These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Auto Repeat Dscan would be the best invention evahr!!

First post
Author
Widemouth Deepthroat
Pink Sockers
#61 - 2011-12-03 05:39:47 UTC
Make a dedicated module slot for d-scanner and other electronics.

Automated d-scanner module could have similar penalties as warp core stab so it would only be used by ratters and not have everyone **** the server. Even make it only be able to fit on battleship hulls (since they are slower to align and easier to probe).

Covert ops/recons could have special long range versions.

So many cool things CCP could do.
Selinate
#62 - 2011-12-03 06:01:55 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Auto-scanning only if Local is removed.

For once we agree, and I've suggested this many times before...
XIRUSPHERE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2011-12-03 08:53:21 UTC
If you cannot make effective use of the tools provided you deserve everything coming to you. CCP please wipe our bums because we can't do something as arbitrary as click a god dammed button that gives you enough reaction time to dictate engagements and gather large amounts of intel.

Wtf is wrong with you people anymore, why do you want to automate and dumb down every possible thing in this game that requires even slight thought and input. Whats going to be enough for the lazy down syndrome pilots in this game?

The advantage of a bad memory is that one can enjoy the same good things for the first time several times.

One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.

Illwill Bill
End of employment history
#64 - 2011-12-03 09:11:53 UTC
Server performance issues aside, having some kind of 'active SONAR' would be neat in a few circumstances, assuming that:

• The functionality was provided by a module
  • The use of the module greatly decreases the difficulty of scanning the user down
  • The use of the module alerts anyone with a regular, passive scanner to it's presence.

I like the idea, but it would most likely require a(nother) rework of the entire scanning system.
CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#65 - 2011-12-03 11:11:24 UTC
Moved from "EVE General Discussion".

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#66 - 2011-12-03 13:51:18 UTC
I've been thinking about Dscan "issues" and quite frankly, although automating it would be realistic, it should update on much slower fashion than when updating manually. Like once every 10 seconds or so. I can see it being combined with the Tactical overlay, by having a variable cone (much like in the map, only 3-D and always pointing towards your camera's direction).

I also enjoy the idea of producing a sound everytime a contact is pinged (its effectivly what your doing, pinging a target) asweall as a variable sound for scan intensity when you are pinged.

Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#67 - 2011-12-03 15:31:24 UTC
Morgan North wrote:
I've been thinking about Dscan "issues" and quite frankly, although automating it would be realistic, it should update on much slower fashion than when updating manually. Like once every 10 seconds or so. I can see it being combined with the Tactical overlay, by having a variable cone (much like in the map, only 3-D and always pointing towards your camera's direction).

I also enjoy the idea of producing a sound everytime a contact is pinged (its effectivly what your doing, pinging a target) asweall as a variable sound for scan intensity when you are pinged.

DScan is passive listening, much like a sonar is passive when not pinging. Otherwise you'd be able to detect someone using DScan. Sonars have two modes, one passive and one active. Passive is the normal operation, the sonar operator simply sits there and listens to the ocean around him. Based on what he (and the computer) hears, he can work out a course, range and even identify the target. Active pinging is a "violent" give-me-the-data-now mode. You blast out the signal, completely giving away your position (and presence) in order to get a rapid lock and identification on your target.

The current passive mode works quite ideally in that sense and should remain untouched. Now... if they added an active mode to that, something that would announce your presense when you use it allowing you to not only lock the target quickly but be locked as well... that could be interesting. I don't really like it... but it would be interesting.

Six months in the hole... it changes a man.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#68 - 2011-12-03 16:08:09 UTC
I would love a Mode2/IFF system similar to what aircraft use currently.

Mode 2 is a system that put information on a radar screen in the air traffic control tower. It's a beacon that transmits your information.

Mode 4 is IFF (Friend or foe) that fighter jets use. It's a coded system that aircraft use to determine if that blip on the radar is a friendly or a threat. All you really know is "friendly or not" .

If ships in this game had these features, it could be interesting. You could use IFF to let your corpmates know you are a friendly when you pop up on their "radar".

A Mode 2 style transponder would be helpful in highsec to identify yourself to the Navy. Imagine the fun with noobs forgetting to turn on their ID beacons when entering high sec and getting scrammed by the faction navies - be good practice to make people learn about IFF mode.

Meanwhile, if the IFF transponders actually used real passwords, it would be an opportunity for corp spys/hackers to create some real hijinks.

Such features, if considered, would open up new opportunities.

But yes, the server load..... it would be heavy.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Witchking Angmar
Perkele.
#69 - 2011-12-03 22:33:22 UTC
I have a better suggestion. Instead of automatic D-Scan, probes should be removed from overview again.