These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Opinion: how much does EVE lore really matter to you?

Author
Wacktopia
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#81 - 2014-05-20 19:58:14 UTC
I guess when I first started playing the whole ship-as-an-avatar thing was a bit weird and not being able to see yourself as a person (no CQ) meant that EVE felt a little one-dimensional to me.

However, the lore of the pod and capsuleer pilots kinda helped win me over. Funny because I am not into RP in EVE in the slightest but there was still something about the lack of a humanoid avatar that grated with me.

Glad I stuck with it.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#82 - 2014-05-20 20:13:18 UTC
For Vivec, lore is important.

He flies only Amarr, and non-Amarr only when no other Amarrian options are available.
He missions in Amarrian ships, PvPs in Amarrian ships, pew-pews with lasers (and is slowly warming
to other 'inferior' weapons such as missiles and drones) and has claimed many a pirate's
soul to His God. He flies, he fights, for the honor of the Empress, has a stark disdain for
scammers, and hates the Sansha with a passion.

RP-wise, it affects my gameplay.
I don't talk in-character with Alliance, Corp, etc. Only local really, and it gets fun when in Minmatar space. Twisted

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#83 - 2014-05-20 20:15:26 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
The lore is quite interesting, and would be interesting to see the game built more around bringing that to life. However it is understandable that most ignore it completely. From a ingame decision standpoint not really, though I would want to fight for the Republic or Thukker if FW ever actually meant anything substantial.

E: Also CCP making a SP game that was a crossbreed of Skyrim and Mass Effect, that follows more in depth the lore would also be a good idea. So long as they don't pull a ME3 and do a terrible ending.

It wasn't a terrible ending, just rushed.
The whole thing about the ME trilogy was about the journey, not the destination.
With so many loose ends due to the plethora of choices to be made,
it was little surprise that they would try to reign in everything, neatly.
Now did they succeed? Not in a perfect way no.
Do I respect the franchise still? Yes!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#84 - 2014-05-20 20:54:56 UTC
I just use it to troll people who make posts about things covered in the lore.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Josef Djugashvilis
#85 - 2014-05-20 21:11:26 UTC
Eve has a a back story, lore?

Don't know any of it and could not care less if I tried.

What players do in the game provides the only lore I have any interest in.

This is not a signature.

Ian Morbius
Potomac Greeting Card Company
#86 - 2014-05-20 21:38:46 UTC
Came to play EVE:Online because of its SCI-FI based lore/theme. Came for lore. Stayed to the pew pew.

It's important. You need to tell a good story to sell something in the market.
handige harrie
Vereenigde Handels Compagnie
#87 - 2014-05-20 22:02:20 UTC
for my day to day flying?

nothing.

That said, I really, really like reading all the chronicles, books and back story tidbits and I feel it adds an important layer to the 'feel' of the game.

Baddest poster ever

SpaceSaft
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2014-05-20 22:02:52 UTC
What lore?

The "Clear Skies" movies are pretty cool. Minmatar ships don't get destroyed, they become smaller minmatar ships, gallente are the kings of potato shapes and caldari figuered out a loophole in spacetime that makes non symmetrical ships better for all kinds of purposes.

The "There is an Amarr empress and she said something years ago." and "The empires are really losing control now... ish?" - lore is pretty pointless imo, it's something some devs write some paragraphs about when they need a new trailer, have 5 minutes of free time or need to justify some new mechanic and it's pretty obvious when they do which.

So yeah, the player made stuff works because we know it's player made, the makers know it will be perceived as playermade and the player-made-ness gives it a nice touch CCP can't devlier because they just don't care about their players' creativity. As they have shown again and again by not providing camera tools or official support for propaganda and ship modeling.

Sad

Guess what, now I don't care either. At least not that much...
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#89 - 2014-05-20 22:10:17 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I truly don't give a rat's ass about EVE lore. It affects my in-game decisions in no way whatsoever.

I respect RPers, but I just can't bring myself to be one of them.

Mr Epeen Cool

It's good lore for immersion, it's a rich universe of benefit for everyone. I'm not a rp'r but I'd pay my sub just to read the chronicles, it's entertainment when I can't get to my pc.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#90 - 2014-05-20 22:11:28 UTC
Dub Step wrote:
I like it a lot more than CCP do these days.

