These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Crashing The New Eden Economy

First post First post
Author
Xenuria
#121 - 2014-05-25 18:58:31 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Oh I love the question 'who owns the sandbox'

It often comes from the same sort of person who tells me that they 'pay my salary' because I am a public employee and so I should do whatever it is they wish.

Easily answered. If CCP decides to shut the doors tomorrow, could we stop them? No?

If we walk away from the game, all of us. Could they leave the servers running anyways? They probably wouldn't but the choice would always be theirs, it is their box, we play in it and pay for the privelege.

We play in their sandbox, they get to say where the edges are. What toys we can bring into the box and what we are allowed to take out of it. I am amazed how much freedom the Eve Market has, how little they actually interfere.

m

Nice False Dichotomy.
It's clear to me that you don't really understand the subject matter and have elected to imitate others with the same ignorance.

The entire EvE sandbox is the result of a relationship between players and CCP. Should you remove either of these two things the sandbox ceases to exist.

Should somebody like me ever attempt to crash the plex market or anything of the sort, 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. CCP will intervene and it will be unavoidably obvious, resulting in mass exodus of players from the game.

2. The market will become very strange and even if it did completely fall apart, the simple fact is EvE will be better for it. A new market will be born in under 48 hrs. As I said before, a true sandbox experience with emergent game-play unlike anything else.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#122 - 2014-05-25 19:07:45 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Who is that you think owns the sandbox?

CCP. It says so right at the bottom.

Quote:
Should somebody like me ever attempt to crash the plex market or anything of the sort, 1 of 2 3 things will happen.

1. CCP will intervene and it will be unavoidably obvious, resulting in mass exodus of players from the game. and everyone will rejoice.

2. The market will become very strange and even if it did completely fall apart, the simple fact is EvE will be better for it. A new market will be born in under 48 hrs. As I said before, a true sandbox experience with emergent game-play unlike anything else.
3. Nothing. It will adjust pretty much instantly and go back to where it was.

In fact, #3 has already happened on a number of occasions, as has the corrected version of #1. So I suppose you're right in a way — one of two things will happen, and your second turn of events isn't one of them.
Dirk MacGirk
Specter Syndicate
#123 - 2014-05-25 19:10:41 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Oh I love the question 'who owns the sandbox'

It often comes from the same sort of person who tells me that they 'pay my salary' because I am a public employee and so I should do whatever it is they wish.

Easily answered. If CCP decides to shut the doors tomorrow, could we stop them? No?

If we walk away from the game, all of us. Could they leave the servers running anyways? They probably wouldn't but the choice would always be theirs, it is their box, we play in it and pay for the privelege.

We play in their sandbox, they get to say where the edges are. What toys we can bring into the box and what we are allowed to take out of it. I am amazed how much freedom the Eve Market has, how little they actually interfere.

m

Nice False Dichotomy.
It's clear to me that you don't really understand the subject matter and have elected to imitate others with the same ignorance.

The entire EvE sandbox is the result of a relationship between players and CCP. Should you remove either of these two things the sandbox ceases to exist.

Should somebody like me ever attempt to crash the plex market or anything of the sort, 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. CCP will intervene and it will be unavoidably obvious, resulting in mass exodus of players from the game.

Sounds like you may want to Kickstart your own game rather than deal with the reality that EVE isn't what you think it is.

You may want to also understand some other little things about PLEX. According to some people I know who hold large stockpiles of PLEX, once you accumulate a certain number you basically are forced to agree to a new set of terms and conditions regarding PLEX. Similar to real-world regulations, this is to protect the market from manipulation. Now I'm not going to debate whether you think real-world markets are protected by regulations or not. I'm just trying to let you know that there are layers of oversight related to the PLEX market in EVE. You may not like that, and that is your right. But oh well. It's their game and we all play here by choice.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#124 - 2014-05-25 19:42:24 UTC
I think someone forgot that sandboxes have walls and come with a fixed amount of sand.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#125 - 2014-05-25 22:33:35 UTC
Thread locked.

The Rules:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)