These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solo PvP - Ship Size ?

Author
Ambassador Prismatic
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-05-09 08:42:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Ambassador Prismatic
Why are Battleships so Bad ? It seem to me they are not very useful anywhere.

I'm new and I am reading a lot these days about the game. (I played on a trial acc for two weeks prior to buying the game yesterday with this one).

If I get everything right, you can maybe kill a tackler with 5 medium drones and faction precision torpedos in something like a Raven or Typhoon. Or focus on Drones in a Dominix. But every Battleship with Guns doesnt seem to have anything to defend vs tacklers. Is that right ?

Can the Micro Jump Drive be interrupted by a Scrambler or something else ??
How useful is the Module in a Solo PvP Battleship ? Or maybe the better Question is, is there any way to make a Battleship viable in solo pvp ?

My point being when I look at the numbers, fast Medium Sized Ships seem to be better in almost anything. Especially the ability to kill a small target fast an then having some speet to get away seems the way to go…

So Ships like the Maller are probably bad, and Ships like the Omen are probably good since you maybe can somewhat kite stronger ships and with a little luck get rid of a takler fast enough.

So what are the best Ships to do Solo PvP in ?

My Dream was to do Solo PvP in a Battleship, now im sad… any hope for me ?
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-05-09 08:46:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Battleship can be very usefull. Any ship is usefull if used properly.

I prefer using a battleship when I am engaging multiple targets or when I am faced with a slugfest.

The MJD can be stopped with a Scram yes.

So yeah once again, it depends on how you use your ship. There is also no best ship for SOLO PVP.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2014-05-09 09:12:53 UTC
Ambassador Prismatic wrote:

If I get everything right, you can maybe kill a tackler with 5 medium drones and faction precision torpedos in something like a Raven or Typhoon. Or focus on Drones in a Dominix. But every Battleship with Guns doesnt seem to have anything to defend vs tacklers. Is that right ?

Neuts...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#4 - 2014-05-09 09:22:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Miriya Zakalwe
In addition to Kane's comments I'd ask lowsec? Hisec wardec? Nullsec? All can be very different with regard to ships and roles.

I would not recommend a battleship for lowsec solo PvP, for example, as gangs of smaller ships will just eat it. Most battleship soloing in low is smartbomb gatecamping as far as I can tell. That dynamic can be completely different in null or highsec.
SKINE DMZ
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-05-09 09:38:08 UTC  |  Edited by: SKINE DMZ
Battleships aren't great to be used for solo depending on where you aim on flying, specifically in lowsec because they are slow, and can be easily hunted by small gangs. I think a lot of people will use a cruiser size for the more expensive solo pvp, like a deimos or navy omen issue. Saying that a lot of PVP in lowsec is frigates/cruisers, battlecruisers and battleships are more likely used in bigger fleets in null(you will definitely see them in low as well though), or wardec/merc stuff in highsec.

I disagree

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-05-09 09:52:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
don't overlook the versatility and effectiveness of the smaller ship classes in eve
bigger is not always better, just more expensive

start out with a standard tech 1 frigate, then move onto destroyer or pirate faction frigate or an Assault Frigate (tech 2 advanced frigate) as your confidence and wallet grow.

An Ishtar will be pretty versatile aswell .. excellent dps from the drones & point/webs from the ship.

what do you enjoy flying and how much isk are you comfortable with losing in an explosion can also be just as important in determining what ships you use for pvp.

edit
don't overlook making friends and pvp'ing as part of a group
an EAF or Recon can help ruin someones' day just as easily as a dps focused ship
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-05-09 14:37:41 UTC
So what are the best Ships to do Solo PvP in ?

As a new player, anything you're comfortable to lose by the DOZENS.

My first month solo pvping in lowsec (as a 1-month old toon) was great fun, I even got a good number of kills, but I lost 120 ships.

Solo PVP is awesome but one of the most difficult things to do in EVE. Most players will blob you, while the ones that engage alone are often VERY good.

The ONLY way to learn and get better is practicing over and over again - which, even if you're a good learner, entails eventually losing hundreds of ships.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-05-09 14:48:11 UTC
Battleships make you a big lumbering target for experienced gangs. You can't easily get away either. Not to mention they are much more expensive than a T1 cruiser or frigate.

If you are new, stick to cruisers and below. You will be losing ships left and right. I have a T1 rifter fit which killmails to less than 1mil.
Ambassador Prismatic
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-05-09 14:49:15 UTC
I will maybe join FW but I'm not expecting to do very well in Solo PvP anytime soon. Right now im gathering knowledge nothing more.

