These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Can't Seem to PVP

Author
Ravay Kanjus
Infinity Blue
#1 - 2014-06-04 10:54:19 UTC
Recently got into pvp solo roaming, and had a decent success rate taking out pirate frigates, small 2-3 man squads destroyers and assault frigates in a Corax. Pretty enjoyable. Now here's the drawback. When I decided to get my friend involved, she has a penchant for only liking frigates in pvp, but might be convinced into a cruiser or destroyer.

So far our outings into low sec have netted the result of, for some reason, a person would warp in, target her ship, and it's a wreck in mere seconds, before switching to me. Happened with a Dramiel today, and me in a Hawk. I'm curious as to what the hell we're doing wrong. People talk about "oh man low and null sec pvp has tons of ISK" but I've been noting a steady decline in my wallet, not a rise.

Speaking of, what the hell kind of Hawk fit survives so obscenely well that I didn't even get into his armor with my own hawk? I have two medium anciliary shield boosters on the fit I had flying about, and the guy's hawk was just... invincible. Medium Shield Booster II with a cap booster module, maybe? I noticed the minute reload timer on those two ancillarys is what sealed my fate, even though I used one until it was out, then made the switch. It was enough time the guy got through my armor and most of my structure before the first ancillary was done loading.

I asked if he could share fit, but instead he just webbed and scrambled my pod, stared at it for (not kidding) 3 minutes straight without saying a word, then finally popped the 230 million isk clone. (*******.)
Voi Lutois
Space Men
#2 - 2014-06-04 12:33:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Voi Lutois
Well you guys should probably stick to the frigs/afs and dessys until you figure out your fits and how to fly them and stuff. Keep it cheap while you are learning then once you are comfortable in them and getting some kills move up to bigger, better, pricier ****. If you really want to know that other guys' fit look him up on evekill or something and check his losses, might be able to find it there.
Baron' Soontir Fel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-06-04 15:20:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Baron' Soontir Fel
If you want to fly ships under BC's (Cruisers, dessies, afs, frigs) then join FW. You can sit in plexes and earn ISK that way. And people will come to fight you while you sit in the plexes. There's also FW missions, DED sites, exploration, etc.

Also, the Hawk might have had links and/or drugs. (everybody should be using drugs honestly, pretty cheap for an AF)
Increased shield reps, increased resists, and decreased sig means you're doing a lot less damage to him than he is to you.

In addition, I suggest both of you roam in cheaper ships until you get the hang of PvP and can afford expensive losses. (non-faction/pirate) Frigates and Dessies give you a lot of bang for buck for under 15mil ISK.
Plato Forko
123 Fake Street
#4 - 2014-06-04 16:38:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Plato Forko
yeh I agree with flying cheaper stuff, it emboldens you to take more risks and other pilots are more willing to engage than they would be an AF or two. Looks like your friend likes flying Rifters, which should be AB fit, so a good complement to that would be a MWD+scram+web Atron with active tank, so you can go tackle kiter targets and slow them down enough for the Rifter to catch up. On the flipside, the Rifter can take the lead on tackling AB-fit targets and you show up to add the DPS. If there's ambiguity about how the target is fit (eg. a Wolf in a plex) then just warp in both ships and play it from there.

The main thing is to bring ships different enough that your engagement profile is as broad as it can be, but without sacrificing common-sense things like web and tank, which give you more chances to disengage if things aren't going well.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-06-04 17:30:17 UTC
OP, I had a look at your killboard and TBH, that's a pretty good track record if you really just started solo PVP!

Either you're a real natural or you got a pretty lucky streak.

I suspect your initial ship choice may have something to do with it, too. Not many people solo in destroyers, and in 9 months soloing I'm pretty sure I've NEVER met a solo Corax. I don't fly it myself but your fits look legit, too.

What I mean is, whether intentionally or not, you messed up a bit the common 'solo metagame' of cal/gal warzone by flying a very uncommon ship that probably took many of your (dead) opponents by surprise. This is actually a very good tactic to gain a little edge on your opponents. Many, many people fly popular fits that on one hand work, on the other make them very predictable.

OTOH, solo pvp is usually pretty hard, a know a lot of excellent solo pvpers that have no more than 60-70% killboard efficiency (also because they enjoy taking risks).

All I can say is, welcome to this crazy club, keep going! Expect to have hundreds of losses under your belt, in and against many different ships and fits, before you start to really understand what's going on.

As others have said, flying cheap (frigs and dessies) helps you gain experience at an affordable price.

Fly fun, o7

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Ravay Kanjus
Infinity Blue
#6 - 2014-06-04 19:37:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravay Kanjus
Of all my duo attempts with said friend, it never occurred to me to be the first to warp at a place I know there is an enemy waiting, hoping the target keeps on me instead of my partner. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I also never thought of drugs (doesn't concord flip out if you pass them with drugs?). That'd definitely explain some of the weirder fights I've had in SiSi and regular TQ.

As for Atron suggestion, I've got gunnery and small blaster specialization in mind for my training soon as well, so I'll be keeping this bookmarked. (Active armor or shield tanked? My guess is armor, but being a Gallente frig, it could go either way.)

