These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

If CCP wants more money then why don't they offer more services?

Author
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#161 - 2014-05-23 22:24:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Gully Alex Foyle
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Excellent posts on why plex for pure sp is an issue. What about 1 plex for a cerebral accelerator usable on any character?

(Please note, I'm not advocating this, I'm just curious what people opinions are.)

You're question is two-fold:

1) what about +9 implants in addition to the current +1 to +5 max (iirc), that aren't limited to 14-day old toons anymore?

2) if yes, should we get them for cash (PLEX)?

My opinion:

1) if, after 11 years of training time tweaks, CCP considered speeding up things even further, I'd rather they take away some more of the Lvl V prerequisites (the real timesinks). in this way, they could tune it towards facilitating specific skills/ships/mods. as they recently did for thermodynamics, for example

2) imo, PLEX for anything except vanity items (or other stuff unrelated to game mechanics) is a generally bad idea

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Marsha Mallow
#162 - 2014-05-23 22:28:03 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
You're essentially suggesting to create 1 month of real time out of thin air. Yup, game breaking.

Angelique's math seems solid to me. It's your math that's giving me a headache. If it wasn't already possible to train X number of characters in parallel using PLEX, then you might have a leg to stand on.

Also, game breaking changes are frankly what this 11-year old game needs.

New content can be created without shafting the existing playerbase and the time they've invested. It's only about the money to people like you, and it doesn't surprise me at all that your 'math' agrees.

If you're bored after a long time and think boosting SP acquistion is the answer, you're probably either on your way out and looking for end-game triumph or not considering the wider effects properly. I'd really go with selfish over ignorant motivation here. The more vocal supporters know or have basic awareness of the wider effects, (they just don't care, bags are packed already).

There have been imbalances before, from the creation of bloodlines with enhanced stats (anyone remember the old vid that showed achura as pammie? :P) all of which have been rebalanced, in favour of newer players. Which the existing ones with a brain largely supported, and the old fail grinders whined about (see the recent drone change screeching as an example). Some of you SP grinders pop out from time-to-time to whitter about your 'advantage' and are pretty much slapped about, then you retreat and come back demanding SP boosts. Nope, you're still just mediocre players trying to leverage money/time vs better players/time invested properly.

All you lot want to introduce is a mechanic which would allow some of the dumbest vets - who are likely not very good players in the first place, and have no sense of achievement anywhere else - to finally latch onto something to justify their superiority complex. Not a chance.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#163 - 2014-05-23 22:36:26 UTC
Angelique*: So a character with 40 million SP in 12 months will break eve.
Gully: nobody would notice a single toon among hundreds of thousands, even if he/she had 200Mil SP

Angelique*: But ten characters with 40 million SP in 24 months will not break eve?
Gully: surely not

Angelique*: What if I just started training those last year. Then they would have 40 million SP this year. Does that break Eve?
Gully: surely not

What are you trying to prove, exactly? Big smile

*Nice name, btw, especially since you're roleplaying a Twisted instead

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#164 - 2014-05-23 22:45:04 UTC
Angelique Duchemin wrote:
You can have all the attributes in the world but unless you fed the character its monthly plex then the character won't be learning anything. That goes for single characters on an account and to alts on accounts with multi training.

…and PLEX is still not a factor.
And skipping game mechanics and time is an idiotic idea no matter what.

Quote:
So a character with 40 million SP in 12 months will break eve.
But ten characters with 40 million SP in 24 months will not break eve?

One has skipped the game mechanics and created time out of nowhere. The other has not. Skipping game mechanics, by very definition, breaks the game.
RebelArch Geten
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#165 - 2014-05-23 23:06:17 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Except nowhere was it suggested that CCP sell some sort of "100 million SP bundle" Just an increase to the rate you gain it. A rate that equals the amount of SP added to Eve with the consumption of a plex anyway.
…so spend that PLEX on a second character and accumulate the SP. Increasing the rate you learn — i.e. skipping over the regular game mechanics and altering the rate at which SP is accumulated — is a very bad idea.

Quote:
SP comes from plexes.
No. SP come from training skills at a rate determined by your attributes. PLEX is not a factor (for good reason).

This thread is funny and a huge part of the reason I fell for eve right away. It really is a microcosm of society. Plex is most definitely SP. Time in cost resource. You don't gain SP anyway other than time.

