These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Time to extend the skill queue

First post
Author
Daenika
Chambers of Shaolin
#41 - 2014-05-04 02:45:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Daenika
Quote:
Just examples for the "subscription based queue" argument, but I still disagree. At face value its sounds very fair, but they want people to play this game not create a bunch of characters drop the cash/plex on a years worth of subscription and then not login till it was time to sell/play the character. While it most certainly aides situations like yours, it could hurt the game on multiple fronts.

Logging in to update your skill queue isn't playing the game, it's just needless annoyance, especially since they don't have a "lite" client or web-based option for it (for those of us with mobile solutions that don't have the capability to run EVE).

I just finished training an L4 mission runner alt. I logged in on that toon every day or two (every weekish near the end) for six months to update the skill queue. I never undocked until the toon was finished "cooking".

Please, tell me how I've added content to the game more than simply dropping a 6-month skill queue on that toon and waiting. I'd love to hear how. The only thing I did was minusculely increase average server load over those 6 months.

CCP gets their money either way, and there's functionally no difference on the content creation side. The people that actually undock and do stuff probably would have logged in even without the queue forcing them too, and the people that wouldn't log in still don't undock.

Your entire premise is based on the concept that people need to be *forced* by their skill queue to actually log in, but once logged in will cheerfully roam, kill, and be killed. This concept is positively batty. People will play when they want to, and won't if they don't want to. Logging in to update the skill queue has no statistically significant impact on that behavior.

And remember, longer queues don't necessarily mean you have to log in less. That's only the case if the skills you're training, on average, take less time to complete than the skill queue length. Now, if we make it the duration of the subscription (which I favor, incidentally), that's a different matter, but as above, it's not like people focus-training are adding any meaningful content anyway...
Habris
State War Academy
Caldari State
#42 - 2014-05-04 02:56:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Habris
@Daenika, CCP cannot force people to play however they can do their best to encourage it as much as possible, having to login to the game is essentially the first step. Congrats on the missioning alt, but to be honest to not utilize your toon during that period is kinda dumb, you could have at least used it for some sort of passive income. Just my personal opinion on that point. But you spent 6 month training a toon and I bet there was little to no issue keeping your skill queue full. From the sounds of it you were/are annoyed that you couldn't just set it and come back to a skilled toon... pretty lazy. You're also right CCP get their money either way, but as the player it's YOUR responsibility to keep your account training. We pay CCP for that ability, not guaranteed SP.

@Octoven what you mention is something I DO support a solution for, I would prefer the CREST thing not be a feature in the future but I'm not going to fervently speak against it. Just not a good idea in my opinion.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#43 - 2014-05-04 04:13:11 UTC
Daenika wrote:
Quote:
Just examples for the "subscription based queue" argument, but I still disagree. At face value its sounds very fair, but they want people to play this game not create a bunch of characters drop the cash/plex on a years worth of subscription and then not login till it was time to sell/play the character. While it most certainly aides situations like yours, it could hurt the game on multiple fronts.

Logging in to update your skill queue isn't playing the game, it's just needless annoyance, especially since they don't have a "lite" client or web-based option for it (for those of us with mobile solutions that don't have the capability to run EVE).

I just finished training an L4 mission runner alt. I logged in on that toon every day or two (every weekish near the end) for six months to update the skill queue. I never undocked until the toon was finished "cooking".

Please, tell me how I've added content to the game more than simply dropping a 6-month skill queue on that toon and waiting. I'd love to hear how. The only thing I did was minusculely increase average server load over those 6 months.

CCP gets their money either way, and there's functionally no difference on the content creation side. The people that actually undock and do stuff probably would have logged in even without the queue forcing them too, and the people that wouldn't log in still don't undock.

Your entire premise is based on the concept that people need to be *forced* by their skill queue to actually log in, but once logged in will cheerfully roam, kill, and be killed. This concept is positively batty. People will play when they want to, and won't if they don't want to. Logging in to update the skill queue has no statistically significant impact on that behavior.

And remember, longer queues don't necessarily mean you have to log in less. That's only the case if the skills you're training, on average, take less time to complete than the skill queue length. Now, if we make it the duration of the subscription (which I favor, incidentally), that's a different matter, but as above, it's not like people focus-training are adding any meaningful content anyway...

This.

While I appreciate the concept that some people can be fooled into playing, it is secondary to the understanding the players in this context are both maintaining a skill queue as well as paying a subscription fee.
Clearly they already intend to play, or they would not pursue either aspect.

