These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Restrict NPC Corporation Posting Abilities.

First post First post
Author
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#201 - 2014-05-19 12:25:58 UTC
King Fu Hostile wrote:
So, a good compromise would be to introduce corp & alliance level block filters, and set all NPC corps "blocked" for everyone as default?

This way everyone who desperately desires to read NPC alt content could expose themselves to it, but NPC posting wouldn't contaminate the EVE experience of normal people.

That would definitely be better than nothing, especially if we were then able to selectively unblock individual NPCs. My preference would be the restrictions La Nariz suggested, though.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Prince Kobol
#202 - 2014-05-19 12:36:42 UTC
afkalt wrote:

@Prince Kobol: You know nothing about me, stop judging because I'm arguing the devils advocate and I can see the bigger picture. It's funny, you think I'm a risk averse carebear because I post with an ancient alt - so ancient it's never been through the portrait generator. But yes, I'm totally "hiding" in an NPC corp because I'm scared. It is simply a convenient mask which means my other business interests may go on unimpeded. I make an effort to not troll, to post constructive and considerately and for the most part I believe I do so.

The fact that you feel the need to hide behind a faceless alt tells me all I need to know about you.

If you are not confident enough in your own opinions that you feel you need to hide behind a faceless alt then why should I or anybody else consider them?

Shivanthar
#203 - 2014-05-19 12:46:58 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:

If you are not confident enough in your own opinions that you feel you need to hide behind a faceless alt then...

This!

Even not exactly for the afkalt, this is the situation for most trollers and the point I use to supply my alternative idea.
It's not like if someone trolls time to time, people will wardec/gank them out of an instant. Mostly, all they will get is a "cut the BS" type of stuff, only if you go too far.

I sense disturbance in the force here, which whispers me they hide for some other reason, because being wardec'ed for trolling mostly isn't an issue.

_Half _the lies they tell about me **aren't **true.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#204 - 2014-05-19 13:03:21 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
The fact that you feel the need to hide behind a faceless alt tells me all I need to know about you.

If you are not confident enough in your own opinions that you feel you need to hide behind a faceless alt then why should I or anybody else consider them?

I have several accounts engaged in several, wildly different game areas. Posting with one convenient and obviously alt avatar is useful and prevents judgements on matters such as talking about PvP on an industry character, for example. I can little be bothered switching to a character whose background fits the topic at hand. Thus it's nothing to do with my own confidence, it is simply easier to accept and state up front it is an alt and an obvious one (the name was chosen for a reason) and that an employment history or killboard "judgement" isn't going to tell you much so better to judge the post on its own merit.

You shouldn't prejudge people's post content based on their corp tag. You see, I'm a believer in judging posts by their merit and content and not by who posted them or what corporation they do, or do not belong to. This is why you'll never catch me with the "grrr goons" or anything of the sort. Don't judge the avatar, just the post.

Again, this is written on the "remove trolling and the problem here is gone", standpoint.
Prince Kobol
#205 - 2014-05-19 13:11:45 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

I have several accounts engaged in several, wildly different game areas. Posting with one convenient and obviously alt avatar is useful and prevents judgements on matters such as talking about PvP on an industry character, for example. I can little be bothered switching to a character whose background fits the topic at hand. Thus it's nothing to do with my own confidence, it is simply easier to accept and state up front it is an alt and an obvious one (the name was chosen for a reason) and that an employment history or killboard "judgement" isn't going to tell you much so better to judge the post on its own merit.

You shouldn't prejudge people's post content based on their corp tag. You see, I'm a believer in judging posts by their merit and content and not by who posted them or what corporation they do, or do not belong to. This is why you'll never catch me with the "grrr goons" or anything of the sort. Don't judge the avatar, just the post.

Again, this is written on the "remove trolling and the problem here is gone", standpoint.

I never look at a characters killboard when judging the contents of a persons post, I never look at their corp history either, just knowing that they are in a player created corp is enough for me.

It tells me that they have enough conviction in their opinion that they do not feel the need to hide in a faceless NCP corp and come up with a myriad of pretty pathetic excuses to justify it.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#206 - 2014-05-19 13:15:09 UTC
Irrespective, you still prejudge and you really shouldn't.
Dave stark
#207 - 2014-05-19 13:28:32 UTC
afkalt wrote:

tell that to my insurance company.
Meytal
Doomheim
#208 - 2014-05-19 13:43:33 UTC
I believe we see a good reason why Goonswarm wants to make this change, and why this change should not be made:

Mallak Azaria wrote:
Rendiff wrote:
ITT: Goonswarm complaining about meta.

ITT: Renter misses the point & posts random stuff.

This person is identified as a "Renter", and thus the implicit threat is made.

Effectively, this change would turn the largest and most powerful organizations in the game into a mafia of sorts. "You agree with what we say, right? It would be a shame for something to happen to all your nice stuff."

