These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Pop-up message just got me killed because it took over the screen.

First post
Author
Captain Finklestein
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-05-22 20:53:21 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Sequence of events:

- I am hauling some stuff through low-sec using the cloak/MWD trick.
- I see a friend login on his new out-of-corp alt, so I invite him to a chat.
- He instead joins the group chat channel.
- I jump through a gate into a gate camp and hit "align" to a celestial.
- As I hit align, my friend rejects the private conversation, which results in a pop-up message stating so.
- The pop-up message overtakes the screen and no commands work until it is closed.
- By the time I do so, I am scrammed webbed and already into armor.

It's funny enough, so I'm not whining about it in the sense that I think the kill should be reversed or reimbursed. I will ask though that CCP change all in game pop-up messages to not take over the screen. That includes rejected messages, 1 hour until downtime, etc.

It's just more financially viable for me.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#2 - 2014-05-22 20:56:46 UTC
You probably blame your friends when you get pulled over for texting and driving as well huh?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#3 - 2014-05-22 21:03:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Kijo Rikki
I wonder how many cell phones lock out all vehicle controls until you acknowledge that your friend ignored your text? Lol

Though I do agree with the sentiment, OP's fault.

Quote:

It's funny enough, so I'm not whining about it in the sense that I think the kill should be reversed or reimbursed. I will ask though that CCP change all in game pop-up messages to not take over the screen. That includes rejected messages, 1 hour until downtime, etc.

I somwehat agree, especially when people are spamming join convo to freighter pilots for obvious reasons. However there are exceptions, like safety warning messages and similar "you are about to do something incredibly dumb. Continue?" messages.

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Karen Avioras
The Raging Raccoons
#4 - 2014-05-22 21:04:14 UTC
Make your friend reimburse you. Hahahaha
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-05-22 21:07:43 UTC
i have no such funny stories....
However i agree: dialog boxes with mostly useless information are 20th century....

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Marsha Mallow
#6 - 2014-05-22 21:17:59 UTC
I think chat spam invites were classed as some sort of exploit at one point pre-TiDi because of the pop-ups.

Posting complaints on GD whilst you have a petition up doesn't really help your case though (Hint: wait until after the GM has told you the logs show nothing, then do the outrage).

+1 for making your friend reimburse you

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-05-22 21:56:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Marsha Mallow wrote:
I think chat spam invites were classed as some sort of exploit at one point pre-TiDi because of the pop-ups.

Oh **** this is a good idea. You see someone decloak at a gate, click to yellowbox then send a conversation request immediately.

Edit: If it's a multi-person gate camp then monitor Local for new entrants, wait 55 seconds (if no one appears), and have your group send convo requests.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Marsha Mallow
#8 - 2014-05-22 21:59:55 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Oh **** this is a good idea. You see someone decloak at a gate, click to yellowbox then send a conversation request immediately.

Fleet invite spam too Twisted
Just play dumb if you get pulled. And grovel.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-05-22 22:03:27 UTC
And if you're a freighter pilot, just set your CSPA to 50 billion trillion. The gate camper gets a popup, grimaces in frustration, as you quietly warp away unscathed.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#10 - 2014-05-22 22:17:36 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
And if you're a freighter pilot, just set your CSPA to 50 billion trillion. The gate camper gets a popup, grimaces in frustration, as you quietly warp away unscathed.

I wish the CSPA would also apply to people locking me. After all they are trying to make contact, no?
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#11 - 2014-05-22 22:24:20 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

Max is a million i believe.
As a noob i thought it went to me, heh heh.
There is a reject all option in esc menu, but yeah, doing chat channels while jumping a hot gate, you pooped your bed now lie in it.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#12 - 2014-05-22 23:37:40 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Sibyyl wrote:
Marsha Mallow wrote:

Edit: If it's a multi-person gate camp then monitor Local for new entrants, wait 55 seconds (if no one appears), and have your group send convo requests.
No, I'm afraid that would be a bad idea. Sending one or more convo requests for the purpose of locking your target out of the game client is as far as I can recollect deemed an exploit, as it is unintended use of a feature to gain an unfair advantage.

In case of the OP it was more a matter of the timing of the convo request being slightly off.....Blink

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Pix Severus
Empty You
#13 - 2014-05-23 00:37:01 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

I wish CSPA charges were paid directly to the guy you're trying to convo. Set your CSPA to 1b, and hope someone reads it as 1m.

Abrazzar wrote:
I wish the CSPA would also apply to people locking me. After all they are trying to make contact, no?

Killing is just a means of communication

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#14 - 2014-05-23 00:49:46 UTC
The downtime ones are pretty annoying. Not content to just tell me 2 or 3 times that downtime is coming, it also requires my assurance that it's "ok" to have downtime every single time. Yes, it's ok. It's always been ok. Please stop asking. Roll

Who put the goat in there?

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#15 - 2014-05-23 01:00:38 UTC
Shederov Blood wrote:
The downtime ones are pretty annoying. Not content to just tell me 2 or 3 times that downtime is coming, it also requires my assurance that it's "ok" to have downtime every single time. Yes, it's ok. It's always been ok. Please stop asking. Roll

They should replace those with a blaring foghorn. Should fill the same purpose without blocking the interface.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-05-23 01:00:41 UTC
ISD Ezwal wrote:
No, I'm afraid that would be a bad idea. Sending one or more convo requests for the purpose of locking your target out of the game client is as far as I can recollect deemed an exploit, as it is unintended use of a feature to gain an unfair advantage.

In case of the OP it was more a matter of the timing of the convo request being slightly off.....Blink

Thank you for the clarification. This is good information.

Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2014-05-23 01:07:08 UTC
I've lived in Delve and Feythabolis. These galactic news bulletins are getting real tiresome.

"How about a don't show again option?"
"No, get bent. It's breaking news. It's obviously important, it's been breaking for years."
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#18 - 2014-05-23 08:36:10 UTC
How would the text not popping up have saved the ship again?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Trillian Darkwater
ACME HARDWARE
Exxitium
#19 - 2014-05-23 09:53:31 UTC
IIRC, those can be closed with a simple tap on Esc ?
If not, then at the very least, CCP should do that, even if they CBA to fix the last blocking prompts...

And yes, I also agree that it's bad design - the only blocking prompt should be the one telling you you lost connection to the server Blink
Dub Step
Death To Everyone But Us
#20 - 2014-05-23 10:04:17 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Ramona McCandless wrote:
How would the text not popping up have saved the ship again?

He couldn't execute cloak/mwd because of the pop-up.

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.
123Next page