These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Crashing The New Eden Economy

First post First post
Author
Xenuria
#1 - 2014-05-23 03:04:36 UTC
This year at fanfest a CCP dev said that when the plex market was peaking, he took it upon himself to artificially modify the game economy. I have a few questions about this.

1. If a player has enough in-game currency to buy all the plex on the Jita market, if that player within their right to do so?

2. If the same player puts all this plex into a cargo container and then blows up said container, has this player violated any rules?

3. Should any of the above listed events occur what safety measures are in place to prevent CCP from counter acting this large scale change in the market?
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#2 - 2014-05-23 03:09:38 UTC
1. Yes
2. No
3. What measures have you taken in case aliens abduct you in the night?
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#3 - 2014-05-23 03:09:54 UTC
1. I don't see why not?

2. I'm sure CCP would actually be happy for that, take them liabilities off the books!

3. good question, but I wonder what would happen as players rush to buy plex and put them on the market. and/or people who have a plex horde going and putting the plex on the market

My guess is that they either sold destroyed plex or plex from banned accounts but that was just a quick wild guess I made watching the presentation, would be nice to go and look at that slide specifically.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Xenuria
#4 - 2014-05-23 03:17:44 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
1. Yes
2. No

This is a legitimate question because its been proven that CCP has directly influenced the market artificially. As gross and inappropriate as it is, it is a reality.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#5 - 2014-05-23 03:18:31 UTC
1.Yes
2.No
3. Either the market will settle in time as demand for plex will skyrocket while supply in this case will be nonexistent, which would cause prices to soar. This would cause those who buy plexes to RMT to flood the market with them, rebalancing it. Or CCP could in theory take the original amount that was destroyed and seed them back into the market to stabilize it.

Either way, while I do see the plex market as a gauge of the value of ISK, I don't see it as the central point of New Edens Economy. If you really want to crash the New Eden Economy, manipulate the tritanium market, which I believe is near impossible.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Quartermaster Wild
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-05-23 03:22:25 UTC
1) Of course. Collaring a market niche is valid, although CCP may take action to correct perceived imbalances. Whether it is moon goo or some other commodity should be irrelevant.

2) No. Destruction of property is one of the forefronts of both the game, and a key economy driver.

3) None whatsoever, it is their game. However, the knock-on effects would be marvelous to watch. Traders in other hubs, more financially able / casual players would have a very lucrative isk injection (should they need it), whilst those maintaining a high number of alts could find themselves in some difficulty, depending on how long the market takes to find a balance again.

I seem to recall seeing something some time ago that indicated that CCP tends to recover plex from accounts banned as a result of RMT activities and move that to the market, rather than directly injecting new plex via code.... although this distinction may be academic to most players, it would maintain cash-plex-isk ratios, if this was a metric CCP maintains.

CCP may even experience an uptick in revenue for the quarterly reports if such an event occurred, which wouldn't be a bad thing, on the assumption that CCP didn't do this themselves.
Dominic karin
Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
#7 - 2014-05-23 03:31:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Dominic karin
Annihilating the plex market won't "Crash the New Eden economy" as you so grandiosely put it. It will simply make a lot of people angry. I suppose a side affect might be a change in the markets for certain materials as people lapse due to being unable to pay their sub but that certainly wouldn't crash the economy by any means.

As for your questions;
1. Yes
2. No, Also why? :thejoker.png:
3. Define 'safety measures.' If I'm understanding the question correctly, you answered it in your first paragraph.

To elaborate on 3, it has been said in the past the CCP will intervene using plex taken from banned accounts to stabilize the plex market if need be. If you're talking about safety measures to prevent CCP from doing what CCP wants to do, you obviously haven't been here long.
Quartermaster Wild
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2014-05-23 03:36:38 UTC
Also Xenuria, just doing it the once, or even just on one day won't really cause that many tears. To effect any real manipulation of this to an 'economy breaking' level, you'd need to be able to lock the market at each hub point for an extended time.

How long did the arrangement with the bottleneck of a particular moon mineral last until CCP took action to correct the issue?
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#9 - 2014-05-23 04:26:53 UTC
The outrage is strong in this one, called "Xenuria". But does he have a point? In the opening paragraph, no such point that would justify any outrage is made.
Also, no concrete details as to HOW EXACTLY the "gross manipulation" was practically implemented were mentioned, let alone discussed in order to analyze their appropriateness.

Basically, "feh".
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#10 - 2014-05-23 04:35:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
In reply to number 2: Why not just buy it and convert to gametime for the next x amount of centuries...rather than explode it...

In reply to number 3: They wouldn't need an "in case of emergency" action plan because someone somewhere has a stock of plex they would sell at an upmarket price or someone will buy plex ingame and redeem for ISK.

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-05-23 05:36:57 UTC
The amount of stupid in Xenurias post makes me understand why someone would scratch off his name on a monument in Iceland.

You conflate the Eve economy with the PLEX economy. The two are separate, but not mutually exclusive. If you had actually listened to Dr. Eyj­ólf­ur Guðmunds­son, you would have at least gleaned this fact if you had two working brain cells. The Eve economy is in a slight DEFLATIONARY period, which Dr. E, states is not worrisome at the present time. The PLEX economy, which can be likened to a commodity like gold, was in a good spot throughout 2013.