If they have the opportunity to play, and the inclination, then they will.

If they feel maintaining a queue to be a burden, while not having time to actually play otherwise, it seems to me they might be pressured to walk away.
Especially if they have problems with their PC, removing their ability to log in to play or update said queue.

Take it from someone with IT experience, losing PC access while a box is shipped out for warranty repairs can take a month.
They can cancel the account through a web browser, but not update the skill queue that might motivate retaining the account during this period.

It simply makes more sense, in my opinion.
Daenika
Chambers of Shaolin
#44 - 2014-05-04 04:49:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Daenika
Quote:
Congrats on the missioning alt, but to be honest to not utilize your toon during that period is kinda dumb, you could have at least used it for some sort of passive income.

And such is your opinion. I'd love to know what sort of passive income you can think of, however, that doesn't require any additional training (since my L4 training plan only barely fit within the 6 dual-training PLEX).

Quote:
But you spent 6 month training a toon and I bet there was little to no issue keeping your skill queue full.

I was fortunate to not have any issues, therefore no one ever has any legitimate issues. Sounds legit...

As the posted above, I've lost my desktop for weeks before due to an RMA (in my case, my MoBo). All of my other devices are Android, and I sure as hell am not giving my account information to someone in a game environment like EVE, that's flat foolhardy. If I'd actually been subscribed at that time, I'd have been SOL.

Fact is, they flat need either extended skill queues, or an alternative way to update them. I'm personally in favor of an API that applications like EVEMon could interface with, but I'm also partial to subscription-length queues, or hell, even no-limit queues that simply cap on number of skills that can be queued at a time, rather than a maximum amount of time (the current skill queue systemalready a limit on number of skills that can be queued, it's just rarely encountered in normal use).

Quote:
You're also right CCP get their money either way, but as the player it's YOUR responsibility to keep your account training. We pay CCP for that ability, not guaranteed SP.

And where was it written that that responsibility had to be as cumbersome and annoying as possible? We're asking for a way to maintain that responsibility more easily when emergencies happen. That's what extended skill queues are about. Can you give me ONE solid reason why they shouldn't be in that doesn't ultimately boil down to one of the following?

- You're a bittervet and dislike new players having it easier than you had it starting out.
- You've never need it, and thus find it impossible to conceive of others needing it.
- Trying to imply that forcing people to log in to a game they are playing for will at all incline them to play it, when the money they are paying for it doesn't do so already.

Edit:
Quote:
They can cancel the account through a web browser, but not update the skill queue that might motivate retaining the account during this period.

This is very valid. I've discontinued my subscription in the past because the hassle of logging in to update my skill queue without much gameplay opportunities otherwise wasn't worth it. If, however, I only had to log in, say, once every month or so, or just let EVEMon update the skills through the API, I probably would have stayed subscribed, because I always knew I'd come back to play again, I just needed to find more play time and people to play with. CCP would have made more money, ultimately, because I'd have been paying for another 6-8 months of subscription time that I didn't end up paying for because of the hassle of skill queue management.

And I know I'm not alone in that, either.
drillerkiller2004
Brazilian Vultures
Ferrata Victrix
#45 - 2014-05-04 07:39:02 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
The skill queue is a peculiar mini game in EVE. What keeps players tied to Eve is that damn skill queue. Even if you dont plan on playing that day or week, you still have to log in just to adjust skills. A feature that should at least have an external way of adjusting. Hell, even allow it to be adjusted via the forum/character profiles.

What the justification for limiting the skill queue is beyond me. How does logging in to adjust it then logging out help the Eve expereince at all?

So with that, I suggest extending the skill queue or allowing players to adjust the current limited queue via an external website.

I totally agree
Seith Kali
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#46 - 2014-05-04 08:03:13 UTC
You are right, of course, but what it does do is open up a lot more options. You would still log in every day to keep the queue full 'just in case' but it would be far easier to not 'have' to any particular day.

It just helps players that me that have other hobbies outside eve. I don't necessarily want to log in every day. I want to take a week off here and there, and when I am off I sure don't want to have to RDP because I have ran out of skills that fit into my RL schedule.

Whoever mentioned 'get a friend to do it' earlier in the thread should be banned for encouraging breaking the Eula.

Apprentice Goonswarm Economic Warfare Consultant - Drowning in entitlement and privilege. 