There are 2 basic arguments that is absolutely underneath all the propaganda and fancy arguments everyone tries to sugar coat. Eve is a caste system. There is absolute class domination. I can never have more SP than someone who plays longer than me.

The two arguments: I want to protect my position of dominance I gained from discovering the game first vs. I want a chance to catch up or surpass someone.

I think most of us are in 1st world nations and although it may not be true, a majority of us believe that mobility is a right and when or where a person is born should not put them below any one else. For eve read when you heard about the game and started shouldn't force you to always be below someone else. It's a sense of fairness that is cross cultural.

The idea of paying for more SP also violates this sense of fairness though, bc we don't like money alone getting people advantages.

The real time leveling system is one of eves most attractive features bc of it's uniqueness, and a slick business decision since you can't do a 40hr run and get to lvl 70 in a month and quit from getting everything already. I like the leveling system, but do not fool yourself this business decision is the only reason it exists, not out of some game integrity.

The problem with the system, is as said above it creates a caste system. You can not out work some one in this game. And as far as SPs go, merit means nothing. The solution should be a merit system to gain more SP. No one is paying even more to win, since don't fool yourselves Eve already is a p2w, and it breaks the caste system.

The merit system:
You gain more SP while actively logged in
When you pod someone and they lose SPs you should gain those lost points (interesting all the complaints about SP just being injected into the game out of no where, but SP can be taken out of the game, that affects the balance sheet so why isn't that game breaking?)
Lastly, as not to put a premium on PVP vs other professions, mining, exploration, and industry should have chances of hitting discoveries that award SP on average equal to PVP SP gains.

Think it over then go back to your poorly veiled arguments that protect only your interests.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#166 - 2014-05-23 23:20:11 UTC
You know what, Angelique? My previous reply to BeBop made me further refine my position.

You're proposal is two-fold, too. You're suggesting:

1) CCP should introduce the possibility to double your training time

2) it should cost 1 PLEX / month (on top of sub)

Now, let's consider the current situation, which is:

1) You already can increase your base training time, with tools called 'implants', by roughly 20% maximum with +5s

2) These tools are seeded in game (LP stores), +5s are currently traded for 100Mil each (one time only! not once a month)

So what you're suggestion boils down to is:

a) after 11 years, add a whopping +100% to that +20% max skill training boost, for a grand total of +140%

b) make it available for PLEX instead of by use of an in-game item

c) make it very expensive (700Mil / month is much more than 400Mil one-time only)

I think your suggestion is very bad indeed, because:

a) skill training time is a carefully balanced core EVE mechanic, just doubling it overnight is plain silly

b) everything in EVE being in-game is another core mechanic, a great one actually, I see no good reason to change it

c) making a bad idea expensive doesn't make it good

TL;DR it's not so much about pay or not pay-to-win, it's just a terrible idea that messes up core EVE mechanics for no good reason

Lady Areola Fappington
#167 - 2014-05-23 23:20:13 UTC
RebelArch Geten wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Except nowhere was it suggested that CCP sell some sort of "100 million SP bundle" Just an increase to the rate you gain it. A rate that equals the amount of SP added to Eve with the consumption of a plex anyway.
…so spend that PLEX on a second character and accumulate the SP. Increasing the rate you learn — i.e. skipping over the regular game mechanics and altering the rate at which SP is accumulated — is a very bad idea.

Quote:
SP comes from plexes.
No. SP come from training skills at a rate determined by your attributes. PLEX is not a factor (for good reason).

This thread is funny and a huge part of the reason I fell for eve right away. It really is a microcosm of society. Plex is most definitely SP. Time in cost resource. You don't gain SP anyway other than time.

There are 2 basic arguments that is absolutely underneath all the propaganda and fancy arguments everyone tries to sugar coat. Eve is a caste system. There is absolute class domination. I can never have more SP than someone who plays longer than me.

The two arguments: I want to protect my position of dominance I gained from discovering the game first vs. I want a chance to catch up or surpass someone.

I think most of us are in 1st world nations and although it may not be true, a majority of us believe that mobility is a right and when or where a person is born should not put them below any one else. For eve read when you heard about the game and started shouldn't force you to always be below someone else. It's a sense of fairness that is cross cultural.

The idea of paying for more SP also violates this sense of fairness though, bc we don't like money alone getting people advantages.

