These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

How do you "catch up" in EvE?

First post
Author
Tikitina
Doomheim
#21 - 2014-06-03 16:58:10 UTC
Magnus Cortex wrote:
There should be daily missions that we can grind for an alternate currency that we can exchange for SP.

Anything like this that the Devs have done in the past, or could do in the future will only cause more problems than they solve.

This was shown with Training Skills and Implants. In the end, everyone just trains a bit faster.

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2014-06-03 17:01:51 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Tippia tends to say things which must be taken with a grain of salt. Mathematically-speaking, in a world of logical outcomes, yes. It's conceivable should enough time pass, someone who starts X amount of years after a player that started on day one will finally catch up to the Skill Points limit. Also, it's conceivable, someone with time spent might also acquire the actual skills involved in playing, (assuming players from day one manage to hit a point of stasis and acquire no new skills at a certain point in their playing career...the proverbial longshot). And, as far as the difference in wealth generated, as there is no ISK cap, it's nothing a few hundred PLEX wouldn't solve, considering the time lag involved.

What Tippia fails to mention is the likelihood of this constellation of events happening. It's rather chauvenistic to say the least to offer such optimism so open-handedly. However, like all things on the internet, you shouldn't be ready to believe what you read.

That whooshing sound you heard? Yeah that was the point Tippia was making flying over your head.

@the OP:
You don't "catch up" in Eve. You train to fly what you want to fly, and you train to fly it well. Once you have a skill to level 5 you and that bittervet in the corner are equal in terms of the benefits that skill will give you.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-06-03 17:07:58 UTC
there is no "catch-up" in EVE for a simple reason: there is no level 6 in the skills.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Paranoid Loyd
#24 - 2014-06-03 17:10:40 UTC
Xavier Holtzman wrote:
What do you mean by "catch up"?

Three tomatoes are walking down the street pappa tomato, mamma tomato, and a little baby tomato.Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him... and says, "Catch up"

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#25 - 2014-06-03 17:16:27 UTC  |  Edited by: DaReaper
Eve's skill tree is more like real life then any other mmo.

When you pick up a new skill or hobby, like guitar for example, do you sit here and complain that you are not catching up to the caliber of say Jimmy Hendrix fast enough? No you don;t.

People specialize in eve, and because of both the skills they trained, and the time they took to horn there craft, be it mining, industry, mission running, or pvp, they should be better then you. But in a short period of time, you can be just as good if not better then they are.

Again the guitar, your skill set is how you learn where to put your fingers and what string does what. Experience and practice teaches you timing and how to arrange the cords to make a song.

Same with eve, the skill set lets you use the tools then you playing and doing things makes you better.

All this complaining about 'whaaa he has 200m sp and i have 1m i'll never catch up!' is the wrong mentality, and maybe you should head back to theme park game.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

McRoll
Extraction and Exploration Ltd.
#26 - 2014-06-03 17:22:38 UTC
Now I thought up a good answer and the dude above me already formulated itX

Basically I wanted to say the same: if you are a PvP'er and complain that a vet kills your frig in his frig, there is a simple solution: stick to fights with similar old people and avoid the vet until you have accumulated enough skill points. Just like real life, you dont take part in a karate tournament if you are running around with a yellow belt. You stick to training with your buddies. Embrace that mindset in Eve and suddenly you dont have to "catch up" anymore.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#27 - 2014-06-03 17:24:31 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
Can there be a constructive discussion on how EvE skill system can evolve and grow?

No there can not.

Why? Because if 99% of the player base has zero issues with the skill tree, and its just the new blood coming in thats whining, then there is no constructive discussion. to make eve grwo, because you ate minority. Adapt to eve or die.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Mr Pragmatic
#28 - 2014-06-03 17:30:38 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
In a previous thread Tippia said new players can "catch up" in no time. Please explain. Given the skill system a new player will never catch up to a vet until the point where all skills are trained.

If you are talking about specific skills, say a racial frigate with all modules trained to 5, sure. But by the time the new guy gets this done the vet is already trained or on their way to training cruisers to 5. The new guy is not catching up, they are falling behind in a different area.

And in no way does the skill system reward playing well.

Bitter vets say the skill system works. New people post looking for a way to catch up or to be rewarded for good play. Can there be a constructive discussion on how EvE skill system can evolve and grow?

