These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

PLEX - my point of view

First post First post
Author
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#1 - 2014-05-28 05:48:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
NOTE: This is not a regular "PLEX is too expensive - the sky is falling" thread. In fact, I don't mention or deal with the price of PLEX in this post at all.

PLEX has always been a hot topic, so I thought to share my views on it. It doesn't mean that I think this is the general opinion. I know it isn't. You are free to share your own.

I've played a lot of games before EVE. No MMOs, just regular single/multi player games. In every game there are cheat codes which I have used in replays. That was my own rule - to experience the real game before using cheat codes. The most used cheat code is, of course, the one that gives you in-game resources as it makes it easier to bare the re-play (since you already know how the game is going to end).

In eve, the main resource is ISK and PLEX is a "cheat code" with one difference: you pay for your cheat code. Since EVE is a game that doesn't end, I feel that if I buy the PLEX to sell it for ISK, I would effectively use the most powerful cheat that gives me instant resources. I've tried that in just of a couple of games in the past and I simply couldn't get rid of the feeling that I broke the game and that it became too easy.

The second point is that in any other game (still not including MMOs), there is a limit for resources which can not be spent during a normal game session. Once you acquire that amount of resources, you can simply forget about the resources altogether, because there are no more goals that would require you to have more resources. Since you have eliminated resources from your game, there is a feeling that you did everything you can to acquire enough resources to do anything in the game.

EVE is not like that. No matter how much ISK you have, there are always goals that require you to have even more ISK (other than having more ISK per se, of course). There is always that need to set a higher goal and require more ISK, which never ends. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself a carebear. I haven't been able to be much active in the last couple of years, but whenever I am, I either fly solo in low/null or join a PvP alliance (or alliance that has PvP). ISK hoarding is not my thing. I have 2 bil in my wallet after 8 years of playing, and that easily drops to a couple of hundreds of millions at times when I'm actively playing Smile).

The third point is that if I sell PLEX to fill my wallet, I'd effectively eliminate the need for a huge part of gameplay. Basically, anything that produces ISK: industry, exploration, missions, complexes, mining (ok, not mining... mining is doesn't involve any gameplay anyway), PI ... all of that becomes redundant. If I decide to fill my wallet by selling PLEXes, I know that I would always do that, so playing anything that is in the game purely for making ISK would quickly become unjustified for me, since at that point I'd have enough ISK, I'd have an endless source of ISK and I'd always have something else other than making ISK to do in the game. I would distance myself from huge parts of the game. The reason why I started and continued to play EVE is because of its diversity and that diversity would be gone if I start PLEXing my wallet.

For me, the only useful and non game breaking use of the PLEX is to sell a couple of them as an investment which will, by active gameplay, produce more ISK in the future.

TL;DR:
- PLEX is a "cheat code" for giving you game resources;
- There is no limit on the amount of ISK that covers all game's goals that I can have;
- PLEXing the wallet ruins my gameplay experience by making huge parts of the game obsolete;
- For me, PLEX is only useful as an investment that would yield more ISK;

edit: Maybe bad and controversial TL;DR, but if you are interested in the subject, it's all explained in the post. Also, this is NOT, by any means "I hate PLEX" kind of a threadBlink
Ohhhh Feely Nice
Feely Good Logistics
#2 - 2014-05-28 05:52:38 UTC
It's a necessary evil to counter RMTing. Without it people will still "cheat" only without the profits going into game development.
Grunanca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-05-28 05:55:08 UTC
I agree with most of your post. The big problem is that this is an MMO. People will always try to gain an advantage, and if it isnt through plexes, it would just be through RMT from 3rd parties. So plexing is really the lesser of evils. With that said a game is meant to be fun. For some people the part of game required for making isk just isnt fun. I personally mostly passive isk making, but if I wanted more than I make that way, I would personally rather spend 20-30 minutes at work than a whole weekend day grinding isk as that would give me more fun as the boring part would be over fast.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#4 - 2014-05-28 05:55:35 UTC
Ohhhh Feely Nice wrote:
It's a necessary evil to counter RMTing. Without it people will still "cheat" only without the profits going into game development.

I know Smile It has many other intended purposes as well. I'm simply sharing my view from my own perspective as a player.
Haiiro Aurgnet
Celestial Phoenix Industries
#5 - 2014-05-28 05:55:48 UTC
While I understand the point you are getting at.... I dont actually get what point you are actually trying to make

if that makes sense.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#6 - 2014-05-28 05:57:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Haiiro Aurgnet wrote:
While I understand the point you are getting at.... I dont actually get what point you are actually trying to make

if that makes sense.