King Fu Hostile
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#47 - 2014-05-04 09:14:13 UTC
Extend? No ******* way thank you very much, my skill queue finishes in 52 days, 7 hours, 56 minutes and 2 seconds and most certainly does not need to be extended at all.
Gawain Edmond
Khanid Bureau of Industry
#48 - 2014-05-04 09:17:04 UTC
no this is a terrible idea you should stop having those they're bad.

if you can't get on for an unknown period of time you set a long skill

if you can't get on for about a week you train a skill that's going to take more than a week

if you have none of those options well then that's your problem for poor planning
Rykoszet
CBC FORGE
Mostly Newbies
#49 - 2014-05-04 09:21:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Rykoszet
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
The skill queue is a peculiar mini game in EVE. What keeps players tied to Eve is that damn skill queue. Even if you dont plan on playing that day or week, you still have to log in just to adjust skills. A feature that should at least have an external way of adjusting. Hell, even allow it to be adjusted via the forum/character profiles.

What the justification for limiting the skill queue is beyond me. How does logging in to adjust it then logging out help the Eve expereince at all?

So with that, I suggest extending the skill queue or allowing players to adjust the current limited queue via an external website.

Buy a Laptop.... my first mind!

ACTIVE ORBITING https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=322910&find=unread

Hairpins Blueprint
The Northerners
Pandemic Horde
#50 - 2014-05-04 11:35:25 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:

it will stay this way coz ccp thinks if you have to log to update skiills you may play a while too and contibiute to the world by geting kiled.

but soon we may be able to change skill que out side of the game on phone or whot ever Thx to crest
Jaz Antollare
UrAnus Probing Squad
#51 - 2014-05-04 11:52:48 UTC
I support that the skill queue should be accessible just from out of game. For example right now i dont have a way to log in in to the game cuz im on vacation for some time, and nowhere near my reach is a pc strong enough and that has an eve client.
I Have 18Accounts
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2014-05-04 12:31:56 UTC
Yes. And my name has everything to do with it. **** off already.
Pubbie Spy
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2014-05-04 12:40:03 UTC
Habris wrote:

30-day queue for a 30 da..... no no no no no no NO NO NO.

Kick widot.

Just because you are a sperg whose life is sufficiently centered around eve that "remote access my PC" seems like a reasonable thing to do doesn't mean everyone else can't have a life. Seriously, you're worse than the idiots who cried when Kerbal Space Program introduced time compression.
Damienwhat Solette
The Artist's
#54 - 2014-05-04 12:48:58 UTC
drillerkiller2004 wrote:
Doireen Kaundur wrote:

I totally agree

I Don't think i do.

Eve is all about the skill queue to get places you want to be in the game, if you're planning on not playing the game, what's the point in having a longer queue, to train a character to make isk even though you'd put more isk into it to just keep the subscription up?

Regardless, you can still queue up long skills like 30day skills, having an external place to update the queue wouldn't be playing eve would it?

There are api keys available to monitor when your queue is going to expire, i'd say that's more than enough.

If you have a problem with that, i'd suggest you go play WoW some more...
Titan Andronicus
Rookie Mission Tax Haven
#55 - 2014-05-04 14:45:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Titan Andronicus
I don't play WoW.

I do have a planned absence of 14 days coming up. The longest skill I can train is 10d 20h. I'm not leaving my PC on for two weeks while I'm out of the country to use the remote access work-around.

This idea is about providing equality of access to newer players who have more short skills than long skills.

I understand that CCP wants me to play everyday. I don't mind that, and reading one of the blogs a trader was able to fit his RL commitments around a daily 30 minutes of play time. But even he lost potential skill points because of a business trip. Because EVE advancement through skills is based on real time and not play time, any break in training which I cannot easily accommodate is a waste, and because I've subscribed with money it is specifically a waste of money.

To avoid wasting my money I could cancel my subscription instead so I have no active account during my absence. And after a one month absence from EVE enjoying RL would I re-subscribe? Am I that invested and motivated? I can be a bit of a grass-hopper...

I also understand that if you don't have many short skills then a skill queue extension is of little use to you. However please try to be sympathetic to newer players. I still have not read a genuine counter-argument if there is a drawback, only adverse reactions about how other people think other people should access the game by adapting to its (unnecessary) limitations.

External access is still just another work-around. 30-day skill queue for my 30-day paid subscription, many thanks :)
Tara Tyrael
Quantum Anomaly Corporation
#56 - 2014-05-04 15:02:02 UTC
I don't see the point... 24 hours is enough

After you get like 20 or more mill SP you hardly need to change skills that often. Most of my toons about now are training 5 days to 20 day skills on average, so its not that much of bugger.

