These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is Gallente the best race ?

First post First post
Author
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2014-05-16 19:44:27 UTC
Yes. Gallente Superiority, 10 years coming.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Marsan
#22 - 2014-05-16 19:52:38 UTC
It's hard to say. Current the Gal are arguably the best followed by the Cal and Min. Amarr are by far the worst as laser weapons are fundamentally flawed in the game compared to missiles or projectiles. Long term it's hard to say. Sure the Cal's dread is still the worst Dread in the game, but in the next year all the dreads are getting rebalanced. In 6 months the Moros could be the worst dread. It really depends on what you are doing, and who you are flying with as corps/alliances have different ship doctrines. What ever you chose you'll end up cross training a different race's ships, and weapons.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Novah Soul
#23 - 2014-05-16 19:55:49 UTC
Winterblink wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Caldari are still the best and pay no attention to that insignia on the wall behind me.

While Caldari insignias make the best bottle openers, Gallente is still the best in the game.

IDK about being the best really, but like Mario Putzo mentioned, they are definitely the easiest to use for a beginner (or the less effort inclined). I've flown the majority of the subcap lineup, and, for pve stuff at least, I keep coming back to my missile chuckers.

I'll wholeheartedly admit I'm one lazy s.o.b and the sheer merit of going into a mission and remaining stationary while my weapons hit for consistent damage out to lock range really helps facilitate my laziness. Lol

A man is known by the quality of his friends. - Lex Luthor

Marsan
#24 - 2014-05-16 19:56:30 UTC
Lugia3 wrote:
Yes. Gallente Superiority, 10 years coming.

Funny when I started playing this game I remember carefully shooting only one torp at Gallente frigates, because 2 was over kill. Back then 3/4 of the game was playing Cals. Jita 4-4 is Jita because it had the best Cal Navy agent.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#25 - 2014-05-16 20:05:42 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
Both Gallente and Caldari are quite good atm, and it really isn't difficult to see why.
Gallente have hybrids and drones, armor and shield, all performing very well.
Caldari also have hybrids along with LML and RLML launchers which perform exceedingly well.

A perfect Gallente pilot is also a near-perfect Caldari Pilot. Thus, training for gallente currently gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

With the upcoming changes Guristas are getting buffed, Mordus are being introduced, and Serpentis and Angels aren't being nerfed.

Amarr and Minmatar have a lot of nice ships, but pale in comparison to the amount of viable Gallente/Caldari ships IMO.
Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2014-05-16 20:22:58 UTC
Amarr for the win!

We are so win, even our lowliest ships are coated in GOOOOLLLLD!

Minmatar and their obsession with rust and duct-tape...
Gallente and their obsession with raunchy space-vids and fish...
Caldari and thier ships made by children with severe issues out of
the most violent set of Legos ever...

There is only one choice. Amarr!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#27 - 2014-05-16 20:38:16 UTC
I have one thing to answer for this heresy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCvdQZXgDVg
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#28 - 2014-05-16 20:41:39 UTC
I would say that Gallente is NOT the best race for new players.

The main reason would be that blaster boats are not as easy to fly in missions and for PVP your skills at surviving the gauntlet run to your target need to be good. This limits new players to rails or drones (kiting for the most part) and in that skill vector they end up missing out on the one reason to roll Gallente - which is to fly ships that are capable of face-melting OMGWTF damage.

Just my .02 ISK.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Winterblink
#29 - 2014-05-16 21:16:13 UTC
Novah Soul wrote:
Winterblink wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Caldari are still the best and pay no attention to that insignia on the wall behind me.

While Caldari insignias make the best bottle openers, Gallente is still the best in the game.

IDK about being the best really, but like Mario Putzo mentioned, they are definitely the easiest to use for a beginner (or the less effort inclined). I've flown the majority of the subcap lineup, and, for pve stuff at least, I keep coming back to my missile chuckers.

I'll wholeheartedly admit I'm one lazy s.o.b and the sheer merit of going into a mission and remaining stationary while my weapons hit for consistent damage out to lock range really helps facilitate my laziness. Lol

I guess that's my thing: yeah missile based stuff is what some have referred to as "easy mode" because lets face it, there's less you have to keep in mind when using them vs turrets. Thing is starting with that means most people won't move away from it over time, and are probably missing out on the nuances of other race weapons and ship types.

I've spoken at length in the past about how bloody fun the Taranis is and still to this day it's always had that run-up-fast-and-smack-someone-in-the-face allure. :)
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#30 - 2014-05-16 22:08:02 UTC
Odithia wrote:
Is Gallente the best race for new players?

The more I think about it the more is makes sense.

• Most of their ships can be effectively fitted for both shield tank and armor tank, able to fly with every doctrine!

• All their ships uses only 2 weapon systems.
  • They have an excellent and homogenous ship lineup with clear progression along both weapon system with every hull being able to get some benefit from both weapon system.

T1
    Hybrid: Incursus/Atron => Catalyst => Thorax => Brutix => Hyperion/Megathron => Kronos => Moros
    Drone: Tristan => Algos => Vexor => Myrmidon => Dominix => Thanatos
    T2
    Hybrid: Enyo/Taranis/Ares => Eris (eek) => Deimos = > Astarte
    Drone: Ishkur => Ishtar => EOS

• They are not the hardest to fly, one of their weapon system is pretty straightforward, and the other is probably the most forgiving turret system (high tracking/damage orbit@500m or sniping keep@longrange with low capacitor use).

