These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Fortune Favors the Bold

First post First post
Author
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#81 - 2014-05-03 00:02:38 UTC
Sizeof Void wrote:
I really think that increasing the amount of resources available in null space is going to make null sec even more politically static.

Wars are fought over limited resources, and when everyone has access to abundant resources, the incentive to go to war diminishes. I think it makes more sense to severely reduce any and all easily available resources, across the board in both high-sec and null-sec. Force more conflicts over resources to occur, by making them more scarce.

For example: how about moving *all* of the ABC roids to WH space for a while and see what happens? I'm sure that it would prove to be very entertaining, due to the dynamics of wormhole access.

Except that CCP once had limited number of resources.

Rather than war, high sec players that had to be at work or asleep during downtime logged it to find no resources. They then unsubbed. CCP greatly expanded ores in high sec belts and added missions to ensure there are always things for players to do.

Once upon a time, null ABCs and havens were rare. The result was that max profit came from not letting anyone else in. Small, very powerful corps controlling vast areas and making sure they were the only ones that have access. The one sitting on the gold mine is very hard to kick off by people sitting on mud farms. So hard, wasn't worth a try.

CCP had to drastically up the ABCs and havens to get those that control null to let others in.

So, what you're suggesting, already tried, and the result was very bad for a company whose income is based on increasing subscriber base. Limited resources = fewer subs = bankruptcy.

Your goals are not their goals.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#82 - 2014-05-03 00:05:16 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

It is only a matter of time before the cartel leaders start demanding of their serfs minerals, or uncompressed ores, as part of their monthly tribute.

Already do man. Part of our corp's monthly rent is ice and POS fuel.

Furoth
Black Avarice
Skeletons in the Closet
#83 - 2014-05-03 00:09:28 UTC
I can't find a use for these ships for myself but I'm still getting one. :) Besides, it looks pretty good.

One of these and a high sec cap also; just because. :D
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#84 - 2014-05-03 00:12:27 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Why is Fullerides marked up as a link, but with no actual url?

This was a mistake (actually it was a reminder to capitalize this word) which has now been fixed.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Flay Nardieu
#85 - 2014-05-03 00:19:07 UTC
Interesting ship, I can see it opening some options. I'm pleasantly surprised it appears fairly balanced. As for the 'ABC' ore change I admit I have not dealt with them much, it seems good to me so I'll leave the debate on yea or nay to more experienced people Big smile
Alain Colcer
Nadire Security Consultants
Federation Peacekeepers
#86 - 2014-05-03 00:20:27 UTC
CCP, just to refresh some aspects of the lore and prime fiction you guys been using

ORE was a private enterprise by a gallente miner who found a massive nocx deposit in outer ring, however Serpentis executed a very hostile take-over about 4-5 years ago....

So everything ORE puts on the market today, is done under Serpentis management........

Not sure how all the empire factions along with CONCORD swallow that.
Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#87 - 2014-05-03 00:31:41 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Sizeof Void wrote:
I really think that increasing the amount of resources available in null space is going to make null sec even more politically static.

Wars are fought over limited resources, and when everyone has access to abundant resources, the incentive to go to war diminishes. I think it makes more sense to severely reduce any and all easily available resources, across the board in both high-sec and null-sec. Force more conflicts over resources to occur, by making them more scarce.

For example: how about moving *all* of the ABC roids to WH space for a while and see what happens? I'm sure that it would prove to be very entertaining, due to the dynamics of wormhole access.

Except that CCP once had limited number of resources.

Rather than war, high sec players that had to be at work or asleep during downtime logged it to find no resources. They then unsubbed. CCP greatly expanded ores in high sec belts and added missions to ensure there are always things for players to do.

Once upon a time, null ABCs and havens were rare. The result was that max profit came from not letting anyone else in. Small, very powerful corps controlling vast areas and making sure they were the only ones that have access. The one sitting on the gold mine is very hard to kick off by people sitting on mud farms. So hard, wasn't worth a try.

CCP had to drastically up the ABCs and havens to get those that control null to let others in.

So, what you're suggesting, already tried, and the result was very bad for a company whose income is based on increasing subscriber base. Limited resources = fewer subs = bankruptcy.

Your goals are not their goals.

No, you are speaking of a different problem, which resulted from a poor distribution of resources across player timezones, due to spawn times. I know because I used to live in one of those timezones, where resources were already mined out when I had time to play.

Limiting resources can be more "fairly" achieved by increasing the frequency of spawns, but reducing the quantity in each spawn, by making roids and ice much less productive.

Also, moving ABC roids to WH space would pose some new and interesting problems. Wormholes can open up to *any* location in New Eden, so it is much harder to control access to them. And, you can't jump in with a supercap fleet to protect them.

And, yes, my goals are the same as CCP's goals (I think) - more fun, more excitement, less boredom -> more stories, more subscribers, more money, no layoffs, game lives forever.
Darryn Lowe
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#88 - 2014-05-03 00:36:29 UTC
So looking forward to trying this new ship out.

I LOVE the Venture and it is truly my most favourite ship in game although I am currently running a Proc just for time constraints.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#89 - 2014-05-03 00:43:02 UTC
I am looking forward to a Prospect-ageddon event in the first week or two of release.

