These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Give Concord some teeth

Author
Doreen Kaundur
#1 - 2014-05-05 21:16:51 UTC
From this thread

Concord is inept.

They cant even quell a riot, making hi-sec not so "hi-sec."

When the Jita riots broke out, Concord should have had some titans pop in, and firehose the whole crowd.

[center]1. Minor navigation color change. 2. Show bookmarks in the overview.[/center]

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2 - 2014-05-05 21:37:26 UTC
CONCORD is not there to protect, they are there to punish.

Also how do you give someone that can literally instagib a titan "more teeth"?
Last Wolf
Umbra Wing
#3 - 2014-05-05 21:37:33 UTC
Concord is there to punish the attacker, not protect the victim.

Concord does it's job very well.

That awkward moment at the Gentlemen's Club when you see your sister on the stage....and you're not sure where to put the money....

Velicitia
XS Tech
#4 - 2014-05-05 22:17:30 UTC
nope. Concord is working fine (maybe a bit too well, since people think "hisec should be 100% safe").

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#5 - 2014-05-05 22:37:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Velicitia wrote:
nope. Concord is working fine (maybe a bit too well, since people think "hisec should be 100% safe").
I think that the fact that highsec is not 100% safe needs to be reinforced some more, with explosions. Any tinkering with Concord will be met with adaption on the part of suicide gankers everywhere.

For example a faster Concord response would result in gankers bringing more ships firepower to get the job done in the allocated time period.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-05-05 22:53:03 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
I think that the fact that highsec is not 100% safe needs to be reinforced some more, with explosions. Any tinkering with Concord will be met with adaption on the part of suicide gankers everywhere.

For example a faster Concord response would result in gankers bringing more ships to get the job done in the allocated time period.

More likely they'll probably just start going back to tornadoes.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#7 - 2014-05-05 22:58:57 UTC
Maybe I'm being overly hopeful ... but I hope the changes start re-inforcing the stance CCP used to hold with things ...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#8 - 2014-05-05 23:14:46 UTC
CONCORD is not inept. Rather, they are NOT COPS. They are, in the words of all 'Law and Order' episode intros, "District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders," but with really OP'ed guns. CONCORD has more than enough really sharp teeth, they just don't use them the same way you think they should.

BTW, 'Law and Order' is awesome. You should watch...

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-05-05 23:15:52 UTC
Also, why would Concord need Titans, their BS's can already kill one in seconds, without a cooldown timer lol.
Tor Norman
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-05-05 23:23:39 UTC
It'd be better to nerf CONCORD to destroy the notion that HiSec is supposed to be safe. Tough love and all that.

I talk about EVE trading and general space violence in my blog.

For the ISK and the yarr!

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#11 - 2014-05-05 23:23:55 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

For example a faster Concord response would result in gankers bringing more ships to get the job done in the allocated time period.

More likely they'll probably just start going back to tornadoes.
True enough, I've altered the post to reflect this.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#12 - 2014-05-05 23:44:07 UTC
Doreen Kaundur wrote:
From this thread

Concord is inept.

They cant even quell a riot, making hi-sec not so "hi-sec."

When the Jita riots broke out, Concord should have had some titans pop in, and firehose the whole crowd.

Hi sec, is not zero risk.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Octoven
Stellar Production
#13 - 2014-05-05 23:47:30 UTC
CONCORD was created to keep peace between the 4 empires not to prevent crimes. As we saw with both Yulai and Luminere CONCORD only has as much power and authority as the four empires gives it. This is why the leviathan blatantly just destroyed a CONCORD ship. In terms of firepower yes, they do have more, but we have seen the 4 empires will do whatever they want. In terms of storyline, the capsuleers are slowly overthrowing the empires. So it would make sense that they are able to commit a crime without CONCORD stopping them. However, they can still be punished for it.

In terms of crimewatch, it has grown and significantly got more powerful. Used to you could gank someone and get away with it, not anymore, your actions are 100% accountable. In that respect CONCORD is already balanced. I dont think nerfing it is a good idea, I mean this is after all high security space and while you aren't safe, you should still feel a certain satisfaction if knowing that if you die so too will the other person.
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2014-05-06 00:22:27 UTC
In theory, the most powerful is the Jove.

After that, it's the Empires.
The Empires give tech to Concord, but it's not the single most advanced tech, so Concord is just under them.
Next are the pirate factions..
Then it's us..

Front line Empire ships are supposed to be vastly superior to us.. The reason we can kill them in missions, and on gates, is because those are second rate troops.. not one of their serious core home defence fleets.

As for all of these, Concord is doing fine.. Highsec is fine.. It shouldn't be easier or harder to gank, it's balanced as it is.
Bohneik Itohn
#15 - 2014-05-06 02:20:52 UTC
I'm going to derail the crap out of this and get something useful out of a topic that pops up every other day.

The last two people who posted seem to know quite a bit of lore, which CCP seems to enjoy obfuscating. Do either of you have any links to sources of accurate and organized information on the history of the EvE universe, or am I going to have to be satisfied with being drip-fed for the next 5 years?

