These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PvE Typhoons?

Author
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#1 - 2014-05-19 22:25:35 UTC
So I'm back from quite a long break and I find that the split bonus Minmatar ships have been fixed.* Hooray!

Looking at the Typhoon in particular, it's got a bonus to launcher ROF and explosion velocity. Given the ridiculously long range of cruise missiles, it seems like a Cruise Typhoon for PvE would be better in every way than a Cruise Raven; the Raven's range bonus is wasted, and the 'Phoon's EV bonus helps with damage application. I don't see it being much different with torps: the range bonus could be useful, but the 'Phoon is fast enough to help compensate for it, and that EV bonus would really shine with torps (especially if you coupled them with a target painter).

Aside from the slot layout being more conducive to armor tanking (and sheer stubbornness), is there any reason at this point to use a Raven over a 'Phoon for PvE?

(Of course, with the "new to me" drone range/tracking bonus on a Domi I think a Sentry Domi would likely be better than either of them, but that's another matter entirely. Twisted)

*Except the Typhoon Fleet Issue. Sigh. I guess they couldn't all get fixed....

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

McRoll
Extraction and Exploration Ltd.
#2 - 2014-05-19 23:15:17 UTC
Best would be Navy Domi. Sentries + Railguns and all the lows filled with drone damage augmentors and magstabs. It puts out around 1200-1250 DPS easily, assuming T2 fit. Normal Domi is slightly worse because it has trouble fitting a full rack of 425's, but probably only around 100 DPS less with a worse tank. Typhoon would be around 950 with cruises and sentries. Raven...well not that impressiveUgh 600 DPS with 3 BCU's.

So yeah, if you got good drone skills no reason to use Raven.
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#3 - 2014-05-20 00:25:02 UTC
McRoll wrote:
Best would be Navy Domi. Sentries + Railguns and all the lows filled with drone damage augmentors and magstabs. It puts out around 1200-1250 DPS easily, assuming T2 fit. Normal Domi is slightly worse because it has trouble fitting a full rack of 425's, but probably only around 100 DPS less with a worse tank. Typhoon would be around 950 with cruises and sentries. Raven...well not that impressiveUgh 600 DPS with 3 BCU's.

Your numbers for the Typhoon and Raven are extremely low. With a decent fit you can get:

1239dps@30km or 1139@80km with a T2 fit Typhoon (with a cheap DG X-Large Booster)

978dps@80km or 888dps@122km with a T2 fit Typhoon (with a cheap DG X-Large Booster)

The Typhoon needs good sentry skills as well so it's far more skill intensive, but if you have the skills it's definitely a better option than a Raven IMO. A little bit more work to fly as you have to deal with sentry aggro and you get less tanking slots, but it can achieve better completion times than a Raven can on most missions.
McRoll
#4 - 2014-05-20 10:14:56 UTC  |  Edited by: McRoll
Yeah the numbers for the Phoon are for sentries and normal T1 cruise ammo, you can get more ofc if you use heavies and T2 ammo and/or add some bling - cannot cover all configurations. Raven was just the launchers + 3 BCU without drones. Still very low, I consider everything under 800 DPS a waste of time for missions.

What would be interesting is whether you can make a torp phoon viable. It has explosion velocity bonus and you can get the torps at around 30 km range for T1. Still debatable if its worth it. Cannot outmatch the Domi, no matter how you try, because the drones are unbonused and in missions you often have more small stuff than big stuff, thats why I always preferred guns over missiles, way more comfortable to blap frigs at range.
Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-05-20 17:39:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Incindir Mauser
Bronson Hughes wrote:
So I'm back from quite a long break and I find that the split bonus Minmatar ships have been fixed.* Hooray!

Looking at the Typhoon in particular, it's got a bonus to launcher ROF and explosion velocity. Given the ridiculously long range of cruise missiles, it seems like a Cruise Typhoon for PvE would be better in every way than a Cruise Raven; the Raven's range bonus is wasted, and the 'Phoon's EV bonus helps with damage application. I don't see it being much different with torps: the range bonus could be useful, but the 'Phoon is fast enough to help compensate for it, and that EV bonus would really shine with torps (especially if you coupled them with a target painter).

Aside from the slot layout being more conducive to armor tanking (and sheer stubbornness), is there any reason at this point to use a Raven over a 'Phoon for PvE?

