These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

[Counter Future Release] Glimpse Probes

Author
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#1 - 2014-05-07 20:27:50 UTC  |  Edited by: HTC NecoSino
New Probe:
Glimpse Probes

Scan Time = 300s (5 minutes)
Only 1 would be needed to scan an entire solar system, so maybe have it take up 1/2 or all of the space available in an expanded probe launcher.

What this probe does is scans a system for the dust and debris left behind from battle. Based on the strength/faintness of the signal, the probe can approximate the time frame that the debris was generated (maybe in 2 or 4 hour blocks). It would not be able to differentiate the type of debris (ships, NPC, pods, structures, etc).

Have this probe be lockable, with the same signature of, say, a noob ship, due to it's deep scanning abilities. Thus if someone launches a probe and then cloaks, a hostile could come and pop it. (Make these babies expensive!). The probe would scan from where it is launched, and would not have a warp-drive.

Added 8 May:
To ease in implementation, have all debris signatures show up at the sun. The size of the "ring" would indicate the strength of the signal.

Create a new scan filter, called "Debris."
If the debris is currently present, it would be a dot with a strength of 100%
If the debris is 1/2 way to complete degradation, it would have a strength of 50%
If the debris is about to degrade to the point where it doesn't return a signal, it would have a strength of 1%

It's up to players to determine what the max signal life is, and as an added bonus to Black Hole systems, the wrecks degrade 50% faster. This would make black hole systems slightly more appealing.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-05-07 23:37:14 UTC
What's the use case? Easy noctis ganking?

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#3 - 2014-05-07 23:40:57 UTC
This is in response to this dev post regarding the removal of API system kill data from Wormhole space. This data is incredibly valuable and helpful to anyone living or exploring a wormhole.

The Glimpse probes would be a middle ground. Players would be able to get some historical data in a system, but not instantly, and not without some effort.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-05-07 23:47:53 UTC
I live in w-space so I fully understand the challenges once the API data has gone. But to be fair its pretty easy to work out whether a system is occupied or not from eve-kill.net (and aggregation services like wormhole.es and its successor).

If you want to work out the daily ratting times of w-space carebears then I think it's only fair that you (and I) are forced to watch them physically

In my view w-space is far too advantageous to the aggressor. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the advantages but I think we have had such an advantage for so long that we have driven most of the carebears back to k-space.

A few years ago you only had to roll a few holes to find a blinged-up solo ratting tengu in an anomaly. These days it can take all night!

I'd rather have more opportunity because of increased players in w-space, at the expense of having to physically observe a system (which I do anyway).

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Cassini Valentine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-05-08 09:06:03 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:
I live in w-space so I fully understand the challenges once the API data has gone. But to be fair its pretty easy to work out whether a system is occupied or not from eve-kill.net (and aggregation services like wormhole.es and its successor).

A system may have had kills. 50% of the time this is from entities that live outside the wormhole. A system may have an abundance of towers and unpiloted ships and there may not be activity for days on end. Just because somebody has made it their home doesn't mean anyone is there. NPC kill data tells you whether or not its worthwhile sticking around a system to look for activity or whether or not there's a possibility someone else might log in for you to stalk. It also makes the idea whether or not to roll your static a good idea.

Quote:
If you want to work out the daily ratting times of w-space carebears then I think it's only fair that you (and I) are forced to watch them physically

Daily NPC activity times vary so much from a day to day basis that past NPC kill data is can only give an indication of time zone activity. Any information obtained is not a certainty only a suggestion. Any logoffski trap still requires the appropriate amount of time scouting and planning.

Quote:
In my view w-space is far too advantageous to the aggressor. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the advantages but I think we have had such an advantage for so long that we have driven most of the carebears back to k-space.

Discovery scanner = safer carebearing (almost impossible to catch activity site runners) and nanoribbon prices have dropped 0.5mil over the last 2 months. Both of which confirm carebearing in wormholes has never been easier. The aggressor will always have an advantage no matter how much of a heads up you give to the defending fleet they're being scouted out. The aggressor will always have an idea of their fleet composition and match his own to better it.

As for the probe Idea I like it Bear. I think I adapted someone else's idea to come up with something similar. I was perhaps thinking the device could be a deployable? Since CCP is having such fun with those at the moment. And along with the debris and dust there could be radiation (it decays over time).

But yes, I think someone doing more PvE should have a greater risk of being attacked. Doesn't mean the PvE player can't defend himself though. If this were the case perhaps nanoribbon prices would rise and make lower class Wormhole combat anomalies more lucrative too :).
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#6 - 2014-05-08 09:25:00 UTC
Cassini Valentine wrote:
Discovery scanner = safer carebearing (almost impossible to catch activity site runners) and nanoribbon prices have dropped 0.5mil over the last 2 months. Both of which confirm carebearing in wormholes has never been easier.

