These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Definition of a solo player in Eve

Author
Kerie Thomas
Marwolaeth Hyfryd
#81 - 2014-06-04 15:19:39 UTC
Personally, I believe a solo player is someone who is controlling their character(s) fully and without any out of game code.

I know there are people playing the game using software like ISBoxer, which apparently CCP has said they are allowed to do. But I cannot see how that is not classed as "botting" as you are only controlling one character and relying on out of game code to control the others.
Zander Kumamato
The Chaos Void
#82 - 2014-06-04 18:35:02 UTC
Kerie Thomas wrote:
Personally, I believe a solo player is someone who is controlling their character(s) fully and without any out of game code.

I know there are people playing the game using software like ISBoxer, which apparently CCP has said they are allowed to do. But I cannot see how that is not classed as "botting" as you are only controlling one character and relying on out of game code to control the others.

Serve the rich, Keep the poor poor.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#83 - 2014-06-04 18:45:37 UTC
Kerie Thomas wrote:

Thats right

The only important CODE can be found in-game!

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#84 - 2014-06-04 19:46:04 UTC
Solo - one person playing one account fighting with one pilot without any OGB or outside assistance whatsoever.

"Solo" - one person playing several accounts with one pilot, one OGB alt, one falcon/blackbird/griffin/ibis alt and 3 neutral logistics.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#85 - 2014-06-05 08:39:04 UTC
People so hateful of OGBs.
If jealous, get your own booster while they still do something.

Else, flying true solo without scout/OGB is very daring, also incredibly dumb.
Talia Prime
Imperial Militia
#86 - 2014-06-05 09:18:52 UTC
I used to think I was a solo player. Due to time constraints and inconsistent logging on times I'm unable to participate in corp activities so I mainly do exploration in all sectors of space. That said, I do participate in Spectre fleets and used to love bombers bar. I also used to run incursions, although I rarely get the chance now. So, I guess I'm not truly solo.
Leafar Nightfall
Silent Owls
#87 - 2014-06-05 13:24:51 UTC
Talia Prime wrote:
I used to think I was a solo player. Due to time constraints and inconsistent logging on times I'm unable to participate in corp activities so I mainly do exploration in all sectors of space. That said, I do participate in Spectre fleets and used to love bombers bar. I also used to run incursions, although I rarely get the chance now. So, I guess I'm not truly solo.

I'd still consider you a solo player. If you do most of your things solo, run your own "services" (i.e. ships and modules logistic), don't have a regular group or corp, and mostly do solo stuff like exploration, you're a solo player.

Like I said, solo doesn't mean alone necessarily. Yesterday I became friends with two other pilots. one who mopped the floor with me three times in a row and shared some tips, and fleeted up with the second when we saw that we'd tie if we fought (I wouldn't break his tank and he wouldn't be able to get me in his scrambler range)

Playing solo has much, much more to do with being independent than with being antissocial
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2014-06-05 13:25:05 UTC
For me, solo equates to busy in real life. I don't feel like I'd be reliable to an active corp and I'd be worried that I'd get sucked in and risk RL commitments.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#89 - 2014-06-05 13:45:24 UTC
I play solo most of the time. One account too.

I've been in and out of a few corps over the years, and never cared for the demands I needed to fulfill to participate. I hate feeling like I'm not pulling my weight, and the conflict that creates between my game time and real life. I just want to play at my own pace and not have to worry about it.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#90 - 2014-06-05 17:49:28 UTC
I'm all alone in my alliance. Should count as pretty solo.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Anslo
Scope Works
#91 - 2014-06-05 17:51:15 UTC
Bro you 'solo' with 18 mining titans, come on.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Zack Korth
Livid CO.
#92 - 2014-06-05 18:05:36 UTC
people who will do anything to keep from being shot
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#93 - 2014-06-05 18:48:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Bronson Hughes
I'd call a solo player one who doesn't spend much, if any, time participating in fixed social connections like corps, alliances, channels, etc. You interact with other players every time you log on, but if it's with different, random players every time, you're pretty much playing solo.

