These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

So what's so good about Skyrim?

Author
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#1 - 2014-05-07 02:30:35 UTC
Looks like hardly a day goes by without someone mentioning Skyrim in the EVE Online forums, according to forum search. Oh Skyrim this and Skyrim that oh la-de-da. And what's it been, now, two and a half years since Skyrim was released back in 2011?

Over 20 million units sold. Nearly $1.5B in sales revenue. Development time: 3.5yrs costing $85million including marketing. Game developers employed: 90. Voice actors: 83. Yeah... if that's all really true uh-huh.

So what makes Skyrim so damn good that you must incessantly talk talk talk talk talk about Skyrim somewhere on the EVE Forums nearly every.. freakin.. day?!?!?! Ewwwwww! Skyrim this and Skyrim that talk talk talk TALK TALK... ack!

This is now the what, how, where, why, anything Skyrim thread.
/me munches on your stolen sweetroll
http://imgur.com/H7tM8YI

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#2 - 2014-05-07 02:47:36 UTC
What?

Skyrim just reminds me that I want a new Fallout game.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#3 - 2014-05-07 04:48:49 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
What?

teh what? /me enters "fallout" in forum search...
Gratz! you are the first person to bring up that game in four months! Shocked
Alas, this that is not.
==

So I gotz all the whole everything list of all Skyrim and what nots. But of course can you say Mods? so guess not all, but what there is that is, yes, good stuff. But I think that of it all, what stands out for me anyway, certainly the Black Hand - the Assassins guild. Little less clever than Oblivy, but pretty nice story progression all the same, and still with some little twists and turns, all bloody of course and stuck in deep. And yes, standing over the Emperors fresh corpse (see OP image) really gives a wonderful feeling of satisfaction that I changed the game world with nothing but a little poisoned dagger and a few arrows. Fulfilling, indeed.

But certainly, this soup is to die for. Now what were those ingredients again?
Oh, of course
A sweetroll (stolen no doubt)
Vampire Dust
Giant's toe
And one septim
Oh yeah, and that last secret ingredient Blink
The wonders of modern cuisine!
But who would have thunk what came next, no?

But when all is said and done, the speaker must finish that next contract, of many to come, nothing as simplistically excellent as a well aimed bow shot at far-range. Poetry in motion.

And then off to find the next target.
http://imgur.com/816g4zY

Why do you Skyrim?

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Graygor
1kB Realty
#4 - 2014-05-07 05:23:11 UTC
I wanted to play skyrim but then i took an arrow to the knee. Sad

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-05-07 08:27:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Commissar Kate wrote:
What?

Forget Fallout, play Watelands 2 instead.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Shalua Rui
Rui Freelance Mining
#6 - 2014-05-07 08:39:06 UTC
What's good about Skyrim? It's like Elder Scrolls Online, just, you know, immersive and fun... and fully modable. Blink

"ginger forum goddess, space gypsy and stone nibbler extraordinaire!" Shalua Rui - CEO and founder of Rui Freelance Mining (RFLM)

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-05-07 08:51:55 UTC
Webvan wrote:
Looks like hardly a day goes by without someone mentioning Skyrim in the EVE Online forums, according to forum search. Oh Skyrim this and Skyrim that oh la-de-da. And what's it been, now, two and a half years since Skyrim was released back in 2011?

Over 20 million units sold. Nearly $1.5B in sales revenue. Development time: 3.5yrs costing $85million including marketing. Game developers employed: 90. Voice actors: 83. Yeah... if that's all really true uh-huh.

So what makes Skyrim so damn good that you must incessantly talk talk talk talk talk about Skyrim somewhere on the EVE Forums nearly every.. freakin.. day?!?!?! Ewwwwww! Skyrim this and Skyrim that talk talk talk TALK TALK... ack!

This is now the what, how, where, why, anything Skyrim thread.
/me munches on your stolen sweetroll
http://imgur.com/H7tM8YI

Because it's a freeform open world
Because it uses skill based advancement without levels
Because it's easily modable

The first two reasons remind me of another game .. you might have heard about it.
It's called eve online.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#8 - 2014-05-07 09:19:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Ah thy trollings, thoust arrows doth drip with the sweetest poisons of the nectars delivered upon wings of shadow and death. Harken so thou fine fellows thine musings, harken so, such troves doth gardyloo.
Fare thee well.

Shalua Rui wrote:
and fully modable.

Quite true, have enjoyed the modding tools for it. Creating new npc's and such hasn't been an irritable experience as it is in most cases.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#9 - 2014-05-07 09:39:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimpak
Kitty Bear wrote:

ENB FOREVER!

