These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Definition of a solo player in Eve

Author
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#61 - 2014-06-03 14:47:31 UTC
A solo player plays for themselves and no one else.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#62 - 2014-06-03 14:57:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Someone who does not play or work well with others

Often uses multiple alts for various roles and to "puffball" their solo corp to look bigger

However, may operate exclusively in NPC corps to avoid wardecs

That may be correct for some solo players, but there are numerous players, I being one of them, that do not have the RL time to dedicate themselves to others. When we do we seems like we are slackers because when we are able to log on we have a hard time coordinating with other associated players in an industrial corp and therefore hold the group back. That or we are in a pvp corp and spend our minimally available time sitting in station waiting for the FC's to get their stuff straight or for the enemies to get their stuff together...so to speak.

EDIT: I do not need additional content or anything directed at 'me' as a solo player. I am completely capable to play solo within the limits set fourth by the game's design.
Zander Kumamato
The Chaos Void
#63 - 2014-06-03 14:58:01 UTC
Dominus Tempus wrote:
Solo Player: Somebody who doesn't realize that they are playing a multiplayer game.

Realized it was a multiplayer game when I signed up then treated it like a solo player after interacting with you people.
Amenity Project
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#64 - 2014-06-03 15:21:15 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
A solo player plays for themselves and no one else.

I agree and admit that I do like to play with myself sometimes...
Moth Eisig
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2014-06-03 15:46:08 UTC
Saisin wrote:
A solo player chooses to not join player's controlled entities, and build their own in-game income without relying on others or paying taxes to any players' controlled entity.

Solo players have no instantaneous access to alliances or corp's intel.
The nature of the game push them to have a few alts for scouting, and possibly multiboxing multiple accounts.
They are looking for challenges they estimate they can survive with their existing assets, putting their own skins and assets on the line in an environment that is more favorable to bigger groups. They are probably a little paranoid as well as liking tough challenges.

They most likely fall under the profiles of Freedom Fighters or Bounty Hunters established by CCP.
They are still interacting with the other players as needed to fulfill the goals they have established for themselves in Eve Online.

+1. I do not want to be beholden to any large entities, and I like the challenge of relying on my own resources (which do not currently include any alts, though I may at some point train an alt to pilot an Orca to base my exploration from).

DaReaper wrote:
Someone who does not join a corp, doesn't chat or talk, someone who just plays the game as if it was a single player game.

These are the people who bounce. No interaction in anyway with anyone.

Playing Eve as if it were a single player game is not possible. Mining in an NPC corp in hisec is still competing with other players for resources and in the market. Sitting in a station doing nothing but .01ing market orders is still interacting with other players even if you never say a word to them. Also, going by CCPs numbers, I think you underestimate the amount of solo players that stick around.
Doreen Kaundur
#66 - 2014-06-03 15:55:33 UTC
solo player: a masterbator.

[center]1. Minor navigation color change. 2. Show bookmarks in the overview.[/center]

Sul Glass
Fat Dragon Mining Co.
Darwinism.
#67 - 2014-06-03 16:07:42 UTC
"Trying to solo EVE Online is like trying to solo Facebook." -- Torfi Frans Olafsson.

Stuff like this made me try to play eve solo. I never looked back . I fly 95% of the time in low or Null and 99.9% alone. No alt. I flew solo for 5 years then in a corp for a week and am now back solo again. I love flying solo and enjoy most aspects of Eve. I have had an Alt but stopped that. I have been in alliance and flown in fleet battles, partaken in most usual forms of PVP (not very well) and lots of other eve stuff with friends. But I keep coming back to simply me and my ship.

Pluses of solo for me:

I am an introvert.
I have a stressful job, often dealing with people at tough times in their life so the quiet spaces of low/null flying solo really helps me relax.
All my income is mine :) and I am incredibly rich :)
I can chat to eve friends when I want to. (not because I have to, forming fleet or whatever.)
I don't have to interact with idiots, though they often try and "interact" with me.
I don't have to wait to do anything, I just go and do it. I make mistakes and I learn, they are my mistakes and my lessons.
I do not give two hoots about my kill-board (which would not be true in a corp). From day one I realised that I am immortal. Losing ships is the cost of doing business.
I can watch a film /listen to music most of the time.
I serve as a constant reminder that there is more than one way to "play" eve and both enjoy it and be successful.

I have some great eve friends, the best of whom leave me alone most of the time. If you see me please do the same.

Sul

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#68 - 2014-06-03 16:08:47 UTC
Doreen Kaundur wrote:
solo player: a master baiter.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#69 - 2014-06-03 16:10:53 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:

That may be correct for some solo players, but there are numerous players, I being one of them, that do not have the RL time to dedicate themselves to others. When we do we seems like we are slackers because when we are able to log on we have a hard time coordinating with other associated players in an industrial corp and therefore hold the group back. That or we are in a pvp corp and spend our minimally available time sitting in station waiting for the FC's to get their stuff straight or for the enemies to get their stuff together...so to speak.

I wasnt trying to be negative, I was pointing out solo players dont play with others. It may also be the case that some dont work well with others (like me), but you can still be plenty gregarious and still be solo, nothing wrong wiht that either.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Fendro Galbani
State War Academy
Caldari State
#70 - 2014-06-03 16:27:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Fendro Galbani
Solo player:
A person who prefers to act alone and do things by him/herself.
Someone who might even refuse to do things in a group or team if asked. (*)

Sort of a lone wolf type.

