These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What kind of world would Eve be without internet anonymity?

First post
Author
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#161 - 2014-05-08 03:55:12 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Pfft. Digi told me it was time to cook the calamari rings that were approaching the end of their storage life in the bottom of the chest freezer.

I'm not even a Goon.

And I never bought calamari rings.

One time I was leaving a mall and I forgot where I had parked my car. Digi sent me a text message telling me where my car was parked relative to where I was standing, and that he topped off my brake fluid. He also told me that my tire tread depth was too low to safely make the weekend trip I had just planned.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#162 - 2014-05-08 04:00:04 UTC
Andski wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:
Pfft. Digi told me it was time to cook the calamari rings that were approaching the end of their storage life in the bottom of the chest freezer.

I'm not even a Goon.

And I never bought calamari rings.

One time I was leaving a mall and I forgot where I had parked my car. Digi sent me a text message telling me where my car was parked relative to where I was standing, and that he topped off my brake fluid. He also told me that my tire tread depth was too low to safely make the weekend trip I had just planned.

You left out the sexy bits where he organized your underwear drawer and polished all of your marital aids.
Gerald Sphinx
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#163 - 2014-05-08 04:47:13 UTC
Unlikely. The only people who will likely know who you really are is the NSA and they won't tell anyone because then they have to admit that they were snooping on you. ;)
Percival Rose
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#164 - 2014-05-08 11:05:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Percival Rose
Hevymetal wrote:
With all the crazy laws being passed in various countries. What would the ramifications be if noone's real identity could remain hidden? Kinda like China already, but to a greater extent.

Would most Eve players remain sadistic psychos or would their attitudes and playstyles change? Would you still gank and pod that helpless miner knowing he could very well track you down in real life?

How much of a difference would it make in the Eve universe knowing (PlayerX) is really John Doe? How many players would continue to actually play? Would it mean the death of Eve as we know it or merely an evolution to a nicer universe?

Are you kidding me?! At the end of the day EVE Online is a game. If you are angered over a gank or pod kill to an extent where you want to hunt me down in real life, you are taking it too seriously.
Some of my friends, and even some of my enemies in game know my real identity. I am not worried about them hunting me down because anyone taking EVE that serious does not want to get banned over it.

For arguments sake, wouldn't the world be a better place if people would settle their differences in New Eden instead of causing harm out of game?

Do you know who's going to inherit New Eden? Arms dealers. Because everyone else is too busy killing each other.

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#165 - 2014-05-08 12:14:06 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
People can find you now if they are really determined.

Challenge accepted.
Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#166 - 2014-05-08 12:21:25 UTC
Percival Rose wrote:

Are you kidding me?! At the end of the day EVE Online is a game. If you are angered over a gank or pod kill to an extent where you want to hunt me down in real life, you are taking it too seriously.

Well there was a story about a Counter-Strike player who hunted someone down and stabbed for beating them in a knife fight. Obviously since they suck at knives the guy survived.

Anyways, if you take a gander on just about any mildly controversial Facebook page you'll see that real names pose no real obstacle to spewing out hatred on the internet. What makes internet rage so easy is that you don't have to look the person in the face and say it. If we all arrange a GD picnic it would probably be slightly more amiable.
Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#167 - 2014-05-08 14:00:05 UTC
Jur Tissant wrote:

Well there was a story about a Counter-Strike player who hunted someone down and stabbed for beating them in a knife fight. Obviously since they suck at knives the guy survived.

Anyways, if you take a gander on just about any mildly controversial Facebook page you'll see that real names pose no real obstacle to spewing out hatred on the internet. What makes internet rage so easy is that you don't have to look the person in the face and say it. If we all arrange a GD picnic it would probably be slightly more amiable.

There have been quite a few cases where people have been murdered over game items. Off the top of my head, there was a stabbing in China for example, where the guy DIDN'T live. There was a murder suicide in South Korea where a woman got Blizzard to ban her ex's WoW account. There have been a lot of fun things like that.