Players can make their own global history but the fortnightly chronicles really helped flesh out the game world by taking a look into the lives of normal inhabitants of the ships and stations in Eve.

I wish they'd put the chronicles back in the launcher.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#91 - 2014-05-20 22:47:37 UTC
Very little. All the good lore is in books and videos and very poorly presented inside the game.

This post made me think of this article.
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/8521/Games-and-Story-The-Third-Paradigm.html

CCP should look into storytelling methods appropriate to games, not books and movies.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Jim Era
#92 - 2014-05-20 22:52:19 UTC
Amarr #1

Wat™

Zendane
Blackwater USA Inc.
#93 - 2014-05-20 22:52:49 UTC
I'm not an RP'er but I like the lore. It makes the game more than a physics engine with ship statistics.

I chose my character faction and bloodline because it seemed the closest match to my own philosophy. Since I'm terrible at FPS games I deliberately picked a missile-based faction. Yeah, all that turned out to be pointless in the long term seeing as we can fly any type of ship but perhaps it helped me integrate into the game, even if only a tiny bit. Lore didn't dictate what type of ships I fly, but it did help me ease into my starting ships.

I wish the lore played a more meaningful role in current events. I can understand why certain events in lore are not present in the game (the Elder war and the Nefantar's actual purpose, for instance) because they would break certain game mechanics such as standings. As it stands now the lore makes as fascinating but static reference to what has happened in New Eden's past with minimal impact on its future. I would love to see this changed.

Zendane

Creator of the Eve Reader Podcast, a recording of Eve's backstories in audio format.

Zendane_Eve on Twitter.

Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#94 - 2014-05-20 22:59:01 UTC
Vivec Septim wrote:
For Vivec, lore is important.

He flies only Amarr
He missions in Amarrian ships
He flies, he fights, for the honor of the Empress

He couldn't be bothered to come up with his own name and instead uses one that references another franchise, so he is eternally OOC.

doh.
Slick Slomopavitz
Doomheim
#95 - 2014-05-20 23:35:15 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Every npc is some portrait with a barely pronounceable name that appears as if it were just randomly generated.

I hereby award you ALL THE LIKES!!!

Lol

"Some places got a Murphy bed, this place got a Murphy shower. I still don't know where to hang the towels!"

Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#96 - 2014-05-20 23:35:58 UTC
Considering its the key to unlocking various content in game, VERY.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Antihrist Pripravnik
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2014-05-21 00:02:07 UTC
Slick Slomopavitz wrote:
Whether it comes to the race/faction you choose to the ships you fly to the decisions you make in game, how much actually has to do with the universe that CCP has created for this game and how much has to do with just getting into space and making things blow up real good?

It was great fun and experience during and after Apocrypha when CCP Dropbear was leading an active conversation with players regarding the lore behind wormholes. If I remember correctly, there were 3 main threads discussing the subject and all of them were pretty epic. Here's one of them: http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1314015

I was telling the whole story to many new players that I've met during the last couple of years. About sleepers, Vitrauze project, how some of the planets in EVE became shattered, the significance of Oruze Osobnyk and it's meaning and The Mirror. No matter what the main play style of the player I was telling the story was - casual player, highsec carebear, hardcore PvP-er - everyone enjoyed it and got hooked on the storyline.

The story was one of the best pieces of Sci-fi I've encountered and I'm sure at least some of the players that have heard/read it are in the game because of it, no matter what they are doing in-game now.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#98 - 2014-05-21 00:03:01 UTC
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
R... P... Overload... GAH!

I appreciate the level of detail present in the lore, and how the lore translates to ingame events. I'm not playing D&D in eve though.

Wasn't an ounce of RP in that post.

Also, you've obviously never played D&D.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#99 - 2014-05-21 00:09:54 UTC
Unezka Turigahl wrote:
so he is eternally OOC.

doh.

So kinda like a mute Vherokior then?

doh!

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#100 - 2014-05-21 00:20:22 UTC
I like reading the lore but the capsuleer thing has some holes in it.