These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What kind of world would Eve be without internet anonymity?

First post
Author
Celestra Doxaila
MinTek Tactical Division
#141 - 2014-05-05 15:27:44 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
If 'EVE is real" meant we all had to play under our real life identity, this would be a whole different game.

Mr Epeen Cool

We all know that's your real name, Epeen.

Sorry, that's Mr Epeen to me. :)
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#142 - 2014-05-05 15:50:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Hevymetal wrote:
How much of a difference would it make in the Eve universe knowing (PlayerX) is really John Doe? How many players would continue to actually play? Would it mean the death of Eve as we know it or merely an evolution to a nicer universe?

I don't think the difference would be all that big. My corp CEO has at least enough information about me to narrow my identity down to a range of ~20 persons. And, let's be real, digi probably knows what I'm going to have for dinner tonight before I do.

On the flipside I know the real-life identities of several people I have played with at one point or another - not all of which I am on great terms with today.

Everybody knows The Mittani's real-life identity. But has this ever stopped him from acting the way he does?

SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#143 - 2014-05-05 16:02:54 UTC
What would the Kentucky Derby be like if unicorns were real?

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#144 - 2014-05-05 16:05:25 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

Rather different. From what I have heard, the midget guys who ride racing horses get laid like tile.

Since unicorns can only be ridden by virgins, it would present a bit of an issue. They'd have to recruit from Reddit fairly heavily I imagine.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Cheng Musana
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#145 - 2014-05-05 16:12:16 UTC
Pretty simple, the freighter pilot that has beeing ganked would take revange in real life with a baseball bat. If we wouldnt be anonymous on this game nobody would play it. However this shouldnt give you a free ticket to be asshat neither.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#146 - 2014-05-05 16:12:58 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:
I don't think the difference would be all that big. My corp CEO has at least enough information about me to narrow my identity down to a range of ~20 persons. And, let's be real, digi probably knows what I'm going to have for dinner tonight before I do.

Digi told me the other day that the pork tenderloin I was defrosting would be better served with kale, lentils and shallots instead of roasted potatoes. It helped!

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Billy McCandless
Zacharia Explorations Group
#147 - 2014-05-05 16:15:02 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

iff dey wear peggi susses then yo kude hav kentuccy darby fryed hott winks

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Astrid Minoki
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#148 - 2014-05-05 17:07:02 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

I think you need a nap and your meds.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#149 - 2014-05-05 17:08:57 UTC
My former CEO's EVE character was Vuk Lau.
His real name is Vuk Lau.
(He was on CSM so it's not like this isn't already public info).

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Billy McCandless
Zacharia Explorations Group
#150 - 2014-05-05 17:12:09 UTC
Astrid Minoki wrote:

I think you need a nap and your meds.

Sea!

Evvy dense that Dawnsdeal Parashute is rite!

the nule carttile are tri ying to droog us!

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Dr Techenstein Techsalt
Malakim Zealots
Angel Cartel
#151 - 2014-05-05 17:15:58 UTC
People could then look me up, find me and enjoy ice cream for 6 months through a straw.

I'm a dk but I always do the right thing.

Dust merc- TechMechMeds, logistics

Eve legion ftw

Dust scum think they can dominate legion lol

Dr Techenstein Techsalt
Malakim Zealots
Angel Cartel
#152 - 2014-05-05 17:17:52 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

I'm guessing you have been doing the tutorial for a very long time.

Dust merc- TechMechMeds, logistics

Eve legion ftw

Dust scum think they can dominate legion lol

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#153 - 2014-05-05 17:51:24 UTC
I'm sure you'd have a few people try to make things personal for awhile.

You know, the ones that have a hard time separating a game from reality.

Bu after the first few made the news by ending up in jail that sort of nonsense would taper off sharply.

Darwinism works.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Locke DieDrake
State War Academy
Caldari State
#154 - 2014-05-05 19:53:03 UTC
Hevymetal wrote:
With all the crazy laws being passed in various countries. What would the ramifications be if noone's real identity could remain hidden? Kinda like China already, but to a greater extent.