(Of course, with the "new to me" drone range/tracking bonus on a Domi I think a Sentry Domi would likely be better than either of them, but that's another matter entirely. Twisted)

I've been playing around with a Typhoon for doing L4's. The only problem I've had is with Serpentis rats. The 'Phoon doesn't have a lot of range to begin with and you can get damped down pretty hard.

Against anything else the Typhoon is a pretty good missioning ship.

I fit mine with a MWD, or AB+MJD, and full rack of cruises. One XL DG booster in the mids with two mission specific hardeners. I typically have one mid slot open for utility, extra tank. 3 BCU's in the lows, with dual Nanofibers, DCU 2 or and a sensor boosting low slot thingy... can't remember the name of it. Gives a little extra range. I played around with the rigs. I think I settled on one rigor, a prop rig, and shield/fitting rig.

I take two flights of Hammerheads and a flight of Hobs to deal with annoying frigates.

Basically warp in to the pocket, pulse your MWD and kite the damage from the rats while spitting cruises at the BS's and kiting everything else. Once all the BS's are dead, I mop up the small stuff with the drones. If you get webbed or scrammed and start taking damage, I just warp out of the pocket, repair, and come back. Doesn't happen too often.

Alternatively with the MJD+AB you can basically do the same thing, agro a pack, MJD away, pelt with missiles, kill small stuff with drones when it gets close.

The Phoon is really brittle but you can get close to 1200 DPS out of them. I prefer to do less damage and capitalize on how fast it is compared to other BS hulls. The only other BS (that I know of) hull that is faster is the Machariel.
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2014-05-20 18:17:17 UTC
I used an armor tanked typhoon for years running level 4s. Cruise missiles, target painter and plenty of medium and light drones. Use the ship's speed to your advantage and keep in that sweet spot where you can hit their ships but they can't hit you.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#7 - 2014-05-20 19:54:58 UTC
McRoll wrote:

He asked about a Typhoon, not a TFI. If we're including Navy fits in the mix, TFI blows the Navy Domi out of the water, in no way is it "best".

If you have a lot of money for the tank and a lot of drone skills I can give you some TFI fits. You can easily fit a sensor booster in the mid, and one in the low if you really need it.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

McRoll
#8 - 2014-05-21 08:43:34 UTC  |  Edited by: McRoll
The question is whether you can apply that paper DPS on the Phoon. In the Domi you can for sure.

The drones on the Phoon are unbonused and you always lose a fraction of the DPS with missiles if you shoot smaller and/or fast moving targets. Flying to targets takes time if you are talking about torps and heavy drones.

I too can make a fit that surpasses the DPS of the Domi, but is it practical? Post some fits and let us see.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#9 - 2014-05-21 08:53:00 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

The Fleet Typhoon has 8.75 effective launchers and 9.6 effective turrets. I dont know how much more fixing you think it needs.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#10 - 2014-05-21 09:40:42 UTC  |  Edited by: The Djego
Malcanis wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:

The Fleet Typhoon has 8.75 effective launchers and 9.6 effective turrets. I dont know how much more fixing you think it needs.

+1 The fleet phoon is one of the highest dps medium to long range ships, got a very good slot layout and is super flexible with the weapon choice.

Compared to the ravens it needs a lot more micromanagement and missile volley counting/launcher switching. By the slower missiles and handling more weapon systems at once. Also the Raven is easier to fit and tank for newer players and the missile velocity bonus makes it more useful with torps(then again torps are fairly pointless compared to the much longer range, better damage application and "fury vs everything" kind of CS game play nowadays). Probably a lot of people prefer the ease of use of the raven family, while what you can do with the phoons depends a lot on movement, micromanagement and how good you can handle a very light tank.

I see a very good damage projection and application with my fleet phoon compared to my domi. The domi is solid but it loses nearly all dps when you move(the state of heavy drones...) is hard to fit with guns effective(because of the lack of slots for extra TCs) can't really apply full dps(as drones+gun platform) as well.

Here is a small example of how a sentry, CM and projectile fitted navy phoon performs in L4 missions:

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1404/TFI_vs_Blockade%28Angels%29.wmv

Btw.: The name does ring a bell from the forums back in the days, welcome back.

