These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I'm stubborn and want to fly my darned hulk, without exploding!

First post
Author
Velicitia
XS Tech
#41 - 2014-05-09 10:35:15 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Ilovetomine wrote:
Why should I be forced into a fleet scenario with a Hulk, when that's what I want to fly.

because you want to fly a ship designed to be used in a fleet.

it's like me asking why i have to unlock my door with a key, rather than a rasher of bacon.

Well, they tried that, but people kept eating their "keys".

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Misa Hase
#42 - 2014-05-09 10:37:36 UTC
Miners who live in remote areas, don't go afk without docking, watch local, use d-scan, fit a proper tank, and pilot the correct mining vessel for surviving potential ganks have high chance of not exploding. Is the difference in yield that much that you are willing to loose a Hulk repeatedly just to stay piloting it?

“You know my Father used to have a saying, that only where there is battle being waged, is there life being lived.”

Tar'z
Doomheim
#43 - 2014-05-09 10:44:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Tar'z
Misa Hase wrote:
Miners who live in remote areas, don't go afk without docking, watch local, use d-scan, fit a proper tank, and pilot the correct mining vessel for surviving potential ganks have high chance of not exploding. Is the difference in yield that much that you are willing to loose a Hulk repeatedly just to stay piloting it?

This.

Not enough yield to be worth the trouble, especially with it's crappy cargohold. Hulk is useless unless you have several of them with a freighter on grid.

Also confirming permits do not stop you from being ganked. My gank squad specifically targets players with permits for instance.

Also confirming Solecist Project needs to get a life and stop trolling random industrialists at every chance he gets. Trolling miners is no longer cool, you know. It's largely viewed now as a mindless sheep activity.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2014-05-09 11:14:24 UTC
1 x hulk

+ gecko

+ damage control
+ bulkheads
+ new hull rigs in summer patch

Solecist Project
#45 - 2014-05-09 11:15:35 UTC
She did actually respond.

My bad.

I'll never get used to having two chars to watch over. -.-

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Solecist Project
#46 - 2014-05-09 11:16:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Tar'z wrote:
Misa Hase wrote:

This.

Not enough yield to be worth the trouble, especially with it's crappy cargohold. Hulk is useless unless you have several of them with a freighter on grid.

Also confirming permits do not stop you from being ganked. My gank squad specifically targets players with permits for instance.

Also confirming Solecist Project needs to get a life and stop trolling random industrialists at every chance he gets. Trolling miners is no longer cool, you know. It's largely viewed now as a mindless sheep activity.

Except that I never did and you fail at trying to seed crap that lacks base in reality.

Furthermore, my posting history on this,
the other and my former char
prominently show you that I always have seen it as mindless sheep activity,
mostly done by noobs anyway. :)

But good luck trying anyway... ^_^

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2014-05-09 11:31:39 UTC
Ilovetomine wrote:
TL;DR- Rage about inability to safely-ish fly a hulk in empire, and does anyone have a hulk fit that outyields a mackinaw, but can survive a gank.

A bit of carebear in me today came out, and I honestly think It is justified. I was mulling around the idea of flying a mackinaw, when I was just struck by a pang of annoyance, and regret.

Why should I be forced into a fleet scenario with a Hulk, when that's what I want to fly.

I get what retort will be coming, Why cant I fly X because Y, even though its actually meant for Z.

But seriously though. Unless I have a fleet of friends, live in nullsec, or have an alt repping me(I thought about sacrificing a high slot or 2 for remote shield transfers on my orca), I can't actually fly my Hulk without being gangled.

I really just don't want to be that mindless Mackinaw Borg, just like everyone else. But If I want to fly my hulk (literally paper thin at 12.000-ish EHP), I have to have friends.

I lieu of this, does anyone have a hulk fit, that out yields that of a mackinaw, that can live through a catalyst gank?

Buy permit. Fly tanked-out Skiff, instead. Trust me.