This is not a causal link as you suggest. Nullsec alliances no longer use huge blobs of T3s. Command ships now make better boosting ships than T3s. Tengus are no longer able to run 4/10 DED sites, Tengus are no longer considered the end-game for level 4 missions. The number of uses for T3s has fallen drastically.

When demand falls, what happens to price?
Shivanthar
#7 - 2014-05-08 10:38:57 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:

I'm neutral to OP's idea. Your point seemed like a valid point first, but then;

1- I noticed that finding a noctis would take much shorter timespan with combat probes than trying to finding debris that the same noctis would loot by waiting 5 minutes.
2- This new probe he is proposing is showing *only* debrises, which means you wouldn't know which debris/loot site that a noctis is looting at the time of scan.
3- A noctis should quickly finish its job in dangerous territories without slacking much, much probably finisihing its job under 5 minutes at a site.
4- This is not a noctis protection by whatsoever, another mechanic that noctis pilot should keep an eye on. Or more, I think it would be a benefit to one if it can equip one of these probes in some way.

_Half _the lies they tell about me **aren't **true.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-05-08 11:25:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
Cassini Valentine wrote:

... and nanoribbon prices have dropped 0.5mil over the last 2 months. Both of which confirm carebearing in wormholes has never been easier.

With respect I think there is a hidden premise here.

It is true that nano ribbon prices have dropped.

But it does not necessarily follow that this is because of increased supply.

It is also possible that demand for T3 has dropped.

I am inclined to think it's more a function of slowing demand than increased supply for the following reasons:
- there seem to be no major wars in progress
- HACs are a good deal better than they were
- Interceptors now also ignore bubbles
- astero and stratios provide viable alternatives to T3 scouts.
- there is a T3 revamp coming soon(tm) and many people fear a nerf, which may dampen enthusiasm.

A quick look at the market indicates that there are twice as many buy orders as sell orders. The market does not look particularly oversold.

In additon, my admittedly unreliable "sample of one" empirical observation is that I am seeing fewer care bears in w-sapce when I roll into new systems.

When I do roll into a system that's in use, the appearance of the new sig often goes un-noticed for long enough for us to get a fix on a victim.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#9 - 2014-05-08 11:47:58 UTC
T3 fleets are still a major pain point in that they don't die fast enough. Their rebalance shall see some extremely improvements and nerfs I think. Maybe after they've been rebalanced I'll actually start training for them.
Cassini Valentine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-05-08 12:19:14 UTC
Paikis wrote:
Cassini Valentine wrote:
Discovery scanner = safer carebearing (almost impossible to catch activity site runners) and nanoribbon prices have dropped 0.5mil over the last 2 months. Both of which confirm carebearing in wormholes has never been easier.

This is not a causal link as you suggest. Nullsec alliances no longer use huge blobs of T3s. Command ships now make better boosting ships than T3s. Tengus are no longer able to run 4/10 DED sites, Tengus are no longer considered the end-game for level 4 missions. The number of uses for T3s has fallen drastically.

When demand falls, what happens to price?

I mean I know that the price of an item is dependent on supply/demmand, and that it will fluctuate with time, but this is not a point i'm trying to get across.

What I'm trying to say is "carebearing" in W-Space will become easier, rewards will outmatch the risk and there will be less content to W-space with the NPC api change because it will be harder for entities to find each other's active players. What we need is a deployable device or game changing mechanic to encourage and reward player interaction in W-Space through combat. I think the OP is proposing a way of gathering in game intel about sleeper kills over the last x amount of hours in response to this dev post.

For me W-Space should be dangerous and unknown, but the intel that you can gather should give an indication of active players to be hunted or stalked. Too many times have I scouted wormholes and finding POS's with no-one home. I agree with CcpFoxFour that a 3rd party service should not give one side an unfair advantage, but I also believe something should be done to make up for the "content" that will be removed from W-Space with this change.

TL;DR W-Space needs some lovin'
Celestarias
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2014-05-08 12:51:16 UTC
Cassini Valentine wrote:

I mean I know that the price of an item is dependent on supply/demmand, and that it will fluctuate with time, but this is not a point i'm trying to get across.

What I'm trying to say is "carebearing" in W-Space will become easier, rewards will outmatch the risk and there will be less content to W-space with the NPC api change because it will be harder for entities to find each other's active players. What we need is a deployable device or game changing mechanic to encourage and reward player interaction in W-Space through combat. I think the OP is proposing a way of gathering in game intel about sleeper kills over the last x amount of hours in response to this dev post.