No point... sharing the view and encouraging others to share their own. Just an interesting and relaxed discussion.
Haiiro Aurgnet
Celestial Phoenix Industries
#7 - 2014-05-28 06:05:28 UTC
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:

No point... sharing the view and encouraging others to share their own. Just an interesting and relaxed discussion.

oh, well in that case:

plex is kinda a cheat, yeah. But, its not that different than any other form of getting isk fast. Look at scammers. they barely do more than post a few fraudulent offers in local. are they cheating? miners can make tons of ISK sitting in a ship all day, are they cheating (obligatory "go away new order, i dont need your sass here"). I wouldn't call it cheating so much as using your resources. Some people can use rl currency to get more isk, and some people can scam poor unsuspecting victims for isk with little effort.

besides, unless youre cheating IRL and stealing cash, you worked for the money you made into a PLEX anyhow
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-05-28 06:10:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
OP, your feelings reminds of me this quote from an Ars Technica article on EVE Online:

Quote:
“Oh, why does that feel so wrong, cheating in my own game?” Petursson asked rhetorically during a presentation at the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas today. The answer, he said, is key to the emotional connection that EVE’s economic systems manage to lend to what are, when it comes down to it, just bits of code on a server somewhere.

In the EVE universe, all of those bits of code represent the time and effort that the game’s players spent organizing into corporations and alliances, mining virtual resources and protecting their investments, Petursson said.

Also, I've always wondered what your name means to you.. as it is mysteriously constructed of consonants and vowels I've never imagined together before. It would be awesome if you could tell us the origin of your name..

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#9 - 2014-05-28 06:11:25 UTC
Haiiro Aurgnet wrote:
Look at scammers.

If you look at it from another perspective, a scammer doesn't always know the outcome of his advert and can't control the time point where he would get ISK from his scheme. Expectations are involved and waiting time for a reward that is ISK. It's a mental game used even in RL as well. Waiting and hoping can produce happiness when the result is presented. Lottery players know that the best.
Karen Avioras
The Raging Raccoons
#10 - 2014-05-28 06:12:31 UTC
- PLEXing the wallet ruins my gameplay experience by making huge parts of the game obsolete;

stop doing it then.
Themanfromdalmontee
EVE RADIO ARMY
#11 - 2014-05-28 06:19:08 UTC

TL;DR:
- PLEX is a "cheat code" for giving you game resources;
- There is no limit on the amount of ISK that covers all game's goals that I can have;
- For me, PLEX is only useful as an investment that would yield more ISK;

- Yes but it doesn't mean you have pressed the i win button
- Therefore selling plex doesn't matter as you will always need more
- Then don't buy plex. Other people may not want to play those parts of the game (mining/manufactoring/ratting etc)
- Thats for you. Other people use it to pay for alt accounts or their own account. Or for ship skins or for clothes etc.

So this is another 'I don't like something so remove it from the game post'.

I don't like scams and the captains quarters, should they be removed from the game, no as that is part of the game.

HTFU on Plex and stop worrying about something that doesn't affect you if you don't buy/use them.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#12 - 2014-05-28 06:21:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Sibyyl wrote:
OP, your feelings reminds of me this quote from an Ars Technica article on EVE Online:

Quote:
“Oh, why does that feel so wrong, cheating in my own game?” Petursson asked rhetorically during a presentation at the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas today. The answer, he said, is key to the emotional connection that EVE’s economic systems manage to lend to what are, when it comes down to it, just bits of code on a server somewhere.

In the EVE universe, all of those bits of code represent the time and effort that the game’s players spent organizing into corporations and alliances, mining virtual resources and protecting their investments, Petursson said.

Also, I've always wondered what your name means to you.. as it is mysteriously constructed of consonants and vowels I've never imagined together before. It would be awesome if you could tell us the origin of your name..