• Their turret system is not dependent on Tech2 to be relevent

• Their cruisers can dish ludicrious amount of dps

• They have ships relevant to every aspect of either PVE (anom, incursion, mission) or PVP (kite, brawl, fleet).

• Drones skills will be usefull with any other crosstrained race

• They are the race that offer access to the most pirate hull (5 out of 7).

Are they the new winmatar ?

To be fair gallente were due some love, when I first started they weren't any good at all.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Herzog Wolfhammer
#31 - 2014-05-16 22:20:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Odithia wrote:
Is Gallente the best race for new players?

The more I think about it the more is makes sense.

• Most of their ships can be effectively fitted for both shield tank and armor tank, able to fly with every doctrine!

• All their ships uses only 2 weapon systems.
  • They have an excellent and homogenous ship lineup with clear progression along both weapon system with every hull being able to get some benefit from both weapon system.

T1
    Hybrid: Incursus/Atron => Catalyst => Thorax => Brutix => Hyperion/Megathron => Kronos => Moros
    Drone: Tristan => Algos => Vexor => Myrmidon => Dominix => Thanatos
    T2
    Hybrid: Enyo/Taranis/Ares => Eris (eek) => Deimos = > Astarte
    Drone: Ishkur => Ishtar => EOS

• They are not the hardest to fly, one of their weapon system is pretty straightforward, and the other is probably the most forgiving turret system (high tracking/damage orbit@500m or sniping keep@longrange with low capacitor use).

• Their turret system is not dependent on Tech2 to be relevent

• Their cruisers can dish ludicrious amount of dps

• They have ships relevant to every aspect of either PVE (anom, incursion, mission) or PVP (kite, brawl, fleet).

• Drones skills will be usefull with any other crosstrained race

• They are the race that offer access to the most pirate hull (5 out of 7).

Are they the new winmatar ?

To be fair gallente were due some love, when I first started they weren't any good at all.

Indeed I think it was up to around late 2010 or 2011 it was common to see threads in this forums usually titled "Why does CCP hate Gallente" or "Why I cross-trained to Caldari/Winmatar".

Gallente was considered a joke at one time, because you can expect to have multiple webs on you long before you got within blaster range while you got either turbo-stomped with HM drakes or nitpicked to death with sniper BS. That plus an intie you could not hit and you might as well self destruct to deny the killmail.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2014-05-16 22:21:48 UTC
Only thing good about Gallente is the sexy Jinmei girls.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#33 - 2014-05-16 22:29:05 UTC
Gal have the mega.
vyshnegradsky
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#34 - 2014-05-16 23:10:40 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Gal have the mega.

I was just about to invite you to the thread to provide your unbiased opinion and you were the last person to post.

I hate you.

This one's a bit over the edge guys.

Locked for breaking... well, pretty much all the rules.

• CCP Falcon
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2014-05-16 23:21:03 UTC
vyshnegradsky wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Gal have the mega.

I was just about to invite you to the thread to provide your unbiased opinion and you were the last person to post.

I hate you.

it's true tho.

gallente because megathron.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Zack Korth
Livid CO.
#36 - 2014-05-16 23:21:53 UTC
@ OP: yes, caldari is useless, minmatar is 2nd, amarr 3rd, and caldari doesn't get a rank, i trained a caldari/amarr toon, never fly anything caldari, it's really honestly just pure horse ****
Pix Severus
Empty You
#37 - 2014-05-16 23:47:06 UTC
Reasons why Caldari are the master race.

- Never been enslaved
- Never enslaved anyone else
- Aren't hippies
- Has the biggest trade hub
- Has the best looking ships (grey > rust, brass, and snot)
- Missiles are the best weapon system (no cap usage, always hits, selectable damage, huge range)
- Most attractive NPCs and players (genetics)
- The word Caldari looks like calamari

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Herzog Wolfhammer
#38 - 2014-05-16 23:47:23 UTC
Zack Korth wrote:
@ OP: yes, caldari is useless, minmatar is 2nd, amarr 3rd, and caldari doesn't get a rank, i trained a caldari/amarr toon, never fly anything caldari, it's really honestly just pure horse ****

You see now it used to be every other noob was Caldari and it was drakes drakes drakes everywhere at one time.

I think the changes have something to do with missile nerfs. Though when the T1 drake was changed people complained that it was a lesser PVP and lesser mission boat where usually a loss in one is a gain in another.

For a while though, the trouble with Gallente was because of Drake. I remember consistently reaching out to 70KM with non-faction HMs while speed tanking a drake with a 100MN AB.

(yeah I'll still do that with a Cyclone because the lows allow drone damage mods for making life even more irritating)

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

GreenSeed
#39 - 2014-05-17 01:10:45 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
at the beginning i could only fly gallente and was VERY disappointed with their gunboats, the vexor was and still is the best solo pvp disposable workhorse, and the domi was, and still is the best PVE drone platform considering its cost. but outside of the Drone boat lineup the other ships were extremely weak.

as soon as i branched out to minnie ships, i never looked back.

i can fly everything at this point, so when i bought a pure pvp character i went for what i already knew was the most fun, and that has to be minnie. only recently i branched out to pvp on amarr ships.

if i had to start again i would have gone minnie from the beginning, the reason is simple, its easier to adapt from minnie to either the mobility limitations and the reliance on overheating that amarr has, or the crapness of Meta hybrids of the gallente/Caldari if your starting point is projectiles.

learning with training ships like the rupture, which can go armor or shield and tactical ships with a good margin for error like the stabber is fun and cheap.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#40 - 2014-05-17 01:36:03 UTC
Caldari race, best race. Enough said...Big smile

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."