PLEX has no use in the Eve economy, it doesn't build anything or do anything, it isn't used in anything. It has only one minor utility, in that it can be consumed for 30 days of game-time. That is the price of PLEX, what people are willing to pay ISK for, the utility of game-time.

People trade in PLEX to hedge off inflation much like people do IRL with gold and other precious metals. People started holding onto their PLEX instead of trading, or using their PLEX for the slight utility of game-time. For whatever reason, the velocity of PLEX slowed dramatically. This caused a sharp increase in PLEX prices. It would be like most gold mines suddenly stopped selling gold on the open market, all the while still mining gold, because the number of PLEX purchased remained steady, but fewer were being put on the market.

The Eve economy will continue to chug along happily, with a few minor inconveniences for some people, much like if someone bought all the gold in the world market at present, and shot it into the heart of the sun. Inconvenient for some, but the world will still spin, and gold mining companies will be laughing with excited glee at the wonderful outlook for gold prices.

So:
1. Yes
2. No, as a matter of fact please do, I need a good laugh.
3. The Eve economy will be as effected by it, as a mouse fart would effect the Eve economy, so why do you need any 'safety measures' for it.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#12 - 2014-05-23 05:42:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Dinsdale Pirannha
Look.

CCP has embraced Ayn Rand's warped view of a utopia created by people making decisions based on "enlightened self-interest".

In the real world, we have seen how well that works with object lessons like Somalia, Ethiopia, and to some extent Russia. The u.s is heading as fast as it can down that path with their "libertarianism = freedom" insanity.

CCP has decided if someone can corner the market on plexes, which requires something in the high hundreds of billions / low trillions, that is perfectly acceptable, even celebrated, within the Eve universe. We have dozens of acolytes of Ayn Rand rushing to defend this Eve culture as one that is "good for the game", every day on the forum, especially the ones ruthless enough to use the constructs provided by CCP to achieve a dominant position within the game.

But bottom line, the vast majority of humans, no matter how morally flawed we are as a species, recognizes that this kind of behavior should be abhorred, not celebrated. That is why Eve subs are stagnant, even falling (which CCP refuses to acknowledge as they won't release full CSM voting data). CCP has captured the full market of sick individuals that think crushing all others makes for great fun. There is not a lot of movement left in that that market segment. But on the other hand, there is large downside on driving people from the game, the ones that like to play a co-operative, or at the very least., a benign game.

As CCP continues down the path that the null sec cartels have laid out for them, CCP will learn that advertising "be the villain " might not be the best marketing strategy, sort of like New Coke was not that great.
Foxstar Damaskeenus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2014-05-23 05:47:37 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
1. Yes
2. No

This is a legitimate question because its been proven that CCP has directly influenced the market artificially. As gross and inappropriate as it is, it is a reality.

"Gross an Inappropriate" You mean they are trying to keep the game fun and trying to keep themselves in business.

"[this thread] is a cesspit of trolling and flaming" ISD Buldath

Steve Celeste
Doomheim
#14 - 2014-05-23 05:53:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Celeste
PLEX is just another ingame item that should be 100% in the domain of the player run economy.

This last wednesday there was another intevention on the PLEX market when we were about to break through towards 800m plex.
It is absolutely disgusting that CCP directly intervenes in this way.

What's next?
Spawning Tritanium on the market when the price goes up too fast?
Locking down sovereignty when a single entity is about to take over all of nullsec?

The people that use their hard earned money to buy PLEX deserve to get as much ISK as possible for it.
CCP, stop trying to force people into having to buy more PLEX for real money to get that shiny ship they want.

Plex intervention is scamming customers out of their money. It needs to stop immediately.
Grunanca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-05-23 06:10:08 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
This year at fanfest a CCP dev said that when the plex market was peaking, he took it upon himself to artificially modify the game economy. I have a few questions about this.

1. If a player has enough in-game currency to buy all the plex on the Jita market, if that player within their right to do so?

2. If the same player puts all this plex into a cargo container and then blows up said container, has this player violated any rules?

3. Should any of the above listed events occur what safety measures are in place to prevent CCP from counter acting this large scale change in the market?

Why destroy it, when you could sub all your accounts for years?
Eleanor Wish
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-05-23 06:25:43 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

1. Sure. Legal market transaction.

2. Nope. It's their stuff. They can blow it up if they want.

3. Probably none. EvE is CCP's property. They can intervene or not as they choose.

/thread
Prince Kobol
#17 - 2014-05-23 06:25:54 UTC
I have to admit, if I ever won the lottery I would love to put this to the test.

I would go out of my way to cause as much havoc as possible Twisted

Eleanor Wish
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-05-23 06:36:07 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
I have to admit, if I ever won the lottery I would love to put this to the test.

I bet Chribba could do it.
Prince Kobol
#19 - 2014-05-23 06:40:21 UTC
Eleanor Wish wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

I bet Chribba could do it.

Most likely but he is a really nice guy and loves Eve, I however am not a nice guy Evil
Purity by Fire
Purity Tax Haven
#20 - 2014-05-23 07:18:56 UTC
CCP crash plex purchase prices by half for a month and that would solve the problem

I would defo buy 28 plexes for £200 if that happened

So like after 76 petitions I still dont have a logical normal answer.   Fly safe and fly true and use your headset on the Loo

123Next pageLast page