But, seriously, still buy the permit. Friendly New Order Agents are standing by, hoping you officially join the ranks of the Gallant. They really are just trying to help.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#48 - 2014-05-09 11:33:10 UTC
If you're paying attention to local, dscan and any iffy looking ships that sit close to your hulk you'll have vastly improved chances of avoiding a gank over people who don't do these things. Also:

Loraine Gess wrote:
Permit tank it.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Solecist Project's Alt
Doomheim
#49 - 2014-05-09 11:54:02 UTC
Jarod wrote:

Buy permit. Fly tanked-out Skiff, instead. Trust me.

But, seriously, still buy the permit. Friendly New Order Agents are standing by, hoping you officially join the ranks of the Gallant. They really are just trying to help themselves.

FTFY.
Sarah Flynt
Red Cross Mercenaries
Silent Infinity
#50 - 2014-05-09 12:02:19 UTC
As you're mining with an Orca, you don't need to tank a ganker till CONCORD arrives. You only have to tank him long enough as it takes you to switch ships. Here is what you do:

Prerequisites:

• make sure you only have mining crystals in your Hulk's cargo bay. Put anything else that you want to carry with you into the Orca's fleet hangar
  • set your drones to passive. You can't switch ships at an Orca with a weapon's timer
  • put a brick tanked ship into the Orca's ship mainenance bay for each miner. I use Procurers for this (>100k EHP with fleet boosts) as they are small and cheap
  • always stay within 2500m range of the Orca
  • always have the Orca's ship maintenace bay opened with your mining chars to safe time
  • only two miners per Orca as it can only carry two Hulks

If a gank goes down:

1. stop your mining lasers
  2. if you use mining drones: abandon them
  3. jettison the ore from your Hulk's ore hangar
  4. right click your Procurer in the Orca's ship maintenance bay and click "Board Ship from Bay"
  5. activate and overheat all tank modules on the Procurer
  6. optional: make fun of the ganker in local

Explanation: You can only store a ship in an Orca's ship maintenance bay if you're within 2500m range and if the hangars are either empty or only contain ammo (mining crystals count as ammo). Always jettison the ore, don't put it in the Orca's fleet hangar: the fleet hangar could be nearly full. You can pick up the ore after the gank is over. If you're using mining drones: always abandon them because if you're unlucky they're on their way back and put their mined ore into the Hulk's ore hangar right after you have jettisoned your ore. With a little bit of practice all of this can be done before the ganker even starts shooting. Also: don't forget to tank your Orca. It's your life safer (DC II and Bulkheads are a must these days)!

Sick of High-Sec gankers? Join the public channel Anti-ganking and the dedicated intel channel Gank-Intel !

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#51 - 2014-05-09 12:12:34 UTC
Easiest way to mine in relative safety from ganks is to get a frigate, do lvl1 combat missions unti you find one with asteroids and then mine in the mission dungeon. Gankers rarely go through the extra effort of scanning down ships, especially with the abundance of targets in readily available belts.

Remember: Not being there is the only reliable tank of a non-combatant.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#52 - 2014-05-09 12:40:33 UTC
No I'm not running a locator and dying to your battle hulk.
Lugalbandak
Lego3
#53 - 2014-05-09 12:45:57 UTC
well its a fleet ship really so.

choose your trade off , somewhat unsafe a hulk high yield or somewhat safe in a mack with less yield

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Montine FleurdeLys
DEEP-13
#54 - 2014-05-09 14:03:11 UTC
Ilovetomine wrote:
TL;DR- Rage about inability to safely-ish fly a hulk in empire, and does anyone have a hulk fit that outyields a mackinaw, but can survive a gank.

A bit of carebear in me today came out, and I honestly think It is justified. I was mulling around the idea of flying a mackinaw, when I was just struck by a pang of annoyance, and regret.

I get what retort will be coming, Why cant I fly X because Y, even though its actually meant for Z.

