These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

What happens when a capsuleer dies in station?

Author
Precentor Saggitus
Planet Express Transport
#21 - 2014-05-15 07:29:55 UTC
Lochiel wrote:

EVE: Source clearly states that the "burning scanner" technology that is used to read the brain state destroyes the brain in the process, takes a full and accurate snapshot, and thus allows the subject to maintain the stream of consiousness between bodies. The "Full and accurate" would not imply that only part of the memory is transferred.

while the burning scanner works that way at the point of pod penetration, there is nothing in the Lore that specifically says this is the only way that memories can be transferred between clones. The technology that the broker uses hints at this, and there have been some of the other short stories over the years that do as well. I wish I could find the links to some of the older ones that used to be on the site.

Either way, there's no reason there isn't a less destructive, if less instantaneous method of memory recording. the way that clones need to be updated sort of hints at this. If the clones themselves remain as blank slates until needed, then there is probably a way of making a back up of one's memories. Again the broker being the most obvious example, where obviously has downloaded his consciousness into others, made multiple copies and presumably is still running on an original or at least an earlier copy. The broker's power comes from the unique ability to have several instances of himself running simultaneously, which if I recall contravenes the laws of the lore universe.

I suppose it depends on how you like your clone verse, and how evolutionary the process of developing the technology was.

Few people understand the psycology of a highway traffic cop. Your average speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#22 - 2014-05-15 10:52:45 UTC
CETA Elitist wrote:

each clone is a seperate instance of consciousness with modified memories. The new clone is now you, and the previous you is dead, with "you" being your unique psyche.

So it doesnt matter how many of "you" there are, since that does not infringe on one's ability to be you.

I've reread your comment, and you're right. I'm getting now what you wanted to say, sorry for the confusion.
CETA Elitist
The Prometheus Society
#23 - 2014-05-15 14:45:12 UTC  |  Edited by: CETA Elitist
Willmahh wrote:
CETA Elitist wrote:
Owen Levanth wrote:
[quote=Willmahh]You are still you, even though some smartass philosophers could point out this is only because none of your other selves can be around to disagree with you.

each clone is a seperate instance of consciousness with modified memories. The new clone is now you, and the previous you is dead, with "you" being your unique psyche.

So it doesnt matter how many of "you" there are, since that does not infringe on one's ability to be you.

somehow you quoted something i didn't say.... :)

oh, mybad Xd
CETA Elitist
The Prometheus Society
#24 - 2014-05-15 15:01:35 UTC
Owen Levanth wrote:
CETA Elitist wrote:

I've reread your comment, and you're right. I'm getting now what you wanted to say, sorry for the confusion.

no need to apologize.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#25 - 2014-05-15 15:13:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Erica Dusette
Willmahh wrote:
Think of a clone as your hard copy last backup with the pod breach transmission being an incremental addition to the hard copy to gather the difference since the last "backup"

if you're not in your pod, you wake up with complete amnesia from the last time you updated your clone - essentially losing memories and experience..

Pretty much this, at least if you ask most people in the RP community where death outside one's capsule isn't all that uncommon and is referred to as 'soft cloning'.

OP might want to scour back through this section a bit, this is a subject that seems to pop up semi-regularly and I'm pretty sure a Dev or two (CCP Falcon?) made some comments regarding it in a thread at some point, among many other interesting opinions from players.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#26 - 2014-05-15 21:25:06 UTC
If I remember the most recent of those discussions, the word from the devs was somewhat noncommittal as far as soft cloning goes. They didn't say anything to encourage thinking it was possible, but I don't remember the idea being shot down outright.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#27 - 2014-05-15 21:30:54 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
If I remember the most recent of those discussions, the word from the devs was somewhat noncommittal as far as soft cloning goes. They didn't say anything to encourage thinking it was possible, but I don't remember the idea being shot down outright.

Pretty much. From memory they said there's no solid basis in lore to support 'soft cloning', although conceded that it's a concept that's been used now so widely and for so long that it's kinda be made lore by the playerbase.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Xindi Kraid
#28 - 2014-05-15 21:38:51 UTC
I think the justification many use is things like the Broker maintaining multiple copies of himself, and the idea if the Broker can make multiple copies of himself, why can't we keep a backup?
It should also be noted one of the important things to understand is that, at some point, capsuleers are just data traveling from one body to another, and data can be copied (though many who hold the idea of soft clones rather than saying we are backed up when we pod or jump clone, rather take advantage of some unspecified scanning method that takes longer but doesn't liquefy grey matter).