That's not even getting into stuff like Goonswarms SL branch WTC reenactment or any of the other stuff that their many branches have done that people OUTSIDE the game would find deeply offensive, but get away with due to Internet Anonymity.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#168 - 2014-05-08 17:18:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Jur Tissant wrote:

There have been quite a few cases where people have been murdered over game items. Off the top of my head, there was a stabbing in China for example, where the guy DIDN'T live. There was a murder suicide in South Korea where a woman got Blizzard to ban her ex's WoW account. There have been a lot of fun things like that.

That's not even getting into stuff like Goonswarms SL branch WTC reenactment or any of the other stuff that their many branches have done that people OUTSIDE the game would find deeply offensive, but get away with due to Internet Anonymity.

People kill each other over parking spots, this is hardly video game specific. You can encounter psycho's anywhere.

Frankly, if it came to that, Goons would probably be less worried about retaliation in RL than most folks. After all, if you were disturbed enough to actually try and bring your fantasy life grudge to bear in reality, what would protect you from them? Smile

Of course, being intelligent (if obnoxious) folks, they would simply gather evidence and point law enforcement in your direction and let the inevitable happen. But if thing got out of control, I somehow doubt the disturbed loner with anger management issues is going to end up coming out on top vs. a very large, very bold, and very tech savvy community of that size.

Or even more likely, they would escalate things and end up making a very tidy side income by bringing law suits against anyone foolish enough to come take a poke at them. Blink

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Xero reX
Doomheim
#169 - 2014-05-08 17:42:28 UTC
People are people so why should it be you and I should get along so awfully? So we're different colors And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs.

It's obvious you hate me though I've done nothing wrong I've never even met you so what could I have done? I can't understand what makes a man hate another man help me understand.
Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#170 - 2014-05-08 17:51:28 UTC
I don't think it would be much different, for me anyway. I act pretty much the same way around my peers, or my pod brothers. Only difference is that I am a very touchy feely kind of person, and i like to horse around, shoving others and stuff. You know, playful nudges. Outside of that, I speak my mind here as much as I do in RL.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

AkJon Ferguson
JC Ferguson and Son Ltd
Ferguson Alliance
#171 - 2014-05-09 14:44:35 UTC
Whatever would I do without my Ak? Hmmm, tough question. I'd probably get primaried less, though.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#172 - 2014-05-09 15:48:44 UTC
Boring and dull.

That is how it would be, OP.

Boring and dull.

The interesting risks that players take would be non-existent.

No 60b isk scams.

No 500b isk heists/sov drops.

Boring.

Really, really unequivocally boring.

No singing ransoms.

No awoxing.

No non-consensual pvp.

Boring.

Ugh

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#173 - 2014-05-09 16:43:55 UTC
Hevymetal wrote:
With all the crazy laws being passed in various countries. What would the ramifications be if noone's real identity could remain hidden? Kinda like China already, but to a greater extent.

Would most Eve players remain sadistic psychos or would their attitudes and playstyles change? Would you still gank and pod that helpless miner knowing he could very well track you down in real life?

How much of a difference would it make in the Eve universe knowing (PlayerX) is really John Doe? How many players would continue to actually play? Would it mean the death of Eve as we know it or merely an evolution to a nicer universe?

Trackable identity in real life is one of the main reasons why the real world isn't more like EVE, and certainly if identity was trackable in the game, EVE would be a much kinder, gentler place. Conversely, if identity were as un-trackable in real life as it is in EVE, the world would be a dozen times worse of a hellhole than it is. Fundamentally, trackable identity means you can be held accountable for your actions.

Lack of trackable identity in the game is also the main reason why it isn't a very good simulator of real life - i.e. it doesn't actually reveal some dark, Lord of the Flies side to human character when people are free, it only reveals what happens when you don't have trackable identity in a game.

Basically, in real life, the cost of hiding your tracks is usually greater than the benefit you get from trolling, so from a standing start most people don't bother, the benefit of being nice and toeing the line is much greater; however, once a few have started, ways and means of getting round these things get passed on, and that's why there's always a criminal "class", but it's always fairly restricted sociologically (on the whole, usually to familiies, actually).

Internet anonymity is also one of the main reasons why we can't have nice things in MMOs - i.e., there are all sorts of possible MMOs out there that from a design point of view would be intricate and wonderful to play, if everyone played by the rules, but because of internet anonymity, game developers have to waste their time building in safeguards against griefing, exploitation, etc., so MMOs tend to fall to a lowest common denominator of gameplay design.