I will, of course, be building Prospects to sell during said event as well as investing ISK in marketing expenses (sorry, gank ships) to keep demand flowing.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#90 - 2014-05-03 00:48:00 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

dev blogs have been doing that recently :S

are you a csm yet hurry up

24 hours to go.

Good luck ;)

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#91 - 2014-05-03 00:49:53 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

This was a mistake (actually it was a reminder to capitalize this word) which has now been fixed.

Mistakes made by devs during fanfest might be accepted, but please don't repeat it when sober.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#92 - 2014-05-03 01:19:44 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

It is only a matter of time before the cartel leaders start demanding of their serfs minerals, or uncompressed ores, as part of their monthly tribute.

Not surprised at all.
Every day that passes, more confirmation floods in that this game is going to be null sec only soon enough.
Maybe wh's will survive as an entity.

But low sec (outside of FW) and high sec will soon (9-12 months) have conditions that make it impossible to eke out a living , let alone prosper.
Every high sec L4 mission runner and incursion runner is a pilot not paying a tithe to some cartel lord, and not grinding ISK and rocks to make stargates to the next area the cartels can control.
Flay Nardieu
#93 - 2014-05-03 01:27:41 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

Not surprised at all.
Every day that passes, more confirmation floods in that this game is going to be null sec only soon enough.
Maybe wh's will survive as an entity.

But low sec (outside of FW) and high sec will soon (9-12 months) have conditions that make it impossible to eke out a living , let alone prosper.
Every high sec L4 mission runner and incursion runner is a pilot not paying a tithe to some cartel lord, and not grinding ISK and rocks to make stargates to the next area the cartels can control.

CCP probably thinks independents will band together to overthrow over reaching power blocs. However self interest prevents formation of such bands and the revolutionaries tend to become like the tyrants they displace.
Equinox Ying
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#94 - 2014-05-03 01:28:44 UTC
I think this new ship will give lots of carebears the opportunity to venture (NPI) into low and even null to get diferent types of ores, I can certainly see my corp hosting frigate roams with ninja miners and other frigs just for the fun of it. I think this is a good step forward.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#95 - 2014-05-03 02:31:01 UTC
Equinox Ying wrote:
I think this new ship will give lots of carebears the opportunity to venture (NPI) into low and even null to get diferent types of ores, I can certainly see my corp hosting frigate roams with ninja miners and other frigs just for the fun of it. I think this is a good step forward.

Run the math on these ships.
Is the ore better, yes.

But run the logistics, and more importantly, time, needed to run an op of any size, and compare that to a high sec mining op.

Either way, you are in for a rude surprise as the months slip away and high sec mineral prices slowly sink, as more and more ore is mined and processed in null, while at the same time high sec demand for minerals drop as more and more industry is done in null.
Callduron
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#96 - 2014-05-03 03:54:25 UTC
Good job, this looks really fun.

I write http://stabbedup.blogspot.co.uk/

I post on reddit as /u/callduron.

Johan March
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2014-05-03 04:13:21 UTC
Looks like a fun little ship. I can't wait to do a Prospect blops drop.
G'host Warrot
Doomheim
#98 - 2014-05-03 06:25:23 UTC
I love u guys with ur tinfoilheads XD Its always everything for nullsec. Its bs guys.
Im living in low sec and its a nice place. No rents, only a few pirates, only the same afk cloakys XD and wannabe pros...but for the last ones we got some nasty ECM. So guys. Its the will to go there not the must or has to cause its flavor of the month to live there.
More Ore for me XP

By the way I like the Prospect. But did not know yet, for what I should 4 Lows. 1 Dcu, 1 MLU and now?
Good thing I accidently trained Mining Frigate to V a month ago XD

See in Space guys!
Rena'Thras
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#99 - 2014-05-03 07:51:31 UTC
Rovinia wrote:
This one doesn't have the "+2 warp core strength" Role bonus the Venture has, is that right? Not that i want to complain about it, the exchange for the Covert Ops Cloaking device is good enough and there has to be a way to gank these little rascals Blink

Just not sure if it's a mistake or intended.

True...but it has 3 more low slots. So you could potentially get it to have +4 warp core strength (the Venture would max at +3).

It'll kill your targeting range, of course, so you would need to keep your range above 2km so the asteroids you're mining wouldn't prevent you from cloaking if you had to run and there were FIVE ships trying to scramble you...but if you're concerned about warp core strength AND the Covops cloak isn't good enough protection in your mind, you can load out some/all of those extra low slots.

Personally, I like this new ship. Between it and the Astero, we're getting a lot of goodies for explorers/industrialists, which are generally overlooked when it comes to ships. Overall, I like the directions that CCP is going - balance the existing PvP ships, add some new ships for explorers/industrialists to round out the holes in the fleet.

I'm kind of wondering if they'd care to do something similar for mining barges, though they already have T2 versions. Mostly because, as cool as this little ship is, it can't mine Ice...

And, obviously, you need ice to be coolest. :)
Catherine Laartii
Doomheim
#100 - 2014-05-03 07:51:41 UTC
Should have swapped a low for a high. 2nd utility high for a probe launcher to scan those gas sites down would be ideal, although to be fair you CAN use a mobile depot, it IS a bit of a hassle and wastes a bit of time. I guess the idea is just to drop a laser for the launcher, and swap it out when you find one you like?