Also note that while the pod and cloning are a match made in heaven, neither is required for the other. Pods existed before cloning, and cloning has been used without a pod. I seem to remember reading a chronicle where an executive uses a jump clone, and ignoring that I do think it has been mentioned that the technology was used before it was mated to pods. Even without soft clones, getting fatally injured outside a pod doesn't mean permanent death. The reason a pod is so great is it's a controlled environment and the head and brainscanner are close together and don't move too much. You could certainly put scanners and a CRU in hospitals to use on critically injured patients.
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#29 - 2014-05-16 07:49:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Think about cloud computing, no one said that capsuleers can't use implants that are making their consciousness stream to system and in fact a whole with the system that is its host, not only a brain, but a whole system including implants.

Cloud consciousness, where you think with not only your brain, but your consiousness is spread in a system like a butter on a loaf of bread. You could take a bite off of it, but then again system would know what the loaf of bread looked like moment ago, so it would just repetedly update itself, like an evergrowing tree that knows its whole model.

Implants in stations, and a network of stations itself would be a host of your consciousness. Think about being everywhere there, but sensing your body like you do now. In the moment of death senses would shut off, like they do when you die, but your consciousness would stay intact upholded by whole system. I see it that way.
Kira Hhallas
Very Drunken Eve Flying Instructors
Brotherhood Of Silent Space
#30 - 2014-05-16 08:22:09 UTC
Read the Book "Templar: One"

In the fact the first Merc Implants was from Sleeper, and the Amarr used these Implants for R&D for the Templar Army.
So I don't want to spoiler much more.
The technology of the instant transfer from the mind to the Body is all ready there.
Also for People they are not in the Pod...

Kira Hhallas - Austrian EvE Community - ingame =Österreich= - StoryPage - https://oneshotstorys.wordpress.com/ -

Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2014-05-17 18:43:12 UTC
Clearly the "immortal" trait has exceptions. For example, if all of your clones were destroyed then you wouldn't have anywhere to jump to. I suppose they might be able to store your consciousness elsewhere, but then that could be erased as well.
Saul Elsyn
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-05-17 19:07:17 UTC
Don't forget at the last Fanfest, the devs heavily hinted at the Guristas developing a way to make a mind transfer from a Capsuleer to a Dust Merc or Valkyrie pirate. That tech suggests an effort to make a more universal implant and consciousness transfer system.

I'd guess it'd also be possible to store neural patterns as computer data, thus making it so that an individual that was 'out of clones' could be saved in a computer bank. Which is why we have bits of lore about infomorphs.
Xindi Kraid
#33 - 2014-05-18 05:16:22 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:
Clearly the "immortal" trait has exceptions. For example, if all of your clones were destroyed then you wouldn't have anywhere to jump to. I suppose they might be able to store your consciousness elsewhere, but then that could be erased as well.

The term used for Capsuleers and DUST mercs (really need a better name) is "effectively immortal" since it takes some doing to make them stay dead.
Gabriel Dube
Outer Planets Alliance
#34 - 2014-05-18 05:18:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Gabriel Dube
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
Think about cloud computing, no one said that capsuleers can't use implants that are making their consciousness stream to system and in fact a whole with the system that is its host, not only a brain, but a whole system including implants.

Cloud consciousness, where you think with not only your brain, but your consiousness is spread in a system like a butter on a loaf of bread. You could take a bite off of it, but then again system would know what the loaf of bread looked like moment ago, so it would just repetedly update itself, like an evergrowing tree that knows its whole model.

Implants in stations, and a network of stations itself would be a host of your consciousness. Think about being everywhere there, but sensing your body like you do now. In the moment of death senses would shut off, like they do when you die, but your consciousness would stay intact upholded by whole system. I see it that way.

What you are talking about is, in classical sci-fi terms, often regarded as post-"technological singularity" tech. This has tons of humongously important implications. Although it is probably not impossible to have something artificial that is functionally comparable to a human mind, it would definitely not operate on the same principles, since its thought-equivalents would not emerge from an actual organic brain made of interconnected neurons. Essentially, this would make capsuleers be a lot more similar to rogue drones sentient software than to anything else. It would not fit the eve universe at all.

For cloning to even make sense, the brain image we are talking about can only be a mapping of the architectural configuration of an actual biological brain; a 3D image with a ridiculously high definition that records exactly what is where in your brain at a neurological, or maybe even molecular level.

It is not even software, it is a blueprint.