I currently qualify as a solo player. I'm recently back after a long break and have less uninterrupted time to play, so I've been enjoying the freedom that solo play grants. I'm trying my hand at science & industry, trying missions in different ship configurations, roaming around losec looking for stuff to pop, etc. (And enjoying the impact of Tiericide! Twisted) To me, playing solo is not as much fun as when I was in a corp with other people, but it's more fun than sitting largely idle in a corp knowing that my corpmates can't depend on me for ops and such.

I do have two established accounts, and I just started up a third that I may keep if it's profitable enough to buy PLEX in-game.

Zack Korth wrote:
people who will do anything to keep from being shot

I don't avoid getting shot, but I do generally avoid getting shot first. Blink

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#94 - 2014-06-05 18:50:29 UTC
SOLO = Ship Only Lives Once

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Netan MalDoran
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#95 - 2014-06-05 18:50:44 UTC
I like this playing style to a degree, able to have enough guns to take out solo targets and become self sufficient, build and harvest your own stuff to use against others. Kinda like suvivor :D

"Your security status has been lowered." - Hell yeah it was!

Falcon's truth

Leafar Nightfall
Silent Owls
#96 - 2014-06-05 18:59:35 UTC
Netan MalDoran wrote:
I like this playing style to a degree, able to have enough guns to take out solo targets and become self sufficient, build and harvest your own stuff to use against others. Kinda like suvivor :D

I don't build anything I use, but I dip my toes in everything I want, from mining to pvp, going through missions and exploration, and so on

I didn't feel I had this freedom in a corp and seeing from the other people comments in here I don't believe it was a problem with that corp only. Sure corps have fun stuff to do too, and this broad range of activities is the opposite from the specialization most people preach, but I never am out of something to do when I log on. At most I spend time choosing what I'll do next, but when I decide I don't have to ask for help or authorization or wait for someone else
Varathius
Enlightened Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#97 - 2014-06-05 19:28:52 UTC
solo play sure helped me understand the true potential of all those smaller ships in eve that are often neglected and ignored so much as a whole. Unfortunately, so many people miss the opportunity on how thrilling a simple t1 vs t1 frigate fight can be.
Souixsie Kayne
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#98 - 2014-06-05 19:45:19 UTC
I consider myself a solo player. I have been in a corp before and found that my random play time was not a good fit. So now I do what I like doing by myself.
As far as interacting with others, I have no problems teaming up with someone or chatting with some random person. Matter of fact I spent an hour or so having a friendly chat with another miner whilst we chewed rocks.
I like my play style much better for many reasons.

- I can do what I like, when I like.
- I can fly whatever I like and fit it out that suits me.
- All profits are mine
- My losses are mine as well and I don't have to listen to a speech about my blunders effecting that corp kill board.

Another thing I like about being solo is I don't have to put up with any political BS. It makes things really easy when I set out to see places. I just consider everyone is out to kill me. I don't go looking for fights and I do my up most to avoid fights and that in itself is not an easy thing to do. I actually find it a challenge sneaking about and I don't fly a cloaky. Last time I was in Null I went over 30 jumps through null and survived untill I hit that pesky gate camp on my way back to home base.

I spend most of my time in Hisec but I don't consider myself a Carebear. I love the game as it is, I like the danger is all it's forms and when I get blapped, I don't cry about it. I just dust myself off and continue on.

I do have two accounts. One is a miner/explorer/ratter and the other is a freighter/salvager/ore collector
E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#99 - 2014-06-05 20:46:34 UTC
Solo pvper is some one that doesnt have 5 other ships in his fleet all controlled by him. One for links one for jams for for dps one for tank and one to scoop the loot.

That is not SOLO pvp.

SOLO player is one how doesnt do the social part of the game.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#100 - 2014-06-05 21:00:29 UTC
Adira Nictor wrote:
Solo Player: A solo player is a player who's primary activities in game are done alone. In 90% of cases I call these players targets, the other 10% are elite pvpers.

this

However you need to add 3rd category there: something in between targets and "elite"

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"