Thanks for the link... I'll read it later.

edit: You hit it right on the spot Smile

ONE TIME OFF-TOPIC REPLY (per request) Smile:
I'll post (if I haven't already... need to check) the name explanation on that thread and here as well: It's not English - it's Serbian. It means "Antichrist's Apprentice". It's not religion based, but rather have roots in high-tech. I've read somewhere that the Antichrist would be a man who could create anything that God creates, but that his creations would be artificial and without a soul. When I started playing I was studying Artificial intelligence in software engineering. Eve is also a game where you are actively creating something in a virtual universe, so each player is a creator. I didn't want to name my character as a singular entity that would rule out other players/creators, so I've added "Apprentice". Blink
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#13 - 2014-05-28 06:27:38 UTC
Rich people get advantages the rest of us work hard to call equality

Welcome to capitalism

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#14 - 2014-05-28 06:30:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Themanfromdalmontee wrote:

- Yes but it doesn't mean you have pressed the i win button
- Therefore selling plex doesn't matter as you will always need more
- Then don't buy plex. Other people may not want to play those parts of the game (mining/manufactoring/ratting etc)
- Thats for you. Other people use it to pay for alt accounts or their own account. Or for ship skins or for clothes etc.

So this is another 'I don't like something so remove it from the game post'.

I don't like scams and the captains quarters, should they be removed from the game, no as that is part of the game.

HTFU on Plex and stop worrying about something that doesn't affect you if you don't buy/use them.

Ok, I see I need a better TL;DR Smile By the way, I agree with all your points and the explanations of why and how I agree with you are in the original post. This is not, by any means "I don't like PLEX" thread Smile

Ramona McCandless wrote:

Welcome to capitalism

Except in my case, I don't see everything that selling PLEX for ISK gives as an advantage.
Douglas Nolm
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-05-28 06:50:02 UTC
I personally choose to sell plex for isk as my game time is limited to weekends only because I work away from home. I could, if I chose to, spend one day of the weekend working for isk, but I prefer to spend my available time fighting in FW, so a plex or 2 a month keeps me supplied with whatever I need. I don't see it as cheating, just optimising how I get to use my gametime.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#16 - 2014-05-28 06:52:48 UTC

Ramona McCandless wrote:

Welcome to capitalism

Except in my case, I don't see everything that selling PLEX for ISK gives as an advantage.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#17 - 2014-05-28 06:56:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
You said you were repeating the game with cheat codes, and you did know how it will end. In EVE you can repeat the same gameplay and expect mixed results, and its called PvP.
PvE is predictable and CCP could be leaving it in that state for an eternity, because people will in some time go into PvP when they grow some wallet, they will become prey for those who buy plex solely for PvP reasons. Things are happening, people are entertained. Lol

PLEX is like breaking the game without breaking the game (you pay PLEX for ISK that someone is doing, and you dont need to). Its breaking the game a little, when more ISK is made then people are able to consume, but then prices are rising for everything, even minerals and PLEX. Self regulating system, but your ISK in wallet is gradually losing its value with time as prices everywhere rise, so that's why you are hoarding PLEX, to save the value. PLEX prices then could eventually rise more than inflation and its more ISK for people that buy PLEX. As people who buys PLEX from CCP and buys freighter or titan, or pay PLEX to a capital ship pilot for his service, then other player in Tornado can gank this freighter or titan, earn fun and take a part of PLEX in vallue of loot. Lol

Quote:
The third point is that if I sell PLEX to fill my wallet, I'd effectively eliminate the need for a huge part of gameplay. Basically, anything that produces ISK: industry, exploration, missions, complexes, mining (ok, not mining... mining is doesn't involve any gameplay anyway), PI ... all of that becomes redundant.

And you don't need to make your ISK this way if you do not want. By buying PLEX from CCP you can repeat funnier/riskier part od game more often and that means you will risk something more often, eventually losing it, and buying another PLEX, risk is addictive.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#18 - 2014-05-28 06:58:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Ramona McCandless wrote:

Welcome to capitalism

Selling PLEX to get ISK is an advantage if I only look at ISK. It's not an advantage (for me) if I look at how many parts of the game become obsolete (again, for me) if I use PLEX as an ISK source.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#19 - 2014-05-28 07:03:44 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Ramona McCandless wrote:
Welcome to capitalism

Selling PLEX to get ISK is an advantage if I only look at ISK. It's not an advantage (for me) if I look at how many parts of the game become obsolete (again, for me) if I use PLEX as an ISK source.

Sorry Im still not following you

Someone with a lot of Isk has an advantage that someone without any isk has

It doesnt make it impossible to do anything without Isk, it just requires more effort

Solecist Project
#20 - 2014-05-28 07:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Opinions matter. Not.
I hope you feel ashamed about wanting to spread it.

And when parts of the game are obsolete for you,
because you have other ways to make isk,
then you don't really get the point of a game!

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

123Next pageLast page