But seriously though. Unless I have a fleet of friends, live in nullsec, or have an alt repping me(I thought about sacrificing a high slot or 2 for remote shield transfers on my orca), I can't actually fly my Hulk without being gangled.

I really just don't want to be that mindless Mackinaw Borg, just like everyone else. But If I want to fly my hulk (literally paper thin at 12.000-ish EHP), I have to have friends.

I lieu of this, does anyone have a hulk fit, that out yields that of a mackinaw, that can live through a catalyst gank?

Use an alt in a rookie ship to shoot something illegal in the belt you want to mine in. Concord will come and kill the alt, and then hang around the immediate area. Mine away with Concord patrolling right there with you. Gankers get locked down and killed immediately. Unless three or four of them gather and fire at you simultaneously, you're safe. But then again, if you see the gankers gathering as they would have to, to beat Concord's reflexes -- GTFO or you deserve to die.
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#55 - 2014-05-09 14:26:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Tauranon
Montine FleurdeLys wrote:
Ilovetomine wrote:

Use an alt in a rookie ship to shoot something illegal in the belt you want to mine in. Concord will come and kill the alt, and then hang around the immediate area. Mine away with Concord patrolling right there with you. Gankers get locked down and killed immediately. Unless three or four of them gather and fire at you simultaneously, you're safe. But then again, if you see the gankers gathering as they would have to, to beat Concord's reflexes -- GTFO or you deserve to die.

its an exploit to deliberately spawn them up for protection, it is however not an exploit to deliberate move them away, which gankers know how to do.

Common sense says warp out before the bad guys arrive, and if you aren't able to discern the bad guys are going to arrive, then choose a system with less people in it.

After the kronos patch is live, you can drop a pos in a remote system, compress what you mine and run it to market with a blockade runner, that carries about half a (sensible) freighter load of raw minerals (when compressed). It even means that a solo can make reasonable use of a stationless system, so there really isn't a reason you can't be defended (as I am in null) with a powerful local channel intel.

When you are done mining for the day, you can unanchor the compressor and shut down the pos so its not using fuel, ie you don't have to pay 100m/mo to keep a refinery up 24x7
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#56 - 2014-05-09 14:34:21 UTC
You could have a noob alt in the belt with a small smartbomb and activate it as soon as the gankers warp in. Then CONCORD will be already on the way before they even start locking.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#57 - 2014-05-09 14:41:26 UTC
Mine somewhere where you won't get ganked. There are places.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Xavier Holtzman
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#58 - 2014-05-09 14:41:37 UTC
Put officer mods on your Hullks. Ugh

I do not like the men on this spaceship. They are uncouth and fail to appreciate my better qualities. I have something of value to contribute to this mission if only they would realize it. - Bill Frug

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#59 - 2014-05-09 14:43:09 UTC
Ilovetomine wrote:

Unless I have a fleet of friends, I can't actually fly my Panther without getting ganked.
Unless I have a fleet of friends, my Cheetah is useless.
Unless I have a fleet of friends, my Orca is just an expensive killmail waiting to happen.
Unless I have a fleet of friends, my Falcon can't kill anything.

Unless I have a fleet of friends, I can't actually have access to all Eve's mechanics, ships and opportunities because Eve is designed to have certain areas of gameplay that encourage or even require team play.

Get some friends.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#60 - 2014-05-09 14:48:14 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Unless I have a fleet of friends, I can't actually fly my Panther without getting ganked.
Unless I have a fleet of friends, my Cheetah is useless.
Unless I have a fleet of friends, my Orca is just an expensive killmail waiting to happen.
Unless I have a fleet of friends, my Falcon can't kill anything.

1) Nope. Stabs. And Cyno Alts.

2) Uhh... nope. Exploration.

3) Possibly, though its still a better freighter for tonnages less than 100,000

4) Confirming Flacon has no gun slots or drone bay

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann