These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Mission director software

First post
Author
FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#1 - 2011-12-01 17:05:49 UTC
I am currently running missions to get a solid char for null sec exploration and seriously the missions are total poo! I have done the missions so many times now there are no surprises and no skill required.

So CCP here is what you need to do,

Write a funky piece of software called a Mission director with the following functionality.

* Stitches together "blocks" of mission elements at down time to make a selection of missions.
* Each block can be a group of ships, an event... pretty much anything you find in a mission. Including the location scenery.
* The missions are balanced by applying a value to each block and an overall score to rate the mission on the current lvl system.
* After each DT the MD also calculates a random value used to calculate the chance of an extra event. Such as extra spawns.

Suddenly you have a massively modular system that can give you huge amounts of variability. You can set affinities to the blocks to insure you don't get weird combinations. You could have random events that cause other factions to come in and even attack the same npc elements you are attacking.

Added functions can be added using the block system, storylines can be generated from a modular system if required too.

Now for the clever part, this can drive a system/region/Eve wide story if you do it smart. A few clever variables added to this system could imply a huge story of invading forces, internal factional struggles. This could actually bring a dynamic feel to the mission system and pull us away from the "updated after each expansion" process we are in.

Technically the current missions must be just a set of scripts so the expense of this should not be high on CPU time, a hefty server to dedicate to this would only price up at around $10k from the stuff I use at work.

Well let me know what you think.





FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#2 - 2011-12-01 22:59:07 UTC
Really no opinions?
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2011-12-01 23:39:43 UTC
Why? Missions aren't the end-all of Eve, they are something for the people who just want to grind away at stuff. There is a TON of other content out there in Eve to experience, go try some of it.
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#4 - 2011-12-02 04:44:12 UTC
Mzxf, with your reasoning, If you turn it other way around, no problems in pvp should get fixed because you can run missions and incursions, or mine?

How yes no.
LeHarfang
S0utherN Comfort
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#5 - 2011-12-02 05:17:54 UTC  |  Edited by: LeHarfang
Modular missions reminds me too much of the "mystery dungeon" concept where each "floors" have nothing to do with each others. Overall, you still always redo the same "blocs" of missions all over again.

Nestara Aldent wrote:
Mzxf, with your reasoning, If you turn it other way around, no problems in pvp should get fixed because you can run missions and incursions, or mine?

How yes no.


Its just a matter of priorities really. Eve Online has been sold on the fact that it is a player driven world (and it is still sold on this fact) hence the focus on PVP. Working on "theme park" elements like NPC missions defeats this since players can't influence the NPC corps.
Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#6 - 2011-12-02 06:17:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Nestara Aldent
LeHarfang wrote:
Modular missions reminds me too much of the "mystery dungeon" concept where each "floors" have nothing to do with each others. Overall, you still always redo the same "blocs" of missions all over again.

Nestara Aldent wrote:
Mzxf, with your reasoning, If you turn it other way around, no problems in pvp should get fixed because you can run missions and incursions, or mine?

How yes no.


Its just a matter of priorities really. Eve Online has been sold on the fact that it is a player driven world (and it is still sold on this fact) hence the focus on PVP. Working on "theme park" elements like NPC missions defeats this since players can't influence the NPC corps.


Focus on PVP? Hell, it's a asteroid mining simulator and it always had been! No ore, no ships to pewpew with. See what I did there?

Missions in Eve aren't a themepark, because there's little of overarching and premade themepark story. It's WoW dailies all over the place, you know, epic arcs included. It's still a sandbox. You make your own story or there's none. And because it's a sandbox roleplaying in this game would be much easier than in WoW, without themepark story to stay in the way of storytelling.

In other words, your argument isn't valid. It's just bellitling playstyle you personally don't like, and saying the one you like only matters.

BTW I'll add I'm against overarching, themepark story, which this game fortunately don't have. And even missions are fine, just npcs need to get good ai, maybe the one sleepers have. I haven't fought sleepers however. AFK-ing a mission should alweays be a bad idea, as well as risking one billion worth in ship and modules.

And these pirates we hunt in missions and Empire navies we fight, they should brutally pod us if they blow us up, maybe not in L1/L2 but in L3+ missions yes.
Schnoo
The Schnoo
#7 - 2011-12-02 07:06:10 UTC
TLDR: Add friendly NPCs in missions, wider variety of missions, so on. Also, these concepts can easily be added to FW (PVP) missions. The main idea is just to make the missioning system a bit richer.