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#11 - 2014-05-21 13:42:56 UTC
The CNR's precision bonus and mighty alpha (and it's 7 mids :p) do make it an extremely relaxing ship to do missions in. You don't really have to pay attention to anything much, including counting volleys because the CMLs go fast enough that they generally hit anything in range before the launchers cycle. Warp in, set course for the gate, blap all the BS with Furies, then blap all the smaller ships with T1. Job done.

The Fleet phoon will put out a good bit more DPS, but all the mission fits that I've seen that produce this DPS look like they're flying on something of a knife edge. So if you want 10-12-15% more ISK/hr and you're prepared to put in 2-3x the atttention to get it, go for it. That's too much work for a tired old man like me.

But then, if you're prepared to actually pay attention to your PvE, then why not get a Nightmare or a Mach and go do Incursions tbh (or a Stratios for lo-sec plexes)?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-05-21 19:26:06 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
The CNR's precision bonus and mighty alpha (and it's 7 mids :p) do make it an extremely relaxing ship to do missions in. You don't really have to pay attention to anything much, including counting volleys because the CMLs go fast enough that they generally hit anything in range before the launchers cycle. Warp in, set course for the gate, blap all the BS with Furies, then blap all the smaller ships with T1. Job done.

The Fleet phoon will put out a good bit more DPS, but all the mission fits that I've seen that produce this DPS look like they're flying on something of a knife edge. So if you want 10-12-15% more ISK/hr and you're prepared to put in 2-3x the atttention to get it, go for it. That's too much work for a tired old man like me.

But then, if you're prepared to actually pay attention to your PvE, then why not get a Nightmare or a Mach and go do Incursions tbh (or a Stratios for lo-sec plexes)?

After playing with a T1 'Phoon last night, it really doesn't take much more micro than a Raven.

Set a LR orbit on an object or slow moving ship, pulse MJD, orbit and blap to your hearts content. Works on everything except Serpentis. I'll buy a Navy "Doom" Phoon and see what I can do with that.

Is a T1 Phoon riding that razor's edge on tank vs. DPS? You betcha.
The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#13 - 2014-05-23 07:17:37 UTC
Incindir Mauser wrote:

After playing with a T1 'Phoon last night, it really doesn't take much more micro than a Raven.

Set a LR orbit on an object or slow moving ship, pulse MJD, orbit and blap to your hearts content. Works on everything except Serpentis. I'll buy a Navy "Doom" Phoon and see what I can do with that.

I think you doing it wrong. The main advantage is the better mobility and the bigger drone bay(use sentry drones), on the fleet phoon bigger drone bay + bonuses turrets. If you use a mjd just use a raven, since you can't utilize the drone bay and turrets anyway at 100km and just end up with more volley counting(because against targets over 50km the first volley will still be in space when the 2. starts, different to the raven where it is about 70km).

The fleet phoon is most effective if you use a mwd, switch around painters a lot and omni scripts. It is kind of a lot micromanagement in reality. On the plus side you nearly never have to count volleys if you move the hull within garde II range anyway.

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#14 - 2014-05-23 11:20:24 UTC
I just use perma-running AB with lights+mediums.
Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2014-05-27 17:50:37 UTC
The Djego wrote:

I think you doing it wrong. The main advantage is the better mobility and the bigger drone bay(use sentry drones), on the fleet phoon bigger drone bay + bonuses turrets. If you use a mjd just use a raven, since you can't utilize the drone bay and turrets anyway at 100km and just end up with more volley counting(because against targets over 50km the first volley will still be in space when the 2. starts, different to the raven where it is about 70km).

The fleet phoon is most effective if you use a mwd, switch around painters a lot and omni scripts. It is kind of a lot micromanagement in reality. On the plus side you nearly never have to count volleys if you move the hull within garde II range anyway.

You would be completely correct. I meant to say pulsing a MWD not an MJD to kite. The T1 Phoon is pretty zippy as it is, I get around 1200 if I leave the MWD running with dual nanos. But in most instances I'm up against Angel mission rats, and Angel BS tracking simply can't cope with the transversal. I barely use my booster on most normal missions. Blockade and Worlds Collide give me a little problem, but it's mostly due to me shooting triggers before I'm ready for the next wave.

Camper101
State War Academy
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-05-28 07:49:14 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

And this is why it is probably the scariest of the Navy BS when you face it in PvP.