This is the main reason why, even with the technology to store complex brain mappings in a database (which is not all that complicated, given a large enough database), those brain mappings cannot be functional consciousness on their own. That's why it needs to be made into an actual organic brain for your mind to exist again. It is the electro-chemical activity in a biological brain that makes it work the way it does.

Otherwise, why even keep a pre-made clone? Capsuleers in a post-singularity sci-fi universe would quickly realize that it is extremely more practical to exist as software most of the time and to only build a cloned biological body when they actually need one. You wouldn't need your biological body when you are plugged in your ship, so this would defeat the whole purpose of capsule tech. Your character would then be a form of software-being that uploads itself into a ship and that can simply upload itself somewhere else if said ship is destroyed or not needed. Clones would only be occasionally kept as blank bodies to upload yourself into whenever you want to stop being a sentient ship and would rather become human again.

If what you are saying is, in fact, possible in the EVE universe, then practically all forms of cloning are already obsolete because of the same technology that made consciousness-transfer cloning possible.

Edit: On a side note, I really hope that what I described here is not what happened with the sleepers.
Kallie Altosoro
Ardene TAC
#35 - 2014-05-18 06:04:17 UTC
I had thought about that myself. If you're outside your pod and your clone dies, are you truly dead?

I guess it would depend on the medical technology in the story. In the movie "The Sixth Day," when someone dies, they are taken back to a lab and a picture of the guy's memories are taken (I think it is called a syncording or something like that.) The movie doesn't say if there is a short window of time where the recording can not be made and the person is lost. The movie doesn't say either way as a matter of fact. Would this be a factor in EVE? I don't know.

I would imagine something like this scenario: while on a station outside of their pod, a barrel falls off a shelf and whacks a capsuleer in the back severing the spinal cord and killing the person instantly. The station's computer, which monitors the life signs of all individuals on board, senses the capsuleer's death and alerts medical personnel to the injured / decease's location. All medical personnel would carry one of those memory burners as standard equipment. When they find the capsuleer dead, the med tech hooks the dead body up, the memories are scanned, and then transferred to the waiting clone. As long as the brain is intact and suffered no damage or decay, resurrection is possible.

That's how I see it anyway.

(HA! I knew the board wasn't going to post this! Good thing I C&P'ed it!)

"Hey, this is my kind of rain.  No wonder the sky looked funny today."  -Dante

At warp, I can fly through a star.  But I have to finaggle my way around this asteroid.  /smirk

Xindi Kraid
#36 - 2014-05-18 09:05:35 UTC
The problem with that is that standard cloning works by taking a snapshot of neural activity.
Even if brain death hasn't occurred yet, the death of the body is going to throw that activity off, so copying that is only going to cause problems. It's even mentioned in the lore about cloning that taking the snapshot too late is bad for this reason.
Kallie Altosoro
Ardene TAC
#37 - 2014-05-18 09:39:15 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
The problem with that is that standard cloning works by taking a snapshot of neural activity.
Even if brain death hasn't occurred yet, the death of the body is going to throw that activity off, so copying that is only going to cause problems. It's even mentioned in the lore about cloning that taking the snapshot too late is bad for this reason.

I didn't say it was perfect.

"Hey, this is my kind of rain.  No wonder the sky looked funny today."  -Dante

At warp, I can fly through a star.  But I have to finaggle my way around this asteroid.  /smirk

Esna Pitoojee
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#38 - 2014-05-18 21:00:53 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:

Pretty much. From memory they said there's no solid basis in lore to support 'soft cloning', although conceded that it's a concept that's been used now so widely and for so long that it's kinda be made lore by the playerbase.

Just going to drag back these comments for a moment to be clear on something: While we've never had a dev outright say "Yes this is absolutely possible", there have have been numerous implicit confirmations. The example that comes to mind was when a dev-actor character was walking into a potentially dangerous situation (out of the pod) and was outright asked what would happen if he was attacked, he said "uh, I'll just clone?"

That is, in my opinion, pretty clear confirmation that it is possible to somehow produce a 'backup' which can be held in storage until needed.
Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#39 - 2014-05-19 05:04:55 UTC
Source also confirms the existence of backups. It's soft clones (scanning slowly to not destroy the brain in the process) that is up in the air.
Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#40 - 2014-05-19 20:39:51 UTC
Samira Kernher wrote:
Source also confirms the existence of backups. It's soft clones (scanning slowly to not destroy the brain in the process) that is up in the air.

I looked up previous questions like this and did find some people mentioning soft-scans. That would have to be the way that jump clones work, but does it require a machine like an EEG, and a certain amount of time?
Previous page123Next page