(*) This made me think... I have also seen lots of times in RL that people prefer to do everything (by) themselves, whereas they should be working in a team considering the amount of work and the schedule. => That is a control issue.
I wonder if it is the same in EvE or if here it has more to do with shyness. EDIT: or indeed just wanting to relax..
Serene Repose
#71 - 2014-06-03 16:31:26 UTC
There ain't no way you can play a solo game in EVE. The only way you can truly "solo" is to sit in your station spinning your tutorial ships with admiration. Buy that first bullet, first drone, first anything and you're multi-playing.

It's a lot like, even if you decide not to decide, you made a decision.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#72 - 2014-06-03 16:45:47 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:

Well, we may disagree on many things, but I see we both like Rush

Sweet

Leafar Nightfall
Silent Owls
#73 - 2014-06-03 16:49:16 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
There ain't no way you can play a solo game in EVE. The only way you can truly "solo" is to sit in your station spinning your tutorial ships with admiration. Buy that first bullet, first drone, first anything and you're multi-playing.

I don't see why people are struggling to understand what "solo" means in this context
Of course no one is able to play eve 100% "foreveralone". But in a game that greatly values group work, big corporations and fleets, the fact that you don't have those things by option makes you a solo player.

Solo is not alone
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#74 - 2014-06-03 19:02:00 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:

I wasnt trying to be negative, I was pointing out solo players dont play with others. It may also be the case that some dont work well with others (like me), but you can still be plenty gregarious and still be solo, nothing wrong wiht that either.

The first sentence of your quote said directly and with broad sweeping strokes that we can not and do not work well with others. If that is not a negative I am not sure what is. I am completely able to work well with others in real life. I work in a physical therapy clininc and work one on one with severly disable individuals, traumatic brain injuries, cancer, stroke.... as well as work in unison with doctors, therapists and administration. I am also a father with 50-50 joint custody and a FUBARED work schedule. It is a time constraint issue purely and has nothing to do with my ability to socializ and/or cooperate with others. The phone game I play, Parallel Kingdom (very close to EvE I may add) I work in groups as it is a much more casual friendly game....unless your kingdom is at war, and even then combat there is much more fluid then in EvE.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#75 - 2014-06-03 19:07:32 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:

The first sentence of your quote said directly and with broad sweeping strokes that we can not and do not work well with others. If that is not a negative I am not sure what is. I am completely able to work well with others in real life. I work in a physical therapy clininc and work one on one with severly disable individuals, traumatic brain injuries, cancer, stroke.... as well as work in unison with doctors, therapists and administration. I am also a father with 50-50 joint custody and a FUBARED work schedule. It is a time constraint issue purely and has nothing to do with my ability to socializ and/or cooperate with others. The phone game I play, Parallel Kingdom (very close to EvE I may add) I work in groups as it is a much more casual friendly game....unless your kingdom is at war, and even then combat there is much more fluid then in EvE.

Im trying to apologise if it came across as that way as that was not intended

My syntax may have been off, I meant it to be read as "Does not play with others OR does not work well with others"

Im sorry if I worded it badly, but I also dont know why you are having a go at me, all I did was write something a little badly, some people in here call solo players much much worse things.

And I already admitted I dont work well with others

Writing an easily misconstrued comment and annoying you without meaning to at all should be evidence enough of that!

So, in short, I am genuinely sorry if I offended you with my comments, it was purely by accident

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#76 - 2014-06-03 19:16:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Im trying to apologise if it came across as that way as that was not intended

My syntax may have been off, I meant it to be read as "Does not play with others OR does not work well with others"

Im sorry if I worded it badly, but I also dont know why you are having a go at me, all I did was write something a little badly, some people in here call solo players much much worse things.

And I already admitted I dont work well with others

Writing an easily misconstrued comment and annoying you without meaning to at all should be evidence enough of that!

So, in short, I am genuinely sorry if I offended you with my comments, it was purely by accident

I thought my responses were fairly congenial. No offense was taken as I know who and what I am. I am just giving examples from my situation as I feel that they are much more common then many players believe. Plus, I missed the post where you admitted to prefer playing solo. That is something you should have said in your first post considering the topic of the thread to be honest.

So considering you have admitted to prefer playing solo; do you use alts to bolster your corps numbers? Do you use your NPC corp to duck war decks? If not then you should just go ahead and edit your first post. Just saying. Not angry or upset. Just expressing my point of view.
Mike LeRoi
Corp of the Shadowmen
#77 - 2014-06-03 19:20:50 UTC
Me. Call me what you want, I enjoy running missions alone. I have no problem if some one wants to tag along though. You are never alone in New Eden anyway. So, what's the question again?
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#78 - 2014-06-03 19:30:07 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:

I thought my responses were fairly congenial. No offense was taken as I know who and what I am. I am just giving examples from my situation as I feel that they are much more common then many players believe. Plus, I missed the post where you admitted to prefer playing solo. That is something you should have said in your first post considering the topic of the thread to be honest.

So considering you have admitted to prefer playing solo; do you use alts to bolster your corps numbers? Do you use your NPC corp to duck war decks? If not then you should just go ahead and edit your first post. Just saying. Not angry or upset. Just expressing my point of view.

In regards to bolstering numbers, yes (You can meet my extended family in another thread if you like, I think its called "What PLEX means to me" or some thing (they all came around when I called them inbred hicks).

And no to the NPC ducking.

Pretty sure I said "may", meaning not everyone does this

Ohhhh Feely Nice
Feely Good Logistics
#79 - 2014-06-03 20:00:54 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:

Your posting style on these forums does not at all make this obvious.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#80 - 2014-06-03 20:02:50 UTC
Ohhhh Feely Nice wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:

Your posting style on these forums does not at all make this obvious.

Im just not a people person

Im more of a sociopath, though thats probably a bit grandiose for what I really am

Im kinda happy though that something about me really brings out the hate in others