2013.03.01 13:30:58 notify For participating in the General Discussion Forum Section your trustworthiness has been adjusted by -2.5000.

My name is Hans. The "L" stands for danger.

Yaoriko
TeamAXE inc.
#17 - 2014-05-28 09:54:52 UTC
Is there any decent fit based on cruise missiles? Or its a NONO without sentry drones?
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#18 - 2014-05-28 19:49:57 UTC
Yaoriko wrote:
Is there any decent fit based on cruise missiles? Or its a NONO without sentry drones?

Change the drones and ammo for specific missions, add ECCM and boosters (sebo) as needed.
Its the only ship I have flown that can tie my Machariel for 20MISK bounty ticks.
1401 DPS with my skills and +3 implants. about 1500 with all 5's. For long range missions, drop the DPS to about 1200 after you swap out drones and one BCU.

And yeah, if you don't micromanage you're out 2 PLEX.
[Typhoon Fleet Issue, TFI Damsel]

Photonic CPU Enhancer I
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Shadow Serpentis Stasis Webifier
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
Gist B-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Gist C-Type Thermic Dissipation Field
Dread Guristas Adaptive Invulnerability Field

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor I
Heavy Diminishing Power System Drain I

Large Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer I
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Large Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Warrior II x10
Hobgoblin II x5
Garde II x5

Those should be inferno missiles for that mission. Didnt feel like swapping stuff in pyfa.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#19 - 2014-05-31 05:20:06 UTC
Yaoriko wrote:

It is about as good as Raven without sentries - although with heavies getting a speed boost in upcoming patch in few days these might be somewhat useful after the Kronos patch. It can still carry quite a number of medium drone waves without sentries. Alternative is to use T1 suicide sentries - just kick em out and leave them to die letting them do (hopefully) some damage in the process.

What I like to use is:
6x Cruise ii 1x small gatling pulse 1x drone control range
1x propulsion 1x drone tracking (or navigation, i guess) and some tank
4x cn bcu 3x drone damage amp ii
2x rigors 1x missile speed

The point of small pulse is to act as a drone trigger (I'm sometimes using more than one of these in a group with other guys drones slaved to one guy) - you can squeeze in also some republic AC, but its mostly on paper dps which is hard to apply without tracing computers and enchanchers. Getting away with split weapon system is kinda okish with dual weapons but using all three systems .. well .. that is tricky, at best. Cheaper faction propulsion can be good idea to conserve a bit of cap, if you are needing it for something (i.e, have regular shield booster or something). Dont be afraid to use ancilliary stuff (if you can afford it cpu wise) or cap injector (instead of drone tracking/navigation) if needed.

I personally prefer to use Bouncer II's for PvE. They have more or less same range as your non-sebo'd locking range.

As pointed out this thing is damn tight on CPU, especially if you start fitting missile rigs. As there is not much options to "save CPU" other than tank if you already go for navy BCU's then that is where I save usually. I'm getting away with pretty basic and non-blingy buffer setup most of the time (navy hulls have quite healthy buffer compared to base BS hulls) but ofc if you end up in trouble then you are in trouble. Another alternative is as posted above, dropping something for a CPU mod and/or going bling-bling in tank. I personally do not believe in Gist stuff as I have yet to see a rat I can tank to death. Navy damage specific hardeners are pretty ok bang-for-buck on the other hand to save some CPU without skyrocketing the setup price. I would suggest keeping the cost of the fitted modules within approx 1 bil ballpark to not paint a target on your hull. I see mission-runners getting ganked on regular basis in mission hubs. Usually Tengus but if you bling a BS hull enough it would be also worth the effort.

Take it with grain of salt. It has been a long while since I have flown only a single ship in a L4 mission. But it works okish for me so far.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

0rch1d
Aggressive Salvage Services LLC
#20 - 2014-05-31 12:39:13 UTC  |  Edited by: 0rch1d
ISK/effort vs. ISK/hour.

The CNR will satisfy all of the former and just enough of the latter, to generally discourage the time, effort and expense required to use (and babysit) something else.

This is why the CNR is as close to a de facto choice for mission-running as you'll see in EVE.

This doesn't mean that someone can't get really good in something else, do it better and open a beer on their way to the gate, wrecks in their wake, but we're talking in broad strokes here.

I'll also note that it's common (especially after Odyssey) to do CNR vs. SNI comparisons.