These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP was wondering why players don't get involved in the community...

First post
Author
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#41 - 2014-05-20 17:17:40 UTC
Destruction Derpy wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Markus45 wrote:
I have reported several dozen posts over time that break the EULA and I have unfortunately not seen much done, ever, to these people.

Because:

A) You wouldn't see it even if something had been done.

and

B) Nothing you have reported has actually broken the EULA.

Haters gonna hate? :/

I don't think there's any hate.

Just old fashioned trolling and/or social ineptitude.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#42 - 2014-05-20 17:18:53 UTC
Markus45 wrote:
I have reported several dozen posts over time that break the EULA and I have unfortunately not seen much done, ever, to these people. I do not want to judge the ISDs or the work they do, so I won't.

Rather, I will now state that each time I see a EULA breaking post I will report it via the petition system to the GMs.

Much like ISD LackOfFaith, I will let edge cases stay, but anything clearly offensive and non-constructive will be petitioned. All members - trolls and bullies specifically - would be best to familiarize themselves with the EULA and forum rules once again.

I like kittens.

Do your worst.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#43 - 2014-05-20 17:19:24 UTC
Markus45 wrote:

Rather, I will now state that each time I see a EULA breaking post I will report it via the petition system to the GMs.

Much like ISD LackOfFaith, I will let edge cases stay, but anything clearly offensive and non-constructive will be petitioned. All members - trolls and bullies specifically - would be best to familiarize themselves with the EULA and forum rules once again.

Careful young Padawan, abuse of the petition ticket system will get you into the same hot water you are wishing upon others.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Orion Hellscream Chanlin
Reverberation Inc
#44 - 2014-05-20 17:24:10 UTC
I think it's good to see people as diligent as Markus45, who is attempting to look after others' opinions and rights to post on a forum without feeling or being intimidated, especially if it gets to a point where it may make a person not wish to play Eve.

Then it becomes a serious concern for the makers of this game and the administrators of this forum.

I think also though, a little bit of 'banter' always occurs on a forum and may even be healthy: so long as the insults don't cross a certain threshold of being distasteful, threatening or over-the-top!

Markus45 deserves commendation as he is doing this for purely selfless reasons, looking after the interests of other members at the costs of his own time and expense.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#45 - 2014-05-20 17:48:21 UTC
Orion Hellscream Chanlin wrote:

Markus45 deserves commendation as he is doing this for purely selfless reasons, looking after the interests of other members at the costs of his own time and expense.

Sure he is.

He's from the internet, and he's here to help.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#46 - 2014-05-20 17:54:44 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
The only thing this thread will create ...

... is even more hate.

*sips coffee*

Be advised that he uses the report system as his personal weapon against people he disagrees with, using heavily worded reports and bragging about it. Think twice before arguing with him.

Blocked.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#47 - 2014-05-20 18:09:30 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Some people have nothing to worry about, since they don't resort to breaking the EULA when arguing with others.

I'm not one of those people, but they exist. Staying within the rules is the surest way to avoid being moderated.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2014-05-20 18:27:15 UTC
With all these EULA quotes it's starting to look like an IZ thread.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#49 - 2014-05-20 18:28:57 UTC
Markus45 wrote:
I have reported several dozen posts over time that break the EULA and I have unfortunately not seen much done, ever, to these people. I do not want to judge the ISDs or the work they do, so I won't.

http://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/eve-tos/

You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)

You may not organize nor be a member of any corporation or group within EVE Online that is based on or advocates any anti-ethnic, anti-gay, anti-religious, racist, sexist or other hate-mongering philosophies

You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules. While EVE Online is a persistent world, fantasy role-playing game, the claim of role-playing is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior. Role-playing is encouraged, but not at the expense of other player. You may not create or participate in a corporation or group that habitually violates this policy.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Forum_rules

2. Be respectful toward others at all times.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to be courteous when disagreeing with others.

4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

6. Racism and discrimination are prohibited.

Racism, gender stereotyping and hate speech are not permitted on the EVE Online Forums. Derogatory posting that includes race, religion or sexual preference based personal attacks and trolling can result in immediate suspension of forum posting privileges.