Talipia is a flawless player and should never be doubted.

That being said, you can catch up in the same areas as other players. It's not like he can train frigate 10. Also you can only be in one ship at a time.

Super cali hella yolo swaga dopeness.  -Yoloswaggins, in the fellowship of the bling.

Ashwind Houssa
Therapists Inc
#29 - 2014-06-03 17:31:33 UTC
Not a surprise that long termers have no problem with new players being food.

Sure, as a new player I can max out frig skills in a year. However if I focus my skills solely on frigs I will be stuck running low level missions until my skills make me not completely outclassed.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but the long termers acting like it isn't a huge hurdle to overcome is a part of the problem. Then again, given how many multi year accounts I see only farming new people, it seems a design decision.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-06-03 17:36:21 UTC
Ashwind Houssa wrote:

Nothing wrong with that per se, but the long termers acting like it isn't a huge hurdle to overcome is a part of the problem.

It's not our fault we can do math.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Mario Putzo
#31 - 2014-06-03 17:41:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
There isn't catch up because there isn't really a falling behind. Every skill and every ship, and every module has its uses, some are available within a few days, others take months/years to get to. They aren't necessarily better or worse, just have different applications.

A T1 Pirate Frig with Pirate Faction fittings is going to give a T2 Frig with T2 fittings a decent run, the difference you can fly that T1 Frig in a couple weeks, to fly the T2 Frig you need a month or two of training. The great equalizer is pilot skill, not skill points. If you learn the fundamentals of the ships you can fly, and what that ship can work against, you can do quite a lot as a new player, even out of the box.

And that is what separates EVE from games like WoW. There actually is a strong skill factor involved, you can have 100M SP and not have any idea of why you fit ships or fly them a certain way. (F1 Monkeys). Or you can have 10M SP sit in a nice T1 Frig and poses the actual mechanical understanding of how to fly your ship and maximize its effectiveness.

Bigger isn't always better.
Reiisha
#32 - 2014-06-03 17:45:17 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
In a previous thread Tippia said new players can "catch up" in no time. Please explain. Given the skill system a new player will never catch up to a vet until the point where all skills are trained.

If you are talking about specific skills, say a racial frigate with all modules trained to 5, sure. But by the time the new guy gets this done the vet is already trained or on their way to training cruisers to 5. The new guy is not catching up, they are falling behind in a different area.

And in no way does the skill system reward playing well.

Bitter vets say the skill system works. New people post looking for a way to catch up or to be rewarded for good play. Can there be a constructive discussion on how EvE skill system can evolve and grow?

Player A has 100m skillpoints but never bothered to train t2 cruisers.

Player B has 50m skillpoints and has nearly maxed out skills to fly HACs and HICs.

Player A has 200m skillpoints but literally no science or industry skills.

Player B has 50m skillpoints and has several areas of research and industry maxed out.

Now for a more poignant example:

Player A has 200m skillpoints and has all science skills at level 5.

Player B has 50m skillpoints and is maxed out for flying HACs.

How exactly do those 150m skillpoints of player A help in a fight against player B?

And to top it off:

Player A has 200m skillpoints and has never undocked in his entire EVE career.

Player B has 50m skillpoints and has been PVP'ing nonstop since he started.

According to the OP's logic, player A always wins because he has more SP and thus 'cannot be caught up with'.

As i said in the other thread, actual skill isn't measured in a stat.

Should i go on? I would hope my point is clear. Skillpoints allow you to diversify later on in your EVE career. They are not a measure of skill or progress. Beat that into your head: Skillpoints are not a measure of skill or progress.

If you for some reason are trying to convince yourself that they are (and it seems like you do), EVE is not the game for you.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Thius Taxus Thellere
Blueprint Mania
#33 - 2014-06-03 17:49:23 UTC
Don't worry about "catching up" Just enjoy the journey. It's a game.
Josef Djugashvilis
#34 - 2014-06-03 17:50:12 UTC
Ashwind Houssa wrote:

Sure, as a new player I can max out frig skills in a year. However if I focus my skills solely on frigs I will be stuck running low level missions until my skills make me not completely outclassed.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but the long termers acting like it isn't a huge hurdle to overcome is a part of the problem. Then again, given how many multi year accounts I see only farming new people, it seems a design decision.