For me W-Space should be dangerous and unknown, but the intel that you can gather should give an indication of active players to be hunted or stalked. Too many times have I scouted wormholes and finding POS's with no-one home. I agree with CcpFoxFour that a 3rd party service should not give one side an unfair advantage, but I also believe something should be done to make up for the "content" that will be removed from W-Space with this change.

TL;DR W-Space needs some lovin'

To address the first thing I bolded: Carebearing becomes significantly more complicated when you can't determine when the locals come out to play. If you roll into a hole for a static run that is ACTUALLY loaded with USTZ PvPers, you bet I want to know this right off the bat. Good thing that the API could tell us when they typically farm their sites!

To address point about it being harder to find each other: Not even remotely. Holes roll the same way they always have. Why do you need to know when NPCs were killed to know if there is something to fight?

Regarding your final point about W-Space being dangerous and UNKNOWN: I think the entire notion of there being NPC kills listed takes a giant portion of the mystery out the equation. Hell, you know RIGHT AWAY if someone possibly lives in a hole based on towers alone. Let's go through the basics:

0. Am I in the core of the system?
0a. YES: Goto step 1.
0b. NO: Dscan, and prepare to warp to the core. Take results from Dscan and apply Step 1 logic while moving to the core.
1. Dscan. Do I see towers?
1a. YES: Dscan again, do I see Forcefields for towers on Dscan?
1aa. YES: This is occupied!
1ab. NO: This is probably yet another abandoned system. Consider rolling it immediately.
1b. NO: This is probably empty. Contemplate rolling it if they don't have a decent number of holes for moving around.

Thankfully, we go through almost all of this logic if you land near the core of a system, in mere seconds. I haven't even bothered looking at when they run their locals. Who really cares? If you want to gank something, it doesn't matter when they run locals. Find them doing something stupid, gank and move forward with life. If you suspect they have something more there to gank than what you see? Do exactly what everyone else in the game has to do: Scout it out manually.

Yes, I won't deny that Wormholes need some love, but saying that the solution is "Make it easier to gank people" is the same logic that people use for "Remove local" in Nullsec. That argument, much like this current argument, are equally bad.
Cassini Valentine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-05-08 13:55:02 UTC
Celestarias wrote:

To address the first thing I bolded: Carebearing becomes significantly more complicated when you can't determine when the locals come out to play. If you roll into a hole for a static run that is ACTUALLY loaded with USTZ PvPers, you bet I want to know this right off the bat. Good thing that the API could tell us when they typically farm their sites!

Why not have this intel from an in game deployable? That's the idea being proposed here. NPC API data is overpowered and not an intended part of the game design. Yet NPC kills are of one many indications used to tell if there is a possibility of PvP. Whether or not there will be someone to gank, or someone to take bait.
Quote:
To address point about it being harder to find each other: Not even remotely. Holes roll the same way they always have. Why do you need to know when NPCs were killed to know if there is something to fight?

In my experience 95% of wormholes I come across with towers aren't occupied by active players (I live in the E-uni's C2 with C3 and high-sec statics). It may take me and fellow scanners up several hours before we meet another active player who is almost always in a POS (majority of W-Space flying around in cloakies doesn't help What?).
Quote:
Hell, you know RIGHT AWAY if someone possibly lives in a hole based on towers alone.

This is a big misconception. Towers do not equal active player occupancy. Ships left in space in a POS does not equal active players either. NPC kill data suggests activity but does not confirm this. Normally NPC activity = chain worth keeping, in the case of an encounter with another player, at a hole, site, of customs office. Sometimes the NPC kills have come from visitors. In my experience scouting, 90% of the time the C3 statics i've opened do not have signs of active players in them but have towers. I can spend hours looking for other active players but i'm not guaranteed to find any. For me, this is where the problem lies and I would like the introduction of a deployable to tackle this problem.
Quote:
Yes, I won't deny that Wormholes need some love, but saying that the solution is "Make it easier to gank people" is the same logic that people use for "Remove local" in Nullsec.

I don't want it to be easier to gank, rather make it easier to locate the wormholes of other active players. More player interaction will probably lead to more ganking and more fights simultaneously. Let me make this clear though, I don't want easier ganks. I want to locate wormholes that have player activity in so I can scout them out and gather intel locate the player and set up bait/gank/stalk/1v1 them. The change in the API info has highlighted to me that w-space shouldn't have to reply on API data from 3rd party services to find other active players and to generate content.

