These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Gecko

First post
Author
Octoven
Stellar Production
#1 - 2014-05-06 00:21:06 UTC
Not sure if this is a feature request thread so I put in in general, move if you feel it is needed...

Soo...I was just noticing that the new Gecko is the Dragonfly model but as a heavy drone. However, if you look at Gecko variations is shows it as the Faction variation and Tech 1 being Dragonfly...so you havent entered the world of fighters yet a newer player may get these confused, because when you hit the compare tool at the bottom, it tries to compare the Gecko with the Dragonfly. So naturally a newer player would be comparing a fighter to a heavy drone and wondering why it sucks so terribly.

Would it be possible to move the Gecko from the fighter variation to the heavy drone variation category?
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2 - 2014-05-06 00:22:15 UTC

▬▬► Features & Ideas Discussion
FuryBot™ 0.86

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Lothros Andastar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-05-06 04:51:21 UTC
What they need to do is tone it down. It's already superior in every way to two heavy drones.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-05-06 04:55:28 UTC
Lothros Andastar wrote:
What they need to do is tone it down. It's already superior in every way to two heavy drones.

They are just trying to avoid the "Whats with all the crap presents" GD whine from new players they got at XMAS 2013.

The classic was the GD thread from a 3 month old player whining about the Leopard and how useless it was.
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#5 - 2014-05-06 04:56:58 UTC
Lothros Andastar wrote:

If you're fighting an omni-tanked target. In some cases exploiting resist holes with standard heavies MAY be better. Particularly after the expansion.

But yeah... these things are pretty crazy. And we don't even have the faction DDAs to play with yet.

Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#6 - 2014-05-06 04:57:47 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Lothros Andastar wrote:

They are just trying to avoid the "Whats with all the crap presents" GD whine from new players they got at XMAS 2013.

The classic was the GD thread from a 3 month old player whining about the Leopard and how useless it was.

I sort of agreed with that noob though. But yes, the gifts from 2013 xmas were pretty bad. I got a buuunch of unfunny random items.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Octoven
Stellar Production
#7 - 2014-05-06 05:01:39 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Lothros Andastar wrote:

I wouldn't say the Leopard was entirely useless, I mean I use mine when I want to get somewhere pretty fast to assist or something. Some of that stuff was a bit useless, especially if they repeat it since reprocessing is getting nerfed.
Aalysia Valkeiper
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2014-05-10 03:18:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Aalysia Valkeiper
Actually, the gecko has been made available as a 'super-heavy' drone for CCP's 11th birthday bash.

Comparing it to other 'heavy' drones has brought me to the realization this is NOT a heavy drone or a fighter, but a completely new type of drone.

Could it be the 'prototype' for a new line of 'super-heavies'?

Also, this gecko can rightfully be called a 'frigate-killer'. Get a squadron of these (or any of the other possible 'super-heavies') deployed and the big, slow battleships and capitol ships can rightfully say they're quite safe from a frigate.

I'm also wondering if this is prepartory to a new class of light (Battlecruiser sized) carriers. A class that deploys the super-heavy drone in place of fighters, but still uses the expensive 'drone control unit' to deploy additional drones.

EDIT:
On second thought, forget the 'drone control unit' and any additional drones. 5 geckos or any 'empire' drones of equivalent power would more than suffice in most low- or medium- intensity encounters.

Also, the ship itself would not have gun turrets or missile launchers. Such weapondry would make this ship simply over-powered.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-05-10 03:23:09 UTC
Lothros Andastar wrote:

It's going to be more reasonable compared to heavies come Kronos.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#10 - 2014-05-10 04:32:54 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
It's going to be more reasonable compared to heavies come Kronos.

NPCs like Geckos.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#11 - 2014-05-10 20:05:18 UTC
Octoven wrote:
Not sure if this is a feature request thread so I put in in general, move if you feel it is needed...
Yep, it is and yes moving is needed...Blink

This thread has been moved to Features & Ideas Discussion

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#12 - 2014-05-10 20:29:03 UTC
Lothros Andastar wrote:

pre-summer expansion. when drone interfacing skills changes to +10% per level rather than 20%, heavies get their base stats changed to compensate for the skill change. Gecko's may not, which means they may lose 25% of their damage in summer.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2014-05-10 20:55:05 UTC
Lothros Andastar wrote:

what? its huge size and larger bandwidth req are not already toned enough?

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#14 - 2014-05-10 21:28:21 UTC
The Gecko isn't really a Drone or a Fighter it is a Hybrid of the two systems.

I think CCP should look into development of this new type of Hybrid System for the other races as well including the development of ship for each race to facilitate the hybrid design.

Carriers and Fighters that are not Carriers and Fighter that can operate in high sector....which is exactly what High Sector needs.

Octoven
Stellar Production
#15 - 2014-05-12 05:03:35 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
The Gecko isn't really a Drone or a Fighter it is a Hybrid of the two systems.

I think CCP should look into development of this new type of Hybrid System for the other races as well including the development of ship for each race to facilitate the hybrid design.

Carriers and Fighters that are not Carriers and Fighter that can operate in high sector....which is exactly what High Sector needs.

I really dont mind if its a hybrid or not, I just dont think it sits well with less than knowledgeable players that one variation is a heavy drone and the other is a fighter.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#16 - 2014-05-12 06:04:51 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

How did you figure that out? Of all the things hi sec needs, a mini carrier is probably the least of them.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#17 - 2014-05-12 10:46:37 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Lothros Andastar wrote:

pre-summer expansion. when drone interfacing skills changes to +10% per level rather than 20%, heavies get their base stats changed to compensate for the skill change. Gecko's may not, which means they may lose 25% of their damage in summer.

This, but the velocity and tracking is still pretty OP.
Can't kite ishtar geckos in mwd cruisers and you can't get under the guns.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.