True it would be nice to be able to change the skills in training through eve gate so I don't need to log out my main to change skill on my other toon on same account, but not so much of an issue
Titan Andronicus
Rookie Mission Tax Haven
#57 - 2014-05-04 15:05:55 UTC
Tara Tyrael wrote:
I don't see the point... 24 hours is enough

After you get like 20 or more mill SP you hardly need to change skills that often. Most of my toons about now are training 5 days to 20 day skills on average, so its not that much of bugger.

True it would be nice to be able to change the skills in training through eve gate so I don't need to log out my main to change skill on my other toon on same account, but not so much of an issue

I have 1.8m SP and I feel like I have adequately explained why a 30-day queue would be beneficial. I'm sorry that you can't accept my point of view as a genuine concern, or least it feels that way.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#58 - 2014-05-04 15:06:44 UTC
The argument that players should need to log in, in order to update the skill queue, appears based off of one of two things.
1. It should be difficult, because in the past it was even harder than this. Go back in time and give me back my skill time I lost or forget it.
2. Some players are easily influenced, and seeing the shiny log in graphics will make them forget other plans and start playing the game instead. (I know, it sounds like a joke, but the exposure to EVE's log in may seem like a commercial for the game)

The argument for needing only a web page or app, is based off the equally if not more likely version of events, where a player is either unable to log in due to technical issues, or is simply taking a break from the game.

As such, the game for them can be described as 'breakage'
The player is paying for a product or service not being used. Almost comparable to a charitable donation to the game, really.

Now, if you push these people to need the technical hardware, as well as the time and availability to log in as needed up to once every 24 hour period, in order to justify the continued income to CCP...
Maybe you dislike CCP?
Titan Andronicus
Rookie Mission Tax Haven
#59 - 2014-05-04 15:12:43 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
The argument that players should need to log in, in order to update the skill queue, appears based off of one of two things.
1. It should be difficult, because in the past it was even harder than this. Go back in time and give me back my skill time I lost or forget it.
2. Some players are easily influenced, and seeing the shiny log in graphics will make them forget other plans and start playing the game instead. (I know, it sounds like a joke, but the exposure to EVE's log in may seem like a commercial for the game)

The argument for needing only a web page or app, is based off the equally if not more likely version of events, where a player is either unable to log in due to technical issues, or is simply taking a break from the game.

As such, the game for them can be described as 'breakage'
The player is paying for a product or service not being used.

Excellent summary :D
Daenika
Chambers of Shaolin
#60 - 2014-05-04 16:35:20 UTC
Most of these arguments ultimately boil down to people believing that all other players should be as committed or more to the game as them, and that anyone that isn't, anyone that doesn't plan their life around EVE, that wouldn't have been willing to set a 3:30 AM alarm to update their skill queue back in the dark ages of EVE, that doesn't have a security vulnerability application installed on their computer, that doesn't violate the EULA and open up a ridiculous security vulnerability to their account by sharing their account information with a friend (in a game where it's said that you're supposed to sell out your own grandmother for a sufficient amount of Isk), that doesn't foresee unforeseeable circumstances like hardware crashes...

No, all of these people are simply not playing the game sufficiently fervently, and thus don't deserve access to it.

It's bittervets hating anyone that has it easier than them (despite the fact that EVE's continued existence and growth essentially hinges on attracting new players to the game). It's players whose lives revolve rather unhealthily around EVE, and either have internalized this and believe anyone's whose life isn't so centered is less worthy of playing, or who unconsciously deplore such attachment, and thus lash out at anything that would provide evidence of such addiction (because hey, right now they have to log in every day, and who's then to blame them if they go out and get a kill...then spend 4 hours gassing....then run a dozen missions...then join a fleet roam....etc).

There has yet to be a single counter argument that doesn't ultimately boil down to either disgruntled projection, and inability to conceive of others finding use in a system oneself has never absolutely needed, or the wholly fallacious argument that forcing people to log in to update their skill queue increases the active player population and might "trick" players into playing more (when they already have a $15/month (or ~700m isk/month) deficit convincing them to).

Seriously, step away from your personal incredulity, bitterness, and lashing out, and realize that this does nothing to harm the game (literally, no statistically significant harm at all), and makes the game a LOT easier to access for many players, particularly those with more limited play schedules, more unstable play schedules, or those without the SP to drop a 60 day train into their queue when they go on vacation. CCP makes more money, the game is not harmed and likely ultimately has more active players in the long run, an no one that came before is harmed except to put their ridiculously EVE-centric lifestyle in a bit more sharp contrast.