What I want to discuss is whether or not NPC kill data for wormholes should be collectable information in the client and why this would be a good/bad idea.
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#13 - 2014-05-08 13:55:54 UTC
Quote:
1aa. YES: This is occupied!
1ab. NO: This is probably yet another abandoned system. Consider rolling it immediately.
1b. NO: This is probably empty. Contemplate rolling it if they don't have a decent number of holes for moving around.

We want this probe and historical data because, due to the sheer nature of WH space, very few entities have pilots online through all time-zones. If I am a US pilot and I find a system with towers, and those towers belong to an AU/RU corp, or even 50% of EU corps, guess what? It may as well be empty to me.

Or it could simply be a weekender farming corp that only has a handful of pilots log in for a few hours each week. Again, might as well be empty.

The glimpse probe would allow us to quickly gather a rough idea regarding the times when there are active pilots in this system.

Quote:

This probe would not show WHERE the debris is, simply how much and how old it is. This is not designed to compete with any existing mechanism in Eve.
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#14 - 2014-05-08 13:58:20 UTC
Cassini Valentine wrote:
I live in the E-uni's C2 with C3 and high-sec statics

Nice to know you guys still have that system, I haven't run into you guys in a long time!
HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#15 - 2014-05-08 14:28:29 UTC
Additional thoughts added to OP:

To ease in implementation, have all debris signatures show up at the sun. The size of the "ring" would indicate the strength of the signal.

Create a new scan filter, called "Debris."
If the debris is currently present, it would be a dot with a strength of 100%
If the debris is 1/2 way to complete degradation, it would have a strength of 50%
If the debris is about to degrade to the point where it doesn't return a signal, it would have a strength of 1%

It's up to players to determine what the max signal life is, and as an added bonus to Black Hole systems, the wrecks degrade 50% faster. This would make black hole systems slightly more appealing.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-05-08 14:29:55 UTC
You know guys if you want easy intel on w-space victims all you have to do is agree to co-operate.

At the moment we all use a system like siggy or tripwire and all of our data is partitioned.

However, if we agreed to share some of our data, such as times and location of sitings of ratting etc, then actually you can achieve the same quality or better of data than is supplied by an API.

Why better? Because you can include ship types and numbers, likely willingness to retaliate etc.

This crowdsourcing of intel works very well in the markets, why not in victim identification?

Smile

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-05-08 17:37:55 UTC
1. I don't like the idea that you need a combat launcher to use it. So many scouts use covops/bombers and would have to gut their ship to fit it on.

2. I would want the "debris" detected to show up on d-scan as well, at least for a short time. That way you can jump in a system, see if it's been active RECENTLY, and if it hasn't drop the probe and get a more detailed history of the system. This wouldn't be giving you any more information than see wrecks on d-scan, except it gives you a bit of backlog - in case you jump in just after they finish a site.

I'm not interested in log-off traps or anything like the big guys. I just want to know, has this system been active recently? Which answers my next question (are these guys floating in the POS at their keyboards?)

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

HTC NecoSino
Suddenly Carebears
#18 - 2014-05-08 17:41:43 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
1. I don't like the idea that you need a combat launcher to use it. So many scouts use covops/bombers and would have to gut their ship to fit it on.

Lots of intel = needs a really, really big probe.

Quote:
2. I would want the "debris" detected to show up on d-scan as well, at least for a short time. That way you can jump in a system, see if it's been active RECENTLY, and if it hasn't drop the probe and get a more detailed history of the system. This wouldn't be giving you any more information than see wrecks on d-scan, except it gives you a bit of backlog - in case you jump in just after they finish a site.

Wrecks already show on dscan.

Quote:
I'm not interested in log-off traps or anything like the big guys. I just want to know, has this system been active recently? Which answers my next question (are these guys floating in the POS at their keyboards?)

Yep.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-05-08 17:58:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
HTC NecoSino wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:

Lots of intel = needs a really, really big probe.

Fair enough. But you already have it taking 5 minutes to use the thing. I get that you are trying to balance it so you don't have instant "winfo". But restricting the ships you can use it on (by requiring combat launcher) just decreases the overall diversity in wormhole space.

What if normal scan probes (which are detecting similar unusual signatures in the system) just collected this information over time (each minutes gets data for an hour maybe)? You don't get instant info, but you can work for the detailed history, and people in the system know you are there because of it.

I'm trying to help improve your idea really. Because I want this information available in some form.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Cassini Valentine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-05-08 18:22:56 UTC
Just to clarify, the debris that is being discussed is left over from sleeper sites/pewpew can be detected after wrecks have been salvaged?
12Next page