Thanks for all the Pointers, just to clearify, I dont wanna do Solo PvP in a Battleship the question was meant in general not for myself or what I personally wanna do.

I myself would love to have a group of like 8-10 players and then fly with good coordinated cheep fleets. Like 4 Inquisitors, maybe a dragoon to neutralize and some punisher's maybe some sensor dampening or other useful frigates. And then see how it goes. My hope is that a good composition and good coordination can be semi successful even if they are only Frigates.

Not sure if it will work Roll

Ruban Spangler
EVE University
Ivy League
#10 - 2014-05-09 16:29:27 UTC
When you have the skills, experience and isk a Machariel will fit your solo pvp dreams.
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-05-09 17:00:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Velicitia wrote:

Neuts...

This.

Also, Vindi (shivers)

EDIT: And if you have additional cash this perhaps. (tequila-heebies shiver)
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#12 - 2014-05-09 18:39:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Gregor Parud
Can the Micro Jump Drive be interrupted by a Scrambler or something else ??
How useful is the Module in a Solo PvP Battleship ? Or maybe the better Question is, is there any way to make a Battleship viable in solo pvp ?

When you're solo PVPing you're going to be outnumbered, the chances of running into a true 1v1 generally doesn't happen much at all, and thus there's various ways of solving that.

You could go brute force (using a BS) and simply have more EHP and hope to outlast the targets while you slowly take them down but realistically that won't happen much simply because of the dps/EHP of a BS compared to, say, 3 BC so the "stand and fight" generally won't work too well. And since a BS is too slow to avoid trouble you will have to take on each and every situation you end up in, head on. You leave the choice of aggression to others, partly because you're too slow to catch them and mostly because you're too slow to stay away from them and that results in you only fighting situations others think you'll lose (because if they feel they'd might lose they simply won't engage you).

If you're fast then YOU get the decide if there'll be an engagement or not, if the situation isn't favourable for you then you can GTFO and if it IS favourable to you you'll have the scan res and speed to make it happen. And even if it's multiple targets you can warp/move around a bit to pull them apart resulting in the fast ones (which generally tend to be the squishy ones) being close to you while the big guys are far away for now so you can engage these faster singled out targets.

On top of all that there's many game mechanics at work to prevent the "bigger is better" mentality; Tracking, sig radius, speed, scan res etc all help smaller ships deal with bigger ships. All in all you're just better off fighting "smart" and leaving yourself options than to go "pub brawl mode" taking on everyone who chooses to fight you.

Having said all that, you can still get kills flying a solo BS and the MJD WILL help with this because it forces people to get close to you in order to stop you from MJDing away. So if you set up a BS with webs being able to apply dps at 1-15km you could use the "come and get me, if you're too scared to scram me I'll simply MJD away, up to you" and it HAS helped solo BS PVP but if you run into a slightly bigger group they'll still go "lol, solo slow guy..... ZERG!!!!".

Yes, MJD has helped it in that you now have a few more options but overall it hasn't solved the solo BS PVP problem and logically you're still better off using a kiter. There are of course exceptions and people going "look at this blinged out ship yo, I killed me some fools with it while I'm using gang links, solo4lyfe lol" but realistically, just no.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2014-05-09 19:15:22 UTC
I use battleships for docking games.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#14 - 2014-05-10 05:11:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Alright,

I just moved to NPC null, and naturally the trade hubs are seriously camped with one or two guys outside rather often.

Right now I'm just weighing the potential of fitting a megathron or hyperion for a little docking fun. Of course, those two might suddenly become 10 if the station disgorges itself, so is it even worth the effort, or will I just be feeding them a free km?

Currently, I'm still building my fleet of pre-fitted pvp ship in the area.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#15 - 2014-05-10 05:53:21 UTC
Ever faced a Bhaalgorn or a neut domi with a frigate ?

It was fast, it was brutal, it was merciless and I wasn't there. Sad
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#16 - 2014-05-10 06:29:05 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Alright,

I just moved to NPC null, and naturally the trade hubs are seriously camped with one or two guys outside rather often.

Right now I'm just weighing the potential of fitting a megathron or hyperion for a little docking fun. Of course, those two might suddenly become 10 if the station disgorges itself, so is it even worth the effort, or will I just be feeding them a free km?

Currently, I'm still building my fleet of pre-fitted pvp ship in the area.

You'll play docking games 2-3 times, 4th time you'll undock and they'll undock a carrier bumping you off the station and you'll get killed.