We've been toying with a lot of ideas. cruisers with a remote rep in the high slot, me running a logistics frig with either a good tank or ECM, or some repair drones. But the suggestion of warping in first in a Corax is also good. Far as exploration goes, that's one goal in mind for the near future; those new low sec sites and some fancy Wormhole sites are tempting. I don't have the hacking skills, but my partner is a good scanner and hacker.

Keeping tabs on this; thanks for the info!

Edited for interesting note. I never podded the guy, but I found him on z killboards, and it turns out he was one of my first kills, him flying a Sentinel. Guess that's what he was doing when he had my pod sitting there- looking up his kill mail out of recognizing the name or something. Again, I didn't pod him. Petty jerk got his revenge by blowing up a dramiel and Hawk. The podding was a bit excessive. Should make it a point to get some more kills on him, then.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-06-04 22:05:26 UTC
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
The podding was a bit excessive.
In lowsec it's more like: when the other guy is in structure, hold ctrl to freeze overivew and hover your mouse right under the last line, ready to click - pray he didn't align and spam warp in time - yes!!! - lock - activate disruptor - hold pod - 'is everybody on it?' - 'no, wait for m...' - pop pod!

After a while, your hands just do it on their own!

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-06-04 22:13:47 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
The podding was a bit excessive.
In lowsec it's more like: when the other guy is in structure, hold ctrl to freeze overivew and hover your mouse right under the last line, ready to click - pray he didn't align and spam warp in time - yes!!! - lock - activate disruptor - hold pod - 'is everybody on it?' - 'no, wait for m...' - pop pod!

After a while, your hands just do it on their own!

FC let me whore in on kill I'm 15 km off only have scram and then suddenly pop it's a a full slave set pod. Even worse if you were the hero tackle.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Theroine
Pew Pew Pirates
#9 - 2014-06-05 03:01:47 UTC
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
Of all my duo attempts with said friend, it never occurred to me to be the first to warp at a place I know there is an enemy waiting, hoping the target keeps on me instead of my partner. I'll have to keep that in mind.

The problem with you warping to engage first, especially if you are warping to a FW plex, is that seeing a Hawk on short is just going to scare many people off. If they do stay for the fight, your friend is probably still boned if there is any way they can catch him/her, assuming his/her ship isn't fit to tank the dps and/or your target doesn't think he/she can break your tank before the extra dps does him/her in.
Ravay Kanjus
Infinity Blue
#10 - 2014-06-05 03:23:51 UTC
Theroine wrote:
Ravay Kanjus wrote:

The problem with you warping to engage first, especially if you are warping to a FW plex, is that seeing a Hawk on short is just going to scare many people off. If they do stay for the fight, your friend is probably still boned if there is any way they can catch him/her, assuming his/her ship isn't fit to tank the dps and/or your target doesn't think he/she can break your tank before the extra dps does him/her in.

So a logi frigate or stick with Corax- or just eff it and exploration sites with her.
Madrax Muvila
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-06-05 04:24:16 UTC
jump in a couple of the new condors. LM's and mwd and go out and just lose them. They cost next to nothing to meta fit and work nicely as a pair.

If isk is a worry join FW and use lp to buy Hookbills and continue on your rampage of destruction!!

Who needs SP!

http://killingitineve.wordpress.com/

Dato Koppla
Balls Deep Inc.
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#12 - 2014-06-05 04:50:26 UTC
I have a fair bit of solo pvp experience in the FW lowsec areas flying mostly frigates. When solo, the most important factor for me is the ability to disengage or escape. This means 2 types of fits are optimal for solo pvp: scram kiters or long point kiters. Scram kiters emphasize keeping your opponent on the edge of scram range to mitigate their dps (assuming they are blaster/autocannon fit) or using your range control to outtrack long range guns or guns with bad tracking (artillery, rails, beams and pulses), the essence of these fits are afterburner + scram + web (sometimes double web) and these are very susceptible to long point kiters with mwd. Traditional long point kiters emphasize dps at 20km and use their mwd to keep out of scram range.

The main selling point of these fits is that when things don't go your way (you're losing, blob incoming etc) you can disengage and warp away which is invaluable when you're flying solo.

As for flying in small gangs, you should always bring lots of utility, make sure you have someone who is fast enough to catch kiters, if you already have 2-3 webs and someone has a spare mid, bring a tracking disruptor, neuts, damps etc. Also everyone has to have some decent know how of various ships. For example, you have a gang of 3 frigs, you find a catalyst/thrasher in a FW plex, you probably have to send 1 person in to prevent scaring them off, but who you send in is paramount, that persons ship has to be able to survive long enough for everyone to arrive and keep point, during the engagement your pilots must be able to keep the catalyst at range and burn out his range if they're taking too much damage. If everyone were to brawl at 0 you'd probably kill him but you'd likely lose a couple of your gang members. This is where things like TDs can be very useful.