....I just need a powerful computer to run the damn thing with full settings.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#10 - 2014-05-07 12:00:29 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:

ENB FOREVER!

Shocked That looks wonderful!

—Ω—

Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#11 - 2014-05-07 13:00:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimpak
Omega Sunset wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:

ENB FOREVER!

Shocked That looks wonderful!

yeah, some guy made these amazing screenshots that pretty much looked photoreallistic once with skyrim.

it, however, needed over 100 mods, and his top-of-the-line i7 was running the game at about.... 10fps or so. in 1900x1080 or smth.

I also have a huge gripe with skyrim that can be sumrized with this picture.

Ok, go from point A to point B. Issue: there's 19746593265904283165091328560986450918 dungeons with phat loots between those two points, and you can't carry them all.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Miss Masquerade
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-05-07 23:26:27 UTC
Skyrim is awsome, since it puts me in a world I used to experience only in my head, while
playing AD&D back in the "Pen and Paper, RPG" days. Big smile

To quote Mary Hopkins.."Those were the days"
Dorian Tormak
Rapid Withdrawal
Pen Is Out
#13 - 2014-05-07 23:57:04 UTC
I so hope they are working on a Fallout 4!

But damn Skyrim was awesome, I used to live in a castle and just ride around on my horse and do whatever, just basically live another life in that ******* game, had a dark elf lover who followed me everywhere, sometimes it rains, there's dragons, really Skyrim after Oblivion was like the perfect game!

Holy Satanic Christ! This is a Goddamn Signature!

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2014-05-08 00:30:29 UTC
The best part about Skyrim is that it reminds you of Morrowind.

It was pretty entertaining though. Over time the world started to feel a little generic and shallow. There's no powerful items or spells which makes loot uninteresting too... Enemies scale to your level so you never have a hard time winning a fight... But I'd say it was worth its price. The world is pretty and the exploration can be fun. Even if there's no cool treasure to be found and the dialogue is lacking because of expensive (and time consuming) voice acting.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to the new rpg's coming through kickstarter. Wasteland 2 and especially Pillars of Eternity (previously Project Eternity) and Torment: Tides of numenera. Those should not have the usual problems of today's rpg's.
Dorian Tormak
Rapid Withdrawal
Pen Is Out
#15 - 2014-05-08 00:44:02 UTC
^ I don't get it, they look like Diablo II pretty much and it doesn't seem like they're even doing multiplayer?

Then again I don't really play that "type" of game very much

Holy Satanic Christ! This is a Goddamn Signature!

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#16 - 2014-05-08 00:58:14 UTC
Bischopt wrote:
Even if there's no cool treasure to be found
To be found? Most of the more unique items are gained through either quests and/or crafting/enhancements. One example would be the Daedric quests. I mean if you don't mind chasing a talking dog half-way across Skyrim lol
Anyway it's more about story and less about uber equipment. I mean at some point, I'd think it'd get pretty boring 1 hitting everything. So you are forced to have a lot of different gear for the encounter, rather than just one set of god-mode gear that deals with everything.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#17 - 2014-05-08 00:59:57 UTC
Pfft weapons.

Unarmed FTW

Oh wait.... This is the Skyrim thread.
Samoth Egnoled
Caldari Provisions
#18 - 2014-05-08 08:20:18 UTC
Aww, lemme guess, somebody stole your sweetroll.

Why do I play skyrim?
Firstly, because of past elder scrolls games.
The game is so flexible its unreal, just by switching a few mods around, I can go from the most powerful being to a nobody who has to scavenge for food,water and to set up camp at night. Ohand then there's the star wars mod <3
I don't have to quest, I can just explore for hours on end and probably Make the same amount of character progression.
It really ticks that role play box for me, I can fully immerse myself in my character and play out my story.

I just hope zenimax doesn't ruin elder scrolls reputation with ESO.
Aspalis
Euphoria Released
#19 - 2014-05-08 08:48:28 UTC
Samoth Egnoled wrote:

You mean, like they did with Oblivion?

Marcus Gord: "Aspalis is an onion. Many layers, each one makes you cry."

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#20 - 2014-05-08 09:03:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Samoth Egnoled wrote:

To late, your hopes already have been shattered.

EDIT: I want a new Daggerfall with awesome 3D graphics, full Oculus Rift support and just enough Multiplayer to enable me to play it with my friends... Man Daggerfall, good old times... Sad

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

12Next page