The real time leveling system is one of eves most attractive features bc of it's uniqueness, and a slick business decision since you can't do a 40hr run and get to lvl 70 in a month and quit from getting everything already. I like the leveling system, but do not fool yourself this business decision is the only reason it exists, not out of some game integrity.

The problem with the system, is as said above it creates a caste system. You can not out work some one in this game. And as far as SPs go, merit means nothing. The solution should be a merit system to gain more SP. No one is paying even more to win, since don't fool yourselves Eve already is a p2w, and it breaks the caste system.

The merit system:
You gain more SP while actively logged in
When you pod someone and they lose SPs you should gain those lost points (interesting all the complaints about SP just being injected into the game out of no where, but SP can be taken out of the game, that affects the balance sheet so why isn't that game breaking?)
Lastly, as not to put a premium on PVP vs other professions, mining, exploration, and industry should have chances of hitting discoveries that award SP on average equal to PVP SP gains.

Think it over then go back to your poorly veiled arguments that protect only your interests.

Here's a few important concepts to consider.

Level 5 is level 5 in a skill, be it an 03 toon or a 2014 toon.
Skill training time increases exponentially, while the benefit gained increases linearly.
Only the skills applicable to your current ship/setup are used. Any SP in other skills are effectively wasted.

As for your merit system, please, yes implement that. I would adore some free SP. Set up a couple alts, train them to 3-4 in x1 skills, then nuke those alts to apply the SP to x8 skills I'm training (Oh how I hate you, AWU 5 and your 20+ day train time!)

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#168 - 2014-05-23 23:37:29 UTC
RebelArch Geten wrote:
I want to rule New Eden! Like, right now!

Just joking. Lol Btw, this is my main and I have a jaw-breaking total of 15 Mil SP. I still think the game is quite fine the way it is.

Serious question. GSF and PL are arguably the two most powerful alliances in the game, atm. It took them several years to build up their ISK, sovreignty, social connections, out-of-game tools, POSs, sov structures, ships, asset stockpiles, etc. etc.

Do you want some of that at an accelerated rate, too?

Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#169 - 2014-05-23 23:47:27 UTC
I would like some very personal soft massages with a happy ending ,,, please CCP provide me!
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#170 - 2014-05-23 23:52:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
RebelArch Geten wrote:
…and thus, PLEX is not SP. PLEX is not a factor in the speed at which you gain SP. This is a good thing.
I currently sit at some 140M SP. Would you like to guess how many PLEX have been used to achieve this?

Quote:
The problem with the system, is as said above it creates a caste system. You can not out work some one in this game. And as far as SPs go, merit means nothing. The solution should be a merit system to gain more SP.
No.
The beauty of the SP system is that it does not create a caste system, thereby avoiding the trap that pretty much every other MMO ever (except maybe Planetside) has fallen into. The strict limits on how much you can gain, the marginal improvements for exponential cost, and the highly limited amount of ability that can be used any one point all come together to ensure that simply having spent more time offers pretty much zero advantage. What matters is picking the right time to fight the right person on the right terms.

It's most spectacular merit is that it lets you play the game and not care one whit about this irrelevant character progression nonsense. Instead of being stuck in a ball-ache game of meta-mechanics because you get passively punished for not doing so, you can just enjoy the regular game mechanics of whatever activity you like the most and the progression trundles along without you.

A “merit” system (more accurately: a grind system) was actually tried in the early days and, completely unsurprisingly, it failed spectacularly by only ever creating a hideously unbalanced and unfun gameplay. Because that's what it always does. It was then duly excised from the game for being a laughably bad idea and thrown in the trash where it belongs.

Quote:
It's an idiotic grind mechanic that keeps you from playing the game. It is also hilariously exploitable and only manages to highlight your interest in playing character progression, not playing anything that has to do with EVE. May I suggest this for your leisure?
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#171 - 2014-05-24 00:01:23 UTC
Confirming that PLEX-4-SP is probably a bad idea.

Just don't tell me that Toon Bazaar isn't P2W.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#172 - 2014-05-24 00:02:35 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:

It's P2W in the same way that buying a Rokh at Jita IV-4 is P2W.
Marsha Mallow
#173 - 2014-05-24 00:23:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsha Mallow
Carmen Electra wrote:
Confirming that PLEX-4-SP is probably a bad idea.

I have close to 500b invested in the character market. But would never advise a rookie player to buy a character.