If you can't post your true thoughts and feelings without threat of harassment or otherwise, then you are being censored. It's surprising that a large, forum-originated group would be keen to encourage censorship. Or does "tolerance" really mean "agreeing that I am right" ?

ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Tools to track repeat offenders are poor/nonexistent, so banning mostly comes from one ISD thinking "huh, I've seen a lot of crap from this one poster" or "wow, that is spectacularly awful on a new level", pointing it out to the CCP Community Team, then the Community Team acting on it as appropriate (and as detailed in the "Reprimand Policy" section of the forum rules).

The first useful post in this thread.

Some sort of account-wide "karma" might be useful. This way, as posters on an account accumulate negative karma, they lose forum posting permissions for increasingly longer periods of time. If the ISDs continually edited or deleted my posts, for example, at some point I should automatically lose forum posting permissions for a time without having to involve CCP GMs. If I keep that up, each forum ban would be longer and longer, until eventually I lose permission altogether. On ANY character from that account, new or old. You can sell all the characters you want, the bad karma stays with the account.

Over time, the karma slowly returns to normal as you make worthwhile posts that are not removed and that the community feels are worthwhile. Though some limit needs to be put in place, so your closest 10,000 friends can't rocket you back up to angelic karma ratings with a single post.

This would solve the issue with the throwaway NPC alt troll poster, this would solve the issue with the untouchable non-NPC troll poster, and would actually be useful. This removes the so-called ":effort: wall" that the OP likes to spew about, and enacts real, meaningful consequences to posting garbage on the forums.

Then, forum posting would have forum consequences and those consequences would be equal for all, not just the largest entities in the game who can enforce their will at any time they desire.

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#209 - 2014-05-19 13:55:19 UTC
It wouldn't change the quality of forum posts one bit. People in player corps troll just as hard as NPC players. Forum alt corps will just pop up in place of the NPC corps. I made this corp just for this forum alt. People need the ability to hide behind a forum alt to protect their corps and friends in game if they want to voice their opinions on the forums. Too many people get butthurt too easily, even when things are meant to be a joke, for you not have the ability for some anonymity to protect things in game.
Sal Landry
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#210 - 2014-05-19 14:30:24 UTC
"abloobloobloo I was scammed/awoxed by an alt why can't I retaliate against their main"

This is literally your argument, goons. Alts are an integral game component in-game as well as on the forums.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#211 - 2014-05-19 15:15:31 UTC
Meytal wrote:

Some sort of account-wide "karma" might be useful. This way, as posters on an account accumulate negative karma, they lose forum posting permissions for increasingly longer periods of time. If the ISDs continually edited or deleted my posts, for example, at some point I should automatically lose forum posting permissions for a time without having to involve CCP GMs. If I keep that up, each forum ban would be longer and longer, until eventually I lose permission altogether. On ANY character from that account, new or old. You can sell all the characters you want, the bad karma stays with the account.

Over time, the karma slowly returns to normal as you make worthwhile posts that are not removed and that the community feels are worthwhile. Though some limit needs to be put in place, so your closest 10,000 friends can't rocket you back up to angelic karma ratings with a single post.

This would solve the issue with the throwaway NPC alt troll poster, this would solve the issue with the untouchable non-NPC troll poster, and would actually be useful. This removes the so-called ":effort: wall" that the OP likes to spew about, and enacts real, meaningful consequences to posting garbage on the forums.

Then, forum posting would have forum consequences and those consequences would be equal for all, not just the largest entities in the game who can enforce their will at any time they desire.

If you would like to detail this in its own thread, I think it may have merit to discuss as a standalone idea. Something to keep in mind, though, is this change would involve a non-trivial code change to the forums, which I am not sure can/will happen anytime soon.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Prince Kobol
#212 - 2014-05-19 15:17:30 UTC
Karma is not a good thing as it is very open to abuse.

You can not go grrrr goons and then ask for karma lol.
Prince Kobol
#213 - 2014-05-19 15:21:19 UTC
afkalt wrote:

Rightly or wrongly people pre-judge others every day of there lives. It is a fact of life.

Whether its the way somebody dresses, their accent, use of vocabulary, hair style, make up, etc we have have our preconceptions.

In regards to this Game, this forum and this discussion, I will always pay little to no attention to anybodies argument if they do not have the conviction to post under a main character and chooses to hide behind a faceless alt.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#214 - 2014-05-19 16:01:33 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Meytal wrote:

If you would like to detail this in its own thread, I think it may have merit to discuss as a standalone idea. Something to keep in mind, though, is this change would involve a non-trivial code change to the forums, which I am not sure can/will happen anytime soon.