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

zen zubon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2014-05-06 07:00:08 UTC
I already posted in the bad ideas thread about 150km ranged smart bombs, give those to concord and make them system wide XD
and have a player vote thing enabled for them in each system, awesomely bad idea
Velicitia
XS Tech
#17 - 2014-05-06 09:33:30 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
I'm going to derail the crap out of this and get something useful out of a topic that pops up every other day.

The last two people who posted seem to know quite a bit of lore, which CCP seems to enjoy obfuscating. Do either of you have any links to sources of accurate and organized information on the history of the EvE universe, or am I going to have to be satisfied with being drip-fed for the next 5 years?

Check out the chronicles, backstory, and short stories. Also read the EVE Books -- Empyrean Age, The Burning Life, and Templar One. Read Empyrean Age before Templar One (they're a series). Doesn't matter if/when you read the other one, it's not part of the series.

We (capsuleers) are actually the "replacements" to the typical front line fleets (came about after the last Gallente / Caldari war a hundred and change years ago). Thing is, the empires do employ capsuleer-flown vessels to their fleets, we just happen to have not chosen that route, in general. If we really wanted to we could obliterate them right now (though we'd need to work together).

Rats (belt and mission) are so "easy" because they're bridge-crew commanded (i.e. captain, first officer, helm, weapons, blah...), so they can't react as fast, or push the ship as far as we can.

Seliah
Blades of Liberty
#18 - 2014-05-06 10:06:19 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:

Buy the newly release EVE : Source book, you'll find all the information you need. It's a very interesting read !
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#19 - 2014-05-06 12:41:25 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Hmmm. Suicide ganks.
Hmm hisec should not be safe for all.
Hmmmm risk reward.
Hmm CCP should not interfere in the sandbox.

Ok that is out of the way.
Suicide ganks have a valid place in EvE.
I absolutely approve of suicide ganks.

However, there is a slight issue, because CCP set the rules, the only sandbox here is the ability to use those rules to find a place to play our way.

Suicide ganks, are actually nothing of the sort.
They are lose a cheap replaceable ship ganks.
Because those are the preconditions.

Prey say that The rules are biased against them, they lose high value assets for minimum cost to the Ganker. Theres some truth in that.
Gankers say we lose high value ships too! Well the truth is that anyone any good makes sure that things are heavily in their favour.

The truth is that whatever targets do there is no true defence. We just need to be honest enough to admit it.

We have the opportunity to Gank due to the rules CCP apply. We like to pretend that is the "sandbox"
Only how we choose to play in that sandbox has relevance beyond the rules.

So Back to the main point.
Suicide ganking is not suicide at all.
It is cheap and almost all conditions can be predicted, the only variable if well done is the loot drop.
So let suicide ganking have a slightly higher cost applied.
CCP decide the rules of our sandbox, so we have no right to believe that things should always be in our favour.

The only thing we currently lose in a gank, as we certainly should gain more than we lose unless we are griefing, is time to reship.
In fact most prey equate griefing with suicide ganking. And unless highly blinged or carrying out of balance cargos, will never encounter a true suicide ganker. So they are actually devaluing a valid profession for thir own kicks.

So a simple solution should it ever be decided that one is needed.
The only item lost be a true suicide ganker is time. Ships etc are more than replaced by the drop in loot.
A grief ganker however does not care about value or asset gain. That is just a bonus. Unhappiness is his currency, Again his main loss is time.

So let a podkill result from a Gank in HS.
No risk there, gankers usually use naked clones and there is just a small cost with buying a new clone.

The solution is to Podjump the ganker after death a number of systems away, the greater the disparity between loot drop and fleet loss, the further away one is podjumped. (24 hour jumpclone timer is started with podjump) with true griefers being jumped into deep null. Medical clones cannot be moved in this period .
Fresh kills will be added to this podjump number for 24 hours. So if two for example and each had 10 jumps then that would be a 20 jump for the second action.

So in summation, a cost of suiciding is added without in any way penalising commercial gankers other than the normal process applying that one should do it for profit.

Serial grief gankers, will take longer and longer each time to return. This will encourage them to take the profession seriously, and select their targets for value other than popping new players, and people who can be upset to the maximum degree.

So in summation. A net neutral for professional Gankers with the bonus of increasing the respectability of their profession as a valid and acceptable choice.
A negative for Grief gankers, with the positive of reinforcing behaviour that benefits them and their victims. Leading to a better play experience for both.

True grief gankers, will still be able to continue, but the impact of them will be reduced, as they will spend a lot of time travelling.

The proposal is fully compatible with the concept of risk reward and the sandbox and a better expression of the concept than currently exists.

I will not reply. Or refer back to this thread. You may agree or disagree as you wish.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Velicitia
XS Tech
#20 - 2014-05-06 13:02:26 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
(stuff) .

This honestly got too long to read ... so lemme see if I understand your point.

1. Sui-ganks aren't really "suicide" because the ganker can replace the ships "easily"

2. There's no "true" defense against sui-ganks

3. stuff about "griefing" (which makes me believe you're not really up to speed on what "griefing" actually is in Eve-o)

4. something about podding the ganker away.

I like #4, and it's pretty easy to do. You just need an Atron (or equivalent T1 Interceptor) and some SeBos. With the right combination of timing, and luck ... that pod's yours.

12Next page