7. Use of profanity is prohibited.

The use of profanity is prohibited on the EVE Online forums. This includes the partial masking of letters using numbers or alternate symbols, and any attempts at bypassing the profanity filter.

18. New player bashing will not be tolerated.

New members of the EVE Online community are encouraged to use, but are not restricted to the EVE New Citizens Q&A forum. This forum is specifically designed to provide a platform for those who are new to the EVE community to ask questions and learn more about EVE. More experienced forum users are encouraged to participate by assisting new players with helpful and courteous responses. All flaming, trolling and posts of a derogatory nature will be deleted, and will be considered a severe breach of the forum rules.

22. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

Hello, I'd like to take a moment to ask that you don't abuse the petition system. If you were to report the post in question, it shows up immediately in our queue for review. We always have a line to the Community Team open, and we're in constant communication with them over problems on the forums, reports that have popped up, things the players would like, and so on. If you're interested in helping the forums out, we're always accepting applications for CCL provided you fit the criteria. Sending in a constant stream of petitions increases workload on the GMs, and an unhappy GM is not something anyone wants to see.

Thank you.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Xavier Higdon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#50 - 2014-05-20 18:29:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Xavier Higdon
The forums are rough, there's no doubt about that, but most of us seem to like it that way. It would be nice if serious questions wouldn't be trolled, and perhaps that guy's question was serious, but it's going to happen. The forums are part of EvE, and we all know EvE is harsh. The community, however, isn't evil or hateful. It's just rough around the edges. Check my posting history, go to the thread titled something like tackling the botting problem with nullsec ratters, and read our posts as we hurl insults at one another for 20 pages. Now that the thread dropped off in popularity, we're all right back to peacefully coexisting.

That's just EvE, my friend. One day you're hated enemies, thirsting for each other's blood. The next day you're in a fleet together thirsting for someone else's blood.

If someone has a serious problem, the community you're insulting is generally quick to rally around them, because the reality is that EvE Online truly is a community. Together, we have raised nearly $200,000 for disaster relief, had a monument built, saw that monument fall prey to vandals and then helped to have those vandals caught and punished. Tomorrow we'll be insulting each other in new and creative ways.
Destruction Derpy
Doomheim
#51 - 2014-05-20 18:33:21 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Some people have nothing to worry about, since they don't resort to breaking the EULA when arguing with others.

I'm not one of those people, but they exist. Staying within the rules is the surest way to avoid being moderated.

His ego gets the best of him. Well ... that's probably not much anyway...

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Hello, I'd like to take a moment to ask that you don't abuse the petition system. If you were to report the post in question, it shows up immediately in our queue for review. We always have a line to the Community Team open, and we're in constant communication with them over problems on the forums, reports that have popped up, things the players would like, and so on. If you're interested in helping the forums out, we're always accepting applications for CCL provided you fit the criteria. Sending in a constant stream of petitions increases workload on the GMs, and an unhappy GM is not something anyone wants to see.

Thank you.
Your post is quite ... long. :/

Destruction Derpy 11 will be held on the 25th of May 2014! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=345038&find=unread Frigates only! All pilots welcome! :D See bio for more! :D

Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#52 - 2014-05-20 18:48:30 UTC
Xavier Higdon wrote:
That's just EvE, my friend. One day you're hated enemies, thirsting for each other's blood. The next day you're in a fleet together thirsting for someone else's blood.

One of the best parts about the game, tbh. Friends and enemies aren't determined for you by some artificial faction or boundry, but by your own interest, thoughts, and ideas. And at the end of the day, we're all nerd playing online spreadsheets who will happy buy their worst internet spaceship enemy a beer IRL. Well, most of us, anyways,

Regarding getting trolled, welcome to any online community ever. As always, observing posting etiquette before you dive in is vital. For any player smart enough to determine that any newbie type questions should go in the "New Player" section, this is probably the most helpful community out there. For those that aren't...well, they'll learn the hard way.