Missions are one of the main letdowns new players face when trying out EVE, as it's the first thing they face.
A friend of mine who recently tried EVE, told me: "I was expecting a Freelancer like game, where I could be able to pew pew ships and so on. What I got was a UI cluttered game in which I was given to run boring missions which were all the same."
And he's right, all EVE missions are essentially the same. And people like to fight PVE content, even more so if it's group content. While I haven't missioned much after 2 years or so of a break, what little I did still confirms that there are no:
1) Protect a stationary object mission which you do in coordination with NPCs.
2) Go undetected, slipping pass NPCs and loot/destroy/hack/disable something (precision destruction).
3) Do an assault the stationary object mission in coordination with NPCs.
4) Assist a convoy - all the missions that included assisting convoys happened after those same convoys were already destroyed.
5) Destroy a convoy - really, only the convoy (transport ships) destruction should be required, not three gates of grinding through NPCs.
6) Find a ship/stationary object/asteroid (probing) located in a system
7) Transport goods inside a mission (from one structure to another, perhaps even multiple times). Makes it more than a simple courier mission, as you have to tank/fight the NPCs.
8) Scripted events, f.e boss fights where you'd need to avoid bombs, jam certain NPCs, warp disrupt convoys, so on. Boss NPCs - NPCs who tend to be much stronger than the rest - a lone BS in a t2 mission. Usual "boss" NPCs tend to be weakest link (if we used all the Kruul's DNA people have, we could repopulate planets).
9) Better speed missions - there were a few new missions which had NPCs spawn based on a timer, but we need more, including: catch the NPC - all NPCs studly stay at their optimal, how about we have some that flee (subwarp) at fast speeds 1k+, preferably even stuff that aren't snipable (optimal disrupt if you must).
Not a finite list.

Also, EVE needs a better display of objectives, such as f.e having a "0/1 Sansha Commander" or "0/2 Minmattar Flying Wrecks".

Usually, most current missions are just done by warping someplace and killing stuff. Sometimes, if a player isn't a high skill pilot, people check eve survival guide to see what type of damage they should be doing (if configurable), what type of damage they should defend against (if their omni is too weak), and in which order should they kill stuff in order to minimize spawns. That's about it.
FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#8 - 2011-12-02 12:02:05 UTC
Well if you wanted it to be player controlled allow players to make the missions.

There are many options for doing this.
Bearilian
Man Eating Bears
#9 - 2011-12-02 20:10:21 UTC
I swear, pvp fanaticts will fight against any edit or change to the game that does not directily benefit them...

despite popular beleif there are those of us in the middle of a pvper and a care bear. I enjoy doing absolutely everything eve has to offer. having more interesting missions as mentioned above would be nothing but a good improvement.

anyone who disagrees is trolling.......

+1

Bear
FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#10 - 2011-12-02 20:17:02 UTC
I would think PvP fans would like this as it means less time needed to do missions after the start up cost.... more time for PvP jazz then ¬_¬
Cendres Ange
Frontier Venture
#11 - 2011-12-02 20:59:58 UTC
Schnoo wrote:

Missions are one of the main letdowns new players face when trying out EVE, as it's the first thing they face. [...]
all EVE missions are essentially the same. And people like to fight PVE content, even more so if it's group content.
[...]
Usually, most current missions are just done by warping someplace and killing stuff. Sometimes, if a player isn't a high skill pilot, people check eve survival guide to see what type of damage they should be doing (if configurable), what type of damage they should defend against (if their omni is too weak), and in which order should they kill stuff in order to minimize spawns. That's about it.


Couldnt agree more. Have had some friends try the game out, and their conclusion was all the same. Some want to do PvE before taking on PvP, just to see that they atleast got some grips of the basics of the game.

Also, a big thumbs up on the mission examples!
CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#12 - 2011-12-03 11:02:26 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Spitfire
Inappropriate posts removed.

Please keep it civil.

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#13 - 2011-12-03 12:13:35 UTC
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Inappropriate posts removed.

Please keep it civil.


Well now that a Dev has posted this must be done..... errr oh wait ¬_¬

I remember reading that CCP had relocated mission coding to another studio, is that true?
Drayven
Terra Matera
#14 - 2011-12-04 00:21:51 UTC
I love the idea. And if somehow, they could remove the clouds in missions in the same time!


that would be awsome...
FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#15 - 2011-12-04 00:30:58 UTC
The new backgrounds help with the clouds but I do agree the general layout of the scenery is really poor at best.

Would be nice to have nebulas extend in to the foreground instead of these.
Goose99
#16 - 2011-12-04 00:47:25 UTC
CCP is too lazy to code content, thus, they call it a "sandbox" and pretend it's content.Cool