These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Warning! If you are training Combat Drone Operation, STOP NOW!

Author
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#21 - 2014-05-04 15:40:30 UTC
Warning: Train it anyway, since CCP is a cruel and fickle master, and it's not going to hurt you.
MissBehaving
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#22 - 2014-05-04 15:48:13 UTC
I don't see how stopping someone from getting more damage out of their drones is a good thing....

If you trained it already well then good job you are doing skills the right way lol.
mkint
#23 - 2014-05-04 15:54:59 UTC
Liam Inkuras wrote:
Tika Hemah wrote:
Liam Inkuras wrote:
To clarify: in order to recieve light drone operation 5, you need scout drone operation 5. In order to recieve medium drone operation 5, you will need combat drone operation 5.

Pleas read the dev quotes again.

I just did read them again, and I am still correct. Whatever level your Scout Drone Operation skill is at when the patch hits, you will recieve Light Drone Operation at the same level. The same is true for Combat Drone Operation, which will translate into Medium Drone Operation.

If you wish to recieve both Light and Medium Drone Operation skills at 5 after the patch, then train Scout and Combat Drone Operation 5 now.

Nope. Read the dev clarification from later. The devs have a rule they always follow when doing a skills change: What you can use before, you will be able to use after. If what you say were true, then you could easily lose access to stuff, which is just not the case. Instead, it'll use whichever is higher between combat and scout for both the drone skills, and it'll use the level of scout for the range skill. So train scout 5, and you'll have all 3 at 5.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#24 - 2014-05-04 16:11:40 UTC
*looks on op*
Scout drone operation > 5.
Combat drone operation > 5

nothing to see here move along.

And it's worth to train both of them... the dps increase :)
Alyth Nerun
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#25 - 2014-05-04 16:20:27 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

I have been building an anonymous alt to actually play the PvP portions of the game again.

I hope it is a -10 highsec gank alt
Tika Hemah
Doomheim
#26 - 2014-05-04 16:32:59 UTC
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
*looks on op*

If you trained them both a long time ago and got use out of both skill... great.

Nothing to see and move along as you said.

Just letting people know at this point, don't train this skill. In fact, save some isk and don't even inject the skill book.

You can get all the benefit of the skill split and damage increase on 6/3/14 by just training scout drone operation to 5.

combat drone operation 5 is no longer needed and is going to be removed from game.
Tika Hemah
Doomheim
#27 - 2014-05-04 16:35:22 UTC
Liam Inkuras wrote:
Tika Hemah wrote:
Liam Inkuras wrote:
To clarify: in order to recieve light drone operation 5, you need scout drone operation 5. In order to recieve medium drone operation 5, you will need combat drone operation 5.

Pleas read the dev quotes again.

I just did read them again, and I am still correct. Whatever level your Scout Drone Operation skill is at when the patch hits, you will recieve Light Drone Operation at the same level. The same is true for Combat Drone Operation, which will translate into Medium Drone Operation.

If you wish to recieve both Light and Medium Drone Operation skills at 5 after the patch, then train Scout and Combat Drone Operation 5 now.

sign...

go ahead and train them both to 5 then... if you haven't already.
mkint
#28 - 2014-05-04 16:37:05 UTC
Tika Hemah wrote:
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
*looks on op*

If you trained them both a long time ago and got use out of both skill... great.

Nothing to see and move along as you said.

Just letting people know at this point, don't train this skill. In fact, save some isk and don't even inject the skill book.

You can get all the benefit of the skill split and damage increase on 6/3/14 by just training scout drone operation to 5.

combat drone operation 5 is no longer needed and is going to be removed from game.

Well, or at least use a little forethought... decide if 3 weeks of use is worth 1 week of training. Or if a couple days to level 3 or 4 is worth it based on how you intend to play in that time.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#29 - 2014-05-04 16:37:53 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
I have been building an anonymous alt to actually play the PvP portions of the game again.

Anything in particular stopping you from pvp as Dinsdale?
I personally would be delighted to see you in Adirain :)

Why hide behind some sh!tty alt?

Invalid signature format

Hendrik Tiberius
Red Phoenix Rising
#30 - 2014-05-04 19:49:21 UTC
Thank you Tika Hemah, I just started training Combat Drone Operation and now I switched. This makes my training more efficient Big smile. Just wanted to let you know at least one person appreciates your tip.
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-05-04 19:58:10 UTC
GreenSeed wrote:
Tika Hemah wrote:

I hope for those of us that trained CDO to 5 based on the dev blog will get a skill point refund.

oh lol, you must be new here.

YOU... must be new here. Every time they have done away with a skill they have refunded the skill points the player spent on that skill to reallocate as they see fit. Blink
mkint
#32 - 2014-05-04 20:06:09 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
GreenSeed wrote:
Tika Hemah wrote:

I hope for those of us that trained CDO to 5 based on the dev blog will get a skill point refund.

oh lol, you must be new here.

YOU... must be new here. Every time they have done away with a skill they have refunded the skill points the player spent on that skill to reallocate as they see fit. Blink

except ccp's stance in this case is that no skills are being removed, just repurposed. For reference, I direct your attention to the "ethnic relations" skill that was changed from completely necessary to completely useless with no reimbursement.

Dave stark
#33 - 2014-05-04 20:09:37 UTC
i'm probably going to train it anyway, 5% more damage is always nice and they might backtrack. it's only like what, a week of skill training?
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#34 - 2014-05-04 20:10:04 UTC
Also since we go from 3 ranks of skills to 5, there is no way you actually loose SP when this update happens, you will gain SP in any scenario I can consider.
So there is no 'loss' to be compensated for.
Tika Hemah
Doomheim
#35 - 2014-05-04 20:42:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tika Hemah
Hendrik Tiberius wrote:
Thank you Tika Hemah, I just started training Combat Drone Operation and now I switched. This makes my training more efficient Big smile. Just wanted to let you know at least one person appreciates your tip.

Glad I was able to help.

Fly safe.
Dominus Tempus
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2014-05-04 20:46:39 UTC
Why is this a topic? They've already come out and said directly that if you have Combat Drone Operation V, you'll receive both Light Drone Operation and Medium Drone Operation at level 5 once they hit.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2014-05-04 20:52:57 UTC
mkint wrote:
except ccp's stance in this case is that no skills are being removed, just repurposed. For reference, I direct your attention to the "ethnic relations" skill that was changed from completely necessary to completely useless with no reimbursement.

Which should have been reimbursed.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Foxstar Damaskeenus
why did i join this corp
Not Purple Shoot It.
#38 - 2014-05-04 21:06:12 UTC
Frack it! I just want some free skill points man Lol

"[this thread] is a cesspit of trolling and flaming" ISD Buldath

Dominus Tempus
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#39 - 2014-05-04 21:15:34 UTC
Foxstar Damaskeenus wrote:
Frack it! I just want some free skill points man Lol

If you have CDO V then you'll get both new skills at level 5 automatically.
Lena Lazair
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2014-05-04 21:51:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Lena Lazair
Dominus Tempus wrote:
Why is this a topic? They've already come out and said directly that if you have Combat Drone Operation V, you'll receive both Light Drone Operation and Medium Drone Operation at level 5 once they hit.

Because you will also get Light and Medium Drone Operation at level 5 if you DON'T have CDO at level 5 but DO have Scout Drone Operation at level 5. If you don't have either at 5 it's more efficient to train SDO than CDO. However, the devblog has not been updated with this fact. This change was confirmed by a CCP response in the thread, but the devblog still contains inaccurate info that would lead people to needlessly train CDO to 5. Hence the PSA by the OP.