I was gearing towards my first tril sometime this year (purely because I can do it uninterrupted for a change with low effort) but people like you distract me. I'm leaning unpleasantly towards death-by-handbag

You need to reconsider your remarks Carmen.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Shawn Aivoras
Doomheim
#174 - 2014-05-24 03:59:19 UTC
i got a better idea,

you get bonus UNSPENT SP FOR ACTIVELY PLAYING THE GAME *honestly only seeing this working mechanically for faction warefare and pve missions/incursions but i am sure CCP can come up with a creative way.

but it would be very very small amount, but it would allow for the moments to jump a skill up, or fill one up after a long time as a bonus.

like lets say it's a 5% bonus for a normal player and for those hardcord eve players who know everything the best way and fastest way at most being a 10% boost from normal sp gains.

and by normal sp gains i assume 20 in the attribute with no implants in the math.

overall not a big way of speeding up SP gains, but a nice bonus to allow you to allocate points and *feel better*
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#175 - 2014-05-24 04:08:08 UTC
Shawn Aivoras wrote:
i got a better idea,

you get bonus UNSPENT SP FOR ACTIVELY PLAYING THE GAME
Being better than “in every way horribly awful” still only elevates an idea to the “in almost every way horribly awful” level.

As mentioned, it was tried. It was also promptly removed since it made for such bad gameplay.
Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#176 - 2014-05-24 04:25:49 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Because when they even suggested it, it leaked, and thousands and thousands of players ragequit and almost bankrupted the company.

My, we do put on airs don't we? While concurrency dropped, it shot right back up again within a very short time. This suggests that thousands and thousands of players did no such thing.

And, I might point out, they suggested a lot of stuff that was pretty much cosmetic, but someone (me) used it and started a shitstorm in the forums about 'gold rounds' and strung a large body of gullible idiots along before it got hijacked by goonswarm.

I kind of wish I hadn't now, because A) it made Goons most epic troll to date possible, and B) I actually like the idea of WiS but found the utter lackluster release of it basically insulting. We had more finished in 2008 than was released in Incarna.
Solecist Project
#177 - 2014-05-24 04:36:20 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Cipher Jones wrote:
Because when they even suggested it, it leaked, and thousands and thousands of players ragequit and almost bankrupted the company.

My, we do put on airs don't we? While concurrency dropped, it shot right back up again within a very short time. This suggests that thousands and thousands of players did no such thing.

And, I might point out, they suggested a lot of stuff that was pretty much cosmetic, but someone (me) used it and started a shitstorm in the forums about 'gold rounds' and strung a large body of gullible idiots along before it got hijacked by goonswarm.

I kind of wish I hadn't now, because A) it made Goons most epic troll to date possible, and B) I actually like the idea of WiS but found the utter lackluster release of it basically insulting. We had more finished in 2008 than was released in Incarna.

Citations needed!

Anyhow.

Passive aggressive introduction.
Unnecessarily aggressive.
Constant struggle for dominance.
Overestimates and exaggerates his importance.
Conspiracy theorist.
Gigantic ego.

Why do people actually talk to you again?

A different tone might show some manners and basic respect for others.

Thanks!

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#178 - 2014-05-24 04:46:15 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Cipher Jones wrote:

My, we do put on airs don't we? While concurrency dropped, it shot right back up again within a very short time.
Not really. It kept dropping for a scarily long time, and shot back up only once they had, not just thoroughly recanted their previously chosen direction, but also provided proof positive that they were going down a very different path.

Quote:
And, I might point out, they suggested a lot of stuff that was pretty much cosmetic, but someone (me) used it and started a shitstorm in the forums about 'gold rounds'
Interesting story. History doesn't really agree, though, since it was CCP that started that by suggesting a lot of stuff that was functional rather than just the cosmetic bits they've promised to restrict themselves to, and even going so far as trying to implement one before the CSM stepped in and explained what a bad idea it was.

If you managed to troll a few goons, good for you. Don't for a second think that you had anything to do with CCP's very explicit and very public missteps in that direction, though.
RebelArch Geten
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#179 - 2014-05-24 05:23:36 UTC  |  Edited by: RebelArch Geten
[/quote]

Quote:
Here's a few important concepts to consider.

Level 5 is level 5 in a skill, be it an 03 toon or a 2014 toon.
Skill training time increases exponentially, while the benefit gained increases linearly.
Only the skills applicable to your current ship/setup are used. Any SP in other skills are effectively wasted.
[/quote]

Then if extra SPs don't matter they can safely be given out with out breaking the game and there is no argument here.

