect this kind of thing from pretty much anywhere I'd go. Nothing about the linked article surprises me either.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Pine Marten
Doomheim
#56 - 2014-06-05 21:41:04 UTC
BUT...BUT...CCP TOOK THEIR FOOD AWAY!?

I bet management continued to eat lobster though.
Radgette
EVE Irn Bru Distribution
#57 - 2014-06-05 21:46:55 UTC
erm CCP Xhagen is publishing? really?

He is a massive loss tbh great guy and been with CCP for like 11 years. thats gonna have an effect on EVE nomatter what CCP says.

DrSmegma
Smegma United
#58 - 2014-06-05 21:53:08 UTC
49 people? Wow. The last one switches the light off.

Eve too complicated? Try Astrum Regatta.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#59 - 2014-06-05 22:00:25 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Preserved denialism below:

Pine Marten wrote:
I bet management continued to eat lobster though.

Probably. Welcome to capitalism. None of this should be surprising.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Xenuria
#60 - 2014-06-05 22:07:45 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Oh my ******* god, you people. Stop acting like this is the first time a software company has ever done this.

I don't even work in the industry (yet) and I know full well to expect this kind of thing from pretty much anywhere I'd go. Nothing about the linked article surprises me either.

Admitedly I put CCP on a pedastool when compared to ofter software companies. I expect stuff like this from gaben and Americanized triple A companies, not CCP.

BREAKING: CCP lays off all of CCP to restructure CCP.