Some of my favourite scram kiting ships are: Incursus, Hookbill, Tristan, Comet, Breacher, Firetail, Tormentor (works but my least favourite). Long point kiting ships aren't my thing since kiting is so finicky, there's much less room for error so I personally wouldn't recommend it but some people swear by it, popular ships for this are Hookbill, Condor, Slicer, Wolf, Tristan, Atron. If you'd like more detailed fits and strategies hit me up in game and I can share what I've experienced.
Ravay Kanjus
Infinity Blue
#13 - 2014-06-05 07:10:42 UTC
Dato Koppla wrote:
ISome of my favourite scram kiting ships are: Incursus, Hookbill, Tristan, Comet, Breacher, Firetail, Tormentor (works but my least favourite). Long point kiting ships aren't my thing since kiting is so finicky, there's much less room for error so I personally wouldn't recommend it but some people swear by it, popular ships for this are Hookbill, Condor, Slicer, Wolf, Tristan, Atron. If you'd like more detailed fits and strategies hit me up in game and I can share what I've experienced.

I do have a Hookbill sitting in Jita for ***** and giggles, considering it's relatively low price. (If the Garmur was cheaper, I'd be all over that for this. lol)
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#14 - 2014-06-05 10:55:31 UTC
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
Dato Koppla wrote:
ISome of my favourite scram kiting ships are: Incursus, Hookbill, Tristan, Comet, Breacher, Firetail, Tormentor (works but my least favourite). Long point kiting ships aren't my thing since kiting is so finicky, there's much less room for error so I personally wouldn't recommend it but some people swear by it, popular ships for this are Hookbill, Condor, Slicer, Wolf, Tristan, Atron. If you'd like more detailed fits and strategies hit me up in game and I can share what I've experienced.

I do have a Hookbill sitting in Jita for ***** and giggles, considering it's relatively low price. (If the Garmur was cheaper, I'd be all over that for this. lol)

Buy looooads of ships.. move them to a high sec/low sec border system that has low traffic.. start roaming in low sec.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-06-05 12:06:10 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
Dato Koppla wrote:

Buy looooads of ships.. move them to a high sec/low sec border system that has low traffic.. start roaming in low sec.

Addendum never not base near Tama if you're going to base in highsec bordering lowsec.Pirate Basically just research on what the popular lowsec gatecamp systems are and avoid them.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#16 - 2014-06-05 13:01:52 UTC
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
Speaking of, what the hell kind of Hawk fit survives so obscenely well that I didn't even get into his armor with my own hawk? I have two medium anciliary shield boosters on the fit I had flying about, and the guy's hawk was just... invincible. Medium Shield Booster II with a cap booster module, maybe? I noticed the minute reload timer on those two ancillarys is what sealed my fate, even though I used one until it was out, then made the switch. It was enough time the guy got through my armor and most of my structure before the first ancillary was done loading.

I asked if he could share fit, but instead he just webbed and scrambled my pod, stared at it for (not kidding) 3 minutes straight without saying a word, then finally popped the 230 million isk clone. (*******.)

Perhaps he had links (probably), a crystal set, and/or used drugs.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#17 - 2014-06-05 15:51:51 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Ravay Kanjus wrote:

Perhaps he had links (probably), a crystal set, and/or used drugs.

My guess would be crystals.

Or links

Or both

In order of likelihood

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-06-05 19:35:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugia3
Ravay Kanjus wrote:
Recently got into pvp solo roaming, and had a decent success rate taking out pirate frigates, small 2-3 man squads destroyers and assault frigates in a Corax. Pretty enjoyable. Now here's the drawback. When I decided to get my friend involved, she has a penchant for only liking frigates in pvp, but might be convinced into a cruiser or destroyer.

Bigger is not always better, and 2 destroyers are a lot scarier than 1 destroyer. Any smart solo pilot is going to steer clear of you, and any blob is going to bait and eat you.

Ravay Kanjus wrote:
So far our outings into low sec have netted the result of, for some reason, a person would warp in, target her ship, and it's a wreck in mere seconds, before switching to me. Happened with a Dramiel today, and me in a Hawk. I'm curious as to what the hell we're doing wrong.

Is she a newer character? Happen to be in an NPC corp? Knowing your enemy is critical to survival, esspecially in solo fights. I almost always get rid of newish players first. They are less likely to have signifigant tank skills and combat experience. Means they die faster, and wrecks do 0 dps.

Ravay Kanjus wrote:
People talk about "oh man low and null sec pvp has tons of ISK" but I've been noting a steady decline in my wallet, not a rise.

FW space PvP is not super-profitable. The dudes who make money in FW do it by running FW sites using farming alts, or blitzing FW missions in a bomber.

That said, I live out in the fringes. The non-faction warfare lowsecs. Out here, cruisers and up are much more popular than in FW space, which also means it's easier to kill shiny fit plexers and missioners when you come across them. When in doubt, carry an expanded probe launcher in your cargo hold. You will know why when it comes time to use it.

Ravay Kanjus wrote:

Tengu links.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#19 - 2014-06-06 00:58:08 UTC
Yeah. Dunno about Cal/Gal, but the Minmatar/Amarr area has gotten super linky in the last few weeks. Kind of the meta of the month.
ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
Sedition.
#20 - 2014-06-06 08:10:38 UTC
oh no here comes the booohooooo links part ShockedUgh
12Next page