These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Smuggling Ship

Author
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-05-23 19:39:20 UTC
This stems from the Blockade Runner thread, where the suggestion was made to make Blockade Runners immune to Customs Officials cargo scans.. Thus allowing you to move illicit goods through Empire space without risking fines/standings hit.

I think the current setup with just immune to Cargo Scanners is really fine for the Blockade Runners, so, why not a dedicated Smuggling ship?

Specifically, I'm speaking of a Serpentis Industrial.

Now I selected Serpentis, because they are the "drug" pirate faction.
It would NOT be Immune, I feel that is too powerful and removes all risk from moving illicit goods, but rather would have a reduction in the chance of it being detected..

Something along the lines of..

Gallente Industrial per level:
15% reduction in the chance of customs official detecting illicit goods
Minmatar Industrial per level:
10% increase in ship agility

Give it a small(ish) cargo hold.. lower than the Blockade Runner I'd say..

As for a Roll Bonus.. It was suggested when I mentioned it to some others that it be Interdiction Nullified.. but that seems too powerful to me. I did like the sound of immune to Scram/Disruptor (but not a HIC point), or immune to Stasis Webifier.. Or even something along the lines of 90% reduction in the Effect of Stasis Web..

Given that it's a smuggling ship, I'd give it a decent top sublight and warp speeds.. Normal industrial is 3au/s.. so maybe 6 like the blockade runners.. but a less than stellar tank.

Also I'm torn on making it immune to player scans.. but I'm leaning toward no.. One thought I had was make the bonus to customs officials also apply to player cargo scanners.. that is, at perfect skills, a 75% chance your cargo scan will return nada..

In theory this could be given to all the pirate factions, but I chose Serpentis because they are lore wise the drug faction, smuggling goods around, but I suppose most of the factions, would probably have need of running illicit goods through Empire..

Thoughts ?
DrysonBennington
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-05-24 16:47:24 UTC
I wouldn't say that the ship should be immune to Customs officials unless you had various skills trained to trick the officials into thinking that you were on the up and up at the space port.

Pre-requisites - Social level five, Connections level five, Criminal Connections level five, Diplomacy level five, Negotiations level five.

Custom Official Negotiations - Skill that reduces the chance that a Custom Official ship will scan your ship for illegal contraband near a gate or a station by 9% per level trained up to 40% at level five.

Custom Official Data Center Breach - Changes the owner registry of your ship within the Custom Officials Database to another ship registry that passes through the Custom's Check Point routinely. The registry of your ship is then made to look like the routine ship so that Custom's stops them instead allowing your ship to pass through without being checked. Reduces the chance that a Custom Official ship will scan and confiscate any illegal goods by 10% per level trained up to 50% at level five.

Pre-requisite - Custom Official Negotiations Level Five
Verity Sovereign
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2014-05-24 16:56:27 UTC
What if the chance of detection was tied to your security/faction standing...

Gallente customs agent:
"Oh, look, there is _____, a hero of the Federation"
(glances at scan, does not notice a tiny irregularity)
"Ok, on to the next task"

I would give them a special cargohold that can only take drugs... and it would be really small.
Like many containers used to smuggle IRL with false bottoms and such. Most of the space would be used for "other stuff"

The drug bay would not show up on scans player or customs, but it would be very small in volume (of course, drugs don't take that much volume either).

I don't think it would be good to have players able to transport ships with 10k m3 of drugs. Drugs would be everywhere then, and the only rule would be not to take them across gates, drug consumers would just buy in system/consume what they need before jumping
Bohneik Itohn
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-05-24 16:58:33 UTC
Random chance of failure at avoiding being scanned doesn't really make the ship viable for moving illegal goods through high-sec when you have 30 jumps to make through high sec. You're gonna get caught.

Instead just put a probe scanner on your blockade runner and stay in Low. Check for WH's along your way and cut your trip short by 20-30 jumps in a single stroke when you find a connection just a few jumps away from your destination.

Blockade Runners are quite possibly the only ships that are more useful in low sec than anywhere else in the game.

Low sec is even getting MORE K-K connections with Kronos. There is no reason not to transport like this, it's so easy.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-05-24 17:28:43 UTC
Honestly I would be more interested in seeing the policing of drug smugglers done by players instead of faction police. Have the faction police stop scanning cargo altogether. Then make it so if you scan someone and he's moving drugs, you can activate a suspect timer on him like he had killrights. This would obviously also require a change in the current 'immune to cargo scanners' for blockade runners.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Iain Cariaba
#6 - 2014-05-24 17:34:37 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
Honestly I would be more interested in seeing the policing of drug smugglers done by players instead of faction police. Have the faction police stop scanning cargo altogether. Then make it so if you scan someone and he's moving drugs, you can activate a suspect timer on him like he had killrights. This would obviously also require a change in the current 'immune to cargo scanners' for blockade runners.

A new thing for the FW people to get in on. This is good.
Meandering Milieu
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-05-24 17:40:28 UTC
Maybe I missed it, I am pretty tired, but covops cloak? Otherwise the ship screams gank me, has the same problems as T1 haulers in low/null, and won't make it away from insta lockers in highsec.

Role Bonus: 100% reduction of the CPU need of cloaking devices (same as prospect iirc)
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-05-24 18:26:19 UTC
Remember there used to be a skill to help you run illicit goods.. CCP removed the ability to buy/train it, but it still exists for people that had it trained before the change.. Still think they should bring that back..