These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

How and Why CCP intentionally drives PLEX prices up

First post
Author
Kirsi Kirjasto
Aggressive Structural Steel Expediting Services
#1 - 2014-05-03 11:45:46 UTC
Now, this isn't a complaint. I want PLEX to be expensive because I don't think broke scrubs and noobs should be able to 'fly for free'.

That said, PLEX price surges are easy to explain.

A PLEX is simply a 'gift certificate' for game time. A player pays currency and gets a PLEX.
The PLEX represents a promise from CCP provide 30 days of server resources (or AURUM) to the bearer.
Destruction of PLEX is the equivalent of tearing up these 'gift certificates' - or flushing them down the toilet.
This makes CCP happy because they collected $$$ without having to provide a service. The gift certificate, though paid for, never will be redeemed.

So,
-CCP can create or remove ISK from the game at will. (We know this because of negative ISK accounts reported for RMTers.)
-PLEX are available on the open market for ISK, and CCP can create or destroy alts at will.

CCP simply creates ISK out of thin air, then buys them off the market (injecting ISK into the game), and then trashes them.

Result? PLEX prices go up.
CCP then invites players to buy more PLEX - for those players to sell on the market for ever higher amounts of ISK.

Of course, ISK inflation results as CCP pumps ISK into the system via PLEX buys.
But why would they care? They are earning cash without having to provide valuable 'server resources' for that cash.
All they have to do is provide ISK which is 'free'.....even though it erodes the buying power of everyone 'honestly' playing the game.

Simple. Corrupt. Profitable. And CCP is easily capable of it. It is a business, after all.
Further, its completely legal.

And they should do more of it. PLEX should remain a luxury item for the wealthy.
Karen Avioras
The Raging Raccoons
#2 - 2014-05-03 11:47:06 UTC
get an avatar so that you have a face I can hate.
Adunh Slavy
#3 - 2014-05-03 11:51:19 UTC
So they spend a lot of real life money, to design and code a new industry system, full of new ISK sinks. And then inject ISK into the economy, as you claim to drive up PLEX prices. Yeah, right.

CCP does some silly things sometimes, but they are not stupid.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#4 - 2014-05-03 11:52:25 UTC
It's funny, he puts so much effort into these **** threads it's hilarious. What are the chances "something happened" to him on his main(s) and is being butt hurt over it.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#5 - 2014-05-03 11:52:52 UTC
So how do you explain the fact that they're doing the exact opposite?
Oh, and you know that ISK is currently deflating, right?

Quote:
Yes it is. Higher demand from players (for numerous reasons) without a higher supply from people putting them on the market.
Kirsi Kirjasto
#6 - 2014-05-03 11:53:51 UTC
Tippia wrote:
So how do you explain the fact that they're doing the exact opposite?
Oh, and you know that ISK is currently deflating, right?

Quote:
Yes it is. Higher demand from players (for numerous reasons) without a higher supply from people putting them on the market.

I think you are missing the point.
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#7 - 2014-05-03 11:55:22 UTC
Oh it's Wilkus, wtf man.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#8 - 2014-05-03 11:55:26 UTC
Kirsi Kirjasto wrote:

The point that, while interesting, your hypothesis describes a situation that is pretty much the exact opposite of what is actually happening?
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-05-03 11:56:25 UTC
This is actually being done by the Illuminati in conjunction with the Fabian society and the Great White Brotherhood at the instigation of aliens right ?
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#10 - 2014-05-03 11:57:30 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Kirsi Kirjasto wrote:

The point that, while interesting, your hypothesis describes a situation that is pretty much the exact opposite of what is actually happening?

No the point is that he's intentionally trolling using statements he knows are false, hoping to catch people debunking them.... like you are right now :)
Obunagawe
#11 - 2014-05-03 11:58:14 UTC
Kirsi Kirjasto wrote:

And they should do more of it. PLEX should remain a luxury item for the wealthy.

Doesn't really work as the wealthy will be hit hardest by higher PLEX prices because of having accounts in the double or triple figures.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#12 - 2014-05-03 11:59:05 UTC
Gregor Parud wrote:
No the point is that he's intentionally trolling using statements he knows are false, hoping to catch people debunking them.... like you are right now :)

Hmm. Yes, that seems like a far more likely hypothesis than what the OP was presenting… so I'm on board with it.
Victor Andall
#13 - 2014-05-03 12:03:37 UTC
GD has really gone downhill since Kimmi left us and ran off to Tamriel.

Well.

More downhill.

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2014-05-03 12:03:48 UTC
Its funny how people don't realize that plexing does not make CCP get less money.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#15 - 2014-05-03 12:05:01 UTC
Rumour mongering on this level can actually get you banned. There's hoping.
Kirsi Kirjasto
#16 - 2014-05-03 12:05:41 UTC
Gregor Parud wrote:
he puts so much effort into these **** threads

Hilariously wrong on this count.

Gregor Parud wrote:
"something happened" to him on his main(s)

Also this.

But otherwise, quite astute. I LOLed.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#17 - 2014-05-03 12:07:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Nalha Saldana wrote:
Its funny how people don't realize that plexing does not make CCP get less money.

No its sad that those people are allowed into this game

And its sad when people use double negatives and I still +1 them because their point is valid.

But I like your Warhammer 40k reference in your Corp and Alliance names

But not the redundant apostraphe

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Solecist Project's Alt
Doomheim
#18 - 2014-05-03 12:09:00 UTC
I never really read threads from that coward,
but this one has the sound of IZ in the writing.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#19 - 2014-05-03 12:09:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Kirsi Kirjasto wrote:

So it's the part about you being butthurt that is astute, then, since that's all that remains? Lol

Solecist Project's Alt wrote:
I never really read threads from that coward, but this one has the sound of IZ in the writing.

Idk. Sounds more like a good old DE post to me, and something did happen to him… Twisted
Kirsi Kirjasto
#20 - 2014-05-03 12:11:23 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Kirsi Kirjasto wrote:

So it's the part about you being butthurt that is astute, then, since that's all that remains? Lol

Eternally.
12Next page