[/quote
Quote:
]As for your merit system, please, yes implement that. I would adore some free SP. Set up a couple alts, train them to 3-4 in x1 skills, then nuke those alts to apply the SP to x8 skills I'm training (Oh how I hate you, AWU 5 and your 20+ day train time!)
[/quote]

If you would want to exploit it that way go for it, and I've got slippery slope arguments about welfare queens and gay marriage leading to bestiality for you to advocate too.
RebelArch Geten
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#180 - 2014-05-24 05:24:59 UTC  |  Edited by: RebelArch Geten
[/quote]
Quote:
…and thus, PLEX is not SP. PLEX is not a factor in the speed at which you gain SP. This is a good thing.
I currently sit at some 140M SP. Would you like to guess how many PLEX have been used to achieve this?[
/quote]

However you want to justify it to yourself you are being hypocritical. You have paid to win. Game length takes money. Whether it was paid with monthly fees, time codes, plexes, or isk, all have a value that is equal to $15, that is equal to a plex, that is equal to isk. You have paid for your 140M SPs. Whether someone pays for it over time or all at once, does not make a difference. One option is no more noble than the other.

I like having a problem to discuss. I am enjoying everyone else's responses and posts. But I do not like you. You are hypocritical, territorial, and rude to everyone who disagrees with. You have 140M SPs that you are presenting like it is an achievement and your only interest has shown to be protecting that status. It's not an achievement. You paid for it. You get x amount of SPs a day, each day cost x amount of some monetary value whichever you are choosing. That status and SPs were paid for, but now you don't want other players to have a chance to pay more than you.

[/quote
Quote:
]No.
The beauty of the SP system is that it does not create a caste system, thereby avoiding the trap that pretty much every other MMO ever (except maybe Planetside) has fallen into. The strict limits on how much you can gain, the marginal improvements for exponential cost, and the highly limited amount of ability that can be used any one point all come together to ensure that simply having spent more time offers pretty much zero advantage. What matters is picking the right time to fight the right person on the right terms.
[/quote]

A caste system is a locked class system where the lower class can never move up above the higher class. The SP system is exactly this. The above argument is nonsensical.

[/quote]
Quote:
It's most spectacular merit is that it lets you play the game and not care one whit about this irrelevant character progression nonsense. Instead of being stuck in a ball-ache game of meta-mechanics because you get passively punished for not doing so, you can just enjoy the regular game mechanics of whatever activity you like the most and the progression trundles along without you.
[/quote]

Then again I must say if SPs don't matter, why protect them so much? How could they be game breaking? Do you just not want other players to experience and be able to try out all the facets of the game?

[/quote]
Quote:
A “merit” system (more accurately: a grind system) was actually tried in the early days and, completely unsurprisingly, it failed spectacularly by only ever creating a hideously unbalanced and unfun gameplay. Because that's what it always does. It was then duly excised from the game for being a laughably bad idea and thrown in the trash where it belongs.

Quote:
It's an idiotic grind mechanic that keeps you from playing the game. It is also hilariously exploitable and only manages to highlight your interest in playing character progression, not playing anything that has to do with EVE. May I suggest this for your leisure?
[/quote]

Pure ad hominem. My fun is wrong bad fun bc it's not the same as your fun. Your insulting other game systems and accusing them of creating the very problem Eve does for others. Yes in WoW a lvl 70 will never lose to a Lvl 10 but that Lvl 10 can play their butt off and surpass a Lvl 69. And straw maning assuming the way I like to play is inferior and therefor not "getting" the game the way it should be. I paid for it. I obviously see whats fun about and I definitely do like that I could find you on the wrong day and possibly pod you if it was the right day for me. I never said Eve had it entirely wrong and needed to be like other games. I acknowledged that their is a ceiling for new players built into the game, that P2W was built into the game, and suggested some ways of making it more accessible to new players who are bothered by this ceiling.

Maybe if you stopped being so territorial about the status you have bought yourself in Eve you would see that the very things you listed as not liking about typical MMOs is what some new players are experiencing in Eve. And maybe if you were considerate of others' fun, you wouldn't occupy yourself with just protecting your position and have valuable input as to how new players could feel less limited and get to enjoy more of a great game.