And even with trackable identity in the real world, because some people will take the choice to try and evade consequences, that's also partly the reason why we can't have better societies - so many safeguards have to be built in against "free riding" of one kind or another, i.e. societies have to be robust against all kinds of exploitative moves, that they tend to end up bland and progress is very slow.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#174 - 2014-05-09 17:53:47 UTC
Oh yes, because public identities would curtail all of those horrific crimes that occur in EVE now like...

Name calling,
Ganking your ship,
Making a joke at your expense,
Giving an opinion that differs from your own,
Trolling you,
Being blunt,
Lying to you,
Scamming you out of imaginary pixels,
Out playing you in game.

The list goes on and on.

Let's push for this change right away, to finally put an end to the horror that I outlined above. We cannot tolerate these atrocities one moment long.

Because once the privacy curtain is raised nerds from all over the world will rise up (individually of course, because they don't know the first thing about social interaction) and hunt down those psychotic bastards that have the gall to separate fantasy from reality, or commit the unforgivable crime of being rude.

Thank goodness this can't possibly backfire and actually give the more aggressive members of our community even more tools to mess with people.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Miichael Epic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#175 - 2014-05-09 21:36:34 UTC
Honestly? A lot of these sick twisted internet bad asses wouldn't play anymore. They'd be too scared that they'd be tracked down in real life by real legit real life bad asses.

These idiots who gank miners and mobile depots / tractor units and tell you mm delicious tears, htfu and call you carebear and ect wouldn't do that anymore because you could very well show up at their door and go Jay & Silent Bob on their asses.

*knock knock knock*

*door opens*

You: Excuse me sir, are you James 315 in the EVE Universe?

Him: Um, yes...why?

*ass whipping proceeds*

Case and point.
Dave Stark
#176 - 2014-05-09 21:38:21 UTC
Miichael Epic wrote:
Honestly? A lot of these sick twisted internet bad asses wouldn't play anymore. They'd be too scared that they'd be tracked down in real life by real legit real life bad asses.

These idiots who gank miners and mobile depots / tractor units and tell you mm delicious tears, htfu and call you carebear and ect wouldn't do that anymore because you could very well show up at their door and go Jay & Silent Bob on their asses.

*knock knock knock*

*door opens*

*ass whipping proceeds*

Case and point.

or you just say you don't play eve, see the confused look in their face, and get back to playing eve without incident.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#177 - 2014-05-09 21:51:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Dave Stark wrote:
Miichael Epic wrote:

*knock knock knock*

*door opens*

*ass whipping proceeds*

Case and point.

or you just say you don't play eve, see the confused look in their face, and get back to playing eve without incident.

I've long since adopted a policy of pretending I have no idea what's going on if I am asked who I am.

Unless they have a badge, I'm Steve from Hoboken New Jersey.

[edit: Oh, and for several reasons including having lived in Fabulous Las Vegas and having been doxxed by a sick freak social justice warrior just like Miichael Epic, I always have a loaded gun handy, too.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#178 - 2014-05-09 22:00:23 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

I've long since adopted a policy of pretending I have no idea what's going on if I am asked who I am.

[edit: Oh, and for several reasons including having lived in Fabulous Las Vegas and having been doxxed by a sick freak social justice warrior just like Miichael Epic, I always have a loaded gun handy, too.

You do realize now they know to a) pose as a delivery man asking you to sign for something, and B) show up in full body armor once confirmed?

I'll add, around here (where I am atm) they just bomb you. There's a reason planting a bomb in someone's car used to be called a 'Youngstown Tune-up.'
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#179 - 2014-05-09 22:11:40 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

You do realize now they know to a) pose as a delivery man asking you to sign for something, and B) show up in full body armor once confirmed?

I'll add, around here (where I am atm) they just bomb you. There's a reason planting a bomb in someone's car used to be called a 'Youngstown Tune-up.'

Do you have any idea how much body armor costs? If they want me that bad then they've earned it.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Dave Stark
#180 - 2014-05-09 22:14:20 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

most delivery people turn up with some electronic doodar and as long as there's a squiggle, it's fine.