Maybe you want to take a look at moderation and metamoderation as implemented on slashdot.org site. Probably is not perfect but seems to be working so far.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#215 - 2014-05-19 16:12:22 UTC
hmskrecik wrote:
Maybe you want to take a look at moderation and metamoderation as implemented on slashdot.org site. Probably is not perfect but seems to be working so far.

That's an even more non-trivial change to the system, considering Slashdot uses a nested comment system, not a linear thread system like the Eve Forums do.. Also, posters on the Eve Forums have personal agendas which may (will) shine through, especially since Eve players actually have stuff to gain/lose partly based on what goes on in the forum. So, it might work, or it might not, but it's hard to code regardless.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#216 - 2014-05-19 16:15:30 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
hmskrecik wrote:

That's an even more non-trivial change to the system, considering Slashdot uses a nested comment system, not a linear thread system like the Eve Forums do.. Also, posters on the Eve Forums have personal agendas which may (will) shine through, especially since Eve players actually have stuff to gain/lose partly based on what goes on in the forum. So, it might work, or it might not, but it's hard to code regardless.

Well, I didn't say to use slash engine. :) But just take a look how moderation there works. Maybe it's not something which could be implanted here but maybe there will be an idea or two worth stealing. Though probably even then it would mean major rework of EVE forum.

(For the record, I wouldn't say no to nested, thread-like comments)
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#217 - 2014-05-19 16:29:54 UTC
La Nariz wrote:

RL still has nothing to do with it if anyone is trying to dox or do things in RL over the game contact CCP and law enforcement. Point 3 we disagree on the forums the game provided forums are part of the game. Your actions should have consequences and in attaching forum actions to consequences forum quality will be increased. It is not harassment for me to do something because you posted something unpalatable. That's my choice and should I decide you're worth awoxing/ganking/wardecing I pay the consequence for those actions. Harassment is addressed in the EULA/TOS and expressly forbidden.

Addressing the problem at the forum level can be another step in improving the quality of the forums remember I note that this is only part of the solution.

Any reference to politics is once again your own goonspiracy my intention with this suggestion is to do nothing more than increase forum quality.

Are you deliberately pretending to miss the point or my English is so bad? The point which I'm driving home is that things should be kept on their level: RL stuff in RL, game stuff in game and forum stuff in forum. And while we're at it, forum is not the part of the game, it's part of game community which while very closely related, is not the same thing.

And about Goon conspiracy, I am paranoid but not THAT paranoid. I just don't believe this solution will fulfill stated goal. It has been already shown in this thread that trolls WILL find way around it and at the same time you failed to dispel the concern that this tool may be used for other purposes, like silencing dissenting opinions for example. Which actually surprises me. From the handful of posts crafted by some Goons I got impression that you folks tend to have keen eye to spot possible misuses and unintended consequences. If you fail to see such obvious flaw it means either your eye in particular is not so keen, or that the consequence is intended.

P.S. Harassment is a choice too.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#218 - 2014-05-19 16:45:09 UTC  |  Edited by: hmskrecik
Prince Kobol wrote:

I want people out of NPC Corps because they do nothing but detract from the game. You just have to fly around HS and see how many people run missions, incursions and mine whilst being in NPC corps simply to avoid war decs knowing that if anybody tries to gank them concord will retaliate.

Detracting how? Or in another words, please show me on the doll where hisec miner has touched you.

You also seem to have trouble to decide whether you want to force someone or to encourage. As far as I know they are mutually exclusive.
voetius
Grundrisse
#219 - 2014-05-19 17:45:24 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Anthar Thebess wrote:
So the people will just make more 1 man corporations

The ISD stated that its 10+ active accounts to post in CAOD so its more like a 10+ man corporation which is a significant :effort: wall.

Agreed, there are no silver bullets but you can raise the entry barrier.

I gave a like to the OP as I think something should be done to increase the signal to noise ratio, or at least remove some of the noise.

Personally I've liked the other idea of restricting posting to the highest skillpoint character on the account, it's not a perfect answer either.

In an ideal world CCP could try something, assess the results over a specific time period and either scrap the idea if it doesn't work and / or try something else.

Meytal
Doomheim
#220 - 2014-05-19 18:52:05 UTC
hmskrecik wrote:
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
hmskrecik wrote:

Well, I didn't say to use slash engine. :) But just take a look how moderation there works. Maybe it's not something which could be implanted here but maybe there will be an idea or two worth stealing. Though probably even then it would mean major rework of EVE forum.

(For the record, I wouldn't say no to nested, thread-like comments)

I actually considered this in my previously reply, but like ISD LackOfFaith mentioned, it's easily to manipulate if you have 10,000 monkeys at your disposal. In fact, that would be even better for the large blocs than what they're asking for now.

EVE is just too small and too polarized of a community for something like that to work, and many of the game features and mechanics just aren't designed with the idea that a HUGE group of people would band together and work to game the system, unfortunately. :-/