These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Pop-up message just got me killed because it took over the screen.

First post
Author
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#21 - 2014-05-23 10:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Dub Step wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
How would the text not popping up have saved the ship again?

He couldn't execute cloak/mwd because of the pop-up.

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.

*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quoted post. ISD Ezwal.

There is not enough information there to say even if he was starting it

If he was being ganked, he could have already been pointed, but he doesn't say if he was or was not

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2014-05-23 11:27:17 UTC
Modal windows are highly regarded as the most stupid thing any developer can do on ANY interface except on the confirm exit command.

That is the very first thing anyoen learnign about user iteraction lerns, yet so many still stubbornly put modal windows on thigns that have NO REASON TO BE MODAL!!

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Solecist Project
#23 - 2014-05-23 11:42:24 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Marsha Mallow wrote:
I think chat spam invites were classed as some sort of exploit at one point pre-TiDi because of the pop-ups.

Oh **** this is a good idea. You see someone decloak at a gate, click to yellowbox then send a conversation request immediately.

Edit: If it's a multi-person gate camp then monitor Local for new entrants, wait 55 seconds (if no one appears), and have your group send convo requests.

Whoever jumps to low and waits until the timer runs out does it wrong.

It helps campers get ready, instead of having to be in a hurry.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Solecist Project
#24 - 2014-05-23 11:46:35 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Dub Step wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

If he was being ganked, he could have already been pointed, but he doesn't say if he was or was not

I have to correct you there.

He writes a list of steps.
He clearly states he hit align.
He states the popup popped up (-.-) and that means it prevented him from hitting cloak and mwd.

Also... please... language! :(

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#25 - 2014-05-23 11:56:53 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Solecist Project wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Dub Step wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

I have to correct you there.

He writes a list of steps.
He clearly states he hit align.
He states the popup popped up (-.-) and that means it prevented him from hitting cloak and mwd.

Also... please... language! :(

So... he was pointed? Wasnt pointed? Was in High Sec, was in null?

What was he even flying?

There is not enough information here

*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quote in the quoted post. ISD Ezwal.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#26 - 2014-05-23 12:01:53 UTC
Captain Finklestein wrote:
I will ask though that CCP change all in game pop-up messages to not take over the screen. That includes rejected messages, 1 hour until downtime, etc.

I agree. The game shouldn't take control away from the user.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#27 - 2014-05-23 12:04:17 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Ramona McCandless wrote:
So... he was pointed? Wasnt pointed? Was in High Sec, was in null?

What was he even flying?

There is not enough information here

*Snip* Removed reply to an edited out part of the quote in the quoted post. ISD Ezwal.

It doesn't matter if it'd have saved him or not. There's no reason for the popups to demand you click them before you keep playing.
Victor Andall
#28 - 2014-05-23 13:20:13 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
You probably blame your friends when you get pulled over for texting and driving as well huh?

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2014-05-23 14:06:37 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
And if you're a freighter pilot, just set your CSPA to 50 billion trillion. The gate camper gets a popup, grimaces in frustration, as you quietly warp away unscathed.

I wish the CSPA would also apply to people locking me. After all they are trying to make contact, no?

Yes they are wanting to share free ammo with you, 1 volley at a time.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-05-23 14:08:50 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
And if you're a freighter pilot, just set your CSPA to 50 billion trillion. The gate camper gets a popup, grimaces in frustration, as you quietly warp away unscathed.

Max is a million i believe.
As a noob i thought it went to me, heh heh.
There is a reject all option in esc menu, but yeah, doing chat channels while jumping a hot gate, you pooped your bed now lie in it.

Also never accept fleet invites while warping to a gate. "please wait as you haven't smack talked enough with your fleet members" or something like that happens.
Bohneik Itohn
#31 - 2014-05-23 14:09:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Bohneik Itohn
I can agree with this because I've had popups used as an aggressive tactic.

When I jump into a system and a gate camp of Sabres start spamming me with chat invites, fleet invites, etc while they troll around the gate to bump me out of cloak, they're manipulating my UI on my PC against my will to gain an advantage in combat with non-combat game mechanics.

No problem with manipulating players to gain an advantage, or manipulating combat mechanics, but getting aggressed shouldn't be similar to browsing a bad pron site.

Just a simple change: A silent UI mode. No flashy icons, no popups, no random sounds coming from parts of the game that are not directly related to combat. Make it a button on the toolbar. You turn it on, things that don't shoot at you stop screaming for your attention, you turn it off and everything resumes and receive all prior notifications.

Too easy.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#32 - 2014-05-23 14:36:50 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
When I jump into a system and a gate camp of Sabres start spamming me with chat invites, fleet invites, etc while they troll around the gate to bump me out of cloak,

just a note, that was declared an exploit a while ago
Bohneik Itohn
#33 - 2014-05-23 14:51:08 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
When I jump into a system and a gate camp of Sabres start spamming me with chat invites, fleet invites, etc while they troll around the gate to bump me out of cloak,

Declaring it an exploit doesn't stop people from using it. People are using it because it apparently has garnered some success for them. There have been dozens of changes to improve the UI lately, so they can put a little icing on the cake and it can remain an exploit in the eventuality that someone still abuses it on people who can't for various reasons turn off alerts. (FC's, for example.)

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#34 - 2014-05-23 15:20:34 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Bohneik Itohn wrote:

Declaring it an exploit doesn't stop people from using it. People are using it because it apparently has garnered some success for them. There have been dozens of changes to improve the UI lately, so they can put a little icing on the cake and it can remain an exploit in the eventuality that someone still abuses it on people who can't for various reasons turn off alerts. (FC's, for example.)

oh yeah i'm not trying to come up with a reason not to improve the ui. i was just letting you know in case you didn't or in case some git had a bad idea
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2014-05-23 15:24:23 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Bohneik Itohn wrote:

oh yeah i'm not trying to come up with a reason not to improve the ui. i was just letting you know in case you didn't or in case some git had a bad idea

the problem is: exploit is only bad when victim reports it. And not all of players aware of "exploitness" of dialog box spamming.

So it really bad habit to not fix obvious problems and just declare them "exploit"

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Jaxon Grylls
Institute of Archaeology
#36 - 2014-05-23 15:24:28 UTC
Captain Finklestein wrote:
Sequence of events:

- I am hauling some stuff through low-sec using the cloak/MWD trick.
- I see a friend login on his new out-of-corp alt, so I invite him to a chat...

Reminds me of the lyrics of the song "Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat"
(Keep you mind on your drivin') (Keep you hands on the wheel) (Keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead)

Not so much AFK just "out to lunch"
Aralez
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2014-05-23 16:02:38 UTC
People can dissect his statement to find area's to "troll" but quite simply the gent has a good point. You should always be in full control of your ship and popups shouldn't hinder you from being able to make quick and decisive maneuvers if capable.
Plane and simple.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#38 - 2014-05-23 16:15:18 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts. Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The Rules:
26. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Othran
Route One
#39 - 2014-05-23 16:18:35 UTC
The thing is that people have been complaining about this for 10 YEARS. This crap started in 2003.

You can't reasonably go banning people for a ****** up bit of coding which nobody seems capable of addressing in a decade.

Its fairly simple - no window on screen should prevent other actions while its open.

10 years+ and counting.....
Chandaris
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#40 - 2014-05-23 19:55:56 UTC
I would petition the loss. I suspect you'd probably get reimbursed.
Previous page123Next page