Would most Eve players remain sadistic psychos or would their attitudes and playstyles change? Would you still gank and pod that helpless miner knowing he could very well track you down in real life?

How much of a difference would it make in the Eve universe knowing (PlayerX) is really John Doe? How many players would continue to actually play? Would it mean the death of Eve as we know it or merely an evolution to a nicer universe?

There is no such thing as "internet anonymity". It's a fallacy. It never existed.

Lets start at the basics. CCP has your name, CC number and IP address(es). They know who you are. Failing that, they know who bought the plex that you used to subscribe.

Further, an IP address and a time stamp is all it takes to get a name, address and another CC#, from your ISP. I don't even need a subpoena anymore. Yes, you or anyone else with a couple brain cells can send an identity request to most major ISP and most of them just respond without legal verification.

Now, many of you are thinking "but I can use __________" or " I only log in from the college network" or something to this effect. Proxies anyone? Yeah... you're misguided. First, because you can't actually play eve through the VAST majority of proxies. Some are banned by CCP, most just have too much latency. Second, because computer networks are terribly simple creatures. They ALWAYS identify who they are talking to, and it's just a simple matter of matching up logs to find out who did what. Seriously guys, it's not even hard.

So the real question you meant to ask is, what would happen if you HAD to put your real identity on your character and make it public. Because it's already "privately" known in pretty much every single user case.

Right now, it comes down to how motivated someone is to find you, and how much legal ground they can stand on. I can file a lawsuit, frivolous and stupid, claiming 1$ in damages and that gives me the legal right to subpoena your records. At which point I know everything about you I need to know, and I can drop the suit. This cost me about $50. And I'm no one in particular. If a law enforcement, or government, or large company wants to know who you are, and your eve identity, I assure you, it's not even remotely hard for them to get it.

Think about it. You aren't anonymous. You just aren't unmasked yet.

NOTE: I'm aware this wasn't really the question you asked, and I respect that, but I consider it a public server to inform people that their ideas of what constitutes anonymous are usually rather wrong.
Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#155 - 2014-05-05 23:18:40 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I'm sure you'd have a few people try to make things personal for awhile.

You know, the ones that have a hard time separating a game from reality.

Bu after the first few made the news by ending up in jail that sort of nonsense would taper off sharply.

Darwinism works.

The question is, given all the bad karma goons have wracked up both here and in many other games, including some spectacularly offensive ones (and not just offensive to me, I'm talking some breathtakingly offensive stuff) would a single goon ever be employed again? And how many of them would be subject to real world violence by people they thought it safe to...

'mock' seems to light a word. What's a good word for mocking the deaths of the 9/11 victims? I can't really find an appropriate one and I have a fairly large vocabulary.
James Nikolas Tesla
Tesla Holdings
#156 - 2014-05-06 02:21:12 UTC
I'm a nice guy that keeps to myself and helps out when I can. The removal of my anonymity would not affect anything because in Eve I am a nice guy that keeps to myself and helps out when I can.

CODE is just a bunch of pirates; smart, organized pirates. It doesn't help to rage at them because that is exactly what they want. Dust yourself off and get back on your feet, you don't even have to talk to them.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#157 - 2014-05-06 02:30:20 UTC
Soccer hooligans are proof that lack of anonymity doesn't stop people being stupid when they (or their team) lose.

Try turning up to a chess competition sometime, it's not all sunshine and unicorns there either.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#158 - 2014-05-06 02:32:05 UTC
Andski wrote:
Vera Algaert wrote:

Digi told me the other day that the pork tenderloin I was defrosting would be better served with kale, lentils and shallots instead of roasted potatoes. It helped!

Pfft. Digi told me it was time to cook the calamari rings that were approaching the end of their storage life in the bottom of the chest freezer.

I'm not even a Goon.

And I never bought calamari rings.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#159 - 2014-05-06 02:37:52 UTC
Then you wouldn't have had the balls to make the OP and the world would be a better place.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#160 - 2014-05-06 02:42:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
People can find you now if they are really determined.