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#53 - 2014-05-20 19:00:52 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
With all these EULA quotes it's starting to look like an IZ thread.

it hasn't been closed for review yet, it will when it has Big smile
Xavier Higdon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#54 - 2014-05-20 19:06:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Xavier Higdon
Galen Darksmith wrote:
Xavier Higdon wrote:

One of the best parts about the game, tbh. Friends and enemies aren't determined for you by some artificial faction or boundry, but by your own interest, thoughts, and ideas. And at the end of the day, we're all nerd playing online spreadsheets who will happy buy their worst internet spaceship enemy a beer IRL. Well, most of us, anyways,

Regarding getting trolled, welcome to any online community ever. As always, observing posting etiquette before you dive in is vital. For any player smart enough to determine that any newbie type questions should go in the "New Player" section, this is probably the most helpful community out there. For those that aren't...well, they'll learn the hard way.

There will always be a small group that become so personally invested in their in game avatar, activities or assets that they cannot separate themselves from it, but those people usually do something incredibly stupid like scratching a name off of our monument and get themselves permabanned. Other than those few, I think we're a rather balanced and accepting group.

In regards to trolling and being trolled, you're right that it's the reality of internet forums, but from what I've experienced the trolling on the EvE-O forums is of a much higher quality than others. It might seem strange to be complimenting trolls, but I think that they truly deserve it in comparison to other trolls. There isn't much of the normal trolling garbage that you see elsewhere, with 50 posts just saying "u mad bro?" or containing just a link to a pic that says "TROLOLOLOLOLO". Instead, trolls here take a few moments to think about what they're going to say, they often spell check and only when they are satisfied do they attempt to make you feel bad. It's just further evidence of the fact that EvE Online attracts a higher caliber of gamers.
Prince Kobol
#55 - 2014-05-20 19:13:09 UTC
I've just taken my trainers off and my god my feet stink.

They smell like stale popcorn !!!!
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#56 - 2014-05-20 19:14:21 UTC
There are a lot of annoying characters on these forums and that does get tiring, but I think the main reason people don't participate outside of the game is because they just don't care to. I think this is the first game where I have participated in the forums, and it has only been recently in my time playing EVE that I have begun to do so. Most of the time people just want to play the game and leave it at that. And that's fine isn't it? Maybe they have nothing of value to say or add outside of the game. Why does everyone need to turn EVE into something more than a game they play every now and then? It is just a game you know. Turning it into politics or an annual $1000 trip to a cold wasteland to hang out with a bunch of nerds is a bit much...
Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#57 - 2014-05-20 19:25:22 UTC
Xavier Higdon wrote:
In regards to trolling and being trolled, you're right that it's the reality of internet forums, but from what I've experienced the trolling on the EvE-O forums is of a much higher quality than others. It might seem strange to be complimenting trolls, but I think that they truly deserve it in comparison to other trolls. There isn't much of the normal trolling garbage that you see elsewhere, with 50 posts just saying "u mad bro?" or containing just a link to a pic that says "TROLOLOLOLOLO". Instead, trolls here take a few moments to think about what they're going to say, they often spell check and only when they are satisfied do they attempt to make you feel bad. It's just further evidence of the fact that EvE Online attracts a higher caliber of gamers.

Prince Kobol wrote:
I've just taken my trainers off and my god my feet stink.

They smell like stale popcorn !!!!

Xavier Higdon wrote:

God dammit.

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Lugia3
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#58 - 2014-05-20 19:26:49 UTC
All I see is someone with weak feelings.

Go home guys, nothing to see here.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#59 - 2014-05-20 19:35:45 UTC
In WoW I had a thin pale mage alt I named Anorexia. Somebody reported me after about 3 years, forcing me to change it.

You can be sure that pretty much anything is offensive to somebody somewhere. What you can't predict is whether they will take action or not.
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2014-05-20 19:39:50 UTC
Markus45 wrote:
CCP once fielded a question to the CSM, asking them why most players do not get involved in the forums or the community much at all.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=344514

This is a great example of why most players who come on the forums to discuss an idea or ask a question never return after their first time or second time. In the larger picture incidents like this are what cause players to keep to themselves and their cliques instead of getting involved with the community much past that.

There needs to be harsher penalties for this kind of trolling and disrespectful behavior, it contributes to much of the isolationist attitudes in the game which ultimately lead to lost subscriptions and $$$ over time.

What happened in that thread was not discussion, it was not criticism, it was not even innocent trolling. What happened in that thread was a group of angry men getting their rocks off at another person's expense.

This thread has the solution to your problems OP:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=345133

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133