Maxed skilled frigates tend to go well with, oh, let me think...pvp Smile

This is not a signature.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#35 - 2014-06-03 17:59:35 UTC
Thius Taxus Thellere wrote:

Said no thempark mmo developer or player EVER Big smile

That's a big point though. People who really enjoy EVE are the kinds of people who aren't in any hurry to get to the "end game" so to speak, where as the traditional (by today's standards) MMO player is looking to skill up as soon as possible so they can 'catch up' to older players.

You see it all the time among the PVE community and forums. People RUSHING into battleships they aren't trained for to run lvl 4 missions they aren't prepared for, only to then see that play ***** and moan about how unfair the game is because it takes too long to get to the "good stuff". It's gotten so bad that now INCURSION COMMUNITIES have SP requirements like null sec corps do lol.

It boils down to the fact that most people are just too impatient to ever like something like EVE. most quit, some stay around and complain, begging CCP to give them things like 'faster skill progression if I use the skill" and such. Point blank, CCP should add a pop up in installation saying "theme park players need not apply" lol.

Being a person who needs the things that regular thempark MMOs have and thern choosing to play EVE is like being a dude whose favorite book is Das Kapital who chooses to play a game called 'Reganomics Online' (known as 'Thatcher's Revenge' in the UK)...then complains about all the damn economic inequality in the game....Twisted
Bael Malefic
Doomheim
#36 - 2014-06-03 18:00:52 UTC
You will finally "catch up" when the veteran players ahead of you unsub finally as they are consumed by bitterness at the futility of it all, at which point you will realize you have become one of the very bittervets you once despised.

But seriously, this:

Thius Taxus Thellere wrote:

There are things about Eve that kind of rock as a newbie. Then you get into other things as you gain experience and ability. Kind of like life, there are aspects to enjoy that change as you go along.
Ashwind Houssa
Therapists Inc
#37 - 2014-06-03 18:02:29 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Ashwind Houssa wrote:

Maxed skilled frigates tend to go well with, oh, let me think...pvp Smile

Correct. But what should a new player do for the two months required to get competent skills in Gunnery, Navigation, Engineering, and Targeting?

Level 1 missions? Or should they just buy plex to fund the huge amount of frigs they will lose in their first 60 days of play?

Any game that requires you to be cannon fodder for the first months of play is a bad system.

If someone wants to play against people instead of against mindless and repetitive AI, they are best served by either starting an account and not playing for some months to allow skills to train, or buying an account at the cost of several hundred dollars.

I understand that people who sell toons, and those who feed off of noobs have no interest in changing that system. I don't pretend that I know enough about it to say it needs changing. I will say that it is needlessly difficult for new players to get into though, and that is problematic.

Ohhhh Feely Nice
Feely Good Logistics
#38 - 2014-06-03 18:05:35 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Xavier Holtzman wrote:
What do you mean by "catch up"?

Three tornadoes are walking down the street pappa tornado, mamma tornado, and a little baby tornado. Baby tornado starts lagging behind. Poppa tornado gets angry, goes over to the baby tornado, and instablaps him... and says, "Catch up"

ftfy
Dave Stark
#39 - 2014-06-03 18:07:18 UTC
Ashwind Houssa wrote:

that isn't a flaw with the skill system, that's a flaw with you thinking that you've got to run missions.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#40 - 2014-06-03 18:09:23 UTC
Ashwind Houssa wrote:

Correct. But what should a new player do for the two months required to get competent skills in Gunnery, Navigation, Engineering, and Targeting?

Level 1 missions? Or should they just buy plex to fund the huge amount of frigs they will lose in their first 60 days of play?

Any game that requires you to be cannon fodder for the first months of play is a bad system.

If someone wants to play against people instead of against mindless and repetitive AI, they are best served by either starting an account and not playing for some months to allow skills to train, or buying an account at the cost of several hundred dollars.

I understand that people who sell toons, and those who feed off of noobs have no interest in changing that system. I don't pretend that I know enough about it to say it needs changing. I will say that it is needlessly difficult for new players to get into though, and that is problematic.

But it isnt

Its the fact that not enough vets want to help train new players thats the problem

Plus the inherent "dont trust anyone" clause.

But hey, if a couple of 400,000isk frigates a day is too much to replace without Plexing, I dont think the flaw is with the system at all. They should probably read the mining tutorials or try doing some Level II missions.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Previous page123Next page